Coach's Corner with Don Cherry season 2019-2020 (not a general Don Cherry thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I stand with Don Cherry 100% on this and frankly find it disgusting the lack of respect for Canadian customs and traditions that has taken hold over the last 5-7 years. A poppy is a sign of respect for the sacrifices made during a crucial time in not only our countries, but global history. At least Don says it like it is because he isn't remotely wrong in his words either, however tactless he may put them.

Walk downtown Toronto, look at the lapels, says it all really.

If you don't like where this country is headed you can get out.

Reactions: 4Orr

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
The fact that his boss apologized for him is evidence enough that it was offensive.

Any sentence that generally starts with "you people" is motivated by something negative.

That doesn't prove anything at all.

All that proves is that Sportsnet is trying to cover its corporate ass knowing that there are a lot of whiners out there looking to create controversy out of nothing and that the vast majority of media in this country fit into that group.

They are a weak company that makes the wrong decision time after time and realize that for most people a comment about this does nothing but for the feeble minded out there they will see it as them agreeing that Cherry was wrong and put down their swords for a minute while looking to find something else they can get outraged over.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
We have no idea if that is true or not.
I'm definitely more on your side of things when it comes to this, and other issues outside of hockey :laugh:

TSN definitely would have done the same though. Companies, actors, athletes, etc always apologize when it can potentially hurt them financially.

Cowards is a good word for it, most of the time.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I stand with Don Cherry 100% on this and frankly find it disgusting the lack of respect for Canadian customs and traditions that has taken hold over the last 5-7 years. A poppy is a sign of respect for the sacrifices made during a crucial time in not only our countries, but global history. At least Don says it like it is because he isn't remotely wrong in his words either, however tactless he may put them.

if he just said your last sentence no one would have disagreed with him.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
That doesn't prove anything at all.

All that proves is that Sportsnet is trying to cover its corporate ass knowing that there are a lot of whiners out there looking to create controversy out of nothing and that the vast majority of media in this country fit into that group.

They are a weak company that makes the wrong decision time after time and realize that for most people a comment about this does nothing but for the feeble minded out there they will see it as them agreeing that Cherry was wrong and put down their swords for a minute while looking to find something else they can get outraged over.

Would you say you encourage comments that start with the words "you people" and lead into a comment that encourages people to assimilate?

Reactions: rednivlab

Ahoy there

Always in control of my stick
Nov 10, 2018
NC via WI
Not much more capitalistic than distilling support for those that serve(d) to something that needs to be purchased and displayed. What a boring dystopia, eh?

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Would you say you encourage comments that start with the words "you people" and lead into a comment that encourages people to assimilate?

That seems a little general but I would say that I don't see anything inherently wrong with it. I would judge the comments based on what came after those words not on them alone.

There is no problem with encouraging people to adopt social norms of the country they are living in.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
The truth hurts. I invite you to walk around any Canadian city and not come to the same conclusion yourself. What's sad is that so many Canadians have been effectively brainwashed into hating their own history. Lay off the Colbert Report and facebook news feed and you'll make some progress one day.

What conclusion?

Few people where I live wear a poppy. Can't say one group of people wears it more than another, but ok.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Non-white, 33 years old and have worn a poppy since childhood. I found absolutely nothing wrong with Cherry's comments. He basically called out a urban Canada for not giving a rats ass about November 11th. I had a school teacher on facebook criticizing the poppy - saying how it's become symbolic of racism and is not inclusive to all people.

I grew up learning about the horrors of WWI and WWII. Witnessed a WWII vet break down when recalling his memories of the war. I feel super fortunate to have lived off the contributions of those that fought against racism and hate (eugenics). Unfortunately a lot of people opt not to care anymore. That includes some of my friends who grew up here and belittle WWI and II.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
If you don't like where this country is headed you can get out.
I'm good, I respect our country and so should you, we shouldn't disrespect our past and culture and go with the flow because of some people who want to sugar coat the world while treating Canada like a toilet. The difference between people like Don and the rest is he'll fight for it. We don't run

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
People who call those who don't wear poppies *******s, are bigger *******s than those who don't wear them..

Like it or not, a poppy is a political statement and a show of support for the military,.
Donating to the poppy fund and wearing a poppy is a way of showing support to those who sacrificed themselves for our freedoms in Canada and for others. Some of those who served had no choice. While politics are played across the media and in governments, the people who serve(d), serve(d) for freedoms, not politics. Your lack of appreciation for those who helped protect our country and other countries is disgusting.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
What conclusion?

Few people where I live wear a poppy. Can't say one group of people wears it more than another, but ok.

I don't know why you bother. The poster you're replying to is referencing The Colbert Report. A show that hasn't been on the air in five years. He's obviously not culturally aware.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
The only garbage in this thread are Don Cherry, the corporate culture that has fostered him, and his supporters.
I think you have it backwards, but that's fine. Political correctness and the softening of our way of life is killing this country. Would I like Don to put it better? Sure, but he isn't remotely wrong.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK

Canadian customs and traditions? I’ll say it again. An American woman and French woman began the tradition in London, United Kingdom in 1921. It was later picked up by Commonwealth nations and in the US but has fallen out of favor in the US. It’s a borrowed tradition and not a Canadian custom.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I'm good, I respect our country and so should you, we shouldn't disrespect our past and culture and go with the flow because of some people who want to sugar coat the world while treating Canada like a toilet. The difference between people like Don and the rest is he'll fight for it. We don't run

Fighting from a sportsnet studio during the intermission of hockey games. That's the softest thing I've ever heard of.

Reactions: rednivlab

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Canadian customs and traditions? I’ll say it again. An American woman and French woman began the tradition in London, United Kingdom in 1921. It was later picked up by Commonwealth nations and in the US but has fallen out of favor in the US. It’s a borrowed tradition and not a Canadian custom.
Culture adapts and becomes it's own thing. We all know being Canadian is different than being American regardless of where the idea for Canada started. Don't be daft and I really don't need a history lesson that amounts to nothing.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Fighting from a sportsnet studio during the intermission of hockey games. That's the softest thing I've ever heard of.
The man is 80 and would likely 2 piece you for fun. As a matter of fact, why don't you tell Don what you think of him if you ever see him, or any of his supporters. I gaurantee your whole "soft" thing would get straightened out tout suite.

Also, yes you can fight the good fight from a PR standpoint, it happens all the time and the vast, VAST majority of Canada agrees with Don Cherry's sentiment if not the way he put it on air.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I think you have it backwards, but that's fine. Political correctness and the softening of our way of life is killing this country. Would I like Don to put it better? Sure, but he isn't remotely wrong.

If this country can't handle not making bigoted statements on cable TV it deserves to be trashed.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
If this country can't handle not making bigoted statements on cable TV it deserves to be trashed.
If snowflakes can't handle someone speaking their mind before going meltdown, full offended mode (which it does on the regular from Twitter to cable) they deserve to be laughed at and trashed.

Reactions: End on a Hinote

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
"You people who" This could mean anything and that's what he said. It can mean any denomination, race, creed, or gender. He didn't just say You People.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad