Coach's Corner with Don Cherry season 2019-2020 (not a general Don Cherry thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
absolutely true....I mean there’s no way he wasn’t speaking to all Canadians when he said this.

“You people come here and drink our milk and honey, the least you could do is give a couple bucks for a poppy"

Yup, that’s to all Canadians.
That's what I said he began talking to ALL Canadians and then referred to new Canadians when he said "you enjoy how we live in Canada...." even that can still be referring to all Canadians because you were born here and if not for the men and women who fought in the war you couldn't live the same way of life. His words were misunderstood, I'm sure that he meant well.

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
It is about the VETERANS....

It was a symbol of remembrance for those who died during the first and second world wars. The original intent of the poppy appeal was to support the veterans of those wars, and if it was all about remembering their sacrifice there would be no problem.

It's no longer a symbol of remembrance though. It's been hijacked to represent military glorification and a warped sense of nationalism. Don't wear one and you're attacked by poppy fascists like Cherry or yourself and accused of lacking respect.

May 31, 2006
I wish Cherry didn’t talk at all about things not related to hockey. I watch Coach’s Corner for Don’s hockey insights/analysis; he should keep everything else to himself.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
no, I don't have any respect for vets of Iraq or Afghanistan because the military isn't fighting for our freedoms anymore and they all knew it when they enlisted.

Could you imagine not only being this ignorant but seeming to be proud of it as well.

As ridiculous as everything that ottawa has said in this thread that is nothing compared to the absolute garbage spewed here.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Well....I will say to the mods I am sorry if I got too fired up. I had a friend get killed in Afghanistan and grandpas and grandpa-in-law in WW2...a brother in law a current cop and was friends of one of the mounties murdered in Mayerthorp since grade 6.

I have a bit of an appreciation for those who serve and know the kind well.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
It was a symbol of remembrance for those who died during the first and second world wars. The original intent of the poppy appeal was to support the veterans of those wars, and if it was all about remembering their sacrifice there would be no problem.

It's no longer a symbol of remembrance though. It's been hijacked to represent military glorification and a warped sense of nationalism. Don't wear one and you're attacked by poppy fascists like Cherry or yourself and accused of lacking respect.

Oh please...I dont give a shit if you wear the poppy. My issue is people disrespecting those that serve.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I'd have zero problem telling someone currently enlisted that they're a terrorist. It wouldn't be the first time either. They enlist knowing they could murder someone for nothing more than oil and to force our way of lives on others.

The modern day military doesn't do fck all for our freedoms.

Terrorists are typically defined as those who conscientiously attack civilians to achieve political aims. Unless the people you speak to have done that, your label if off base and makes no sense.

On another note, Cherry is a piece of garbage and should have been fired ages ago.

Reactions: Chainshot

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
You can thank the troops, and this country for your right to say that without getting absolutely dummied.
Keep spreading that propaganda. Keep the brainwashing alive and well.

I'll thank the real heroes, the ones that served before the military became just another political weapon to instill fear in those who have different beliefs and for oil.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
We are damn lucky to live in Canada, we are probably some of.. If not the luckiest people in the world. And people are upset about an older man, known for being a huge military supporter for being fired up about what he perceives as a lack of respect from the current generation and certain demographics? I wont say what my opinion is on the matter besides the fact, those wars were faught so we have freedom, and the freedom to even talk about this matter... He's free to say what he wants. I don't think saying "you people" is racist, he says worse things about European hockey plays on the daily and now we are fired up because it's military related? Okay I'm done.. Going to snack on some Canadian milk and honey.

Reactions: snag

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Terrorists are typically defined as those who conscientiously attack civilians to achieve political aims. Unless the people you speak to have done that, your label if off base and makes no sense.

On another note, Cherry is a piece of garbage and should have been fired ages ago.
A terrorist is a member of a terrorist organization. Of which would be defined as a group that uses fear to push their beliefs, which is exactly what modern day militaries do

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
Bull**** it's not a political statement. You wear a poppy it says "I support the troops". It's not just for those who died, in WW1 & WW2, and fought for our freedoms. It's also for veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan who signed up knowing they could kill innocent people over wars for oil money.

3 of my 4 grandparents served in WW2, the only one stop alive doesn't wear a poppy because he doesn't support what the military stands for now.

So again, yes, it is absolutely a political statement.

Nothing you said is political. Your relatives fought in a war? Good for them, respect. I hated the war in Iraq because it was based on a total fabrication, a complete and total lie. You know that, I know that. People of all political stripes know that today.

Doesn't mean I don't respect the soldiers who gave and sacrificed selflessly. Hating a sham war doesn't mean the regular people forced by others to fight in it don't deserve respect.

That respect is 100% apolitical. Theres NOTHING political about it. You've been brainwashed in to equating the sacrifice of regular folk with some political parties phony branding. That's your own hang up.

The poppy isn't political. It's just a nice remembrance. Good for people who wear one. If you don't wear one, not a big deal.

Reactions: snag

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
A terrorist is a member of a terrorist organization. Of which would be defined as a group that uses fear to push their beliefs, which is exactly what modern day militaries do

Please show me your source of that as the proper definition.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
It's right in the name, not hard to figure out

No. Words have meaning, and they matter. You don't personally get to decide a word's definition. So I'll ask you again to source your definition. If that's what the word means it should be the easiest thing in the world.

fancy dan

too many losing
Jun 21, 2011
A couple of things:

it's not Don Cherry's job to tell people (immigrants) how to act.

there is no onus on immigrants to conform to societal norms like wearing a poppy. they are free to choose to wear one or not wear one. this is one of the elements that makes our country "great".

Don Cherry is an entitled white man who has enjoyed the dividends from that life for a long time. he has no idea how many people (immigrants or not) wear poppies. Peering from the back of his limo, he's making snap judgements about people that he views as "other" or "un-Canadian" wtf that is. his anecdotal interpretation of the small swath of Canadians that he peers down on from his ivory tower is irrelevant and giving him a voice to assert this false claim is damaging.

referring immigrants as "you people" is divisive. they're not "you people", they're "us".

it's time that DC is taken behind the barn, hell it was time decades ago.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
It was a blatant dog whistle. Sad, but completely unsurprising to see people defend him.

The truth hurts. I invite you to walk around any Canadian city and not come to the same conclusion yourself. What's sad is that so many Canadians have been effectively brainwashed into hating their own history. Lay off the Colbert Report and facebook news feed and you'll make some progress one day.

Reactions: Zetterberg4Captain

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
If people don't think Don Cherry was being racist, can we all at least agree his comment was creating a problem out of thin air, just to be angry about something? Like the "war on Christmas" or video games causing violence, or rock and roll making teenagers in to satanists, or whatever other totally trumped up old person rage is the new fear mongering hotness?

Reactions: Pochiro

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
A couple of things:

it's not Don Cherry's job to tell people (immigrants) how to act.

there is no onus on immigrants to conform to societal norms like wearing a poppy. they are free to choose to wear one or not wear one. this is one of the elements that makes our country "great".

Don Cherry is an entitled white man who has enjoyed the dividends from that life for a long time. he has no idea how many people (immigrants or not) wear poppies. Peering from the back of his limo, he's making snap judgements about people that he views as "other" or "un-Canadian" wtf that is. his anecdotal interpretation of the small swath of Canadians that he peers down on from his ivory tower is irrelevant and giving him a voice to assert this false claim is damaging.

referring immigrants as "you people" is divisive. they're not "you people", they're "us".

it's time that DC is taken behind the barn, hell it was time decades ago.

Since when is wearing a poppy a societal norm? I went to the Leafs game yesterday, less than one in ten wore a poppy. Same at the mall, school, etc. Non-immigrants and immigrants alike don't wear poppies anymore.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Lol. Imagine calling somebody's comments, "Racist", as if white people never immigrate.

Good to see politically correct stupidity is alive and well in countries other than the US.

Reactions: Zetterberg4Captain

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
That's what I said he began talking to ALL Canadians and then referred to new Canadians when he said "you enjoy how we live in Canada...." even that can still be referring to all Canadians because you were born here and if not for the men and women who fought in the war you couldn't live the same way of life. His words were misunderstood, I'm sure that he meant well.
Yeah, you should turn on your sarcasm radar. He was targeting groups not speaking to all of Canada.

I hate repeating myself but go physically help vets, wearing a poppy for one day doesn’t do a lot nor does it make you a patriot.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
If people don't think Don Cherry was being racist, can we all at least agree his comment was creating a problem out of thin air, just to be angry about something? Like the "war on Christmas" or video games causing violence, or rock and roll making teenagers in to satanists, or whatever other totally trumped up old person rage is the new fear mongering hotness?

His comment didn't create a problem at all. It was just an observation he made and had an opinion about.

The only thing made up out of thin air is the whiners complaining about the accurate point he made.

Reactions: hoglund

Lexicon

Dec 7, 2006
No clue
Keep spreading that propaganda. Keep the brainwashing alive and well.

I'll thank the real heroes, the ones that served before the military became just another political weapon to instill fear in those who have different beliefs and for oil.

Lol.

You know it really is crazy to me that people like you exist. Getting all riled up over a sentence that Don Cherry says. Sure, maybe it could have been said better, maybe it could have not been said at all. But there's tons of statements that I may disagree with, that you may agree with - but I'm still fine with them being said.

In terms of the military - sure it's debatable about the political purpose of the wars in the last few decades or arguably all the way back to the Korean War. However, to say you think the men and women who have served and died in those wars did so with the mindset of "lets find oil", and if you regard them as terrorists. Shame on you. Shame on your entire spoiled entitled life. These people lived and died fighting under our flag, and made that contribution in their minds for you and I. The least you can do is say you know what, obviously I support the troops I just disagree with the reason they were there. But to call them terrorists?

And that leads me to my last point. I really doubt you have ever travelled anywhere outside of your basement your entire life. Maybe you went to a few protests waving a few slogans around on some sign. I have traveled. To some real shitty places. I've seen real systemic racism. I've seen sexism. I've seen real stuff, not a sentence stated by an old man on television that seems to trigger idiots like you. And guess what, if you're coming from outside the Western world, usually you do have an appreciation for what this country offers. Rule of law, freedoms, no random shooting, a functioning democracy - none of which exists in most parts of the world. And also, most importantly, very little censorship. People have the right to say what they want. And people like you, small minded little twerps who probably needs to go for a jog and wipe the ketchup off your shirt, are constantly fighting to limit people's speech.

If I have to choose between you and Don Cherry staying in the country, I say adios to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad