Coach's Corner with Don Cherry season 2019-2020 (not a general Don Cherry thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
The man is 80 and would likely 2 piece you for fun. As a matter of fact, why don't you tell Don what you think of him if you ever see him, or any of his supporters. I gaurantee your whole "soft" thing would get straightened out tout suite.

Also, yes you can fight the good fight from a PR standpoint, it happens all the time and the vast, VAST majority of Canada agrees with Don Cherry's sentiment if not the way he put it on air.

Cherry wouldn't be able to do a thing. Also do you have any link to support your claim that the vast majority of Canadians support his sentiment? I'll wait.

Reactions: 4Orr

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
We are damn lucky to live in Canada, we are probably some of.. If not the luckiest people in the world. And people are upset about an older man, known for being a huge military supporter for being fired up about what he perceives as a lack of respect from the current generation and certain demographics? I wont say what my opinion is on the matter besides the fact, those wars were faught so we have freedom, and the freedom to even talk about this matter... He's free to say what he wants. I don't think saying "you people" is racist, he says worse things about European hockey plays on the daily and now we are fired up because it's military related? Okay I'm done.. Going to snack on some Canadian milk and honey.

Except he specifically chose to target one group instead of the Canadian public at large (which doesn't wear poppy much these days either). What Don Cherry did caused a great amount of disservice to the veterans that he supposedly respects as now his words have surrounded Remembrance Day with this controversy when it should be about reflecting and acknowledging the sacrifices of the veterans.

If his goal was to promote the cause of the veterans and have people don the poppy, then he should have addressed the Canadian public at large and encouraged them to wear poppy. For example, if he just convinced 10% more Canadians to wear the poppy, then that would result in more people wearing poppy then if he somehow convinced every single immigrant who moved to Canada in the last 10 years to wear poppy.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Culture adapts and becomes it's own thing. We all know being Canadian is different than being American regardless of where the idea for Canada started. Don't be daft and I really don't need a history lesson that amounts to nothing.
I live in England dude. You do need a history lesson because you are wrong, 100% wrong. It is not a Canadian custom, it’s a borrowed tradition from the UK that all the victors of the WW1 celebrate around the globe. Sorry bub, it’s not inclusive to Canada.

Besides, when did Democracies mandate forced patriotism? Nothing smells like freedom like bullying people into wearing a poppy. Eh?

I don’t know your history of charity but I can say I have been working and helping Vietnam Vets since the early 1980s and it continued until I moved to the UK in 2016. If you think wearing a poppy one day a year is a big deal, you have missed the boat.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Donating to the poppy fund and wearing a poppy is a way of showing support to those who sacrificed themselves for our freedoms in Canada and for others. Some of those who served had no choice. While politics are played across the media and in governments, the people who serve(d), serve(d) for freedoms, not politics. Your lack of appreciation for those who helped protect our country and other countries is disgusting.
You mean freedoms such as the choice of what symbols to wear or not wear? I for one support an individual's freedom to make these types of decisions for themselves. You, or anyone else, doesn't get to talk out of both sides of your mouth like this.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I don't know why you bother. The poster you're replying to is referencing The Colbert Report. A show that hasn't been on the air in five years. He's obviously not culturally aware.

When you need to resort to nonsense 'gotchas' like this, it's clear to see who doesn't have a leg to stand on in a debate. Kindly go climb a mountain in Marrekech. ;)

Last edited:

NeverBeNormal

Mar 27, 2007
Geez, we're getting close to "Your ancestors were immigrants too!" territory here. Cherry's right, it's disappointing seeing something that only represents the heroes who fought for us fade off into the distance, particularly in urban centers.

As far as immigration goes, both sides are always going to argue over 'assimilation'. We want them more like us, they want us more like them, blah blah blah. Frankly I don't care where you're from, but if I go to someone else's house and they don't wear shoes inside, I take my f***ing shoes off.

Reactions: hoglund

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
When you need to resort to nonsense 'gotchas' like this, it's clear to see who doesn't have a leg to stand on in a debate. Kindly go climb a mountain in Marrekesh. ;)

You spelled Marrakesh wrong. 0/2. There's nothing more ironic than the people who resort into the " Look around our cities and look at how everything has changed! " who are so lacking in insight and whose worldview is entirely based on their own (bigoted) feelings. " Brainwashed into hating our own history? " Do you have any specific examples you can point to? Studies? Records?

Reactions: Zeppo and 4Orr

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Geez, we're getting close to "Your ancestors were immigrants too!" territory here. Cherry's right, it's disappointing seeing something that only represents the heroes who fought for us fade off into the distance, particularly in urban centers.

As far as immigration goes, both sides are always going to argue over 'assimilation'. We want them more like us, they want us more like them, blah blah blah. Frankly I don't care where you're from, but if I go to someone else's house and they don't wear shoes inside, I take my ****ing shoes off.

How do immigrants want us to be more like them exactly? What an inane statement.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Do I think the way Cherry went about doing it was right? Nope. On a National broadcast of which he is employed by was not the right way to voice his own personal opinion on the matter. If he wanted to voice his personal opinion on the matter he should of voiced it on his own social platform like twitter or even an opinion article in a paper.

Personally I wear the poppy for respect as I know vets from the Afghan conflict and have a lot of military history in my family. It doesn't bother me if I see other people not wearing a poppy as it is a personal choice to do so imo.

it is very interesting to read the extreme views from both sides regarding his comments though.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016

As far as immigration goes, both sides are always going to argue over 'assimilation'. We want them more like us, they want us more like them, blah blah blah. Frankly I don't care where you're from, but if I go to someone else's house and they don't wear shoes inside, I take my ****ing shoes off.
what if 40% of the houses you visit don't take their ****ing shoes off inside and you go over with a friend and both of you decide to keep them on and you get criticized for not taking them off and your friend doesn't. is it a valid criticism.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
what if 40% of the houses you visit don't take their ****ing shoes off inside and you go over with a friend and both of you decide to keep them on and you get criticized for not taking them off and your friend doesn't. is it a valid criticism.

usually the person that answers the door will or will not be wearing shoes inside the house which sets the tone...unless your friend is not very observent.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

This is a bad analogy. Sticking with your shoes on/off approach, what it's more like is "in our house you have the freedom to wear or not wear shoes", but then turning around and moaning about which choice they made.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Wow. There's actually people that think wearing the poppy in Canada is a pro war statement?

Unreal.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013

immigrants want us to be more like them?

that sure is news to me

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
“Those who don’t want to watch immigrants attacked and have their loyalty questioned by a regular weekly paid commentator just shouldn’t watch HNIC.”
Ever heard of free speech? You aren't the only one who has that right. There are many who think everyone in Canada should respect fallen soldiers and show their respect on one day a year by wearing a poppy. They are not attacking anyone. The only one being attacked is Cherry.

Reactions: Eyeseeing and 4Orr

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
You spelled Marrakesh wrong. 0/2. There's nothing more ironic than the people who resort into the " Look around our cities and look at how everything has changed! " who are so lacking in insight and whose worldview is entirely based on their own (bigoted) feelings. " Brainwashed into hating our own history? " Do you have any specific examples you can point to? Studies? Records?

So a 'gotcha' and a misspelling. Your posts are devoid of anything nearing value other than potshots and dumb,uninformed accusations. What's funny is that you still haven't disagreed with my point,which was that an honest review of all people in a major canadian city would lead you to the same conclusion that Cherry was making, which is that new arrivals (race being unspecified here) are less likely to be wearing a poppy. Go downtown any time today and come back with a report, let us know ;). I never said I even cared about people wearing the poppy, just that his statement wasn't inaccurate.

As for people hating our own history, just take this thread. You've got crazies labeling our entire military force as terrorists. I'm about as anti interventionist as it gets but to take it that far is lunacy and, in countries not as comfy as this one, that act alone can get you into some serious trouble. CBC pushes transgenderism on children, nobody bats an eye. Don Cherry suggests that people recently arriving from other cultures are maybe not as assimilated as he'd like, everyone loses their minds :sarcasm:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
So a 'gotcha' and a misspelling. Your posts are devoid of anything nearing value other than potshots and dumb,uninformed accusations. What's funny is that you still haven't disagreed with my point,which was that an honest review of all people in a major canadian city would lead you to the same conclusion that Cherry was making, which is that new arrivals (race being unspecified here) are less likely to be wearing a poppy. Go downtown any time today and come back with a report, let us know ;). I never said I even cared about people wearing the poppy, just that his statement wasn't inaccurate.

As for people hating our own history, just take this thread. You've got crazies labeling our entire military force as terrorists. I'm about as anti interventionist as it gets but to take it that far is lunacy and, in countries not as comfy as this one, that act alone can get you into some serious trouble. CBC pushes transgenderism on children, nobody bats an eye. Don Cherry suggests that people recently arriving from other cultures are maybe not as assimilated as he'd like, everyone loses their minds :sarcasm:

Please provide actual evidence for these statements and I'll gladly engage you. And for someone who's whining about gotchas and misspellings, " his statement isn't inaccurate " is awfully technical in defense of a statement where the intention is so transparent. And I'd like an explanation of how recently arrived immigrants are not assimilated. What do they have to do and how and in what timespan? I'd love to hear it.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
It does. It's a targeted comment towards a group of people of different nationality.

Would the word xenophobe make you happier?

Instead of focusing on your dislike of Don Cherry, why don’t you take a deep dive into the role of ordinary Canadians in both World Wars and then look at the sacrifices and service of the Canadian military.
Carefully consider the courage and selflessness of those who have gone before you and those that have your back now.
If you are really looking for truth you will find it and those comments that you are so offended by would not seem out of place.

Reactions: larmex99

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'll also say that Sportsnet needs to shit or get off the pot on this guy. It isn't any worse than a million other dumb things he's said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad