Coaching Thread (II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Let's not forget that he basically stocked this organization with AHL management. Zinger, Noel were Moose hold overs. Chevy had only had 2 years of front office experience in Chicago prior to coming here. Running an AHL farm club is a long way from the NHL.

Let's be honest hockey ops departments are hardly the pinnacle of excellence when it comes to job qualifications and education requirements.

Almost all are run by ex players with incredibly limited business/management accume. The one educated position a cross the board seems to be the capologist but most assistant GM positions are filled by ex players learning to cut their teeth. Scouting is largely composed of ex players ect.

It really doesn't make much of a difference to me which pool of players make up our org. What matters is that they do their jobs well. Can't really argue with Simmons job with regards to negotiating contracts, Keane and Roy with their job in player development or our amateur scouting staff. It seems our fitness director did a solid job as well.

Reactions: hn777

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
So players like playing with him, they just don't win. I don't care about how awesome he is at keeping his job.

I don't have an issue with him as a person. I have an issue with his outdated tactics and overall systems and philosophy.
I am not a fan of the Maurice extension (I voted "no" in the poll thread). I just found this piece interesting (also in connection with the other coaches mentioned), and fair to bring forward the information (positive or negative).

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I am not a fan of the Maurice extension (I voted "no" in the poll thread). I just found this piece interesting (also in connection with the other coaches mentioned), and fair to bring forward the information (positive or negative).
I wasn't attributing an opinion to you from your post. Just making a comment based on the article .. :thumbu:

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
I believe it was more of a Mark Chapman wanting to extend Paul Maurice than Chevy. The timing was interesting. Perhaps top management knew the team respects Paul so much that taking away his lame duck status would motivate them to play better. The downside is that with Paul being locked in for a significant period of time, the players might become lackadaisical.

Seven years in the Peg is a very long time for Paul Maurice and complacency has set in. The Jets could have waited until after the season to have their pick of the litter (Bruce Boudreau, Gerald Gallant, Peter Laviolette and perhaps two or more fired head coaches) should Maurice failed to take them to the playoffs.

Last edited:

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Being mediocre essentially means you’re f*cked. At least if you’re bad bad, you get top picks. At some point it usually turns around. Usually.
I get it that with Seattle coming online in 2021, there will be 32 teams in total and that’s not really a whole lot of head coach jobs available. Some cities (New York, Philly, LA, Anaheim, San Jose) are preferred locations for HC candidates while other cities (Winnipeg, Edmonton, Ottawa, Arizona) seek out desperate candidates.

Either Jets owners Chipman and Thomson are really in love with Paul Maurice or they were deathly afraid no candidates will want to be interviewed should Maurice be let go that Maurice was extended by default.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I get it that with Seattle coming online in 2021, there will be 32 teams in total and that’s not really a whole lot of head coach jobs available. Some cities (New York, Philly, LA, Anaheim, San Jose) are preferred locations for HC candidates while other cities (Winnipeg, Edmonton, Ottawa, Arizona) seek out desperate candidates.

Either Jets owners Chipman and Thomson are really in love with Paul Maurice or they were deathly afraid no candidates will want to be interviewed should Maurice be let go that Maurice was extended by default.

There was an interview with Boudreau last week and he basically said that he'd accept any NHL head coach job that he gets and part of him is worried if he will even get another chance. And Boudreau is one of the top tier coaches. NHL coaching is still a buyers market and no team has a shortage of good candidates esp this season with all the high profile HCs that were fired.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Boudreau is an exponentially better coach than Maurice undone by poor goaltending. His reputation as a choker is unearned and ridiculous and while I know it's not going to happen in a million years now, we would be beyond fortunate to have him as our coach. His Wild teams were largely devoid of talent and he had far more success there than they had any business having.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
There was an interview with Boudreau last week and he basically said that he'd accept any NHL head coach job that he gets and part of him is worried if he will even get another chance. And Boudreau is one of the top tier coaches. NHL coaching is still a buyers market and no team has a shortage of good candidates esp this season with all the high profile HCs that were fired.

Could soon be an opening for him in Toronto. :sarcasm:

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
now there is talk of 55 and pomo not getting along...what is going on with this coach and why is he even still coaching this team...how many players have to express some sort of criticism of pomo before the people in charge get the hint....really don't care for his critique of ehlers publically when 55 gets a free ride for his defensive play or 26 for his rather stupid lazy penlaties the last couple of games.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
now there is talk of 55 and pomo not getting along...what is going on with this coach and why is he even still coaching this team...how many players have to express some sort of criticism of pomo before the people in charge get the hint....really don't care for his critique of ehlers publically when 55 gets a free ride for his defensive play or 26 for his rather stupid lazy penlaties the last couple of games.

Where is this talk from? His play suggests theres an issue but ive heard nothing

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
After listening to Ray Farraro and Craig Button on TSN i came to see the heads exploding on here . :laugh:

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Missed it. Link, or the gist of it?
They both were talking about what a great job of coaching Maurice has done this season , should be up for Coach of the year and what a great coach he is . See , that's why i came to read this thread . :laugh:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Boudreau is an exponentially better coach than Maurice undone by poor goaltending. His reputation as a choker is unearned and ridiculous and while I know it's not going to happen in a million years now, we would be beyond fortunate to have him as our coach. His Wild teams were largely devoid of talent and he had far more success there than they had any business having.

If he was here we'd be talking about his almost constant inability to get out of the first round.

It's what HF does to their team's coaches.

Reactions: Duke749 and Jets 31

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
If he was here we'd be talking about his almost constant inability to get out of the first round.

It's what HF does to their team's coaches.
Some people, perhaps. I’d rather not paint the entirety of the fanbase with the same brush. Most reasonable people consider Boudreau the far superior coach of the two and for good reason.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
They both were talking about what a great job of coaching Maurice has done this season , should be up for Coach of the year and what a great coach he is . See , that's why i came to read this thread . :laugh:
So what was their reasoning for attributing Helle's goaltending to Maurice? Who did they attribute the ridiculous poor metric in both ends of the ice to? Obviously it wasn't to coaching so what was it? How about the garbage PK? Did they overlook that as well? It's almost as if they aren't actually doing any analysis...

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
So what was their reasoning for attributing Helle's goaltending to Maurice? Who did they attribute the ridiculous poor metric in both ends of the ice to? Obviously it wasn't to coaching so what was it? How about the garbage PK? Did they overlook that as well? It's almost as if they aren't actually doing any analysis...
I think Farraro and Button are smart hockey people so i don't know what to tell you . They both were were saying he's done a incredible job considering the personal change on defense and all the injuries the team has gone through . They didn't go as in depth as you would like or demand because it was Trade Center not a show about Paul Maurice .

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles

What is the talk?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

This is one of those things that you'll believe or not believe based on how you already feel about Maurice.

Feel like divulging where you're hearing this talk?

Reactions: Jets 31 and hn777

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
No. The "jet stuff" coming out of Toronto media is cringe worthy. They barely know who's on the team. Most of them just want to talk about Buff cuz that's all they know.
I think that’s an unfair thing to speculate about. Just like it would be unfair to suggest that if Button and Ferraro were to make negative comments about the job Maurice has done, that you would be among the first to suggest that they were misinformed and didn’t appropriately account for the difficult circumstances the team was playing under.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad