Coaching Thread (II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I don't think Chevy's really involved. Maurice has ingratiated himself with Chipman and so he's here for life. Even if the situation with the team on the ice goes completely sideways, Chipman will probably just move Maurice to some other job in the org...kind of like Katz did/does in Edmonton with Lowe.
I agree
Maurice will always be cozy here.
Next GM book it

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Moving early has ZERO effect on our organization to move in a different direction if at any point they realize Maurice is panning out.

See here is the thing about Chipman and good business pratices, he dwarfs everyone on this forum and probably in this city when it comes to running them. He understands the cost of change, the negative impacts of being impatient and changing for the sake of.

Chipman is a methodical business man that understands you invest in people, not businesses, you invest and you work to grow the competencies you desire from a coach not flip em like they have ZERO inability to grow.

Chipman has made a career of locking up the people he knows have the core competencies that promote teamwork, communication and the values he knows work in all successful businesses.

Younger generations really struggle with this concept. Something is not working for you, trade it, change it but do not waste any time trying to work with it to grow it to exactly what you are looking for.

That takes way to much time for younger generation who all want to end up in heaven, as long as they do not have to die to get there.

I admire your passion to defend this organization sincerely.
Loyalty is a good thing but results have to become apparent.
I’m iffy on this extension but it would be hard to fire someone on the heels of a 99 point season.
This season is another animal and that falls squarely on Cheveldayoff regardless of the Byfuglien situation.
So Maurice gets this extension on circumstances beyond his control, ok that’s fair.
The concerns for many are the indicators are trending in the wrong direction so again this year Maurice gets a pass.
Cheveldayoff has to make moves to improve this D corps.
My question is when does this organization hold Maurice accountable, my hunch is they won’t.
Cheveldayoff is going to be damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t.
The next firing which is at least 2 years away will be Cheveldayoff not Maurice.
Paul is in a good place no matter what.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
It’s just so strange that coaches (Boudreau & Gallant) who were able to obtain great underlying metrics from their rosters get fired while Maurice gets extended while being unable to generate good underlying metrics for the past year and a half.

This leads me to believe that Maurice is far more capable of playing back room politics and PR far better than Gallant and Boudreau? Because from a metrics perspective clearly the reverse should have happened.

Reactions: blues10

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
It’s just so strange that coaches (Boudreau & Gallant) who were able to obtain great underlying metrics from their rosters get fired while Maurice gets extended while being unable to generate good underlying metrics for the past year and a half.

This leads me to believe that Maurice is far more capable of playing back room politics and PR far better than Gallant and Boudreau? Because from a metrics perspective clearly the reverse should have happened.
Minnesota also a recent gm switch and seems like Guerin wants his own guy. I think gallant might be a bit of headache to deal with internally, they also did have a gm switch recently too.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Or it could be as simple as they want to win and win quicker then a 10 or 15 year draft and develop plan
Well Gallant has been pretty successful in two years in Vegas, and the team was playing well while he was there this year.

The wild have a first year gm, have a worse roster than the jets and are rebuilding, Boudreau still has them in the PO mix, even with some of the league worst goaltending . His contract ended at the end of this year and they won't hire a permanent coach until the off season. So fire him now or move on in the Off season makes little difference.

Reactions: hn777

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Perennial Cup contender, otherwise known as always the bridesmaid, never the bride.

Laviolette couldn’t bring a Cup to Nashville, same as Trotz.
So what's your point? Do you enjoy first round KOs or not watching the Jets through April-June?

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
They most certainly do. Just look at how agitated and frustrated Chipman get in games if you don't believe he personally wants to win.

They are a for profit entity and winning is so much more lucrative for them. Look at the street parties and how it brought thousands downtown. They are now opening their mega projects and they want people down town using things like the Street market, being excited so that they rent their apartments and buy their condos.

I guarantee that being uncompetitive is the last thing they want.

Chipman just seems to believe that he has the people in place to keep this team competitive. I get the last year has been frustrating and well below expectations but it was only a year and a half ago that we made our run to the conference finals.

He likely believes that Chevy has proven himself capable of building a strong team through the draft and that Maurice is capable of winning with a strong team.

By and large outside the last year and a bit I am happy with the job Chevy has done.

I'm not nearly as sold on Maurice.

But does mean chipman knows anything about owning/managing a sports franchise...comparing a regular business such as an automotive/commercial real estate to operating sports team is a bit of a stretch....this is not the same as running the moose, it is an entirely different animal than a nhl team where players are being payed in millions of dollars and the end result is a sc....the pressures in the ahl are different than in the nhl…..for the consumer, the price of going to a nhl game is whole lot more than a moose game....there was nothing in pomo's resume to suggest he was worth getting a 3 year extension.....the next stretch of games will be very telling as to what the players are thinking/feeling to be coached by pomo for the next 3 years.

Reactions: Teemusalami204

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
You said the team trades away first round picks chasing glory. They aren't down any first round picks. Besides, turns out I was wrong. They also had 2 first rounders in 2016, so they're +1 on firsts.

The most successful teams this decade have traded 1sts for help to win. Teams that have acquired a bunch of firsts for trading vets have not been successful. The vets they signed and plugged into the lineup for the first few years were to give the team's picks time to develop.

Just because they've plugged in a bunch of higher picks a year or two after they were picked (the obvious exception being Laine), doesn't mean that they're "draft and deploy". Lots of higher picks on many teams go into the lineup after a season or two of junior or a short stay in the AHL.

Where have the Jets really had the opportunity to be sellers of players who would return a first? They traded Ladd for a 1st at the deadline in 2016. Should they have traded Buff then? I'd say no. Trade Little for a first in 2018? The point of moving that first was to get help for Little. Myers last year? Wheeler last year? Bad decisions given where the Jets were in the playoff race.

you are forgetting they are also down 2 centres (hayes/statsny) who left the team as ufa's.

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013
Wild fire Boudreau. Almost 25% of nhl coaches fired this year. Jets status quo

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I admire your passion to defend this organization sincerely.
Loyalty is a good thing but results have to become apparent.
I’m iffy on this extension but it would be hard to fire someone on the heels of a 99 point season.
This season is another animal and that falls squarely on Cheveldayoff regardless of the Byfuglien situation.
So Maurice gets this extension on circumstances beyond his control, ok that’s fair.
The concerns for many are the indicators are trending in the wrong direction so again this year Maurice gets a pass.
Cheveldayoff has to make moves to improve this D corps.
My question is when does this organization hold Maurice accountable, my hunch is they won’t.
Cheveldayoff is going to be damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t.
The next firing which is at least 2 years away will be Cheveldayoff not Maurice.
Paul is in a good place no matter what.

You are implying that my passion and loyalty are blind, that regardless of circumstances and results I will continuously defend this team to the death. That is hardly the case, while I am passionate about my team I am also realistic about it as well.

Whereas blaming entities of my organization for factors and variables that are outside of their control, that blind finger-pointing and a need to always blame somebody or something for failed results, well I just kind of find those actions as useless as useless can be.

I prefer to analyze the actual game on the ice and understand that breakdowns happen and aren’t related to coaching our general manager transactions. It is a game played at the highest level and mistakes are made all the time, prefer to analyze the actual game as opposed to blindly looking at the coach and general manager in assessing all blame to them.

This season has not been a normal season and anyone trying to portray it as otherwise is completely ignorant. To assess blame and to blindly point your finger at our coach our general manager while ignoring the plethora of variables that are outside of their control is nonsense and its done to death on this forum. It seems like actually analyzing the game is a lost art on this board. It’s easier to just point your finger and your anger at the coach or general manager and place all blame.

At the beginning of the season when we knew that we would not be having our best defenceman in camp most if not all realistically assessed as as a wildcard team at best. Add in the absurd amount of injuries we have encountered this season on the backend, that would impact every damn team in the league heavily . Yet, here we are, we’re actually achieving that mark, which is fairly decent considering the things his team has had to endure, well now those results are deemed as underachieving, which is completely hypocritical .

Next season when we do not have major contract to be signed and we do not have a key piece deciding last minute to hold out, under normal landscape I expect us to address our deficiencies either in free agency or trades, and I expect our backend to be much stronger next year. If we have failed results under those circumstances I will definitely be analyzing our coaching and analyzing our general manager and assessing blame If it fits.

Last edited:

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
You are implying that my passion and loyalty are blind, that regardless of circumstances and results I will continuously defend this team to the death. That is hardly the case, while I am passionate about my team I am also realistic about it as well.

Whereas blaming entities of my organization for factors and variables that are outside of their control, that blind finger-pointing and a need to always blame somebody or something for failed results, well I just kind of find those actions as useless as useless can be.

I prefer to analyze the actual game on the ice and understand that breakdowns happen and aren’t related to coaching our general manager transactions. It is a game played at the highest level and mistakes are made all the time, prefer to analyze the actual game as opposed to blindly looking at the coach and general manager in assessing all blame to them.

This season has not been a normal season and anyone trying to portray it as otherwise is completely ignorant. To assess blame and to blindly point your finger at our coach our general manager while ignoring the plethora of variables that are outside of their control is nonsense and its done to death on this forum. It seems like actually analyzing the game is a lost art on this board. It’s easier to just point your finger and your anger at the coach or general manager and place all blame.

At the beginning of the season when we knew that we would not be having our best defenceman in camp most if not all realistically assessed as as a wildcard team at best. Now that we’re actually achieving that mark, which is fairly decent considering the things his team has had to endure, well now those results are deemed as underachieving, which is completely hypocritical .

Next season when we do not have major contract to be signed and we do not have a key piece deciding last minute to hold out, under normal landscape I expect us to address our deficiencies either in free agency or trades, and I expect our backend to be much stronger next year. If we have failed results under those circumstances I will definitely be analyzing our coaching and analyzing our general manager and assessing blame If it fits.

in last night's game they were outshot in every category...just like in most games since last season beginning after the xmas break.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
in last night's game they were outshot in every category...just like in most games since last season beginning after the xmas break.
Shots were not reflective of the actual game for those that actually watched it but either way what’s your point?

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
Shots were not reflective of the actual game for those that actually watched it but either way what’s your point?

just like since last season xmas break, how does one expect the results to be any different than before, obviously. most dangerous shots given up, least dangerous shots taken, most shots given up, least shots taken, etc.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
just like since last season xmas break, how does one expect the results to be any different than before, obviously. most dangerous shots given up, least dangerous shots taken, most shots given up, least shots taken, etc.
This team has always been a low shot volume team even 114 point season we were low in those metrics as well.

Last season we failed and I do place blame on our coaching and I place blame at the players for what transpired. I am actually seeing a better effort from our players this season than last season with lesser results. When you factor in all the players we are missing and the players that left if you’re being reasonable it was to be expected.

Reactions: Jets 31

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
this year i have learned the 19-20 Jets are the only team to have injuries, prolonging contract negotiations in the off-season, and lose players via free agency. How do other teams manage :dunno:
Ya, with several of the NHLs top Dmen pulling the plug on their seasons a day before camp started, with zero notice. Odd how that happened

Reactions: Jets 31

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
Ya, with several of the NHLs top Dmen pulling the plug on their seasons a day before camp started, with zero notice. Odd how that happened

several???...who are the several?......chevy know about chariot and meyers...what were his actions other than to sit on it.

Reactions: hn777

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
A poster mentioned MacTavish. MacTavish has no business being in the NHL.

I am now OK with Paul Maurice.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
It’s not. All the talk in Minny is about Guerin wanting his own guy and the rumor is it could be Doug Weight.
Unless they bring in Gallant, or some unheralded black swan, I'm pretty sure that they're going to be getting a significant downgrade behind the bench. Hard to tank with Boudreau I guess - so that probably makes sense for them anyway.

Reactions: Duke749

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
5v5

Jets 18-19 pre new year

HDCF% 49.03% (19th)
xGF% 50.35% (14th)

Jets 18-19 post new year

HDCF% 45.89% (27th)
xGF% 45.01% (30)

Jets 19-20 pre new year

HDCF% 40.27% (31st)
xGF% 43.28% (31st)

Jets 19-20 post new year

HDCF% 36.18% (31st)
xGF% 42.25% (31st)

Do the Jets have by far the worst roster in the league? I don't think so. :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad