Coach Discussion: Coaching Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Whatever you’re confident in, it is most likely the worst possible scenario regardless of the subject.

Lots of the times I'm right. Like I always say I base my opinions on how things have been handled since the jets came back. I dont expect things to just change.

I guess that makes me a pessimist.

Reactions: The Blue Baron

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Little would easily have got his deal on the open market and Wheeler would have got more if he went to free agency.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
So now Maurice hates Europeans :laugh: Connor got sent to the Moose, Laine and Ehlers didn't , jesus . Niku is not good enough in his own zone and as a defenseman that's not good. Maurice has too much love for Wheeler and he should be on the second line but that leaves 2 spots open for 3 guys on the first line. One of Connor, Laine and Ehlers will have to play on the second line and Connor had the best year offensively this season out of the 3 but ya Maurice just hates Europeans .:laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I've always sensed an odd vibe from Maurice. It's almost as if he is disassociated from the game and doesn't "get" winning. Somehow he has talked his way into being the (edit-almost) most tenured coach in NHL history. It's bizarre.

5th in games coached. Just 7 behind Al Arbour so he will soon be 4th.
7th in wins. He will soon pass Lindy Ruff and Al Arbour to stand at 5th.
1st in losses. No one is passing him any time soon.
31st in ties but that is misleading since we don't have ties anymore.
9th in OT losses. Will very soon rise to 6th. All those ahead will be active.
6th in pts. That won't likely change soon.
217th in pts% out of 377.

That is a slightly bizarre record.

Reactions: hn777 and surixon

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I know at least two players who matter that don't like him..

Do you know that? Or do you think you know of 2 players who you think don't like him?
Because I could make your statement with a fairly high degree of confidence too. I can think of 2 players who have reason not to like him and who therefore probably do not. Or do you actually know those 2 players and have heard it from them? If so, don't bother naming them. I can guess. :laugh:

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
They need to rethink what they are doing this off season. Should have tried to play the series like the Hawks are just play to your strengths and hope your goalie bails you out.

The Jets didn’t match up physically to the Flames but that seemed to be what Maurice was doing, turning skilled forwards into checkers once again with the usual zero to little success.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
With a new extension so many of you are going to be very disappointed if you think the coaches are changed.
While I agree with needing a change I think it would be in my best interest not to stew about it as I’d be shocked if Maurice doesn’t serve out the complete extension.
GJG

I have adjusted to Maurice being the coach forever. Not liking it, but accepting it. Life is better this way. I'll change that thinking when/if he ever leaves.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
The Jets didn’t match up physically to the Flames but that seemed to be what Maurice was doing, turning skilled forwards into checkers once again with the usual zero to little success.

The way this team is coached reminds me of how Atlanta United was coached. Against their strengths in a more safe defensive style that really didn’t even work as opposed to a more up tempo attack minded team. Difference is Atlanta actually recently got rid of their coach after not even two years. The Jets organization has to be able to make the hard decisions and a full coaching change is likely needed at this point.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We all point the finger at Paul Maurice as we should, but why isn't Mark Chipman being brought up here?

As a manager I understand working relationships are the best going forward, but Maurice's time is clearly up. I mean if they want to keep him within the Jets organization move him to another position like player advisor, though I imagine Seattle snags him when available.

Mark Chipman is too loyal and keeps people he knows for too long almost to the point it doesn't make any sense, Paul Maurice is a giant example here. Craig Heisinger is another guy worth mentioning, the ex-equipment manager, I could mention the Winnipeg Ice but I'd be getting too sidetracked.

I mean no matter what I'll defend Chevy because he has done an excellent job and clearly we're not going to get anybody better. And won't stop saying that.

Although, for all we know they have kept exploring options and maybe some didn't want to be in Winnipeg. But I was hoping Joel Quenneville, who knew Chevy and would have likely coached the Jets till he retired from hockey.

That's very simple. None of us knows how involved he is, or isn't.

The owner announcing the extension is a PR thing. It was probably discussed. As in, 'who should make the announcement? It should come from the very top. That implies unity on the decision'.

At some point an owner has to step in. He says that he has allowed enough rope. The GM must fire the coach. If not, then both go. But we haven't reached that point. Well ..... maybe we have, but he hasn't.

Reactions: Mbraunm

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ehlers would have been the solution to our pp problems, controled entrys and a scoring threat of the wall instead of a cement hand muffin man.

Connor does not need coaching bracause he is signed long term!? Patty excpected to be the go to man these playoffs after his 200ft game this season. Maurice "Familiarity" and Ehlers doghouse treatement will get you 2 euros asking for trades. I'd take Ehlers and Laine over KC and Blake anyday..

That's not proof. That is the same speculation that any of us can do. So we might agree it is likely. Agreement does not = proof.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ehlers is playing his best hockey now - and he made a number of adjustments over the summer - so he was likely coached.
He's making smarter plays in the O zone and makes better decisions when he has the puck - not to mention his d game improvement.

Same goes for Laine - his game has seen huge improvement - you can't base it all on the scoreboard and he's probably still getting used to playing a more rounded game. One thing is for sure, he's a better player for it. Unfortunately, the team as a whole has struggled and that's impacted his production

So both these guys were actually coached - so if they were to leave, I'd assume it was because they don't like to be coached for the betterment of their game. Actually I only see one of these guys as a flight risk and it'll likely be due to the hard work involved in being a better player and moving up in the line up.

But Connor doesn't need coaching - despite the most one dimensional play on the team. Meanwhile Ehlers needs to be continually called out publicly.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
So now Maurice hates Europeans :laugh: Connor got sent to the Moose, Laine and Ehlers didn't , jesus . Niku is not good enough in his own zone and as a defenseman that's not good. Maurice has too much love for Wheeler and he should be on the second line but that leaves 2 spots open for 3 guys on the first line. One of Connor, Laine and Ehlers will have to play on the second line and Connor had the best year offensively this season out of the 3 but ya Maurice just hates Europeans .:laugh:

That one should not be Laine. Wheeler should be on the 2nd.

Between KC and Ehlers, it is a little tricky. I get why you say Connor had the best year offensively. He had both most goals and most points. He also had the most to work with. But if we put KC on the 2nd line he might produce less than Ehlers did there. ELS might be our best top line configuration but that doesn't necessarily make it our best top 6 configuration.

I don't think Maurice hates Euro players. But so far, there appears to be a pattern where they have a harder time pleasing him.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002

Connor got sent down to Moose after 19 games because he wasn't ready, Laine and Ehlers stayed in the NHL because of they were ready. Simple.

First 19 games:

Connor
19gp 1g 3a -8

Ehlers
19 gp 4g 6a +2

Laine
19gp 12g 5a +0

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Connor got sent down to Moose after 19 games because he wasn't ready, Laine and Ehlers stayed in the NHL because of they were ready. Simple.

First 19 games:

Connor
19gp 1g 3a -8

Ehlers
19 gp 4g 6a +2

Laine
19gp 12g 5a +0

Yes and no. Ehlers stayed in the NHL despite not being ready, because he was not eligible for the Moose. He would have had to be sent back to Halifax. That would not have been as good for his development as staying with the Jets.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
Yes and no. Ehlers stayed in the NHL despite not being ready, because he was not eligible for the Moose. He would have had to be sent back to Halifax. That would not have been as good for his development as staying with the Jets.

Yup, over simplified (and the fact that I forgot Ehlers came from NA junior :laugh:). Still Ehlers was better than Connor. Connor was so lost in his debut season that I lost confidence in him becoming a top6 player at NHL level.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yup, over simplified (and the fact that I forgot Ehlers came from NA junior :laugh:). Still Ehlers was better than Connor. Connor was so lost in his debut season that I lost confidence in him becoming a top6 player at NHL level.

I agree. It was nothing short of amazing though, how quickly Connor turned it around. Just confirmed that what he needed was a kick in the pants. May have been the best coaching Maurice has ever done.

Last edited:

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
I know losing Scheifele and Laine quite literally pulverizes your chances at moving on, but when you stack your top 6 for the majority of your time here because you opt to have your 3rd as a matchup line (because of the 1st line's continued failures at defending in their own zone) and your 4th as an "energy" line (though it's been a bit better in recent history), it's not that surprising when all the sudden you can barely score when your 3rd and 4th line players are now suddenly being asked to do things they've never done before. That kind of deployment strategy is always bound to blow up in your face, especially in today's NHL, where it's not enough to have your superstars outplay their superstars.

ryerockarola

Nov 20, 2011
That's very simple. None of us knows how involved he is, or isn't.

The owner announcing the extension is a PR thing. It was probably discussed. As in, 'who should make the announcement? It should come from the very top. That implies unity on the decision'.

At some point an owner has to step in. He says that he has allowed enough rope. The GM must fire the coach. If not, then both go. But we haven't reached that point. Well ..... maybe we have, but he hasn't.
I'm pretty sure he keeps a close ear on things. Whether he has a say in things is unknown.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
But Connor doesn't need coaching - despite the most one dimensional play on the team. Meanwhile Ehlers needs to be continually called out publicly.

My post was in response to two players who may be thinking about leaving (according to the post I replied to) - they were coached for the better of both.
We can also talk about Connor is you want but it really has nothing to do with the other two leaving the org due to getting better at their game.
Does Connor need a little more coaching attention? Sure - I'm all for it - hopefully he doesn't want to leave after receiving it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad