Coach Discussion: Coaching Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Maurice signed a multi-year extension in February. He might have still had another year left on his previous contract. He won't be going anywhere for another 1.5 years at least.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Maurice signed a multi-year extension in February. He might have still had another year left on his previous contract. He won't be going anywhere for another 1.5 years at least.

This would have been his last season had he not signed the extension in February. That extension was confirmed by Maurice himself (I think) to be 3 years.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
This would have been his last season had he not signed the extension in February. That extension was confirmed by Maurice himself (I think) to be 3 years.

His first long-term contract was signed after his first half season with the team and it was 4 years in length. That was back in 2014. After 3 seasons he signed a multi-year extension in 2017 and at the time, True North did not release any details regarding the length of the deal...much to the annoyance of a few posters here lol.

Anyways, there would have been a year left on his previous deal which would have expired at the end of the 2018 season. If that 2017 extension was for 3 years, then Maurice would have been secured until the end of the 2020-2021 season. I have to think he signed a minimum 2- year extension, possibly 3 years. Hence my belief he will not be fired for at least 1.5 years so the organization will not have to pay out (a little more) than a year. If it was a three year extension (meaning he actually has 4 years under contract with the Jets) then I suspect he will be given a long leash...2.5 years.

Players like him...at least the ones that seem to matter like him, and that will play a significant role in the duration of his stay in Winnipeg...even with the very really possibility that the Jets underachieve in the coming seasons.

None

Feb 22, 2012
His first long-term contract was signed after his first half season with the team and it was 4 years in length. That was back in 2014. After 3 seasons he signed a multi-year extension in 2017 and at the time, True North did not release any details regarding the length of the deal...much to the annoyance of a few posters here lol.

Anyways, there would have been a year left on his previous deal which would have expired at the end of the 2018 season. If that 2017 extension was for 3 years, then Maurice would have been secured until the end of the 2020-2021 season. I have to think he signed a minimum 2- year extension, possibly 3 years. Hence my belief he will not be fired for at least 1.5 years so the organization will not have to pay out (a little more) than a year. If it was a three year extension (meaning he actually has 4 years under contract with the Jets) then I suspect he will be given a long leash...2.5 years.

He signed a 1 year contract initially that expired at the end of the 14-15 season. He signed a 3 year extension to that contract, the 4 year contract mentioned includes the season where he took over in January.
First contract
14-15 - Year 1 - Began in January 2015
15-16 - Year 2
16-17 - Year 3
17-18 - Year 4 - Extended for 2 seasons on September 7, 2017 just before the season started

Second contract
18-19 - Year 1
19-20 - Year 2 and current, it would have expired after this season if he hadn't signed the 3 year extension on February 12, 2020.

His 3rd contract will expire after the 22-23 season, the lengths have all been confirmed at some point during his tenure.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
I agree, to a point. You don't gut the team and management after a season like this, which has been absolutely an aberration, with several high-impact events -- loss of Buff, Little injury -- that were beyond the reach of most team orgs. So any comprehensive evaluation can allow for these as the one-offs they were and not look to lay blame.

But player evaluation and deployment, systems design and implementation, a PP that has been wretched for a long time now, concerning underlying stats in a number of areas, insistence on a top/bottom 6 at a time when many teams have emphasized a more flexible attack -- why can't these get a closer look? It isn't like these are directly attributable to the loss of Buff and Little, and Chevy knew the D would be weakened by the loss of Trouba, Myers and yes, even Chairot before Buff pulled his no-show, just as he knew that the PK and "energy line" setups would be the worse for the loss of Tanev. Why wasn't he on the horn 24/7 to shore up those weak spots?

Many hockey pundits and analysts, including several on HFJ, have been sounding the alartm since the start of the 2018/2019 regular season. The alarms got still louder in 2019. What was the result? Chevy bought in AHL tweeners and plugs, played them over some promising in-house talent (Niku -- who knows what we have in him?) then added an actual reinforcement in DD, which was a great move, especially if we can keep him at a reasonable cost. The Copp re-upping was acrimonious and maybe risks losing an important player, JoMo and KC signings were decent value, so well done there.

So I get the caution, and the forest-for-the-trees issue. But if not now, when? Scheifele isn't going to be in his prime and on a sweet deal for much longer, we still don't have a true 2C, have holes at D, bleed chances on the counter, a dysfunctional PP and some still underperforming players, including a once-generational scorer who is now a not-quite power forward, and in Roslo an exciting talent no one seems to know how to use. We are two years removed from being a top team in the league without an obvious path back to the top.

This isn't about blame for me. This year has been hellish, the late surge in March was encouraging, and I'm happy for it to end with a great draft pick we don't screw up. But a GM is paid a ton to see two, 3, 5 steps ahead -- that's their job, just as a coach is paid a ton to get the absolute best out of whichever players are available and healthy. If you run the bench, you take responsibility for the bench. I am concerned, however, by the seeming contradiction in our team makeup (speed, skill. creativity) and how we've played much of the past two years (chaotic, running around in all zones, emphasis on a "heavy game," etc). I feel like Chevy and PM need to spend a few weeks getting on the same page, with burner phones so Chipman can't call them. And then we need to stop playing 2014/15 hockey with 2020 talent in a 2020 league.
The last two sentences are bang on. No one can say for sure how much Chipman is involved in the hockey ops but one gets the sense it's more than it should be. Bill Waters who's got pretty good sources has said it on a 1290 interview a few years ago. That Chipman was the one that announed the contract extension says a lot. While they don't have to be completely an analytics driven team they have to make better use of them than they do. If they stumble out of the gate again next season you seriously need to look at replacing Maurice and Huddy with someone that has a better handle on how the game is played in 2020.

Reactions: rkp

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
This gives me some hope! I'm sure there is a large number in this group that don't like either. I think it was also telling that is was the owner and not the GM that announced the extension.

there just seems to be a good number of players who do not agree with pomo's style of coaching and strategy. usually it is just one player that doesn't seem to get with the coaches plan on any given team...but here, like i said, its seems like good number don't buy in.

Reactions: hn777 and surixon

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
We all point the finger at Paul Maurice as we should, but why isn't Mark Chipman being brought up here?

As a manager I understand working relationships are the best going forward, but Maurice's time is clearly up. I mean if they want to keep him within the Jets organization move him to another position like player advisor, though I imagine Seattle snags him when available.

Mark Chipman is too loyal and keeps people he knows for too long almost to the point it doesn't make any sense, Paul Maurice is a giant example here. Craig Heisinger is another guy worth mentioning, the ex-equipment manager, I could mention the Winnipeg Ice but I'd be getting too sidetracked.

I mean no matter what I'll defend Chevy because he has done an excellent job and clearly we're not going to get anybody better. And won't stop saying that.

Although, for all we know they have kept exploring options and maybe some didn't want to be in Winnipeg. But I was hoping Joel Quenneville, who knew Chevy and would have likely coached the Jets till he retired from hockey.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Maurice is currently at 1600 games coached. 1600 games without a Stanley Cup.

The next closest coaches to him without a Cup are:

Alain Vigneault - 1285
Dave Tippett - 1185
Bruce Boudreau - 984

And given the extension. Maurice will be ~1750s when he's done.

Reactions: hn777 and rkp

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
I mean no matter what I'll defend Chevy because he has done an excellent job and clearly we're not going to get anybody better. And won't stop saying that.

What a load. He should be fired for extending both Little & Wheeler alone. That decision tied up all of our flexibility, shortened our window of contention. That cap needed to go towards addressing holes at C & the blueline.

Last edited:

ocdaddy

Nov 3, 2013
Winnipeg
What a load. He should be fired for extending both Little & Wheeler alone. That decision tied up all of our flexibility, shortened our window of contention. That cap needed to go towards addressing holes at C & the blueline.
Most UFA's refuse to come here. It's the least desirable destination as polled by players.

Little was a 20g/60 pt for 7ish seasons consistently when Chevy inked his deal.

Wheeler a prairie boy from nearby.

Chevy's challenge to sign guy's isn't something 1290 gets to play up but it's the sad reality and unfortunately quite crippling for the team.

Reactions: Mud Turtle

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Don't forget extending Thorburn, Stuart and Pavelec. Trading up AND drafting Logan Stanley. Nearly every second round pick his scouts have made. Signs Mason for two years, proceeds to trade him a year later and has 'give' Montreal Armia, a fourth and a seventh for a Simom Bourque!?!
The worst part about the Little extension was he did it a year before he needed to and probably overpaid in term and AAV.

jetswin

Jul 24, 2011
This coaching staff still being around has to be over Chevy’s head. You don’t draft all the high end skill just to keep Mo around as coach THIS long.
Clearly a Chipman decision, GM wasn’t even trusted to make the coach extension announcement....True Norths fatal flaw is loyalty to friends over business decisions.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Where is confirmation that 2 players don’t like Maurice?
It would be nice to see some proof?

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
I find it supremely non-coincidental that the only two forwards that seem to be “held accountable” by Maurice are also our only two European forwards. Connor doesn’t play a prototypical Maurice-style game but Maurice loves the guy.

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
Where is confirmation that 2 players don’t like Maurice?
It would be nice to see some proof?

Ehlers would have been the solution to our pp problems, controled entrys and a scoring threat of the wall instead of a cement hand muffin man.

Connor does not need coaching bracause he is signed long term!? Patty excpected to be the go to man these playoffs after his 200ft game this season. Maurice "Familiarity" and Ehlers doghouse treatement will get you 2 euros asking for trades. I'd take Ehlers and Laine over KC and Blake anyday..

Last edited:

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Ehlers would have been the solution to our pp problems, controled entrys and a scoring threat of the wall instead of a cement hand muffin man.

Connor does not need coaching bracause he is signed long term!? Patty excpected to be the go to man these playoffs after his 200ft game this season. Maurice "Familiarity" and Ehlers doghouse treatement will get you 2 euros asking for trades. I'd take Ehlers and Laine over KC and Blake anyday..
Can’t say I disagree at all , was wondering if something was released to the press.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

Ehlers is playing his best hockey now - and he made a number of adjustments over the summer - so he was likely coached.
He's making smarter plays in the O zone and makes better decisions when he has the puck - not to mention his d game improvement.

Same goes for Laine - his game has seen huge improvement - you can't base it all on the scoreboard and he's probably still getting used to playing a more rounded game. One thing is for sure, he's a better player for it. Unfortunately, the team as a whole has struggled and that's impacted his production

So both these guys were actually coached - so if they were to leave, I'd assume it was because they don't like to be coached for the betterment of their game. Actually I only see one of these guys as a flight risk and it'll likely be due to the hard work involved in being a better player and moving up in the line up.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
With a new extension so many of you are going to be very disappointed if you think the coaches are changed.
While I agree with needing a change I think it would be in my best interest not to stew about it as I’d be shocked if Maurice doesn’t serve out the complete extension.
GJG

It's amazing that our organization would keep him even if we missed the playoffs next year with no injuries but I am confident it would happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad