Coach Discussion: Coaching Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm pretty sure he keeps a close ear on things. Whether he has a say in things is unknown.

Yes, I'm sure he is not like a silent partner, or hands off owner. He is pretty active at the league level. But my impression is that he trusts Chevy and lets him run things his own way.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
My post was in response to two players who may be thinking about leaving (according to the post I replied to) - they were coached for the better of both.
We can also talk about Connor is you want but it really has nothing to do with the other two leaving the org due to getting better at their game.
Does Connor need a little more coaching attention? Sure - I'm all for it - hopefully he doesn't want to leave after receiving it.

Fair enough.

Those 2 players have improved under Maurice's coaching - so they should be happy.
OTOH, have they been suitably recognized and rewarded for that improvement? Does Maurice publicly criticize any player other than Ehlers?

Reactions: Eyeseeing

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Fair enough.

Those 2 players have improved under Maurice's coaching - so they should be happy.
OTOH, have they been suitably recognized and rewarded for that improvement? Does Maurice publicly criticize any player other than Ehlers?

He was pretty hard on Ehlers (at times) over the years - I haven't heard much on the negative side recently but I may have missed it.
I'd also be surprised if either of these guys have a problem with their growth and how it has helped their game - which was the point of my original note.
There must also be an unwritten rule in place - all who play on the first line get a pass :sarcasm:

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
I never said Maurice hates, all Europeans I just said Laine and Ehlers must be fed up with him.

Laines pre camp interviews stated he thought he improved his overall game this season and thought that would give him more ictime and top line minutes during these playoffs.

After camp opened and "familiarity" set in Patrik looked pretty bummed and dissapointed in the following interviews same dissapointed bodylanguage we have seen before.

Could also be both of them are feed up with Maurice being outcoached in the playoffs and him being unable to adapt and make the changes for thsis team needs to be able to win.

But of course I could be wrong and Patrik and Nicky will continue enjoying Maurice coaching for many years to come.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
I know losing Scheifele and Laine quite literally pulverizes your chances at moving on, but when you stack your top 6 for the majority of your time here because you opt to have your 3rd as a matchup line (because of the 1st line's continued failures at defending in their own zone) and your 4th as an "energy" line (though it's been a bit better in recent history), it's not that surprising when all the sudden you can barely score when your 3rd and 4th line players are now suddenly being asked to do things they've never done before. That kind of deployment strategy is always bound to blow up in your face, especially in today's NHL, where it's not enough to have your superstars outplay their superstars.

I'm not sure I buy this particular critique of Maurice. The 3rd line played very well, and both Copp and Lowry scored. That line has synergy, and an "identity" (and I'm cool with line-based identities rather than an overall-team one). I'm not sure juggling that around during the season to account for a potential injury to your 1C in the playoffs makes sense, as opposed to allowing them to hone their unique craft as a line together. Although Copp has played up the line-up a number of times during injuries.

Last edited:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
This coach keeps his job every year and just keeps rolling on

Paul Maurice ( 7 years ) Winnipeg

516(games) - 272(w) - 190(l) - 54(ol) regular season ( 0.527 )
31(games) - 12(w) - 19(l) playoffs

This coach just got fired

Todd Reirden (2 years ) Washington

151(games) - 89(w) - 46(l) - 16(ol) regular season ( 0.642 )
15(games) - 5(w) - 10(l) playoffs

Reirden gets fired because his team didn't win in the playoffs... Maurice keeps his job when he can't get his team into the playoffs. :help:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Reirden gets fired because his team didn't win in the playoffs... Maurice keeps his job when he can't get his team into the playoffs. :help:
Just throwing it out there but maybe Chevy cut Maurice a little slack because of all the injuries and no Buff all season . Plus Washington is a better team with big expectations , not that our expectations shouldn't be high but i don't think anyone would disagree that Washington is a better team. Having said all that the Jets have to have a good year next year or Maurice and maybe even Chevy should be let go.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Just throwing it out there but maybe Chevy cut Maurice a little slack because of all the injuries and no Buff all season . Plus Washington is a better team with big expectations , not that our expectations shouldn't be high but i don't think anyone would disagree that Washington is a better team. Having said all that the Jets have to have a good year next year or Maurice and maybe even Chevy should be let go.
If Little ltirs then there may be another grace year for them. If Chevy plugs that hole before the season starts then we'll have a better idea of the expectations

Reactions: Jets 31

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

Meanwhile, back at True North...

CraftyClumsyBalloonfish-size_restricted.gif

You know, there might be a direct correlation between having big expectations and having a good team. As someone else put it, when failure is an option...

I've got to say, I won't be overly saddened to see Vegas win the Cup this year in their 3rd year of existence. It might finally drive home the point to Chipman et al that there are other ways to build a winner than this lethargic, fan alienating, steady as she goes and let luck be a lady this year approach which thus far has yielded fairly sustainable mediocrity.

Still, maybe this team personifies River City. A place built around slow-moving, meandering water courses that have carved out their channels by always following the path of least resistance.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida

I don't see evidence that winning matters much with the Winnipeg Jets at TNSE. At least from an accountability perspective, there just isn't much of it at all for key people. Do they want to win, of course. Do they hold key people accountable when they don't after years of mediocrity, nope. Just let them try and try again, off to another rebuild, like it's 2011 all over again.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I don't see evidence that winning matters much with the Winnipeg Jets at TNSE. At least from an accountability perspective, there just isn't much of it at all for key people. Do they want to win, of course. Do they hold key people accountable when they don't after years of mediocrity, nope. Just let them try and try again, off to another rebuild, like it's 2011 all over again.

I just feel that other than 2018, this team is in perpetual evaluation mode. For the team as a whole and for individual players. Evaluate what we got , tweak a little bit, evaluate what we got, tweak a little bit, and repeat. First problem is each little tweak gets an entire season or two to get evaluated... Second problem is you can't take 10+ years to build a winning team because the players you were counting on ( due to contracts, just not fitting in to the plan, etc . ) don't last as long as the plan.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I just feel that other than 2018, this team is in perpetual evaluation mode. For the team as a whole and for individual players. Evaluate what we got , tweak a little bit, evaluate what we got, tweak a little bit, and repeat. First problem is each little tweak gets an entire season or two to get evaluated... Second problem is you can't take 10+ years to build a winning team because the players you were counting on ( due to contracts, just not fitting in to the plan, etc . ) don't last as long as the plan.

Set backs also play a role -
We lost our #2C our #1D - both unplanned. That has to be factored into our best laid plans.
I won't get into the injuries because everyone deals with them (although we had more than our share).

We do appear to be perpetually adapting, tweaking, shuffling - it would have been interesting to see how things shaped up with Buff anchoring our D and Little playing consistent minutes in the #2C slot. This would have allowed us to leave the third shut down line alone (as they are effective) and leave most of the tweaking to the 4th (where it usually exists naturally). This would have allowed us to look at least similar to how we played in prior years and it would have been much less disruptive as we try to settle in.

Last edited:

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I understand cutting Paul some slack after this season and all the unexpected things that has happened. Makes complete sense. It just seems like there has been a built in excuse every season. First it was not having enough offense against the ducks. Then it was the curse of Pavs, Stuart etc. Then we had too many man hours lost. Then we ran into a hot goalie. Then we had injuries and played the eventual winners. Then came buff leaving and Little going down. There is always something to blame for the season being cut short. If we wait for the "perfect" season to evaluate Paul we be waiting until he decides to retire as the Jets head coach...

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I understand cutting Paul some slack after this season and all the unexpected things that has happened. Makes complete sense. It just seems like there has been a built in excuse every season. First it was not having enough offense against the ducks. Then it was the curse of Pavs, Stuart etc. Then we had too many man hours lost. Then we ran into a hot goalie. Then we had injuries and played the eventual winners. Then came buff leaving and Little going down. There is always something to blame for the season being cut short. If we wait for the "perfect" season to evaluate Paul we be waiting until he decides to retire as the Jets head coach...

There is no such thing as a perfect season in sports. Imo he should have been cut loose after the 18-19 season when the room completely imploded down the stretch. I cant think of very many other orgs that wouldn't have canned him after what transpired that year.

Absolutely mind boggling that he was rewarded with an extension this past year. Anyhow this past year was a write off and he will gwt another chance next season. I hope he he has another summer like 2017 where he came up with a plan that actually worked for this team.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

Everything you point out is true -
Some will call them excuses - some will call them legitimate reasons for faltering.
I don't think anyone is waiting to evaluate Paul - he's being measured like every other coach.
Some like what he is doing (namely the org) and some don't (namely some fans).

Reactions: DashingDane

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Everything you point out is true -
Some will call them excuses - some will call them legitimate reasons for faltering.
I don't think anyone is waiting to evaluate Paul - he's being measured like every other coach.
Some like what he is doing (namely the org) and some don't (namely some fans).

I just see how our org really doesn’t hold our coaching to the same standards as what successful franchises do.

I’m not entirely sure Maurice warranted an extension, let alone a 3 year deal. I personally thought he needed to be relieved after the 2018/2019 season given he had a superbly strong roster that he got absolutely nowhere with and underperformed.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I just see how our org really doesn’t hold our coaching to the same standards as what successful franchises do.

I’m not entirely sure Maurice warranted an extension, let alone a 3 year deal. I personally thought he needed to be relieved after the 2018/2019 season given he had a superbly strong roster that he got absolutely nowhere with and underperformed.

Yup - something happened in the room that year. Usually the coach takes the fall when that happens.
Maybe the org knows more about what happened than we do

Reactions: surixon and Jets 31

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
But results are results, no? A prime year absolutely blown. He should have been fired. Or at least maybe assistants?

You're assuming it was an issue with coaching -
Or do you think the coach should be fired when the team falters - period?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yup - something happened in the room that year. Usually the coach takes the fall when that happens.
Maybe the org knows more about what happened than we do
I'm going to take a wild guess that the organization knows more about what happened than a bunch of fans.

By the way, lots of strong blowback from Scheifele and Morrissey and Lowry and others disputing the reporting about rifts. We had ridiculous speculation on this board. I guess it creates interest from r some fans, and clicks for reporters.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm going to take a wild guess that the organization knows more about what happened than a bunch of fans.

By the way, lots of strong blowback from Scheifele and Morrissey and Lowry and others disputing the reporting about rifts. We had ridiculous speculation on this board. I guess it creates interest from r some fans, and clicks for reporters.

Do you really expect the players to come out and say they had issues in the room to the media?

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I'll predict that if we're able to sign DeMelo but don't get past the first round next year then Maurice will be let go.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I'll predict that if we're able to sign DeMelo but don't get past the first round next year then Maurice will be let go.
I honestly think if we play like crap in the first 20 games Maurice will be fired, i think this is the year we have to do something for Maurice to keep his job.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Fair enough.

Most of Paul’s interviews are excellent and I am going to miss it one day when he eventually retires or is promoted. However, his condescending and patronizing comments towards young players as a category while giving over the hill vets a pass on their shitty play can stop any time. I honestly think he does it to make excuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad