Coach Boughner

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
It’s awesome and I love it. This is why fans are clueless. All the factors cited are valid reasons. They aren’t excuses. They are valid reasons that have a massive impact on the team. Fans will never understand cause they are too emotionally invested. Too much going on to determine win loss record.

You're right that fans are overly emotional and reactive. But I also think in this case the team has not performed up to expectations. All the factors cited are partially the reason for poor performance so far, but can't be there only explanation for the significant underperformance so far.

I think most fans here were still on board when we were competitive even when losing. But we're getting blown out and giving up leads.

I agree most of this is on the goalies, but then we should do something. Reimer and Lu is a really risky solution for the rest of the season. I'm still baffled they don't call up Monty. If he does poorly then send him back. If we're worried that it would hurt his mental state by getting shelled a few games, he's not our goalie of the future anyways. He's earned his shot.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
You're right that fans are overly emotional and reactive. But I also think in this case the team has not performed up to expectations. All the factors cited are partially the reason for poor performance so far, but can't be there only explanation for the significant underperformance so far.

I think most fans here were still on board when we were competitive even when losing. But we're getting blown out and giving up leads.

I agree most of this is on the goalies, but then we should do something. Reimer and Lu is a really risky solution for the rest of the season. I'm still baffled they don't call up Monty. If he does poorly then send him back. If we're worried that it would hurt his mental state by getting shelled a few games, he's not our goalie of the future anyways. He's earned his shot.
It’s not as simple to just do something about the goaltending as people think. No one here knows what he’s trying to do or what’s available. I do know one thing. Teams aren’t lining up to get rid of their good goalies

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
When a Coach saying, Dale did a good Job and i have a real Problem with my Goalie Situation. I know this Interview or comment was 0815 Interview.
When we have no pressure to get into the PO, i know already that Franchise is rotten dead from inside.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Of course there’s pressure from the inside. This is pro sports lol. Jesus u guys don’t have a clue about media or How little, what is said, means in reality

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Of course there’s pressure from the inside. This is pro sports lol. Jesus u guys don’t have a clue about media or How little, what is said, means in reality

Right, you're the know it all expert based on your extensive resume in pro sports. Give me a break. You hear coaches and managers frustrated and emotional all the time.

And if the canned response from boogie and tallon is to say "hey don't worry, no pressure" to a fan base that has stuck with this team for 25 years....ugh. All I'm saying is, how about something along the lines of "yeah we're disappointed. This is unacceptable. We'll do better."

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Right, you're the know it all expert based on your extensive resume in pro sports. Give me a break. You hear coaches and managers frustrated and emotional all the time.

And if the canned response from boogie and tallon is to say "hey don't worry, no pressure" to a fan base that has stuck with this team for 25 years....ugh. All I'm saying is, how about something along the lines of "yeah we're disappointed. This is unacceptable. We'll do better."
Because nothing they say will affect anything on the ice so it’s all basically irrelevant. Not sure why fans continue to read into this crap. It’s been proven irrelevant time and time again

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
What we need to do is clap more. If we all clap our hands together fast and loud enough we can bring Reimer back from the dead. My niece says that it works for fairies so I figured why not Reiner?
My boss is a firm believer in the blood sacrifice. "The little pagan gods demand it," he says :naughty::blackcat:

...though supposedly it has to be accidentally shed so killing cute little animals or stabbing annoying people with a fork won't work.

Reactions: Rahooji

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Because nothing they say will affect anything on the ice so it’s all basically irrelevant. Not sure why fans continue to read into this crap. It’s been proven irrelevant time and time again
Buuuuuuuuuuuuut Twitter and Facebook...

I have a sneaking suspicion that the only difference may be whether or not you personally agree with the "report".

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
Was it a few years ago when everyone picked columbus to be a playoff team and they started off terrible and never recovered? Now look at them..

Colorado was able to get makar in 2017 after dropping like a rock only to now look like a playoff contender....

In the spirit of a glass half full....

Maybe this is the year where we fall off only to sky rocket the next year!!!! Maybe this is our transitional year....

Sorry... even for me this is bs and hard to try and suggest....

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Was it a few years ago when everyone picked columbus to be a playoff team and they started off terrible and never recovered? Now look at them..

Colorado was able to get makar in 2017 after dropping like a rock only to now look like a playoff contender....

In the spirit of a glass half full....

Maybe this is the year where we fall off only to sky rocket the next year!!!! Maybe this is our transitional year....

Sorry... even for me this is bs and hard to try and suggest....
This type of first to last can happen when a good goalie gets injured or has an off year. Not when it happens because an average goalie fall off a cliff or a goalie is caught up by age.
I like your optimisn though.

MPGA

Make the Panthers Great Again
Nov 25, 2013
We need to can Boughner asap. He was a scrub in the NHL, what could he possibly teach these losers about winning? We need a real hockey guy and proven winner behind the bench.

What if I told you there was a Hall of Fame player with his name all over the Cup already working for the organization? He is exactly what we need right now. Not only is he knowledgeable and experienced, but also articulate enough to craft a winning message to the locker room. He knows how to win, and he will show them the way!!!!

#CoachPotvin

Reactions: 16Skippy

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
We are scoring because Boughner wants to play run and gun, exchange chances -style hockey. The offense is a direct result of that IMO.

I see this being a fundamental flaw, not a positive thing for this group of guys. Maybe the system would work if our defensemen had 2-3 years of more experience and wouldn't be so vulnerable to mistakes. I'm afraid the learning curve is going to be too long and steep for these guys for Boughner to see the end result work.
Ironic, since he was a defenseman who contributed little to offense (15 goals in 630 games) during his career. Also ironically, he began his NHL career (in Buffalo) the same year I became a Panthers fan :laugh:

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
Yeah, average goaltending would give us 9 less goals against statistically speaking). We'd have a positive goal ratio. So definitely more than a game or two.

ok, so maybe great goaltending nets 3-4.

just my opinion obviously but i don't think you can say average goaltending would guarantee us anything given the number and severity of giveaways, especially when we hit those patches of black ice and things get squirrelly.

Games where Florida lost points due to bad goaltending:

Oct 11 vs CBJ (1-2 points)
Oct 20 vs Detroit (1 point)
Oct 23 vs NYR (1-2 points)
Nov 17 vs NYR (1-2 points)
Nov 24 vs CHI (1 point)

I didn't include the Philly game because Hutch was hung out to dry, and the Carolina game was bad but they were outplayed.

I also didn't include games like the Canucks or Jets game where the goaltending was just ok but where good goaltending probably gets them points. The above list is just when they've been pure trash.

ok, but completely subjective. one person's greasy goal is another's coverage lapse or giveway.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013

just my opinion obviously but i don't think you can say average goaltending would guarantee us anything given the number and severity of giveaways, especially when we hit those patches of black ice and things get squirrelly.

You said in your other post that the Ducks are mediocre. Well, Gibson is a great goalie and he has saved 16 goals above average. So let's say we have great goaltending, it isn,t 3 or 4 less goals against, that's 25 less.

Where do you think we are in the standings averaging more than 1 goal against less per game?

Do you think the Ducks defense were stellar defensively? Heck, they were utterly dominated for two periods, Bjugstad and Brouwer ran all over them. They were turning the puck over like it's a pancake factory or something.

But still, great goaltending will stop the chances and win you games.

Go watch the game again and tell me that the Ducks defense had less turnover and gave less scoring chances.

Reactions: ucanthanzalthetruth

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013

ok, but completely subjective. one person's greasy goal is another's coverage lapse or giveway.
I legitimately don't understand, if you look at regular statistics, Reimer sucks. If you look at advanced stats, Reimer is the worst goalie in the NHL minimum 300 minutes played. If you use the eye test he's terrible. What's subjective?

My mind is actually blown that there are people who think goaltending hasn't cost the Panthers a minimum of 8 points this year.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
I legitimately don't understand, if you look at regular statistics, Reimer sucks. If you look at advanced stats, Reimer is the worst goalie in the NHL minimum 300 minutes played. If you use the eye test he's terrible. What's subjective?

My mind is actually blown that there are people who think goaltending hasn't cost the Panthers a minimum of 8 points this year.
Correct. It’s completely mind numbing. They think our d is the only ones that have giveaways or blow a coverage. It’s a f***ing joke. If our goalies did what league average goalies were doing and we were still losing then maybe they would have a point. It’s like they aren’t watching the games. They can only see our d men’s errors cause they r in the back of our net. They completely oblivious to the fact that the dmen on the other team are doing the same shit but their goalies make a big save. It’s painful repeating this

Reactions: RainingRats

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Correct. It’s completely mind numbing. They think our d is the only ones that have giveaways or blow a coverage. It’s a ****ing joke. If our goalies did what league average goalies were doing and we were still losing then maybe they would have a point. It’s like they aren’t watching the games. They can only see our d men’s errors cause they r in the back of our net. They completely oblivious to the fact that the dmen on the other team are doing the same **** but their goalies make a big save. It’s painful repeating this
Actually, that’s an incorrect summary. What’s mind blowing are the following two points:
1) that you keep lying and hyperventilating about what people are saying, and
2) that you think switching Reimer with someone like Bobrovsky would get us into playoffs for sure

Why is it so difficult for you to address the truth about what people who don’t agree with you are saying? Why do you have to make stuff up?

Reactions: Kid Icarus

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Actually, that’s an incorrect summary. What’s mind blowing are the following two points:
2) that you think switching Reimer with someone like Bobrovsky would get us into playoffs for sure

Why is it so difficult for you to address the truth about what people who don’t agree with you are saying? Why do you have to make stuff up?
No. You’re wrong again about this.

There is data showing we have a goalie who is giving up an above average amount of goals when compared to other goalies.

If you want to estimate how many fewer goals an average goalie would have given up instead of Reimer you can see that would absolutely be a few more points in the standings and a good to great goalie would be a lot more points in the standings.

This is a very simple exercise you seem to refuse to accept as you continue to stubbornly dig your heels in.

Correct. It’s completely mind numbing. They think our d is the only ones that have giveaways or blow a coverage. It’s a ****ing joke. If our goalies did what league average goalies were doing and we were still losing then maybe they would have a point. It’s like they aren’t watching the games. They can only see our d men’s errors cause they r in the back of our net. They completely oblivious to the fact that the dmen on the other team are doing the same **** but their goalies make a big save. It’s painful repeating this
It’s condescending to say but I genuinely wonder if people here watch other team’s play.

Yup.

I think they have this bizarre notion that
1) d men shouldn’t be making mistakes
2) can’t rely on a goalie to make big saves because see 1)

Ironic, since he was a defenseman who contributed little to offense (15 goals in 630 games) during his career. Also ironically, he began his NHL career (in Buffalo) the same year I became a Panthers fan :laugh:
Our scoring is up because our PP is good. Run and gun is a misnomer by people who don’t understand that the NHL has shifted to a speed game that is more skilled, boughner likes to stretch the play, playing Boughner’s system when played properly is defensively sound

Last edited by a moderator:

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
You said in your other post that the Ducks are mediocre. Well, Gibson is a great goalie and he has saved 16 goals above average. So let's say we have great goaltending, it isn,t 3 or 4 less goals against, that's 25 less.

Where do you think we are in the standings averaging more than 1 goal against less per game?

Do you think the Ducks defense were stellar defensively? Heck, they were utterly dominated for two periods, Bjugstad and Brouwer ran all over them. They were turning the puck over like it's a pancake factory or something.

But still, great goaltending will stop the chances and win you games.

Go watch the game again and tell me that the Ducks defense had less turnover and gave less scoring chances.

surprisingly, we won the giveaway battle wednesday.

gibson is really good and the ducks are still shit.

i don't think that folks like me and KW are saying goaltending wouldn't help us. maybe with gibson we would be a few games better. still nowhere near good enough.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
No. You’re wrong again about this.

There is data showing we have a goalie who is giving up an above average amount of goals when compared to other goalies.

If you want to estimate how many fewer goals an average goalie would have given up instead of Reimer you can see that would absolutely be a few more points in the standings and a good to great goalie would be a lot more points in the standings.

This is a very simple exercise you seem to refuse to accept as you continue to stubbornly dig your heels in.

It’s condescending to say but I genuinely wonder if people here watch other team’s play.

Yup.

I think they have this bizarre notion that
1) d men shouldn’t be making mistakes
2) can’t rely on a goalie to make big saves because see 1)

Our scoring is up because our PP is good. Run and gun is a misnomer by people who don’t understand that the NHL has shifted to a speed game that is more skilled, boughner likes to stretch the play, playing Boughner’s system when played properly is defensively sound
"goalie who is giving up an above average amount of goals when compared to other goalies."

For me that doesn't sound very complimentary to the rest of the team.

Not many teams give up A+ scoring chances from prime position in a tie game when there's less than two minutes remaining like they did against Anaheim.

Contender teams regularly make playoffs without great goaltending. So Panthers are a team that has to rely on .920 goaltending every year to even make the playoffs?

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
"goalie who is giving up an above average amount of goals when compared to other goalies."

For me that doesn't sound very complimentary to the rest of the team.

Not many teams give up A+ scoring chances from prime position in a tie game when there's less than two minutes remaining like they did against Anaheim.

Contender teams regularly make playoffs without great goaltending. So Panthers are a team that has to rely on .920 goaltending every year to even make the playoffs?
I can assure u no tea that goes to playoffs has a sub .900 sv %. And your actually wrong lots of teams give up prime scoring chances at all times in the Game. The good teams get a save and find a way to win. Oilers have won their last two games scoring 3 regulation goals. It was 0-0 vs Dallas and Ben was left alone in front with 2 seconds left. Koskinen robbed him and they won in ot. Last night tie game oilers go up 3-2 then immediately give up a breakaway and kiskinen saves it for the win. He also made a breakaway save earlier in the gane. Those are 3 saves in two games bigger than any saves Reimer has made all year that directly lead to 4 points. That’s on a team much worse than ours. On chances much worse than anything recently. Has Reimer even made a breakaway save yet?

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton

1. What am I lying about? Every goal against posters point to a dman that made a mistake. Ex. Matheson didn’t clear the puck 20 seconds before the second goal even tho the team
Didn’t allow any shot from a dangerous spot. Puck still in our net.
2. I’ve never said anything is for sure. Hockey is too fluid to make absolutes like that going forward. But as of now goaltending is 100 percent the reason we aren’t further up the standings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad