Coach Boughner

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
I was on the Andy train. He wasn’t all over the crease like Vokoun was. I thought he was much better positionally. Safer if you will. Vokoun was the crazy save reflexes guy.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
you're allowed to comment on people's opinions... are you going to watch the game tonight or just read the stat line and tell us how we're wrong?
Well, he’s correct in that you seem to have no tolerance for difference of opinion.

So you join with vendetta and mischaracterize what other posters who disagree with you are saying, just so you can declare you’re right and you have the right solutions.

The game of hockey is fluid and fickle enough, as you know, that pinning the loss always on just a single thing is very unlikely to be correct.

There are major reasons and minor reasons for the relatively poor record we have. I’ve already admitted (and so has zeroG as I recall) that goaltending (Reimer) is our singular biggest issue. However, my disagreement with you is that it’s such a dominant problem that only that needs to be fixed and voila we’re top three in the division.

I’ll say that it might be true that all we need is a goalie. Maybe it would lead the team to play better in other ways too. But it’s far from a guarantee. I truly don’t understand why that’s such a controversial opinion. But, that’s where we seem to be.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Well, the team won last night with Petrovic in the lineup, and even if I think it was in spite of him, I gotta say this for Boughner:

1. Despite lousy goaltending, the team is still right in the thick of the playoff hunt.
2. Despite lousy goaltending, the penalty kill has been rather good in the last month.
3. The power play looks absolutely tremendous right now.
4. The players seem to genuinely respect him and respond to him.
5. Just about every time he mixes the lineup to create a spark... it creates a spark.

So I have to say, that as disappointed as I am with this team underachieving right now, I think Boog has still done a pretty good job this season. When I consider all of these factors, even in spite of my individual criticisms of specific decisions, I have to say that the signs -- to me -- point to competent coaching.

Last night specifically, his decision to slide Huberdeau into the first line after the first intermission and then pair him with Barkov in OT pretty much gave the team the boost it needed to win.
I agree with this, and while I’ve been critical of Boughner, I sure hope he keeps proving me wrong.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Well, he’s correct in that you seem to have no tolerance for difference of opinion.

So you join with vendetta and mischaracterize what other posters who disagree with you are saying, just so you can declare you’re right and you have the right solutions.

The game of hockey is fluid and fickle enough, as you know, that pinning the loss always on just a single thing is very unlikely to be correct.

There are major reasons and minor reasons for the relatively poor record we have. I’ve already admitted (and so has zeroG as I recall) that goaltending (Reimer) is our singular biggest issue. However, my disagreement with you is that it’s such a dominant problem that only that needs to be fixed and voila we’re top three in the division.

I’ll say that it might be true that all we need is a goalie. Maybe it would lead the team to play better in other ways too. But it’s far from a guarantee. I truly don’t understand why that’s such a controversial opinion. But, that’s where we seem to be.
I don’t think anyone is claiming we’re top 3 in the division with decent goaltending. But we’re surely a playoff team. Before the season I didn’t expect to be a contender. I’ve stated we won’t be a true contender till we have impact elc like borg tippet or other prospects filling out our depth and contributing significantly. And maybe a tweak on d. But goaltending is the only thing separating us from a playoff spot right now

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008

Please. You’re the one who misrepresented what I said the other day taking me down a discussion wasteland. Not once did I say only goaltending or nothing else needs to be improved. I have no idea why you keep saying I’m saying that.

ZeroG doesn’t even watch the games. Hard to take what he says seriously. He also comes out of the woodworks to tell people how they should discuss things.

And believe me, Vendetta and I do not join together. We debate things all the time. Guess some people take this place too seriously. It’s just a very obvious issue that other posters also point out but you don’t reply to them like you do to me.

Again, I’ve never said it’s the only problem that needs to be fixed. You keep misrepresentating my position. It’s so obvious that goaltending is what’s holding us back that if you don’t believe that then you’re either not watching the games or don’t believe goaltending is by far the most important position.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I don’t think anyone is claiming we’re top 3 in the division with decent goaltending. But we’re surely a playoff team. Before the season I didn’t expect to be a contender. I’ve stated we won’t be a true contender till we have impact elc like borg tippet or other prospects filling out our depth and contributing significantly. And maybe a tweak on d. But goaltending is the only thing separating us from a playoff spot right now
With Lu out, and again maintaining he's not as bad as made out to be, I don't think anyone feels he's the guy that's gonna give that extra hall of famer push that we have had in the past. That we need now.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Really enjoyed watching Vokoun play. You never knew what was going to happen. He would make a spectacular save but then let in a bouncing puck from center ice!
Those are by far tougher than a straight slap shot from the blueline, you wouldn't think.

How good Vokoun actually was-is how good Anderson was when I complained non stop about him not seeing time....and MacIntyre LOL

I still laugh out loud when I think of the feeling throughout the arena when he stepped on the ice, MacIntyre. Then ****head that took over the hockeyfights site (the most popular enforcers platform) leaves him off the poll for greatest fighter ever LOL its gotta be me i guess

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Please. You’re the one who misrepresented what I said the other day taking me down a discussion wasteland. Not once did I say only goaltending or nothing else needs to be improved. I have no idea why you keep saying I’m saying that.

ZeroG doesn’t even watch the games. Hard to take what he says seriously. He also comes out of the woodworks to tell people how they should discuss things.

And believe me, Vendetta and I do not join together. We debate things all the time. Guess some people take this place too seriously. It’s just a very obvious issue that other posters also point out but you don’t reply to them like you do to me.

Again, I’ve never said it’s the only problem that needs to be fixed. You keep misrepresentating my position. It’s so obvious that goaltending is what’s holding us back that if you don’t believe that then you’re either not watching the games or don’t believe goaltending is by far the most important position.
It’s obvious to anyone who follows and/or plays this game that the goalie position is the most important one.

It’s also obvious that goaltending is the main issue holding us back. You can go back to my prior posts and find me stating exactly that.

My disagreement with you and vendetta is that I don’t think it’s the ONLY important, the ONLY significant thing holding us back from playoffs. My interpretation is that both you and vendetta think it is.

I’ll allow that I may have misunderstood.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
It’s obvious to anyone who follows and/or plays this game that the goalie position is the most important one.

It’s also obvious that goaltending is the main issue holding us back. You can go back to my prior posts and find me stating exactly that.

My disagreement with you and vendetta is that I don’t think it’s the ONLY important, the ONLY significant thing holding us back from playoffs. My interpretation is that both you and vendetta think it is.

I’ll allow that I may have misunderstood.
Pretty much where I think anyone they're debating with stands.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
Better than...Andy?

Clearly better than Anderson. Anderson is great in small doses, you increase his workload, you expose his inconsistencies. Look at his career, games go up, stats get worse. Same thing happened here in his 53 games (hey, nearly a full starter's load for your 5th best tendy (over three years)).

In his season with 31 games, he had .924 and 2.71, in his season with 17 games he had .935 and 2.25 (Vokoun, respectively, went .919 and 2.68 in 69 games and .926 and 2.48 in 59 games).

Go further, look at his career in Ottawa. Games go up, stats go down. Any season above 50 games and his states drop like a lead balloon.

I'm bored so I'll go ahead and list them:

2011-12: 63 GP -- .914 , 2.83
2012-13: 24 GP -- .941, 1.69
2013-14: 53 GP -- .911, 3.00
2014-15: 35 GP -- .923, 2.49
2015-16: 60 GP -- .916, 2.78
2016-17: 40 GP -- .926, 2.28
2017-18: 58 GP -- .898, 3.32

It's a consistent feature of his career. He can get really hot at times and carry your team for a little while, but he is not reliable for a heavy workload, unlike Vokoun (who was clearly better than Anderson at every point of their careers).

Reactions: klabob

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA

first of all, i have watched ~60-70% of the games, going so far as streaming it on my phone so i can peek while i'm reading the kid's bedtime stories.

(furthermore, a knowledgable hockey person doesn't need to watch 100% to give you reasonable take on what's going on. but that's another can of worms...)

i am a huge fan and want this team to do well. i'm incredibly disappointed with this season, like everyone else. we're all looking for reasons.

anywho... now that lu's been back and gotten some games in, i find it interesting that the tenor of the conversation has changed a little bit. now we're beating on Dmen, it seems.

disgusted as i was tuesday night, i left the broadcast on to hear the post-game interviews and for the first time, i saw fear in boughner's eyes. he knows that vote of confidence a couple of weeks ago is only going to get him so far and these results are just damning. i feel bad for him - seems like a nice guy and like the way he talks about the game. he just hasn't been able to get this group to play the way it needs to play. i would hope there's consensus here that this team is underperforming.

MPGA

Make the Panthers Great Again
Nov 25, 2013
Unbelievable. Somebody in the media needs to ask this idiot specifically about the play of Petrocrap. Any real market would be roasting this dude for his bad play and the coach couldn't possibly play him without taking a hit to his credibility. But here we are, in sunny south Florida where incompetence is rewarded. f***ing trash coach.

Reactions: GermanPanther

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad