Coach Boughner

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
There is data showing we have a goalie who is giving up an above average amount of goals when compared to other goalies.

Tell me them in what scenario a goalie lets in above average amount of goals but the team is still winning.

The fact of the matter is that you're trying to wiggle yourself into believing that it's all about the goalies when the entire team goes into some stasis half way into the game or the 3rd period is under way.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Tell me them in what scenario a goalie lets in above average amount of goals but the team is still winning.

The fact of the matter is that you're trying to wiggle yourself into believing that it's all about the goalies when the entire team goes into some stasis half way into the game or the 3rd period is under way.
You just answered it. Teams don’t win when the goalie gives up this amount of goals. But we aren’t giving up above average amount of chances. So why exactly are u confused?

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
I can assure u no tea that goes to playoffs has a sub .900 sv %. And your actually wrong lots of teams give up prime scoring chances at all times in the Game. The good teams get a save and find a way to win. Oilers have won their last two games scoring 3 regulation goals. It was 0-0 vs Dallas and Ben was left alone in front with 2 seconds left. Koskinen robbed him and they won in ot. Last night tie game oilers go up 3-2 then immediately give up a breakaway and kiskinen saves it for the win. He also made a breakaway save earlier in the gane. Those are 3 saves in two games bigger than any saves Reimer has made all year that directly lead to 4 points. That’s on a team much worse than ours. On chances much worse than anything recently. Has Reimer even made a breakaway save yet?
That is pretty normal. Oilers are not a playoff team without good goaltending. On the other hand, Tampa is. They have 9-4-0 record with Louis "Swiss cheese" Domingue in net this season with .899 and 3.25 GAA. Last night he was directly to be blamed for two goals against the Sabres who came off from 10 game winning streak. However Tampa still found a way to win 5-4. They didn't give up scoring chances in the last two minutes when they lead by one goal. Panthers are not even close with Reimer 3.36 GAA and .894. Tampa is a great team, they find a way to win and keep a playoff record even if it is for a short period of time with Domingue, Panthers don't.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Is there a reason why kis is scratch? Again? For Petro, I don’t get it
Becuase Boughner is a moron. Unless I hear they are playing him to ship him which is an LOL becuase if anyone scouts him they’ll know how bad he is. Absolutely sad we’re sitting one of our best defenseman for this goof.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
I think they have this bizarre notion that
1) d men shouldn’t be making mistakes
2) can’t rely on a goalie to make big saves because see 1)

stop telling people they are wrong. you have your opinions and you can try to persuade. others can do the same. be civil for christ's sake.

regarding your points, you're mischaracterizing. we know that hockey is a game of mistakes. and we know you sometimes have to rely on your goaltender for a big save.

Reactions: KW and CHGoalie27

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Becuase Boughner is a moron. Unless I hear they are playing him to ship him which is an LOL becuase if anyone scouts him they’ll know how bad he is. Absolutely sad we’re sitting one of our best defenseman for this goof.
i honestly believe hes our most reliable defender. yet hes the one getting scratched. i dont get it. hell, at this point idk why hes stuck on the 3rd pairing. make the kis-weegar line #2 and the matheson-ekblad one 3rd.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
stop telling people they are wrong. you have your opinions and you can try to persuade. others can do the same. be civil for christ's sake.

regarding your points, you're mischaracterizing. we know that hockey is a game of mistakes. and we know you sometimes have to rely on your goaltender for a big save.
you're allowed to comment on people's opinions... are you going to watch the game tonight or just read the stat line and tell us how we're wrong?

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Well, the team won last night with Petrovic in the lineup, and even if I think it was in spite of him, I gotta say this for Boughner:

1. Despite lousy goaltending, the team is still right in the thick of the playoff hunt.
2. Despite lousy goaltending, the penalty kill has been rather good in the last month.
3. The power play looks absolutely tremendous right now.
4. The players seem to genuinely respect him and respond to him.
5. Just about every time he mixes the lineup to create a spark... it creates a spark.

So I have to say, that as disappointed as I am with this team underachieving right now, I think Boog has still done a pretty good job this season. When I consider all of these factors, even in spite of my individual criticisms of specific decisions, I have to say that the signs -- to me -- point to competent coaching.

Last night specifically, his decision to slide Huberdeau into the first line after the first intermission and then pair him with Barkov in OT pretty much gave the team the boost it needed to win.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Well, the team won last night with Petrovic in the lineup, and even if I think it was in spite of him, I gotta say this for Boughner:

1. Despite lousy goaltending, the team is still right in the thick of the playoff hunt.
2. Despite lousy goaltending, the penalty kill has been rather good in the last month.
3. The power play looks absolutely tremendous right now.
4. The players seem to genuinely respect him and respond to him.
5. Just about every time he mixes the lineup to create a spark... it creates a spark.

So I have to say, that as disappointed as I am with this team underachieving right now, I think Boog has still done a pretty good job this season. When I consider all of these factors, even in spite of my individual criticisms of specific decisions, I have to say that the signs -- to me -- point to competent coaching.

Last night specifically, his decision to slide Huberdeau into the first line after the first intermission and then pair him with Barkov in OT pretty much gave the team the boost it needed to win.
Great post

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I wish they would have kept Sateri in the fold. He looked very capable.
He sure as hell earned his.
One was at the end of his career and one was just beginning. I liked Vokoun but he was nothing special. He was just paid like he was.
He was pretty f***ing great at times when nobody else was. But Andy was at the beginning of his prime with us and I rank him the 5th best goalie we've had in 25 years (behind Lu Beezer Timmy and Eddie). Vokoun is just after. Sam will over take em all if they don't do him wrong :)

Reactions: Rahooji

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad