Coach Boughner

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
That’s exactly why goaltending matters! Defense will make mistakes and good goaltenders bail them out. Reimer is garbage at high danger chances against.

Goaltending won’t fix everything but it will make a huge difference. Maybe a good goaltender stops one of the goals against you’re pointing out.

The Individual mistakes you’re pointing out are not “team defense”
It’s goaltending.
It’s individual mistakes.
It’s team defense.
It’s making risky plays.
It’s a high number of giveaways.

Lots of this is due to the coach not getting through to the players. Bringing in a great goalie would get you maybe enough to sniff playoff possibility.

Bringing in a goalie, AND shaking up the lineup and coaching would do more.

You’re betting too much on goalie alone.

Reactions: zeroG

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
It’s goaltending.
It’s individual mistakes.
It’s team defense.
It’s making risky plays.
It’s a high number of giveaways.

Lots of this is due to the coach not getting through to the players. Bringing in a great goalie would get you maybe enough to sniff playoff possibility.

Bringing in a goalie, AND shaking up the lineup and coaching would do more.

You’re betting too much on goalie alone.
Pretty sure Boughner is getting through to them. They had 96 points last year. We play well most games except for our goaltenders.

LOL - good luck making all those changes.

If you’re trying to create the perfect team you’re living in a fantasy world.

One good goalie would make a huge difference. Everyone else is a small change.

You clearly don’t appreciate how important good goaltending is.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
And some goalies are better than others at stopping them. What’s your point?

So basically the gist is that "defense sucks real hard from time to time so we are just going pour it on Reimer when he ain't stopping clean breakaways upon Ek rolls the red carpet for the opposing players". You can't expect that Reimer is suddenly going to some Rinne or Price level from his backup / fringe starter role. When he got hired, Dale probably didn't envision at the time that he's supposed to turn into some Hasek or Kiprusoff-mode, a diamond in the rough just waiting to be discovered. His role is to catch the easy stuff, dished out from the blue line and not from two feet away. When you end up screaming that "Reimer needed to make a huge save there!" like on three out of four times then you're setting up the guy to fail.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Pretty sure Boughner is getting through to them. They had 96 points last year. We play well most games except for our goaltenders.

LOL - good luck making all those changes.

If you’re trying to create the perfect team you’re living in a fantasy world.

One good goalie would make a huge difference. Everyone else is a small change.

You clearly don’t appreciate how important good goaltending is.
Yes, they got 96 points last season. And they’re on pace for 78 points this season. And somehow you can’t see that as an issue with coaching.

I don’t understand your huge urgency to get a goalie (that’s not available), but no urgency to fix other problems. You clearly don’t appreciate how important coaching and team play is.

It’s a five player plus goalie game, but it’s not like basketball where one player can dominate night after night.

This TEAM needs to be fixed. INCLUDING goalie, and if someone’s available, preferably as the first position. But not the only one. There’s more wrong here than the goalie.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Yes, they got 96 points last season. And they’re on pace for 78 points this season. And somehow you can’t see that as an issue with coaching.

I don’t understand your huge urgency to get a goalie (that’s not available), but no urgency to fix other problems. You clearly don’t appreciate how important coaching and team play is.

It’s a five player plus goalie game, but it’s not like basketball where one player can dominate night after night.

This TEAM needs to be fixed. INCLUDING goalie, and if someone’s available, preferably as the first position. But not the only one. There’s more wrong here than the goalie.
The team is playing well except for the goalies. That’s why.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
So basically the gist is that "defense sucks real hard from time to time so we are just going pour it on Reimer when he ain't stopping clean breakaways upon Ek rolls the red carpet for the opposing players". You can't expect that Reimer is suddenly going to some Rinne or Price level from his backup / fringe starter role. When he got hired, Dale probably didn't envision at the time that he's supposed to turn into some Hasek or Kiprusoff-mode, a diamond in the rough just waiting to be discovered. His role is to catch the easy stuff, dished out from the blue line and not from two feet away. When you end up screaming that "Reimer needed to make a huge save there!" like on three out of four times then you're setting up the guy to fail.
Reimer needs to be decent. He sucks.

Nobody said Rinne level.

Reactions: vendetta

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
The team is not playing well except for the goalies. That’s where you’re wrong.
We are scoring over 3 goals a game, top ranked Pp, more shots on goal than against, giving up an average amount of high danger chances. You’re wrong.

We might have the worst duo in net in the league.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
We are scoring over 3 goals a game, top ranked Pp, more shots on goal than against, giving up an average amount of high danger chances. You’re wrong.

We might have the worst duo in net in the league.
So you’re all in that all they need to do is make a goalie change? Previously you claimed it’s not the only thing needed. Which is it.

Last night’s defeat wasn’t on Reimer as much as it was on the other things I listed. That’s typical of this season.

Goalie needs to be better (like I’ve said, this is most important). AND the other things need to be better.

If Q is available to coach here, that would be a good start.

You need to study the whole product and understand the whole game. You’re too easily swayed by stats that don’t tell a full story. Think about it.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
So you’re all in that all they need to do is make a goalie change? Previously you claimed it’s not the only thing needed. Which is it.

Last night’s defeat wasn’t on Reimer as much as it was on the other things I listed. That’s typical of this season.

Goalie needs to be better (like I’ve said, this is most important). AND the other things need to be better.

If Q is available to coach here, that would be a good start.

You need to study the whole product and understand the whole game. You’re too easily swayed by stats that don’t tell a full story. Think about it.
What are you talking about? Last night was on Reimer. Every single team makes mistakes that leads to chances against. Our goalies do a worse job than other goalies at stopping these chances. It's very simple to understand but you're overcomplicating it.

We can always make improvements but our goaltenders are why we're losing games more than Ekblad or Mathesosn or more than Trocheck in or out of the lineup. It's not even close. We have the second worst save percentage in the league. That affects 5 on 5 play and the PK too.

I understand the game, thanks. It's not about only stats. It's OBVIOUS that our goaltending is letting us down when you watch and it's confirmed by stats. When we won 5 games in a row we were getting, wait for it... solid to great goaltending!

Another coaching change is unnecessary. You can't expect Boughner to do well with the goaltending we're getting. Q won't do any better if Reimer is starting most of your games.

Every improvement after a new goalie is a marginal improvement.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
What are you talking about? Last night was on Reimer.

This just proves how delusional you've gotten with this. Bjugs gifted two goals by himself last night and Ek letting 4th liners to beat him like ragged mule. That's a 4-1 victory without gifting opportunities.

Let's do a recount: Lu sucks, Reimer sucks, Hutch sucks. So next we need to witness that Bobby Rovsky and/or Lehtonen sucks.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
This just proves how delusional you've gotten with this. Bjugs gifted two goals by himself last night and Ek letting 4th liners to beat him like ragged mule. That's a 4-1 victory without gifting opportunities.

Let's do a recount: Lu sucks, Reimer sucks, Hutch sucks. So next we need to witness that Bobby Rovsky and/or Lehtonen sucks.

Your goalie needs to bail you out. He doesn’t need to make every tough save but he needs to be there to make a big save which Reimer doesn’t do enough of when compared to other goalies. Teams will always give up chances. This isn’t complicated.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
What are you talking about? Last night was on Reimer. Every single team makes mistakes that leads to chances against. Our goalies do a worse job than other goalies at stopping these chances. It's very simple to understand but you're overcomplicating it.

We can always make improvements but our goaltenders are why we're losing games more than Ekblad or Mathesosn or more than Trocheck in or out of the lineup. It's not even close. We have the second worst save percentage in the league. That affects 5 on 5 play and the PK too.

I understand the game, thanks. It's not about only stats. It's OBVIOUS that our goaltending is letting us down when you watch and it's confirmed by stats. When we won 5 games in a row we were getting, wait for it... solid to great goaltending!

Another coaching change is unnecessary. You can't expect Boughner to do well with the goaltending we're getting. Q won't do any better if Reimer is starting most of your games.

Every improvement after a new goalie is a marginal improvement.
To be clear, I'm not arguing that the goalie position isn’t the first one to fix. But having said that, last night is a good illustration why it isn’t all Reimer’s fault.

Goal 1: mostly on Ek. But admittedly, a great goalie would have pokechecked the puck away or anticipated the deke.

Goal 2: not on Reimer. Just a great offensive play. if anything, on defensive position.

Goal 3: not on Reimer. First, the breakaway should never have happened. Second, Reimer stopped him until Bjugstad shoved the guy, causing the puck to go off his leg and in.

Goal 4: half on Reimer. Puck was deflected and shot should never have been allowed. But it wasn’t a hard save if Reimer had covered low.

Goal 5: maybe almost a half on Reimer. But more than half on Bjugstad. A great goalie would have maybe stopped it. Fine. But a better forward playing the right way wouldn’t have given the lane to shoot.

If you say, a great goalie would have stopped one or maybe even two, fine. But I can equally say that better team defense and less giveaways would have prevented two or maybe three. No OT.

So it’s not all fixable with a better goalie. More is needed.

Reactions: Kid Icarus

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
To be clear, I'm not arguing that the goalie position isn’t the first one to fix. But having said that, last night is a good illustration why it isn’t all Reimer’s fault.

Goal 1: mostly on Ek. But admittedly, a great goalie would have pokechecked the puck away or anticipated the deke.

Goal 2: not on Reimer. Just a great offensive play. if anything, on defensive position.

Goal 3: not on Reimer. First, the breakaway should never have happened. Second, Reimer stopped him until Bjugstad shoved the guy, causing the puck to go off his leg and in.

Goal 4: half on Reimer. Puck was deflected and shot should never have been allowed. But it wasn’t a hard save if Reimer had covered low.

Goal 5: maybe almost a half on Reimer. But more than half on Bjugstad. A great goalie would have maybe stopped it. Fine. But a better forward playing the right way wouldn’t have given the lane to shoot.

If you say, a great goalie would have stopped one or maybe even two, fine. But I can equally say that better team defense and less giveaways would have prevented two or maybe three. No OT.

A better goalie makes saves when the skaters make a mistake. They’re the last line of defense. Mistakes happen every game. If we are only going to expect them to make the routine saves then we are in trouble. This is a basic concept.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
A better goalie makes saves when the skaters make a mistake. They’re the last line of defense. Mistakes happen every game. If we are only going to expect them to make the routine saves then we are in trouble. This is a basic concept.
You’re avoiding the point I’m making. Maybe purposely?

Let me simplify. Are you saying that essentially *all* we need is to solidify the goalie position? Or are you saying that we need that plus other stuff? Such as coach and/or certain player(s) to be traded away with replacement coming in, and certain players to be waived (if can’t be included in trade.

Last edited:

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
You’re avoiding the point I’m making. Maybe purposely?
You’re not making a good point.

From the get go you’ve been misrepresenting what I’ve been saying.

I never said a good goalie will solve everything or this team will be perfect but for some reason you took my uncontroversial and data driven point, that our goaltending suck. A good or even a decent goalie would improve this team significantly and keep trying to make some point that our d makes mistakes (shocking!) and there are other things we can fix too (no shit!).

I’ll leave you with this, maybe you’ll finally understand...Goaltending is by far the most important position. Our goalies have been terrible. If. we improve the most important position, while playing the same level of defense, we will win a lot more games. This is not a novel concept. This is not insightful. This is something you should agree with and understand.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
You’re not making a good point.

From the get go you’ve been misrepresenting what I’ve been saying.

I never said a good goalie will solve everything or this team will be perfect but for some reason you took my uncontroversial and data driven point, that our goaltending suck. A good or even a decent goalie would improve this team significantly and keep trying to make some point that our d makes mistakes (shocking!) and there are other things we can fix too (no ****!).

I’ll leave you with this, maybe you’ll finally understand...Goaltending is by far the most important position. Our goalies have been terrible. If. we improve the most important position, while playing the same level of defense, we will win a lot more games. This is not a novel concept. This is not insightful. This is something you should agree with and understand.
Well, maybe. I just happen to think that you didn’t understand my position.

I have said that the goalie position is the most important player fix. I agree with you there.

But I don’t think that’s enough to improve sufficiently to sniff playoffs. Especially not after this start. Therefore more is needed - this season, right away. What is that “more”? I suspect this is where you disagree.

If coach Q is available, we should go for it. It’ll provide a needed shock to the team and a shot at an improved system. It carries a risk for this season...just like Julien did for Montreal. But look at them now.

If one of Bjugstad/Huberdeau/Matheson/Ekblad could be traded with similar perceived value coming back (best would be as a goalie), that trade needs to happen.

And then certain players need to be traded for picks if possible (or waived). Reimer, Hutch, Petro, Pysyk.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Well, maybe. I just happen to think that you didn’t understand my position.

I have said that the goalie position is the most important player fix. I agree with you there.

But I don’t think that’s enough to improve sufficiently to sniff playoffs. Especially not after this start. Therefore more is needed - this season, right away. What is that “more”? I suspect this is where you disagree.

If coach Q is available, we should go for it. It’ll provide a needed shock to the team and a shot at an improved system. It carries a risk for this season...just like Julien did for Montreal. But look at them now.

If one of Bjugstad/Huberdeau/Matheson/Ekblad could be traded with similar perceived value coming back (best would be as a goalie), that trade needs to happen.

And then certain players need to be traded for picks if possible (or waived). Reimer, Hutch, Petro, Pysyk.
We can always be better. But it all starts in net. And if we get decent goaltending we should have a very good shot at the playoffs. We are not far off at all from putting wins together like we did with our 5 game win streak when we got solid to great goaltending.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
We can always be better. But it all starts in net. And if we get decent goaltending we should have a very good shot at the playoffs. We are not far off at all from putting wins together like we did with our 5 game win streak when we got solid to great goaltending.
Okay, so I disagree that it is enough.

Anyhow, how do you propose we get that goaltending right now? Like this week. Can’t wait, soon it will be too late.

Reactions: RainingRats

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Okay, so I disagree that it is enough.

Anyhow, how do you propose we get that goaltending right now? Like this week. Can’t wait, soon it will be too late.
Call up Monty to see what he can do while we trade a prospect/picks (not the first) to find a goalie and give up anyone not named hepo or borg. Timing wise: ASAP

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
I rag on Reim but that shorthanded goal shouldn't have counted, imo. I don't like any kind of nudging of the puck with the skate. Unintentional re-direct is fine. But if you purposely change the puck's direction -- even slightly and/or skate blade on the ice or not -- I think it should be disallowed.

Go watch soccer if you wanna see that kind of s***.

PS: I don't like those goals where you scoop up the puck on your blade and fling it either. Go watch lacrosse if you want to see that s***. Haha
-ghoste

Last edited:

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton

Your just wrong. Your just saying the mistakes can’t happen but that’s just not possible or reality. The goalies have to save the f***ing puck period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad