Post-Game Talk: Cloned can finally take a cold shower. Nurse needs some more practice.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I don't think this view is completely fair in context of guys like Archibald carrying the club in some recent results. Archie and Gagner were both injured tonight. We don't have Kass, Neal, McD, Klef, Russel, its really catching up to us. The bottom nine have had yeoman efforts in last handful of games.

The Wild have a better and more talented bottomnine than we do. its a differently configured roster. we;re top heavy with the McDrai contracts. The wild roster isn't built out like that, they have more depth.

Want to blame people for what this roster looks like. Blame guys like Kassian for it.

Archie is on the second line right now, so my comment was the bottom 6. I can accept having less talent than the opposition, which we do. Can't accept being outworked in your few minutes on the ice. If you have less talent than the opposition and he also outworks you, then you failed at your job. This time of year it's not the teams that bring it 3 out of 5 games that are successful. Its the ones that bring it all the time, like 9 out of 10 games.. We are fighting for our playoff lives because we don't bring it consistently enough.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Takeaways:

Nurse needs to get off PP1 I’m sorry he’s not suited for it.

Was Benson in the doghouse? Tippet put him with Russell and Cave and Khaira took his spot in the final PP. Like why? What did Benson even do?

I hope McD comes back soon.

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
f***. We should go 4-0 this stretch, but we don't need to try hard against bad teams, so 2-2 it is!

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
3-2-1 without McDavid who gets back tomorrow (and maybe with a new winger ;)).

I honestly don’t think anyone should be that upset. The Oilers played like a team that was missing 1/2 it’s starting lineup. It happens. We’re still in a good spot.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Archie is on the second line right now, so my comment was the bottom 6. I can accept having less talent than the opposition, which we do. Can't accept being outworked in your few minutes on the ice. If you have less talent than the opposition and he also outworks you, then you failed at your job. This time of year it's not the teams that bring it 3 out of 5 games that are successful. Its the ones that bring it all the time, like 9 out of 10 games.. We are fighting for our playoff lives because we don't bring it consistently enough.

We have a 2nd line? I can't tell..;)

The great thing about pro team sports is theres two teams on the field and both capable. But if you're going to say the bolded you also have to see it from the Wild perspective. Quite clearly they needed this result more than we do.

This team has brought it on most nights and heroically lately. With what Chiarelli left as a bombed out lineup we can't sustain and survive half a dozen injuries to starters. We don't have a roster left that allows for that. hell we've got two raw rooks in Yama and Benson playing topsix, we've got 3 raw rooks on D. A vet team is going to bend that over on most nights. We have 2 established topsix forwards in our whole lineup right now. That's a lot of deficit to overcome.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
f*ck. We should go 4-0 this stretch, but we don't need to try hard against bad teams, so 2-2 it is!

Minnesota is not a horrible team. They’re pretty damn close to the playoff picture considering their games in hand.

Also 2 and 2? What?

I expect the team to go 3-1-1 next week.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Minnesota is not a horrible team. They’re pretty damn close to the playoff picture considering their games in hand.

Also 2 and 2? What?

The good news takeaway from tonight is that the Flames lost in regulation and that Nashville and Minny both have games in hand are poised to be able to knock the flames out of the last wild card spot. I kind of like that look at things..

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The whole PP has been weird on the breakout without McD. We've still been scoring goals so this is being overlooked. but its really struggled advancing puck up ice and gaining offensive zone on the PP. Its been a problem without McD's jetpack.
You know which part I'm talking about though, right? A forward had supported the D and was in his spot on the breakout. Instead of adjusting, Nurse just skated to where he was supposed to be. It was very odd.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You know which part I'm talking about though, right? A forward had supported the D and was in his spot on the breakout. Instead of adjusting, Nurse just skated to where he was supposed to be. It was very odd.

Sure. But its odder to me that the club didn't rescheme the breakout to reflect McD not being here for a couple weeks. A lot of the drop back breakout scheme is specifically with him in mind. I know a lot of teams do this now but its a waste of PP clock for us to do it now and it frankly doesn't look like anybody is that confident carrying the mail. Drai is usually tired, we don't have the right breakout schemes right now without McD. He's so critical in that facet.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
We have a 2nd line? I can't tell..;)

The great thing about pro team sports is theres two teams on the field and both capable. But if you're going to say the bolded you also have to see it from the Wild perspective. Quite clearly they needed this result more than we do.

This team has brought it on most nights and heroically lately. With what Chiarelli left as a bombed out lineup we can't sustain and survive half a dozen injuries to starters. We don't have a roster left that allows for that. hell we've got two raw rooks in Yama and Benson playing topsix, we've got 3 raw rooks on D. A vet team is going to bend that over on most nights. We have 2 established topsix forwards in our whole lineup right now. That's a lot of deficit to overcome.

I would say that both teams needed the win, but the Wild wanted the win more. That was clear by their dominance in winning puck battles. Anyhow, onto the next one. Single games usually don't matter in the grand scheme of things, unless one looks back and it was the start of a losing streak, which we've for the most part avoided so far this year.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
Can't win games with one forward line. At this point, I rather put Smith on the PP than Nurse.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
The depth problems was noticeable tonight. Tough when you have 3 4th lines. Lol.

GG.

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018

Also 2 and 2? What?

I'd like that, but 0-3 in regulation vs Minnesota this year does not merit a resounding endorsement.

Reactions: Coffey

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I hope that Nurse remembers that part of the game where he didn't know what to do on the breakout for the powerplay. That was a pretty good indicator that he needs to think the game a little clearer.

They have an extra man on the ice.

I might be completely off base here but it kind of seems to me like Nurse has been very reliant on Bear to break the puck out of their own end lately and that Nurse has iced more than his fair share of pucks when he hasn't.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'd like that, but 0-3 in regulation vs Minnesota this year does not merit a resounding endorsement.

Some teams for some reason or another have the other teams number. We had our chances to win tonight but didn't. We'll get there against Minnesota at some point.

ZenOil

Fast Twitch Hitch
Sep 23, 2010
Vancouver
I can only think Tippet put Nurse on PP before Bear for team psychology. The vet got his chance, it hasnt worked and now it is Bears turn. Bear clearly thinks the game better and now is his time to be given the oppurtunity to show it. Also really want Slepyshev back on the team. Ganger, Kharia, Benson>Slepyshev. Fast, Heavy on the puck, good possesion numbers and has put up big points this past year in the KHL. Now is the perfect time to give him an audition. Nothing to lose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad