Post-Game Talk: Cloned can finally take a cold shower. Nurse needs some more practice.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Wonder which player said that. Why can't Stauffer just mention the players name? It's not like something hush hush

IMO it doesnt really matter who said it...I think its a statement of just how high Draisaitl is regarded around the League.

We are so incredibly lucky to have Draisaitl and McDavid on this team. There really isnt a better foundation for building a contender in the League right now.

Last edited:

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
giphy.gif

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Wonder which player said that. Why can't Stauffer just mention the players name? It's not like something hush hush
A lot of discussions happen off the record, you have to clear it with the player if you want to attribute a quote to them and maybe he didn't want to turn a laid back discussion into a serious one by acting like a journalist.

If you want to play the role of detective there are enough clues there that you can have an educated guess at who it might be.
  • It's rare to hear a young player speak about versatility or PK ability when evaluating the best player in the league so it's likely a vet in their late 20's or 30's
  • The skill of making plays on your forehand or backhand, is generally most appreciated by d-men and centers.
  • Strong faceoff ability is generally most appreciated by other centers.
  • Stauffer also emphasized it was after the game making it seem likely it was a player who played in the game and not someone sitting in the pressbox all night like Brad Hunt
  • Stauffer talks to a lot of people, but certainly seems biased to chatting up local products and former Oilers more frequently.
  • National biases are a thing and a European would likely be slightly more inclined to say Draisaitl is the best.
Even with all those potential hints the only players I'd eliminate from potentially saying that is the guys who are 28 and under. If I had a gun to my head and was forced to guess I'd pick either Eric Staal or Mikko Koivu, but I could see it being any one of 10 guys.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
A lot of discussions happen off the record, you have to clear it with the player if you want to attribute a quote to them and maybe he didn't want to turn a laid back discussion into a serious one by acting like a journalist.

If you want to play the role of detective there are enough clues there that you can have an educated guess at who it might be.
  • It's rare to hear a young player speak about versatility or PK ability when evaluating the best player in the league so it's likely a vet in their late 20's or 30's
  • The skill of making plays on your forehand or backhand, is generally most appreciated by d-men and centers.
  • Strong faceoff ability is generally most appreciated by other centers.
  • Stauffer also emphasized it was after the game making it seem likely it was a player who played in the game and not someone sitting in the pressbox all night like Brad Hunt
  • Stauffer talks to a lot of people, but certainly seems biased to chatting up local products and former Oilers more frequently.
  • National biases are a thing and a European would likely be slightly more inclined to say Draisaitl is the best.
Even with all those potential hints the only players I'd eliminate from potentially saying that is the guys who are 28 and under. If I had a gun to my head and was forced to guess I'd pick either Eric Staal or Mikko Koivu, but I could see it being any one of 10 guys.
I Beleive its dubnyk

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Some of you guys refuse to place any blame on Nurse and cite all the minutes he played as an excuse for poor play but have no problem throwing stones at Klefbom when he makes mistakes after logging so many minutes.
It’s not an apples to apples comparison though is it. Klefbom has the benefit of having Nurse playing behind him. Nurse has the benefit of rookies this season, and trash last season, backing him up. I know you can see the difference there. Unless you can point to a moment in time when Nurse was injured and Klefbom carried the team. Personally I don’t recall that ever happening.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
McSaviour cant get back fast enough ! The overall game was very bad,cant only have 1 line whos a threat,the other lines was hammered in own zone.

Anyone blaming Koskinen needs a reality check, made a lot of huge saves and kept us in the game!

oil4life97

Aug 10, 2005
McSaviour cant get back fast enough ! The overall game was very bad,cant only have 1 line whos a threat,the other lines was hammered in own zone.

Anyone blaming Koskinen needs a reality check, made a lot of huge saves and kept us in the game!

rocking a sub .900 save percentage, wouldn’t call it his best performance.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
At this moment, while offensive depth is (again) the big issue, I'd like to point out that a player I defended while he was here (Ryan Strome) currently has 53 points and a +20 for a non-playoff team....

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I remember back in 1987-88 when, in three games against Minnesota (the North Stars, of course), Gretzky had 7 goals and 13 points (+9). In one game alone, he had 13 shots on net against them (five went in, with a sixth disputed and disallowed by the ref).

Since then, obviously, the Oilers have lost every single game to Minnesota.

Reactions: TB12

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
How did I know that once he lets in more than one goal, Koskinen would be getting whipped by a bunch of people on here (many of whom inexplicably defend Smith). Mikko faced 38 shots on home ice, which is fairly ridiculous in itself and should tell us what we need to know about our club's defensive ability in this one. 3 of 37 shots beat him cleanly (.919), with another one tipping off his teammates's stick and into the corner of the net.

One of the Oilers' goals was extremely lucky to put it mildly, but we need more than one line to score goals on home ice if we want to win.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Khaira is a bad hockey player. A really bad hockey player who gives other teams hope and momentum.

The refs then decided this game. They got the result dictated to them.

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
Meh, it was Minny...what could happen.

- Boys put up a good fight but the lack of depth got us.
- One thing that stood out this game, was the inability to get pucks out of the d-zone, when it was most needed. They fumbled so many pucks and easy get-outs.
- Yamamoto amazes me. That kid has heart, wheels and the brains. His backcheck was a thing of beauty.
- Drai is angry, which means he will only get better.

Onto the next one.

Last edited:
Reactions: RattsSSV

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Woke up, saw the score. Here’s my thoughts:

get us a defenseman there is physical and can clear the net. I’m so sick of seeing these guys just stand there and there absolutely horrible clearing attempts. I think Jones was the most embarrassing last night. Also get us a goalie that can steal a game. Smith has been good, but he’s old and won’t be around forever. Koskinen started the season on fire, but lately he’s just average at best. I know it isn’t all his fault, but for god sakes can he make a couple big saves to keep us in the game. He did it at the start of the season, now it seems anything outside of a routine save and he blows it.

anyway, how are you happy folks this morning? I think I shall get myself a double double from Tims.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
First game of the year I didn’t watch live or on TV. Instead I was grinding my feet into a pulp walking a bazillion miles and freezing my ass off at a theme park in Florida but honestly it sounds like I didn’t miss much.

The one team I hate to watch is Minnesota. I think I hate them the most right after the Flames and the Leafs. They have the dumbest name in hockey usually play the most boring game. They just swept the season series on us - 6 points to 0. Awful.

Archibald Sheahan Benson Khaira I see were a -3, Tip called out the Sheahan line in his post game presser and Spec called them out in his post game
article so did these guys suck and was Khaira next to useless again?

It sounds like Koskinen was just ok and I assume the top line was lights out yet again.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Too many defensive lapses. Can't give away gift goals like we did in this one.

Of all the teams fighting for a wild card, Minny is probably the best of the lot and deserve to make the playoffs. Glad we don't play them again this year.

Refocus and prepare for Sunday. Hopefully Connor is back. Would be a perfect time to slot in a superstar.

Reactions: tardigrade81

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Khaira, Nurse, Lagesson, and Larsson cost us this game. This was Nurse's chance to show his worth. He has cemented himself as an AT BEST #4, defensive defenceman type. He has zero offensive capacity. He doesn't think the game game creatively enough to be effective on the PP. I believe he could be a net positive player if he focuses on defending and making the right play in our own zone, while letting Bear play with the puck as much as possible back there.

Larsson is a disaster. Directly responsible for 2 goals last night. It's crazy how much better Jones looks in terms of reducing chances against and making the right play to not only reduce defensive risk, but improve offensive chances by moving the puck to our forwards in stride.

Nurse and Larsson are too heavily relied upon. Ideally they're both playing half the minutes they do now. Larsson shouldn't be in the NHL. I would genuinely consider trying Jones-Bear right now. They've been our two best defencemen for a bit now. Nurse can't handle big minutes.

It's demented that I'm hoping Russell gets back soon, because I am of the belief that they will run a pairing of Russell-Bouchard to start when he gets back.

Jones-Bear (24+ minutes)
Nurse-Larsson (18 minutes)
Russell-Bouchard (14-18 minutes)

My guess would be that Bouchard moves up with Nurse quite quickly, with one of Larsson or Benning being moved. The one who stays will be playing 3rd pairing with Russell, giving us...

Jones-Bear (24+)
Nurse-Bouchard (22+)
Russell-Lars/Benzo (10-14)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad