Post-Game Talk: Cloned can finally take a cold shower. Nurse needs some more practice.

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
because they aren't crappy!!! they are nhl players who are talented. Show other teams respect.

I appreciate what you are saying however I was not besmirching other teams players, rather I was saying that the Oilers struggle to win against crappy teams.

As we all know the Oilers under Katz's ownership have been among the worst teams in league history and none of us should be throwing stones - glass houses and all. With that said, after seeing all the mud thrown our way over the years I am glad to see that what comes around goes around.

Please don't tell me to show anyone respect. I have always tried to be respectful of everyone & their team despite any animosity real or imagined.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Khaira, Nurse, Lagesson, and Larsson cost us this game. This was Nurse's chance to show his worth. He has cemented himself as an AT BEST #4, defensive defenceman type. He has zero offensive capacity. He doesn't think the game game creatively enough to be effective on the PP. I believe he could be a net positive player if he focuses on defending and making the right play in our own zone, while letting Bear play with the puck as much as possible back there.

Larsson is a disaster. Directly responsible for 2 goals last night. It's crazy how much better Jones looks in terms of reducing chances against and making the right play to not only reduce defensive risk, but improve offensive chances by moving the puck to our forwards in stride.

Nurse and Larsson are too heavily relied upon. Ideally they're both playing half the minutes they do now. Larsson shouldn't be in the NHL. I would genuinely consider trying Jones-Bear right now. They've been our two best defencemen for a bit now. Nurse can't handle big minutes.

It's demented that I'm hoping Russell gets back soon, because I am of the belief that they will run a pairing of Russell-Bouchard to start when he gets back.

Jones-Bear (24+ minutes)
Nurse-Larsson (18 minutes)
Russell-Bouchard (14-18 minutes)

My guess would be that Bouchard moves up with Nurse quite quickly, with one of Larsson or Benning being moved. The one who stays will be playing 3rd pairing with Russell, giving us...

Jones-Bear (24+)
Nurse-Bouchard (22+)
Russell-Lars/Benzo (10-14)

Interesting take on things, TBH i think you're underrating Nurse's offense a bit. He's been making a lot of decent reads jumping into the play and creating chances, I think he needs to work on opening up for the one timer once he's in the positions and aim for rebounds, he always shoots close side instead of far side when we have guys following up.

What two goals was Larsson directly responsible for? I'm guessing the unlucky deflection off his stick is one.

IMO pairing Jones and Bear together would be detrimental to both of the top two pairs at the moment, Jones didn't overly have a great night last night either against a heavier team.

I don't see how you expect those changes to occur considering we have one game and two days to the deadline, there is no way Bouchard goes from out of the lineup to bottom pairing to middle pairing to us trading Larsson/Benzo in two days at this point. If anything I'd expect Russell would be getting moved right now but he's injured

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Too many defensive lapses. Can't give away gift goals like we did in this one.

Of all the teams fighting for a wild card, Minny is probably the best of the lot and deserve to make the playoffs. Glad we don't play them again this year.

Refocus and prepare for Sunday. Hopefully Connor is back. Would be a perfect time to slot in a superstar.
Jones awful clear attempt is what led to the game being tied. Changed the dynamic of the game completely, but this has been an issue all year..... horrible clearing attempts and we still can’t figure out what to do in our own end. Frustrating.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Khaira, Nurse, Lagesson, and Larsson cost us this game. This was Nurse's chance to show his worth. He has cemented himself as an AT BEST #4, defensive defenceman type. He has zero offensive capacity. He doesn't think the game game creatively enough to be effective on the PP. I believe he could be a net positive player if he focuses on defending and making the right play in our own zone, while letting Bear play with the puck as much as possible back there.

Larsson is a disaster. Directly responsible for 2 goals last night. It's crazy how much better Jones looks in terms of reducing chances against and making the right play to not only reduce defensive risk, but improve offensive chances by moving the puck to our forwards in stride.

Nurse and Larsson are too heavily relied upon. Ideally they're both playing half the minutes they do now. Larsson shouldn't be in the NHL. I would genuinely consider trying Jones-Bear right now. They've been our two best defencemen for a bit now. Nurse can't handle big minutes.

It's demented that I'm hoping Russell gets back soon, because I am of the belief that they will run a pairing of Russell-Bouchard to start when he gets back.

Jones-Bear (24+ minutes)
Nurse-Larsson (18 minutes)
Russell-Bouchard (14-18 minutes)

My guess would be that Bouchard moves up with Nurse quite quickly, with one of Larsson or Benning being moved. The one who stays will be playing 3rd pairing with Russell, giving us...

Jones-Bear (24+)
Nurse-Bouchard (22+)
Russell-Lars/Benzo (10-14)

We allowed 4 goals 5 on 5. That is what cost us the game. Nurse played 27 minutes and was not on the ice for one of them, and he cost us the game?

We are not going to win all of them, especially with what we are missing right now. Lines 2-4 provided zero offense, but hey let's pile on one of the guys that did what he is supposed to.

Having said that though, I think it is time to put Bear on the first unit. He is made for the PP, mobile with a good shot and good vision. Hell I bet he could replace Klefbom on the top unit as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sweetpotato

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Some advanced stat nerd on Twitter was saying nischuskin was having a better season than drai.

It was Evolving Wild. A pair of twins and admitted Oiler haters and yet another pair of statzi’s who prove yet again most advanced stats are absolutely meaningless.

I can’t find the tweet where they said Nichushkin is better than Leon. They also believe Spurgeon is the perfect NHL defenceman.

A bunch of Edmonton media jumped down his throat and they got triggered.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Re Draisaitl for the Hart, problem is Nuge and Yamamoto are doing so well so Draisaitl is not dragging them to wins.

At worst 2nd best player in the league though.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Wild are still a good veteran team when they want to be, they are fighting for their playoff lives right now and it showed and they still needed a Herculean effort from Spurgeon to best us.

I liked what I saw from the Oilers last night. All lines were moving their feet and battling. Of the negatives though Larsson has a rough game, Nurse just isn’t suited for the PP, Lagesson still getting adjusted and Khaira bless his heart is trying but he’s just not able to perform at the level he needs to be at.

Kaniac

Sep 11, 2018
It was Evolving Wild. A pair of twins and admitted Oiler haters and yet another pair of statzi’s who prove yet again most advanced stats are absolutely meaningless.

I can’t find the tweet where they said Nichushkin is better than Leon. They also believe Spurgeon is the perfect NHL defenceman.

Everything about those tweets are absolute garbage lol. I sure hoped they got jumped on.
All those analytics are nonsense. There are a very few that are worth watching.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
At this moment, while offensive depth is (again) the big issue, I'd like to point out that a player I defended while he was here (Ryan Strome) currently has 53 points and a +20 for a non-playoff team....
Might go down as the worst trade in franchise history. Yes worse than Hall!

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Here's the crown jewel:

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Nurse isn't the problem on the PP. Not having McDavid out there is. And a big one. This team has no one(yet) that can consistently gain the line or even be a threat to do so. Drai is the closest, and we usually need some smart passing to get it in, or just a dump in. Once we're in the zone, I think we do okay. We had some grade A chances last night, but unfortunately, the guys (especially Nurse) just couldn't cash in. It happens. Despite the eventual shots on goal, we could have put this one away early if we had potted a couple more. I think the Wild would have wilted a bit after that.

Three things.

Loved Yamo's post game comment, where he said he needed to bear down harder and cash in on his chances. Taking personal repsonsibility. This kid is such a keeper. The way he came back hard after losing the puck at the blue line was a testament to his character.

And speaking of coming back hard, a huge shoutout to Drai. The passes didn't click last night, and when they did, others couldn't finish them. But he was a beast back checking and forechecking all over the ice. True leadership. So impressed with where his game is now. A real 200 footer, he is. Turning into a great player. And to think, there was a poster a couple months ago that said he shouldn't have to do anything else other than to get points. Embarrassing that was.

Nuge has an incredibly under-rated shot. I'll go out on a limb and predict 40 goals for him next year, IF he can stay healthy, and they keep this line together. He and Yamo are developing a real chemistry together with Drai. Imagine how good they are going to be after a full year of plying together?

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Here's the crown jewel:

Wtf is with that tweet applauding them for doubling down on something wrong? This and another tweet I saw yesterday saying something about applauding a guy for his boldness for tweeting something controversial... this is what is wrong with the world, that people are encouraging others to intentionally post shit. This leads to everyone feeling like their opinion has value on any discussion, regardless education or expertise on the subject. You’re allowed to have your own opinion, but if you aren’t allowing yourself to be wrong, then you won’t ever learn, which also hampers future generations to learn. /rant

It’s going to be hard to win the Hart this year, since there are quite a few good candidates, especially when two candidates are on the same team, how do you argue that Drai is the MVP when you also have Connor, and vice versa.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
You don't need to check the mains. You can get that right here
It’s unbelievable, we’ve lost 1 game in the last 5 before last night in regulation, without Connor. We lose to a very desperate team last night and some of the posts in here are.

Fire Holland
Holland has to do something now to fix this horrible mess
Koskinen is the worst goalie in the universe, which is what those same posters said about Smith a couple months ago.

If we get that last goal and win last night, people are posting about how we will March right to the cup final, and should trade our first because the time to win is now!

Instead we lose and we might as well be prepping for the draft lotter

Reactions: Bones2079

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
It’s unbelievable, we’ve lost 1 game in the last 5 before last night in regulation, without Connor. We lose to a very desperate team last night and some of the posts in here are.

Fire Holland
Holland has to do something now to fix this horrible mess
Koskinen is the worst goalie in the universe, which is what those same posters said about Smith a couple months ago.

If we get that last goal and win last night, people are posting about how we will March right to the cup final, and should trade our first because the time to win is now!

Instead we lose and we might as well be prepping for the draft lotter
Now doubt, the fans are fickle. I love this guy. I hate this guy. No, I still love this guy, etc.. This team is great. This team sucks. This team is great. Etc, etc... Like being on a roller coaster ride every day!

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I saw a lot of mental mistakes in the game tonight. Larsson and to a lesser extent Nurse were making bad decisions all game.
Same for most of the forward group. They were just not on their game...looked mentally tired to me.

The Dria, RNH and Yamamoto line was a force once again. Once McDavid gets back he is going to be matched up against the other teams 2nd pairing...that should be fun. :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->