Line Combos: Cleary out for Tuesday?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm confident 2-3 years from now when Nyquist has fully developed, you guys will have a good picture of why I so passionately campaigned for him to be on the team sooner than he ultimately is.

I think he could be proving that this year or next year, if the Red Wings developed him properly, but I digress.

Time will tell I suppose.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I'm confident 2-3 years from now when Nyquist has fully developed, you guys will have a good picture of why I so passionately campaigned for him to be on the team sooner than he ultimately is.

I think he could be proving that this year or next year, if the Red Wings developed him properly, but I digress.

And what if he only comes up and never becomes anything more than a thirty or forty point player?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
To get back on the Cleary topic.... If Cleary is indeed benched, it's an encouraging sign. Babcock who has turned the other cheek to Cleary's poor play may finally be choosing to see him in an "objective" light as opposed to "subjective". Could be a good turning point in the Cleary saga.

Also Samuelsson in for Cleary is not ideal, but I think Samuelsson is clearly a better offensive player. The only concern I have is when Samuelsson sits for long periods of time, like last year, it seems like he has a hard time getting "up and going". His skating looks notably worse after he is dormant for periods of time.

I would rather have Eaves on the 3rd line over Sammy.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012

I hope you're right.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
And what if he only comes up and never becomes anything more than a thirty or forty point player?

If that happens, he will be replaced by those Jurcos and Manthas we have in system, someone will pan out. That's not the end of the world with the current prospect pool.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Don't think that's an impossibility. Just stating what I believe in.

Like I said, time will tell. I have no shame in eating crow. I've been wrong many times before.

1. I thought the Ericsson signing was the worst thing ever <<< Dead wrong
2. I thought there was no way Ryan Suter would sign for more than 6.5 million before he hit free agency :laugh:
3. I thought Filppula was going to be a 50-60 point player way more consistently than 1 time in his career in Detroit.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
So you're ok with the fact that we could be icing a better team every night, but are choosing not to. Yes or no?

He'll get there? People have been saying that for 3 years and he's still not "there yet". And it's damn sure not because of a lack of production. It's not like we're talking about a 20 or 21 year old. He is 24 years old.

That run we went on last year you keep citing, was do in large part to Nyquist coming up and reinvigorating a "3rd scoring line".

Preach.

That avatar is awesome, BTW!

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I hope you're right.

Sorry to let my bias get me in a heated debate. You make a fair point in terms of the big picture of the team. I don't think Nyquist makes a significant difference to the overall well being of the team. Just seems ridiculous to me that the guy is still playing AHL hockey, especially after our nice playoff run where he contributed.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Sorry to let my bias get me in a heated debate. You make a fair point in terms of the big picture of the team. I don't think Nyquist makes a significant difference to the overall well being of the team. Just seems ridiculous to me that the guy is still playing AHL hockey, especially after our nice playoff run where he contributed.

Nothing wrong with anything you said. All fair points. I like any time there can be a good debate on this board between fans that doesn't go to the gutter. I agree there have been some bad signings that are hurting the team now.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
MLive article on Cleary's struggles.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/11/offensively_challenged_red_win_1.html

Asked if he is frustrated by his start, Cleary said, “I don’t know. I just have to play better.’’

He called it the “ebbs and flows of hockey.’’

Since when is being complete garbage for two years, "the ebbs and flows of hockey?"

Sometimes you get the puck on your stick when the nets empty and sometimes you don't. Sometimes you poke a puck in that's sitting in the crease and sometimes you don't. Sometimes a puck deflects off your shin, skate, torso etc and sometimes it doesn't

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
I don't know what you expect him to say.

Yeah, haven't heard too many active players admit that the game has passed them by or they can't really be productive anymore in the NHL.

It would be kinda ballsy for Cleary to come out and say "thank God this isn't the NFL or my ass would be on the street and contract terminated tomorrow... guaranteed contracts are the way to go!"

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
all this Cleary stuff is kinda scaring me

picture this:all sorts of stuff in the media about Cleary's lack of production and how the Wings need him to score more,Babcock calling his production "not enough" etc

he sits out for a game or two as a message

Babcock brings him back,he goes back into the top six

having recently sat out for a game or two as a message and heard all the talk about his scoring what does he do? takes more risks offensively

naturally it would be an understatement to say that this hypothetical would end badly

TouringReg

Sep 27, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I don't agree. Cleary doesn't belong in the roles he plays but he's still a serviceable bottom sixer. Samuelsson isn't even that anymore.

I agree that Cleary could have had some use on the 3rd or 4th line, but it seems like Babcock can't help but give him 2nd line and 2nd PP minutes. I know both PP units have been brutal as of late but I don't know what Cleary has done to deserve this playing time. My biggest frustration was seeing him on the PP.

Anyways, it's nice they're finally sitting him. The Wings were dangerous in the playoffs last year when they had that 3rd line of Andersson/Nyquist/Brunner skating teams 3rd D pairs into the ground. I feel like we need more speed and more skill to play the puck possession game, Cleary brings neither and hopefully Gus is up full-time sooner than later.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
if holland was smart (and illitch okay'd it) he would just waive quincey, eaves, cleary, and lashoff. those 4 are either bringing nothing to the team or actively hurting the team. keep ouellet up for good, bring up gus and end this charade.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Cleary confirms he is healthy scratch tonight. Tootoo and Eaves also scratched. Samuelsson is in.

Per Khan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad