Line Combos: Cleary out for Tuesday?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Least surprising comment ever. We all know Mike Babcock is 98% responsible for Dan Cleary being brought back. Ken Holland was just bullied into doing it.

Also that "we have too many right wingers" -quote from Babcock tried to tell whom should we get rid of (Sammy, Tootoo, Eaves).

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Do you think HSJ actually started arguing with him that she is a bigger fan and the whole thing took place with vehement third person descriptions of why they deserve the title?:laugh:

"Hey, I'm the one that made up the contract offer from the Flyers. I helped con Ken Holland in offering a guaranteed deal and not just a PTO!!!!"

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Ok, I thought that HSJ tweet was a joke, part of the meme on this forum. I'm slightly upset, though not awfully surprised, that it's real.

tunasnacks*

I have been rejoicing ever since I heard he donned the gray sweater. I hope he stays in that color... it matches his eyes.
You're a sad excuse for a professional when a Mini-Mite or Squirt level kid can stand on his skates longer than you.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Least surprising comment ever. We all know Mike Babcock is 98% responsible for Dan Cleary being brought back. Ken Holland was just bullied into doing it.

That makes Ken Holland an incompetent GM. How can you let your coach bully you into a terrible signing? If Holland truly thought Cleary was bad for the team, no amount of arm-twisting should have convinced him.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
That makes Ken Holland an incompetent GM. How can you let your coach bully you into a terrible signing? If Holland truly thought Cleary was bad for the team, no amount of arm-twisting should have convinced him.

I don't think every GM/coach is fully for or fully against each signing. It's clear Babcock wanted him back badly. He was fully for it. But I think Holland was somewhere in between. Not fully for it, but not against it enough to say no to Babcock. Holland may have been on the fence, and Babcock just provided the tipping point.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I wonder if Dan Cleary is aware of HSJ's adoration or if it is an unrequited love?

Given the amount of quotes he gave her during the lockout and at all points in the season over the years, I would think he would know. Heard from a buddy even the Wings press box makes jokes about this. So isn't like we are alone in noticing it, her peers in the media find it mystifying.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I don't think every GM/coach is fully for or fully against each signing. It's clear Babcock wanted him back badly. He was fully for it. But I think Holland was somewhere in between. Not fully for it, but not against it enough to say no to Babcock. Holland may have been on the fence, and Babcock just provided the tipping point.

That and as much as the majority hated the signing, it wasn't a terrible signing as much as people want to say. 1 year deal for under 2m for a guy who scored 10 points in the playoffs. It's such an EASY spin and easily justifiable. Terrible signings are reserved for the Wade Reddens, Scott Gomez, Ville Leino. Cleary is more of an annoyance than anything else.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
That and as much as the majority hated the signing, it wasn't a terrible signing as much as people want to say. 1 year deal for under 2m for a guy who scored 10 points in the playoffs. It's such an EASY spin and easily justifiable. Terrible signings are reserved for the Wade Reddens, Scott Gomez, Ville Leino. Cleary is more of an annoyance than anything else.

The rebuttal you'll be facing, "Cleary symbolizes everything that's wrong with the Wings." Followed promptly by, "Nyquist."

There you go, folks. I did your work for you. Everybody take five.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007

The term makes it short lasting, but it was still a terrible signing, especially considering Detroit's situation: already too many forwards, young talent ready for the big club, coach that is now admittedly Dan Cleary's biggest fan.

The writing had been on the wall that Cleary should have been gone. He practically was gone until Holland crumbled under pressure. It was soft and he should be criticized for it. At the end of the day Detroit still isn't dressing their best possible lineup due to the signing and that makes it terrible, especially for a team that made the playoffs on the last day of the season the year prior.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007

The Cleary signing, in a vacuum, is fine; $1.75M for a 3rd/4th line tweener who provides experience, leadership, and culture continuity. I think it's a pretty decent signing, in those terms. But with context applied, it was a poor signing. 1) We have too many 3rd and 4th line forwards already, and not enough puck possession, and 2)Nyquist should be up, partly because he's ready, but more because he addresses the puck possession need on this team (a need Cleary doesn't provide).

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
The Cleary signing, in a vacuum, is fine; $1.75M for a 3rd/4th line tweener who provides experience, leadership, and culture continuity. I think it's a pretty decent signing, in those terms. But with context applied, it was a poor signing. 1) We have too many 3rd and 4th line forwards already, and not enough puck possession, and 2)Nyquist should be up, partly because he's ready, but more because he addresses the puck possession need on this team (a need Cleary doesn't provide).

also Babcock can't be trusted with him and will keep trying to give him top 6 and powerplay time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad