Management Claude Julien II Mod Note post 754

Status
Not open for further replies.

JumboJoe19

Hank027
Aug 4, 2007
Toronto
How is Sweeney a bottom 5 GM? He hasn't been in the role long enough to warrant that kind of rating.

In any kind of fair world, the book should still be out on him and his rating should be an incomplete.

what has he done good ?

he drafted 3 players in a row in the first round 2 years ago, none of which have had any impact in pro hockey.

Traded lucic and hamilton ... and martin jones

signed kevan miller and mcquaid to terrible contracts

just off the top of my head

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Sorry, but I disagree that every player on the roster needs to be a disciplined 3 zone player. Other teams are able to incorporate a mix of guys, yet here it's all about 3 zones. Maybe that's part of the problem, no? After 2 and a half years of languishing in no mans land, maybe it's time to change things up a bit, no?

Your argument for trying to change things up stands on it's own. I don't think you need to set up a strawman about needing players to be disciplined in all 3 zones. Julien clearly doesn't hold every player accountable to the same high standard or guys like Spooner, Pastrnak, even Krug, would never see the ice. Yes he wants them to be adequate defensively, but "disciplined" is even too harsh a word, as fair a requirement as that might be of a NHL players. This coach like all others is willing to accept some trade off in offense/defense. You might not like where that balance falls and that's fair, but don't act like there isn't a trade off. There absolutely is.

And as for whether they ought to change things up...I think maybe I agree with you. But I have little confidence changing the coach matters one way or the other. This roster is flawed, and weak in key areas. The GM is going to actually have to do some work to fix this, and losing small trades and signing bad UFA's isn't going to cut it anymore.

Spanky185

Dec 1, 2014
Between BOS and NYC
If a new GM were to come in, especially if he's from another organization, Claude is likely gone anyway. Hiring Chias protégé is the only thing that saved him in 15, unless JJ explicitly told Don he couldn't get a new coach.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
If he's to be fired within the season, it certainly doesn't need to be done soon. I think this season is beyond salvageable. The only benefit of getting a new coach in right away is to get a few games with the Bruins under his belt this season before making a genuine try next season...and that only works if you've got a guy in ind that you're sticking with for more than year. I think Cassidy would be the most likely in-house Interim Coach candidate, but I'm not convinced he's the long term solution yet. Giving Cassidy a few extra games this year doesn't do much, so you may as well keep Claude.

Heck, keep him as long as possible to screw up other teams. Would the Isles jump at him? Maybe. Would the Habs? The fanbase loathes Therrien, and Claude's a Francophone, but not while they're on top of the standings. No reason to wrap Claude up with a bow and hand him to another team now.

I'm a little surprised there's been no announcement yet, but that makes me think he's going to hang around for a bit....but I've been wrong before...
Management wants the team to make the playoffs and having this situation over their head along with the team's lackadaisical play will make this season beyond salvageable which is something management wants to avoid. If nothing changes, I think there's a good chance the Bruins go 0-4 in their remaining games against Chicago, Pittsburgh, and Detroit before the All-Star break. Sure Cassidy will only be getting a few more games, but there may be a tiny glimmer of hope Cassidy gets acclimated behind the bench in those 4 games, and the team starts turning around rather than being the same lackadaisical team waiting for the inevitable to happen.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
what has he done good ?

he drafted 3 players in a row in the first round 2 years ago, none of which have had any impact in pro hockey.

He's restocked the prospect cubbards which had been basically bled dry. I don't think the Lucic and Hamilton trades were "bad" trades. If a rebuild is truly on the horizon, get used to seeing those kinds of names walk out the door with little to no NHL-level help coming back in return.

He deserves a fair shake, IMO, and I don't think he'll get one until we see what the team HE builds comes together as.

This is a Julien thread, so I'll leave it at that, but to say he is a bottom 5 GM is completely unfair in my opinion.

The Special K

Hoss MOFO, Hoss.
Sep 26, 2008
Canal Winchester, OH
what has he done good ?

I have no poblem with the looch deal...at all. I still can't understamd how people insist on blaming Sweeney for DH27 being traded. How much more info do you need before it sinks in....he was never going to play for Boston again, he wanted out of Boston, Sweeney had no choice but to trade him or have PC offer him a contract and we lose him for nothing. As for the draft picks...jeez...chill the eff out. Give the prospects time to develop. Man the impatience.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Sorry, but I disagree that every player on the roster needs to be a disciplined 3 zone player. Other teams are able to incorporate a mix of guys, yet here it's all about 3 zones. Maybe that's part of the problem, no? After 2 and a half years of languishing in no mans land, maybe it's time to change things up a bit, no?

The truth is you don't have to be a three-zone player to play for Claude. He's fine with one-zone player, if that zone is the D-zone.

He's even alright with zero-zone players, so long as they never try to generate offense.

I'm not kidding. He's played guys that were contributing nothing far too long far too many times.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
The truth is you don't have to be a three-zone player to play for Claude. He's fine with one-zone player, if that zone is the D-zone.

He's even alright with zero-zone players, so long as they never try to generate offense.

I'm not kidding. He's played guys that were contributing nothing far too long far too many times.

This is so true.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I believe it was you who came up with the term zero-zone player last year in reference to the original zero-zone player, Joonas Kemppainen.

I just wanted to say thank you for coming up with that term. Zero-zone player. Says all you need in about 3 words for far too many guys on this roster. If you haven't trademarked that by now, you should.

JumboJoe19

Hank027
Aug 4, 2007
Toronto
He's restocked the prospect cubbards which had been basically bled dry. I don't think the Lucic and Hamilton trades were "bad" trades. If a rebuild is truly on the horizon, get used to seeing those kinds of names walk out the door with little to no NHL-level help coming back in return.

He deserves a fair shake, IMO, and I don't think he'll get one until we see what the team HE builds comes together as.

This is a Julien thread, so I'll leave it at that, but to say he is a bottom 5 GM is completely unfair in my opinion.

those trades and draft picks can be debated for hours but like you said this is a julien thread. I know this team does need a shake up i would just hate to see an elite level coach like clode leave and have a new less experienced coach come in and not have success. I just feel like the problem with this team is deeper than just firing the coach.

Then again Pittsburgh fired bylsma and brought in mike sullivan and look what happened to them last season so who knows, just gotta let it play out i suppose...

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I believe it was you who came up with the term zero-zone player last year in reference to the original zero-zone player, Joonas Kemppainen.

I just wanted to say thank you for coming up with that term. Zero-zone player. Says all you need in about 3 words for far too many guys on this roster. If you haven't trademarked that by now, you should.

Good call. I'll be selling them outside the Garden at the next home game.

Nash on the back? Hayes?

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
How do we know anything's hanging over the team's head?

We, as fans are in the dark, but do we know that management hasn't addressed the team about this?
If we are hearing things about Claude, then I'm sure the players have as well. The Bruins reacted to Charlie Jacobs' statements about Claude that were made earlier in the day in their first shift against Detroit that resulted in a goal. I don't think the Bruins' play in the 1st period last night and rumblings about Claude getting fired are a coincidence, but I could be wrong.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
those trades and draft picks can be debated for hours but like you said this is a julien thread. I know this team does need a shake up i would just hate to see an elite level coach like clode leave and have a new less experienced coach come in and not have success. I just feel like the problem with this team is deeper than just firing the coach.

Then again Pittsburgh fired bylsma and brought in mike sullivan and look what happened to them last season so who knows, just gotta let it play out i suppose...

The problem is way deeper than firing the coach, but it's the easiest thing to do that will have the biggest impact. It's panic time, and the right people with the right experience to handle the panic are not in charge here.

I've seen the comparison to Pittsburgh a few times. Only thing similar is that they would be firing their long time, popular coach mid-season. Expecting or hoping for the same result is an exercise in futility. The rosters, and levels of talent, are just too different.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
What I'm going to say here is probably the kiss of death for Claude much like a GM saying the coach's job is safe.
The media thrives on sensationalism and speculation. They want to feed the feeding frenzy with whatever fuel they can find. Too often news is no longer reporting facts but has basically become the reporting of gossip and agenda of personal interests.
The Bruins management is under no obligation to respond to media speculation. They have a responsibility to do what's best for the team and the consumer who purchases their product.
Granted the on ice product has woefully underperformed.
As far as I am concerned Claude is coach until the team says otherwise regardless of what speculation the media wants to feed the public.
I'm not saying he should or shouldn't remain as coach. I'll state my view later. Meanwhile I'll wait and see how things play out.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
That is incredibly frustrating.

We all know that it's hard to make a trade. It's relatively simple to hire a PR group to make you appear like you have a small ****ing iota of a clue what you're doing with the fans. Even if you don't.

I agree. Remember that ad campaign they had a few years ago, the one that won the ad agency an award? That was a smart and funny series of ads. So what do the Bruins do? Not renew the ad agency's contract..... :facepalm:

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
The problem is way deeper than firing the coach, but it's the easiest thing to do that will have the biggest impact. It's panic time, and the right people with the right experience to handle the panic are not in charge here.

I've seen the comparison to Pittsburgh a few times. Only thing similar is that they would be firing their long time, popular coach mid-season. Expecting or hoping for the same result is an exercise in futility. The rosters, and levels of talent, are just too different.

Exactly. Can't wait til they fire Clode and this team goes straight from the frying pan to the fire, if for no other reasons than to shut the mouths of the pseudo intelligencia here and to get the B's braintrust (such that it is) to rebuild this club from the bottom up.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Exactly. Can't wait til they fire Clode and this team goes straight from the frying pan to the fire, if for no other reasons than to shut the mouths of the pseudo intelligencia here and to get the B's braintrust (such that it is) to rebuild this club from the bottom up.

I'm sorry but "B's" and "braintrust" simply do not go together. At all.
:rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
How is Sweeney a bottom 5 GM? He hasn't been in the role long enough to warrant that kind of rating.

In any kind of fair world, the book should still be out on him and his rating should be an incomplete.

Well, you didn't dispute the part about the top-5 coach.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008

:laugh: Oh the irony. Holy ****.

I would love for Claude to get fired and the Bruins to start winning again to shut up all of the people on their high horses.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Well, you didn't dispute the part about the top-5 coach.

No, I take no issue with that. He is an excellent coach.

Because one is top-5, even though it reads more cleverly, doesn't make the other bottom-5.

ETA: I don't know if cleverly is a word. It's been a long day. You get the point.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
No, I take no issue with that. He is an excellent coach.

Because one is top-5, even though it reads more cleverly, doesn't make the other bottom-5.

Well the thread is about the coach; and most likely if you have a top-5 coach in the League then whatever problems there are lie somewhere else. And unless you can replace that top-5 coach with another top-5 coach, you're likely to make the situation worse by getting rid of him.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Well the thread is about the coach; and most likely if you have a top-5 coach in the League then whatever problems there are lie somewhere else. And unless you can replace that top-5 coach with another top-5 coach, you're likely to make the situation worse by getting rid of him.

...and I very clearly said, more than once, the coach wasn't the problem. That firing him is the easiest course of action with the largest impact.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
...and I very clearly said, more than once, the coach wasn't the problem. That firing him is the easiest course of action with the largest impact.

Sorry if you've also made this clear earlier, but are you advocating that impact?

I mean, an asteroid can make a large impact as well, but not necessarily an impact that one would want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad