Management Claude Julien II Mod Note post 754

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elmer

Dec 18, 2014
Boston
But such a program is not about now, it’s about the future – about where the organization is two, three, even four years down the road. To be obsessed with making the playoffs this season is silly and counterproductive, which is why team owner Jeremy Jacobs’ remarks earlier this season – his expectation that the B’s would not only qualify for the playoffs, but make a deep run -- was so frivolous, misguided and harmful.

Silly me, shelling out $3,200 a year for season tickets and wanting them to be in the playoffs is misguided. I shouldn't be so selfish. I need to put down $12,800 and maybe in 4 years they will get a sniff of the post season. Thanks Stephen Harris!

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
The idea that Harry Sinden could still have any say to what goes on with the team just scares the crap out of me. That old goat should just go on one of his fishing trips down south and stay there.

We have talked about getting rid of Julien, Sacco, Sweeney and Neely, maybe what we really need is new ownership, get out from under the Jacobs family regime and have an owner(s) that actually care about winning and not just $$$.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Harris: Claude Julien isn’t Bruins’ problem; talent level is
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...e_julien_isn_t_bruins_problem_talent_level_is

This is a team that, for understandable salary cap reasons, entered into a rebuilding phase years ago. Key, veteran players were allowed to leave, replaced by high draft choices and prospects. The scouting staff and management appear to have done a good job with their draft picks, adding a long list of kids who should represent the next generation of players wearing the ‘B’.

But such a program is not about now, it’s about the future – about where the organization is two, three, even four years down the road. To be obsessed with making the playoffs this season is silly and counterproductive, which is why team owner Jeremy Jacobs’ remarks earlier this season – his expectation that the B’s would not only qualify for the playoffs, but make a deep run -- was so frivolous, misguided and harmful.

That aided the process not one bit. The whole point of a rebuild is to stay patient and wait – even it means taking a step back now to take two steps forward later.

Also misguided and harmful – downright nuts is more like it – is the prospect that coach Claude Julien could be fired, which seems to be the red-hot rumor du jour. When will outside observers grasp the point that Julien is not the problem with this team – he and his assistants are the primary reason, year after year (including the 2011 Stanley Cup season), that the B’s are as good as they are.

He's absolutely correct. Claude has done more with less than any Bruin coach I have seen. His numbers bear that out when you look at the roster of his teams and consider he has done it in the salary cap era and an era of great parity. That run at the Cup in 2013 was pure mastery. The Bs had no business getting that far, and could have very well won the Cup had management given him what he needed on the blueline to make up for what was lost. The 2011 Cup season was obviously a great coaching job. And I would argue this season he has done a great job. I think some people don't watch enough non-Bruins games to realize just how inadequate the roster truly is. The top-paring D-line is a very young rookie and an aging vet. Below that you have Krug and a bunch of essentially third-pairing/7th d-man level guys. CJ was given an abysmal backup goalie situation that has produced next to no wins. Then you look at the disaster that is the bottom two lines that management gave Claude. I don't know how the heck the Bs are even in the playoff picture at all. Bad contracts, not properly replacing lost pieces, and an utter failure to make substantive moves when needed is what CJ has had to deal with for several years running now.

I don't think it's any accident that players, coaches, and other hockey-related folks around the hockey community have enormous respect and admiration for Claude. He is one of the bright spots in this organization. Firing him and making him the scapegoat is masking the much bigger issues and will not make the team any better. I still believe, as I have for a few years now, that Neely needs to be shown the door if any head is to roll. Bring in a president who has a better executive mind and let him work with Sweeney in trying to head this ship in a better direction. If everything remains the same except for getting rid of Claude then as a fan I will be pissed as hell because that will mean an even more extended period of mediocrity. Maybe worse. The Bs are not the only team in the conference drafting talent. There are a good number of teams sitting better than Bs right now when it comes to the future. That is not CJ's fault. Management/ownership are the ones who need to get their act together.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
No way is cam coming down to coach

Its either that or both CJ and Cam get canned by the end of the season

Can you imagine cam as a coach??

Door slams. In your face. That stare ... Scary

Players will respond . Just not sure in a positive or negative way

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
well, sounds like I better get a hold of one of those 2011 Stanley Cup DVDs because it sounds like it's the last Bruins title I can expect in a while.

Even if I approve of Sweeney's work so far (I do), it sounds like the management above him is a mess and determined to squander the deep prospect pool they've cultivated.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I agree with all this, but my question was how do we know that management hasn't spoken to the team?, which is what I thought your first post implied.
Oh I have no idea. I apologize, I should have been more clearer in my post :laugh:.
If this is true, can the lot of 'em.

Sounds like a fight about Pokemon cards.
If it is true, it sounds like Papa Jacobs wants to keep Claude and is giving Neely the ultimatum, "if you fire Claude then you're on the hot seat and coaching. If this team doesn't make it to the playoffs with you as the coach, then you're fired."

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
The idea that Harry Sinden could still have any say to what goes on with the team just scares the crap out of me. That old goat should just go on one of his fishing trips down south and stay there.

We have talked about getting rid of Julien, Sacco, Sweeney and Neely, maybe what we really need is new ownership, get out from under the Jacobs family regime and have an owner(s) that actually care about winning and not just $$$.

That makes two of us. You know the intensity of my loathing for the Habs. Well I have the same level of intensity when it comes to fear of this man's influence on the owner and management of this team. :rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

Last edited:

Hamilton Brian

Apr 12, 2004
Hamilton, ON
Oh I have no idea. I apologize, I should have been more clearer in my post :laugh:.

If it is true, it sounds like Papa Jacobs wants to keep Claude

Keep him in the sense of, "I like and want this guy to stay on," or, "Can him when his contract is up so we're not paying Dave Lewis money again."

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Keep him in the sense of, "I like and want this guy to stay on," or, "Can him when his contract is up so we're not paying Dave Lewis money again."
I think it's the former rather than the latter. I think a few members of the media in Boston have even alluded to it, JJ liking Claude.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Most NHL coaches only hear it face-to-face from the GM.
Any Bruins coach hears it face-to-face or in the media from the GM, the president, the CEO and AG, the principal owner and NHLG... and maybe even the senior advisor to the owner and AG.

but hey, it's all the coaches fault.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
Most NHL coaches only hear it face-to-face from the GM.
Any Bruins coach hears it face-to-face or in the media from the GM, the president, the CEO and AG, the principal owner and NHLG... and maybe even the senior advisor to the owner and AG.

but hey, it's all the coaches fault.

Literally nobody said that

fighterfoo

Time for a change.
Nov 29, 2005
Manchester, NH
Ottawa and Toronto have much less talent than Boston, and after Boston's games-in-hand are evened out, Ottawa and Toronto will be well ahead of Boston in the standings. The Bruins have no shot at making the playoffs for the third straight season.

Julien needs to go. Not just Julien, Krejci also. It's great that Krejci is a beast in the playoffs, but when you have a player that takes the entire regular season off making $7.25M (cap hit) and can't make the playoffs, you can get so much more by freeing up that money.

If Cam and Donny can't make these two simple moves by the beginning of the 2017-18 season, it's time to start looking at ousting them as well.

Last edited:

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
Ottawa and Toronto have much less talent than Boston, and after Boston's games-in-hand are evened out, Ottawa and Toronto will be well ahead of Boston in the standings. The Bruins have no shot at making the playoffs for the third straight season.

Julien needs to go. Not just Julien, Krejci also. It's great that Krejci is a beast in the playoffs, but when you have a player that takes the entire regular season off making $7.25M (cap hit) and can't make the playoffs, you can get so much more by freeing up that money.

If Cam and Donny can't make these two simple moves by the beginning of the 2017-18 season, it's time to start looking at ousting them as well.

Not simple when a guy has an NMC but Sweeney should start the conversation with Krejci to see if he'd waive.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010

Agree that it would be good to find a way to move Krejci. Disagree that Toronto has much less talent than Boston. Toronto is top 10 in the league in save pct. Boston is 20th. There have been a lot of points wasted in games in which Boston's backup goalies have played. Sure, Rask has been awesome most of the season, but Toronto clearly has a better goalie tandem than the Bs. Toronto is 5th in the league in goals for per game. Boston is 22nd. Funny thing is Boston is 2nd in the league in shots per game and Toronto is 3rd. Talent converts shots into goals, which clearly Toronto is doing. Boston's players have failed to convert on very good looks all season long. Toronto's players put the puck in the back of the net when they get good looks. That's a talent factor.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

I have to believe there are very few people left that think the Jacobs' care more about money than winning. Understand that Mr. Jacobs is a billionaire. How much money do you think is involved with his hockey team? And even if he did care more about the money, you really think he does understand that winning makes more money?

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
Or at least ask for a list of teams. If no list, maybe a night or two on level 9?

You're not serious, are you? That's not how you run a team. You don't threaten or bully one of your alternate captains. If you want to bench him, bench him. But don't threaten him.

It's one thing to be mediocre. It's another to be an embarrassment.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I have to believe there are very few people left that think the Jacobs' care more about money than winning. Understand that Mr. Jacobs is a billionaire. How much money do you think is involved with his hockey team? And even if he did care more about the money, you really think he does understand that winning makes more money?

Empty seats do not buy hot dogs and beer.

But Jacobs is unwilling to lose money to win as was the case with Mike Ilitch in Detroit and the Dolan family in NY. Jerry Reinsdorf operates his teams the same way.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Empty seats do not buy hot dogs and beer.

But Jacobs is unwilling to lose money to win as was the case with Mike Ilitch in Detroit and the Dolan family in NY. Jerry Reinsdorf operates his teams the same way.

And losing makes those seats empty.

I don't understand "unwilling to lose money to win". Usually people that become billionaires are very willing to lose money short term to win big long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad