Claude Giroux: Part "Fire, Air, Water, Earth"

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Remember back when people were freaking out over him only having one goal, even though it was obviously just awful luck?

Since he broke the dry spell he has...

8 goals in 15 games (most on the team)
6 of them are at 5v5 (most on the team)

3.13 shooting % was obviously not going to last. And, as expected, it eventually regressed to the mean and he's now sitting at a reasonably sustainable 12.16%

He's currently pacing for 23 goals in an 82 game season, which is great, considering what a shitshow the PP is and the fact that he's currently scoring at the 2nd lowest rate of PP goals in his entire career.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Remember back when people were freaking out over him only having one goal, even though it was obviously just awful luck?

Since he broke the dry spell he has...

8 goals in 15 games (most on the team)
6 of them are at 5v5 (most on the team)

3.13 shooting % was obviously not going to last. And, as expected, it eventually regressed to the mean and he's now sitting at a reasonably sustainable 12.16%

He's currently pacing for 23 goals in an 82 game season, which is great, considering what a shitshow the PP is and the fact that he's currently scoring at the 2nd lowest rate of PP goals in his entire career.

When we trade the bum will you stop being a fan

Reactions: Striiker

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I think AV reducing his minutes has added a year or two to his career.
21:27 to 18:59 to 17:40.

It comes down to whether you want a top flight player in a reduced role or run him into the ice.

I do think that they should use him more on the PP still. Those minutes are not too physically taxing... but the Flyers are basically one of the only teams in NHL who roll units so evenly.

He has less PP TOI than Hayes and JvR and 30 seconds more than Patrick... which is a bit silly.

And he still leads the team in PPP despite the reduction in ice time there and being screwed around so much with units.

But can for sure see why reduce 5v5 minutes with this schedule especially.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I vote for Alexander Appleyard as next head coach of the Flyers and I do mean it.

I would at least guarantee you all very, very, entertaining interviews before I was fired in short order. :laugh:

Chris Pronger meets Salvador Dali would be my chosen way with the press. Haha. Might even throw an Anteater at them if anyone asked about combined +/-.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I would at least guarantee you all very, very, entertaining interviews before I was fired in short order. :laugh:

Chris Pronger meets Salvador Dali would be my chosen way with the press. Haha. Might even throw an Anteater at them if anyone asked about combined +/-.

You'd be worth it for the entertainment value.

Reactions: Appleyard

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

How many players have had the age 30-33 seasons he has had? I guess the list is quite short.

0.90 5v5 G/60 (52nd in NHL)
2.33 5v5 P/60 (18th in NHL)

56.05% GF (47th in NHL)
52.61% CF (77th in NHL)
52.79% ExGF (84th in NHL)

+0.61 GF Rel (13th in NHL)
+6.24 CF Rel (18th in NHL)
+0.24 ExGF Rel (33rd in NHL)

there is a legit argument to be made that at 5v5 this is the best four year stretch of his career... when consider overall impact.

2010-14 for comparison:

0.78 5v5 G/60 (89th in NHL)
2.32 5v5 P/60 (12th in NHL)

55.33% GF (55th in NHL)
52.75% CF (65th in NHL)
52.6% ExGF (72nd in NHL)

+0.24 GF Rel (80th in NHL)
+4.07 CF Rel (54th in NHL)
+0.12 ExGF Rel (87th in NHL)

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

He's not getting anywhere near as many assists as he deserves either. 6th on the team in 5v5 assists per 60 right now.

Not hard to see why either. Patrick's struggles are well known and I love Jake but the guy isn't much of a goal scorer. 4 and 5 goals on the year for them, respectively. The staff isn't taking advantage of Giroux's strengths.

Flyrs21

Dec 17, 2006
The Flyers have 5 wins all season where Giroux didn't score a point. 3 of those wins came against Buffalo.

#Girouxneedstofightmore

Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's good he's back with Couts at LW. That's where he should stay, playing 14 minutes at ES and 3 on the PP.
In that role he probably has 3 top 6 seasons left, just have to avoid the temptation to overwork him.
You could see him wear down at center, especially on defense, LW reduces his work load.

Which is why Frost emerging next year would be huge for this team.
Laczynski's injury raises questions about the 4th line, which makes the Laughton extension that much more valuable.
You need enough center depth that the temptation to move Giroux there is eliminated.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I did not see him wearing down at center. You've embraced a non existent fiction to defend bad coaching.

I certainly did, and the metrics supported what I saw.
Giroux is undersized, has average speed these days, and playing center for an extended period exposes those limitations.
At LW he has fewer defensive responsibilities, less ground to cover skating, and doesn't draw the best player defending him on the wing.
And Couts is the perfect partner at center. Plug in the RW of your choice.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I certainly did, and the metrics supported what I saw.
Giroux is undersized, has average speed these days, and playing center for an extended period exposes those limitations.
At LW he has fewer defensive responsibilities, less ground to cover skating, and doesn't draw the best player defending him on the wing.
And Couts is the perfect partner at center. Plug in the RW of your choice.

Guy was going strong to end games. Is that what "wearing down" is? Still being good and playing at a high level?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Puck luck evens out, he scored above expectations for two years, below expectations for two years.
So what looks like a dramatic decline turns out to be a slow decrease in production.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad