Claude Giroux: Part "Fire, Air, Water, Earth"

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Giroux once got Raffl to pot 20 goals...

I'm not sure how much development can actually happen but the Flyers certainly aren't good at getting players to hit their maximum potential.

Couturier hitting his #1 C potential was really a fault of just Hakstol throwing shit on a wall to see what stuck.

The Flyers for what resources they have available to them really floundered.

Right. Noone is turning Zac Rinaldo into a two way, 1st line power forward. That'd be unreasonable. There are limits to any organization can do, as well as player limitations, obviously.

What isn't unreasonable is to expect a competent organization to take what was largely considered the "best prospect not in the nhl" as a center and make him more than a 45 point winger. That should have been doable.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If this team could've developed Schenn into the competent 2C he became (almost immediately) in St Louis, I'm confident theyd could've been a more serious contender. Unfortunately, the Flyers are about as good at developing young players as I am at growing money trees.

Well, they could have gotten him the same wingers he had in St Louis?
I don't think Schenn is a much better player in St Louis, his numbers are actually similar to Hayes at the same age.
He's just playing with better players. And better players than Hayes here.

Farabee has more upside than Schenn, turns out the Frost pick is the "throw in."

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'd say it's probably Voracek or Couturier, yeah.

To that end though, thats probably sufficient for his line. More tragically, think back over the last 10 years and pick out the best 2C the has had in that time. Hayes? Filpulla?

Girouxs immediate linemates haven't been bad. But they've basically been a one line team for the last 10 years. You can't win like that.

Probably Schenn during his brief stints at C here

Reactions: Starat327

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

I'm remembering a discussion Charlie had with you or Striiker -- easy to mix you two up -- about how Giroux has declined on the PP with age. But somehow him not declining at 5v5 was just shoulder shrugged away. Players do not decline on the PP while sustaining at 5v5; it simply is not logical and just evidences something else very wrong.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm remembering a discussion Charlie had with you or Striiker -- easy to mix you two up -- about how Giroux has declined on the PP with age. But somehow him not declining at 5v5 was just shoulder shrugged away. Players do not decline on the PP while sustaining at 5v5; it simply is not logical and just evidences something else very wrong.
Here ya go. There was also an Appleyard part, which was separate, but he explains his nonsense reasoning here.

9ac597a1725f0fc2c64bfa281153fc3e.png

431b4fd2691b9cd1293299dc9531a788.png

8a90ef1beb2536c52c921578d8f2b6a7.png

0eb327caa0f1830944ddca939c056bb9.png

291b0436282ecc791ad3fac5bb66908f.png

e8bc7218ac5789561bb5fa1a2424c7bb.png

ea92cedfb0931300442b6f917cf49091.png

30c08857810a23e908f6173f3daff2bc.png

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
Couturier hitting his #1 C potential was really a fault of just Hakstol throwing shit on a wall to see what stuck.

There's actually a Couts interview I posted a few weeks ago where he came out and said he only moved up the lineup because he demanded the chance for more offensive opportunity. It wasn't even Hakstol flinging crap as much as it was the player needing to steer them to where he could succeed instead of them figuring it out their own damn selves.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
To think, we had the opportunity to get Lavy back as coach too. But like everything else, we f***ed that up.

He puts a lot of miles on his wingers, given how aggressively Fletcher has aged the team that's probably not a good combination.

As is I don't know that he's a good match for the Caps roster for the same reason.

Reactions: SnS

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
He puts a lot of miles on his wingers, given how aggressively Fletcher has aged the team that's probably not a good combination.

As is I don't know that he's a good match for the Caps roster for the same reason.

What are you talking about? Ratcliffe had an average 14 game sample last year, so hes obviously ready to take over top 6 minutes from Voracek.

Then, next year, we'll have Brink, Wisdom, and Foerester along with a rejuvenated TK and Lindblom to fill out 4 spots in the top 6. These kids are locks to be immediate impacts to the roster. Theyre also basically guaranteed to make the roster in those positions, too. You know, similar to how Frost was...

Reactions: Striiker

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
What are you talking about? Ratcliffe had an average 14 game sample last year, so hes obviously ready to take over top 6 minutes from Voracek.

Then, next year, we'll have Brink, Wisdom, and Foerester along with a rejuvenated TK and Lindblom to fill out 4 spots in the top 6. These kids are locks to be immediate impacts to the roster. Theyre also basically guaranteed to make the roster in those positions, too. You know, similar to how Frost was...
They just have to earn it. And by “earn it” we of course mean outplay vets on the team, get sent down to the AHL anyways, wait for multiple injuries, and then get buried with awful teammates and scrap icetime in the NHL.

Reactions: pit

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
They just have to earn it. And by “earn it” we of course mean outplay vets on the team, get sent down to the AHL anyways, wait for multiple injuries, and then get buried with awful teammates and scrap icetime in the NHL.

Sir, you have your timelines confused. At the tail end of this season, when all is lost, all the prospects are locks to make the roster and be impactful players oiu t of the gate. It isnt until TC that the tune changes, and THEN they have to beat out Vets.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
What a career wasted by the Flyers.

He played with some good players but man this organization continued to falter where they could.

Not re-signing Jagr, trading Scott Hartnell, signing the players of the ilk in C. Stewart/Weise/Thompson, signing MacDonald, signing Vincent LeCavalier, signing Bryzgalov (who they managed to escape from), not trading Simmonds before all his value depleted, trading JVR for Luke Schenn, Dave Hakstol, I'll just leave out all the dumb 4th liner signings, trading Ghost for negative value, signing Ristolanien.

Did this organization do one thing truly right? Brayden Schenn for essentially Farabee and honestly given Giroux/Voracek/Couturier's age that's probably a mistake. Schenn would have been the #2 center and this organization wouldn't have blown all their money on Kevin Hayes. So remove Kevin Hayes, remove Yandle, and put in a player who has a body made out of lead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad