Claude Giroux: Part "Fire, Air, Water, Earth"

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Exactly what Ive been saying the last few years. The lack of points is due to shit luck (from his perspective).

He’s succeeding when it comes to what he can control and scoring goals, but after he passes the puck it’s literally out of his hands. He clearly deserves more, based on the quality of his passing and the chances he creates, but the pucks just aren’t going in.

On top of that, both his goals and assists are being held back by the PP being a disaster since Hakstol got fired. We haven’t had one single stretch where the unit wasn’t f***ed up in one way or another and you can see that clearly reflected in his PP points per 60. Lowest of his entire career this year and it’s not due to his own playing ability.

Plus, this year he’s also proven that he can be equally as good, if not better, without Couturier and at both C and wing.

Reactions: Appleyard

Flyrs21

Dec 17, 2006
I believe when Giroux plays center he focuses to much on the defensive part of playing center because of the lack of quality defense and goaltending, which takes away from his offensive game.

There's plenty of times when he's playing "3rd line" center he's retreating out of the offensive zone because the wingers forecheck is non existent and part of the system plays into that. Then they come back in the third period because the team is on the attack during the period

PK16

Jul 28, 2013
It was meant to be a joke since the Andy & Rono Giroux analysis did not have a category addressing his leadership which seems to be an issue for some on this board. Not a great joke on my part. The point remains that some on this board make an effort to blame Giroux (and his leadership specifically) for the team underperforming when he has been the most consistent contributor and bright spot on this team.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
It was meant to be a joke since the Andy & Rono Giroux analysis did not have a category addressing his leadership which seems to be an issue for some on this board. Not a great joke on my part. The point remains that some on this board make an effort to blame Giroux (and his leadership specifically) for the team underperforming when he has been the most consistent contributor and bright spot on this team.
Got you. Appreciate your post and agree with your assessment.

Reactions: PK16

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

And still no damn assists. :laugh:

6ff7fd9c4299a6ea8cb4e465196ec5f7.png

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
G - Couts - TK the last few weeks have been our best line all season.

Couts seems to be finally healthy, G is more sheltered at LW and can focus on being a playmaker, and TK provides speed and energy for the "old men."

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
And still no damn assists. :laugh:

6ff7fd9c4299a6ea8cb4e465196ec5f7.png
Over the past 30 games, at all strengths...

12 goals (32 goal per 82 game pace // 1.33 assists/60)
11 assists (30 assist per 82 game pace // 1.22 assists/60)

That's crazy low. For reference, Voracek has 21 assists during that same time period.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Over the past 30 games, at all strengths...

12 goals (32 goal per 82 game pace // 1.33 assists/60)
11 assists (30 assist per 82 game pace // 1.22 assists/60)

That's crazy low. For reference, Voracek has 21 assists during that same time period.

That's one hell of a middle 6 er.

2nd line talent Scott Laughton must be tearing it up if Giroux is playing second fiddle to him, no?

Reactions: Striiker

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
I still hope he leaves next season/summer so he can get a shot at a Cup because he won't get that opportunity here

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Can Giroux catch Bobby Clarke as Flyers All-Time Leader in some major categories? Assuming he re-signs for three more seasons after next season... it would be difficult, but possible. He would have to stay basically major injury free... and average over the four seasons basically what he did in the 2018-19 season; 82 GP, 22 G, 63 A, 85 Pts... his best shot is in passing Clarke in Games Played, which is very possible if he plays FOUR more season.

GAMES PLAYED
Clarke 1,144
Giroux 943
Diff 201
Avg Req 50.25

GOALS
Clarke 358
Giroux 273
Diff 85
Avg Req 21.25

ASSISTS
Clarke 852
Giroux 585
Diff 267
Avg Req 66.75

Giroux 858
Diff 352
Avg Req 88

If he plays every game, and at that pace, he would only pass him in GP and tie him for 4th in Flyers Goals... but he would end up only a hair short... This is much closer than I had ever thought he could possibly come. That said... there is still a great way to go for him to even sniff Clarke's accomplishments.

FWIW

Last edited:
Reactions: Appleyard

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
... Please note that none of the above Stats are adjusted. Adjusted Stats I believe would favor Giroux on the quest... but of course would only be valid on an argumentative basis; all players are subject to them... but the facts are the facts, as stated... presently.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
To be clear... on the Stats for Required Average, it is for four more seasons (2921-22 plus 3-year extension) my original post erroneously mentioned five more years... that has since been edited.

BTW, This possible projection is more optimistic in target seasons, but less so on extended contract years than any others I have read in the media.

Since there has been no response to the original post, I'm not sure I should take it as nobody agrees/disagrees... or merely nobody even cares at this point. I'm surprised.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
He'll never get his just dues here without tangible playoff success. Two long runs as Captain (or 1 Cup) would go a long way.

Sad, but might be the case. Stats and even consistent good play are often overlooked when success eludes the team during his tenure... Propp, while not a captain, but an alternate doesn't get his due, whereas alternate captain Barber is in HHOF and gets much more credit in Philly. While Barber has better stats, Propp's are somewhat comparable, and two cups could make a huge difference with Flyers fans... both had long tenure full of consistently good seasons, on both side of the puck.

In the end, no hardware means to too many fans that long-term players gain huge stats through longevity... I'm not one of those who believe that; it's very difficult to be so consistently good over so many years... and keep your job in one city.

If Giroux can ever catch Clarke, it would be very hard to deny him his due... even without a Cup and only one Finals appearance... with mediocre teams. Clarke is an all-time NHL great, but he also was on great teams with a great coach.

It is what it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad