Clarke MacArthur Appreciation Thread

Officer Fred

Jan 28, 2010
Vancouver
You ever think why the leafs let him go for nothing? There was no trying up re-sign him phase. The was nothing. We let him walk away. I'll post a thread around Christmas and we'll see how much different all your tunes will be.

They used that cap space and more to sign Clarkson. I'd be willing to bet that MacArthur outscores Clarkson.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ya pretty much 20-25 points at max in 61 games. When McArthur slumps he SLUMPS. It's not 4,5,or 6 game slump. It's a 2, 3 or 4 month slump where you don't see him on the score sheet. Now I will give you that the guy has a lot of heart and character. He was a class act. But no in terms of points, the start to this season is typical McArthur. Maybe that will change this year and he'll continue to produce but I highly doubt it. He's not your answer to your problems in Ottawa.

His longest pointless streak outside of his rookie year was 8 games, not sure what you're talking about. A 4 month slump would be 2/3 of the season.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
The butthurt from Leafs nation is just the cherry on top. My Leafer buddies thought Nonis was mental for signing Clarkson and letting Mac walk. They were so very right.

Buyout 2016 Baby!

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I'm surprised how quickly I became a MacA fan, thought I would appreciate him but I find him amazing. Let's hope he keeps going so he could stay after his contract and become a part of the longer future

His longest pointless streak outside of his rookie year was 8 games, not sure what you're talking about. A 4 month slump would be 2/3 of the season.

That's what I LOVE the most about HF, it's all those people claiming things based on stupid biased opinions.

Well, in life there's a thing called facts and you're one of the best posters to bring them up, I love your work, keep it on

Mishandled? He sat on that 2nd line forever. Even though I hated Ron Wilson. He had to move him down and Nonis moved him eventually out. Or rather just open the door to the street. Maybe, I'll be coming back to eat my own words. But I honestly doubt it. Guy is a good 3rd liner at best.

It's too bad this thread is in a Sens category or Leafs fans will back me up. No he wasn't a terrible guy. No one hated him while he was here. But he did the same start in Toronto and Buffalo as he's doing in Ottawa. Buffalo fans said the same thing when we signed him. No Leaf fan believed it. Until we saw it ourselves.

All I've been trying to say is enjoy him while he lasts because his expiry date is coming due soon. He will not be producing as you guys think he will. He's on pace currently for 60 Pts and I'm predicting he's getting 35 points and maaaaaaaaaaybeee stretch it to 40 max.

You guys were seriously whining for Macarthur lack of production?

62 pts in 82 games on a 1.1 cap hit in 2010-11
43 pts in 73 games (48 pts pace) on a 3.25 cap hit in 2011-12
20 pts in 40 games (41 pts pace) on a 3.25 cap hit in 2012-13

That's an average of 50 pts per season on an average 2.53 cap hit

You guys are delusional if you expected more out of a cheap (in terms of $) player

Thanks for making Sens fans look very down-to-earth lol

You mean the coach that has got us into the playoffs? And the one that currently has us 2 points from 1st in the east and actually in a playoff spot?

I think they were due.... first time in a billion years... They spend a lot of $ every year... No reason they shouldn't be decent once in a while.

Last edited:

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Remember when people were freaking out on Murray after he signed MacArthur right after we lost Alfie? They were already saying that MacArthur sucks, just like how they said after the first 3 games that Ryan would only get 20 goals this season...

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Remember when people were freaking out on Murray after he signed MacArthur right after we lost Alfie? They were already saying that MacArthur sucks, just like how they said after the first 3 games that Ryan would only get 20 goals this season...

A lot of people were very reasonable in that thread and actually predicted he would be very good for us.

It was just the first couple of pages cause of the Alfie effect and who the hell blames em?

Take a look back at that thread, only a couple people were really freaking about the actual signing.

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
I'm REALLY curious to see what happens to Mac once adversity strikes and he's moved to the third line. He never played like his 2010-11 self again after Wilson demoted him. By the end of his tenure in Toronto he was grumpy and just flat out annoying to watch.

With that said, I'm happy for us Leaf fans who wanted to keep him over Bozak for being spot on.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I'm REALLY curious to see what happens to Mac once adversity strikes and he's moved to the third line. He never played like his 2010-11 self again after Wilson demoted him. By the end of his tenure in Toronto he was grumpy and just flat out annoying to watch.

With that said, I'm happy for us Leaf fans who wanted to keep him over Bozak for being spot on.

Lmao, just get the **** out.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
He does look like the grumpy type haha but I don't see why he would be demoted right now he's playing like our #4(arguably #3) forward.

Milan the God*

The butthurt from Leafs nation is just the cherry on top. My Leafer buddies thought Nonis was mental for signing Clarkson and letting Mac walk. They were so very right.

Buyout 2016 Baby!

Yeah, that move baffles me.

Personally, I think MacArthur is a much better player than Clarkson...and that's without contracts coming in. It's not a Leafs vs Sens thing because myself (and quite a few Sens fans) were pretty worried when we heard Murray was interested in Clarkson. When I saw we got Clarke and missed out on Clarkson, I was so happy.

Clarkson seems like a slightly better Chris Neil. A good player to have, don't get me wrong. But not at $5.25/yr for seven freakin' years. Plus Neil can throw them better and is more of a game-changer physically. Clarkson is better offensively, though.

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
He does look like the grumpy type haha but I don't see why he would be demoted right now he's playing like our #4(arguably #3) forward.
This is another underrated grumpy Clarke moment

EDIT: I'm not implying he should or will be demoted, it just seems rather normal for players to go through cycles.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
I had no idea he could be this good. I was expecting a soft player not quite good enough to play top six minutes. He's been a revelation. We need to extend this guy.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012

Funny thing is that his line, along with Turris & Ryan has been the absolute model of consistency on our team. No matter how crappy the game, it was safe to assume that line had a solid effort.

Quite surprising after hearing so many Leaf posters calling him inconsistent & streaky ever since the signing.

Last few games though, including tonight, have been a real surprise. He's definitely turned it up a notch.

costermonger

sans classe
Nov 4, 2007
Kitchener, Ont
I thought he'd quietly be productive enough that at the end of the year, people would realize he really did replace Alfie on the offense.

I didn't expect that I'd love his play this much. I don't know if he's playing with a chip on his shoulder, or if he fits particularly well into the system here, or both.. But damn. Utterly fantastic addition at this point.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
noticing he's stopped the stopping and turning to find a trailing player thing. Seemed like a very Leafs thing to do.

John Holmes*

Well this is a great read:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1462781

I especially liked this post:

That's good, let him fly under the radar and be a pleasant surprise.

The Leafs fans that know their heads from their ***** all speak pretty highly of MacArthur.

Could be the best value signing of the offseason.

And Xspyrit owned you all. Well most of you.

Enjoy your dinner.

eat-crow.jpg

Milan the God*

To be fair, Sens fans were really down Alfie just moved on.

But man, MacArthur has been awesome. I love his speed and drive to the net. Turris is a stud, though. That guy gets chemistry with every single guy he plays with.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Well this is a great read:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1462781

I especially liked this post:

He is real fast and gritty forward. Real great addition.

Not only speed, he finishes a lot of his checks and has a feisty side, all 3 things we lacked in our top 6 are found in both he and Ryan. This will help immensely against teams like Toronto, Boston and Pitts. Should also provide huge help in playoffs.

And next year the cap will go him, so his contract won't even be that big of a deal. Definitely the best value signing of the off-season so far, imo.

I see him really excelling under MacLean. I think he can be a dark horse candidate for our top-line.

Oh wait, this isn't the toot your own horn thread?

People make good and bad predictions all the time, especially under stressful times(Alfie leaving)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad