GWT: CL Matchweek 1

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
One thing I find funny for Chelsea this season is how much better Jorginho has been under Lampard than under Sarri, considering Sarri specifically bought him to be his main guy at Chelsea. He was pretty awful playing Sarri's system here last season, but has been so much better with all the fluid movement Lampard has the team doing.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
One thing I find funny for Chelsea this season is how much better Jorginho has been under Lampard than under Sarri, considering Sarri specifically bought him to be his main guy at Chelsea. He was pretty awful playing Sarri's system here last season, but has been so much better with all the fluid movement Lampard has the team doing.
I'm pretty sure Jorginho has eyes in the back of his head when he's on ball.

That switch off on the cross into the box was shockingly bad.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Lol.

Has nothing to do with him being American. Everything to do with reality. He'll be a player about as good as Willian.

If you say so, it must be true.

Does it ever get old always harping the negative with the best player from your country? If we must always say how bad he is, how bad must every other player be? Why even care if the best American player is such a mediocre player?

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
If you say so, it must be true.

Does it ever get old always harping the negative with the best player from your country? If we must always say how bad he is, how bad must every other player be? Why even care if the best American player is such a mediocre player?

Are you able to read or what? I don't think I ever said he was bad. If you think Willian was bad when he scored 11, 12, and 13 goals, that's up to you. Pulisic has a very long way to go to do that. Willian is quite average now but that's not what I was talking about, Pulisic hasn't come close to delivering that kind of end product, and I'm still uncertain as to whether or not he can.

As for the rest, I barely give a shit about this sorry country. I don't judge players by the flag next to their name though. Nor will I ever, and I don't know why anyone would pull that argument on me. The idea that he should be guaranteed to play is absurd. Against Leicester he was poor, failed to link up with his teammates at all, and he's been judged on that for a little while. I would be happy if it turned out he was as good as someone like Trossard, but I think people have gone way too far in projecting their own personal hopes onto Pulisic when reality does not match what people hope for. He was put on the bench by Lampard for a very good reason, and for me to defend a Chelsea manager is perhaps unprecedented ground here.

You also have to consider that he's competing with Mason Mount for playing time, and Mount has been far better so far this season. It was hypothesized that Pulisic could play through the center at times, but there's obviously no reason to do that now.

I also don't think he's the best player from this country. Definitely not from the past and I don't think so now either. I think Tyler Adams is quite a bit better player and has more potential.

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Regarding the Liverpool penalty, if you don’t want a penalty called against you, don’t put your leg/hips across an attacking player and miss the ball.
This is a terrible take. Especially considering he kicked in front of the player, and pulled back when he didn't get the ball.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

****ing outstanding from the LFC CEO. Wow.

**** those Napoli supporters that did it, though.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Sounds like we should thank Neuer for pissing off Mats.

That Haaland kid... The first two finishes were very good. Kid looks the real deal.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
And yeah Håland looks like a special player. He reminds me of a young Luis Suarez actually. Same kind of hustle, hunger for the ball, goalscoring instinct. Kid seems to have huge potential.

Didn't even read the thread before watching the highlights. Absolutely has goalscoring instinct.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
No offence but I don't think you're qualified to comment on anything outside of your EPL bubble.
Don't you lot have the Euros to not qualify for?

If you want to watch a 5th placed team struggle to win games you can do that every weekend.
That's rich coming from a Liverpool fan that experienced the Brendan Rogers-era.

If Tagliafico played for an epl team there would be people who would argue he’s a top 3 LB
Well, Gaya already is one...

Witsel is great in midfield. Why did he spend so much time in Russia?
He wanted to experience racism, always been a good bloke as far as I am concerned.
Has nothing to do with him being American. Everything to do with reality. He'll be a player about as good as Willian.
That's selling him very short. True he's beyond overrated because he has decent talent and was born in America, but to call him Willian? Nah bruv, he's going to be a bit better than that - he's a lite-version of Hazard.

Give it time, we just got to the 1st division & you're talking CL :laugh:
That's why I keep giving you likes like some dark back alley in a big city. :laugh:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I only saw the penalty incident live and two replays. To me it looks like a penalty - considering how the "modern game" is reffed. You don't need to tackle a player to be impeding him. If the Napoli player avoids contact he isn't getting anything, but he is still impeded.

I am not sure the causality here, but clearly there is a bit of a "negative spiral" going on. Refs will no longer give penalties unless someone falls over. So players act accordingly. And then refs now know that players will fall over to "exaggerate" or "point out" being hindered - if they don't the ref can assume there was nothing there.

Do I believe it is a clear penalty? No. Do I believe it is an obvious mistake by the ref? No. Impossible for everyone to agree on these close calls. I agree with Ferdinand. Robertson makes the mistake here - he forces the ref to take a decision. Really not necessary in that situation.

Reactions: mmvvpp and JBeast

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
It’s never a penalty. Not with VAR. he steps on Robertson’s foot and goes down while looking for contact. It happens. Second goal, the regular keeper cleans it up. Liverpool should’ve been up before than by finishing a chance, but it happens.

It is what it is, just makes the work a bit harder. On the night Liverpool weren’t bad, but need to be more ruthless finishing.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Is Robertson's movement impeding the Napoli player or not? If he is there is at least some argument to be had that there is a foul. Significant enough for a penalty? I can see why many would think not, but that is a close call.

Not sure why it is less of a penalty with VAR. BT Sport's studio I believe every pundit there accepted it could be given as a penalty. Something that suggests it wasn't a clear and obvious mistake by the ref - therefore VAR should not overturn the decision.

Reactions: JBeast

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Is Robertson's movement impeding the Napoli player or not? If he is there is at least some argument to be had that there is a foul. Significant enough for a penalty? I can see why many would think not, but that is a close call.

Not sure why it is less of a penalty with VAR. BT Sport's studio I believe every pundit there accepted it could be given as a penalty. Something that suggests it wasn't a clear and obvious mistake by the ref - therefore VAR should not overturn the decision.

Yea it wasn’t a stonewall penalty or anything, but it also wasn’t a dive.

I think it was a situation where no matter what the ref had decided VAR wasn’t going to be involved.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Prices have inflated over the last few years with all the new money in the sport. Neither team has bought a starting quality forward in at least 3 seasons. Let alone a 20 year old one who was already playing at least fairly regularly for a good team.

Arsenal just paid £72m for Nicolas Pepe, who isn't exactly lighting the world on fire either. You also have mid table clubs like West Ham and others dropping £30-40m for forwards, so that's where the market is going.

Every game I've seen, Pepe has been the most dangerous player on the field. Often seemingly the only one even

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
He’s had some good games/moments but also some in effective ones too. He was barely noticeable past weekend vs Watford.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I'm pretty sure Jorginho has eyes in the back of his head when he's on ball.

That switch off on the cross into the box was shockingly bad.
He was horrendous defensively last year, so not surprised he still makes some terrible defensive plays like yesterday. Still, his overall play is vastly improved, even defensively he is doing much better with tackles and interceptions.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Every game I've seen, Pepe has been the most dangerous player on the field. Often seemingly the only one even
He was invisible against Watford. He wasn't that noticeable in one of their other games either, but I don't recall which one at the moment.

That's besides the point though, I was really just saying how prices have inflated a ton. A player like Pepe would have cost half as much 3 years ago, for example.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad