GWT: CL Matchweek 1

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Pochettino Logic: Eriksen can {%~|%{> as much as he wants he will never be substituted.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
People need to look at how easily Dortmund let him go compared to Dembele, Reus, Lewandowski, Hummels, Sancho, Gotze, Auba, etc. Says a lot about his talent level even though people don't want to believe that.

I wanted to also comment on this.

The club wanted to re-sign him. He wanted to leave. They granted his wish because the club knows that the only way we are going to get the best young players to sign with us is that route. Its a smart way of approaching these occurrences for the overall personnel strategy of the club.

Sancho is going to leave at the end of the season, and it’s going to be the same thing. The Dembele and Aubameyang situations were different. The club was willing to accommodate either player with a move, but not under crazy terms. Pulisic understood that, and didn’t force a move during the winter window. I suspect Sancho will understand as well. Aubameyang and Dembele both acted out. No club is going to react well to that.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Just need to start using Paco as a joker while you start Sancho, Brandt, Reus & Hazard as a free-floating front 4.

Hazard is not good enough to start. Very good winger option off the bench. We are still missing from the lineup our best player from last season and he sits on the bench every game. The coach brings on this Larsen kid who never adds much. All because Goetze refused a pay cut. If I ever hear someone complain about how Goetze shafted the club by leaving, I’ll cite how they are now shafting him by refusing to play him due to this contract dispute.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Iwobi is better than Pulisic IMO. But he's also 2 years older.

He'll never be worth 60mil and only got that high of a transfer fee because he's American.

This isn’t even a hot-take, it’s a bad take. Take a look at their career end product numbers and then tell me you still have the same opinion. Pulisic has been a productive player over the course of his career, Iwobi isn’t.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I forgot to give my take on the match from yesterday.

While I’m frustrated with getting a nil-nil from that game, we played very well. Hummers was brilliant, Hakimi was brilliant, Sancho was brilliant, Witsel was brilliant. We are firing on most cylinders. If we can get Reus back on form, we can win a title or two this season. Significantly outplaying Barcelona is a good statement of intent. The xG has us winning the game by 3 goals. That doesn’t happen often against Barcelona.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
2-2 is a decent enough result, but Spurs back to their useless self again.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Frustrating game for Brugge. Dominated most of the match, had plenty of chances to win it, but just could not get that goal. Shame.

Galatasaray have plenty of "big" names with top 5 league experience, they look good on paper but man there's just no chemistry at all. Think they had 1 good chance (Babel) in 90 minutes.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Incredible finish by Bale, but by the new rules it can't count.

It hit Bale's arm before his leg and the new rules have zero tolerance.

Edit: Yep. VAR reverses it.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Not down about yesterday.

Liverpool always do this the hard way, and having the San Paolo trip out of the way after match day #1 only works to our benefit. That was absolutely our most difficult group stage match.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
PSG up 2-0 on RM without Neymar, Cavani or Mbappe. Yikes.

Gueye is low key real good.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Atalanta and Leverkusen showing these big leagues need an extra two spots in the CL :sarcasm:

In a non joking way only the EPL and La Liga have four quality sides in the competition, the likes of Atalanta, Leverkusen and in the past Schalke, Gladbach, Hoffenheim don’t bring much to the table

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad