GWT: CL Matchweek 1

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The Pulisic worship is absolutely insane.

He's a good young player with solid potential, but he's far from an elite player right now and really don't have any hope of becoming a world class player.

People need to look at how easily Dortmund let him go compared to Dembele, Reus, Lewandowski, Hummels, Sancho, Gotze, Auba, etc. Says a lot about his talent level even though people don't want to believe that.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Meh...I think it's over, but it sucks to lose to an undeserved goal like that one.

EDIT: That was before the Llorente goal.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Lost this one last year, too. Well, now I'm more hopeful that the reverse fixture will be electric when I'm there : )

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I like how some Americans try to always distort when Pulisic struggles to get more credit with the anti-US crowd. Pulisic shouldn’t have started. He’s been average his last few games and therefore has found himself on the bench for a few games. Don’t make more of it than that. But no, he’s just an overrated American. Not any good obviously.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Guys if you don't think Pulisic is elite you are delusional.

Lol.

I like how some Americans try to always distort when Pulisic struggles to get more credit with the anti-US crowd. Pulisic shouldn’t have started. He’s been average his last few games and therefore has found himself on the bench for a few games. Don’t make more of it than that. But no, he’s just an overrated American. Not any good obviously.

Has nothing to do with him being American. Everything to do with reality. He'll be a player about as good as Willian.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
There's a difference between "Pulisic isn't good" and "Pulisic is an elite young player"

He's a good young talent and has a lot of potential, but he's not an elite player and it doesn't look like he has the ability to really develop into a true top tier guy. Sure his transfer value was inflated by commercial concerns, but he's still a 20 year old who would probably be worth 40-45m euro if he was a random French dude or something, and that's not nothing.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
This loss isn't the end of the world, but it still sucks. Firmino, Mane and Salah were all pretty off today and that made the difference. I wouldn't say Napoli outplayed Liverpool, but I hope Liverpool play better moving forward.

Also I'm not sure Pulisic will be as good as Willian was at his peak. Willian was pretty damned good once upon a time.

Jan 3, 2012
People need to look at how easily Dortmund let him go compared to Dembele, Reus, Lewandowski, Hummels, Sancho, Gotze, Auba, etc. Says a lot about his talent level even though people don't want to believe that.

I agree with this. He looked to have plateaued last season with BVB. Creates the occasional great chance but then can be average for a while. So glad we kept Sancho not him.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
This loss isn't the end of the world, but it still sucks. Firmino, Mane and Salah were all pretty off today and that made the difference. I wouldn't say Napoli outplayed Liverpool, but I hope Liverpool play better moving forward.

I thought we played really well, but we got screwed on the penalty and that took all the steam out of our game. But, at least again, you expect not to win away in the hardest CL group game.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I thought we played really well, but we got screwed on the penalty and that took all the steam out of our game. But, at least again, you expect not to win away in the hardest CL group game.
For the most part played well, and yeah that absolutely terrible peno took the wind out of our sails. That said the end product was pretty atrocious and while a win wasn't expected they shouldn't have dropped points there on the run of play. Still can't believe that penalty was called (or not overturned) but what can you do.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Lampard should staple Barkley to the bench for that. Jorginho is the penalty taker.
I feel like when there's an argument about who takes the penalty, a miss soon follows

and Pulisic is not "elite," jeez.
he's not even the best 20 year old on Chelsea...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad