GWT: CL Matchweek 1

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
For the most part played well, and yeah that absolutely terrible peno took the wind out of our sails. That said the end product was pretty atrocious and while a win wasn't expected they shouldn't have dropped points there on the run of play. Still can't believe that penalty was called (or not overturned) but what can you do.

It seems like the VAR users both in Europe and the PL are way to reluctant on overturning penalties. United have had 3 extremely ridiculous and unfair penalties through dives already in 5 games.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
When you get to 80th minute in a tie game when you’re playing relatively well (or at least even), you definitely expect a tie at worst at that point, and that’s what is disappointing about today. But it’s just one game, and Liverpool will be fine. Might give them a little extra boost to kick some extra ass this weekend :naughty:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Also Napoli are a very good team and have a very good coach. They'll be a tough game for anyone.

I expect Liverpool probably wins the rest of their group stage matches now after the early wake up call. It’s probably just what the Dr ordered for the defending Champs.

Nice upset win for Napoli. They battled hard.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
It's actually impressive how wrong you are with every single post.

It takes dedication to be this wrong about everything.

How is that wrong? The penalty against Wolves, the penalty against Palace and the one against Leicester last time out were all wrongfully given.

And why on earth all you calling me wrong? There is not an objective way to judge what a dive is.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
RB was fun for good & bad reasons. I get that those young CBs need an adult, but Orban is just so clearly substandard at the higher levels. Gotta give it to demme, he was one of their best performers alongside Haidara, Mukiele, Poulsen & Werner. Makes me wonder if Nagelsmann couldn't pull a Vogt & turn Demme into that grown up for the backline if they shifted to a back 3...

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
Clear and obvious error or whatever they call the standard of review is too high a bar. Because of this, it doesn't look like VAR will eradicate diving.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
I expect Liverpool probably wins the rest of their group stage matches now after the early wake up call. It’s probably just what the Dr ordered for the defending Champs.

Nice upset win for Napoli. They battled hard.

Is it really an upset. Liverpool lost in Naples last year as well.

Reactions: JBeast

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Genk got raped by Salzburg, I really can't think of a nicer way to put it. That was a clinic in how to play vertical football. Genk and Salzburg are actually quite similar in their football philosophy, also both teams lost a bunch of their best players during the summer window and both teams are pretty young but Salzburg right now are miles ahead of Genk on the field.

And yeah Håland looks like a special player. He reminds me of a young Luis Suarez actually. Same kind of hustle, hunger for the ball, goalscoring instinct. Kid seems to have huge potential.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Genk got raped by Salzburg, I really can't think of a nicer way to put it. That was a clinic in how to play vertical football. Genk and Salzburg are actually quite similar in their football philosophy, also both teams lost a bunch of their best players during the summer window and both teams are pretty young but Salzburg right now are miles ahead of Genk on the field.

And yeah Håland looks like a special player. He reminds me of a young Luis Suarez actually. Same kind of hustle, hunger for the ball, goalscoring instinct. Kid seems to have huge potential.

What sorcery is this Salzburg start to the season? Is Jesse Marsch an offensive wizard? For old-timers, Håland's style reminds me of Preben Elkjaer,he's a tank. With the young talent Norway has, maybe they could thrill the world in the same way the Danish Dynamite did in the 1980's.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
If you asked me which game in this congestion I’d want to lose, I’d probably have picked this tbh.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Pretty disappointing result for Chelsea. 60/40 possession for Chelsea, dominated shot attempts, had more shots on goal, but lost 1-0.

Ross Barkley is the worst player to hit the field for Chelsea this season, and somehow he takes a penalty? Embarrassing.

As for the Pulisic discussion, he's 20 years old. We all know the US media has way overhyped him, but he's still better than all but the very elite 20 year old players. As long as he keep developing, he's going to be a good player and has all the promise to be an elite player. I doubt he will ever be world class, but he's no Mbappe and no one reasonably thought that he was.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Iwobi is better than Pulisic IMO. But he's also 2 years older.

He'll never be worth 60mil and only got that high of a transfer fee because he's American.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Iwobi is better than Pulisic IMO. But he's also 2 years older.

He'll never be worth 60mil and only got that high of a transfer fee because he's American.
With the way prices are going, I wouldn't say he will never be worth 60mil. That's pretty much the price for a quality starting player who's under contract these days.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

Also because Dortmund makes sure teams pay a lot. But they didn't fight it. Says it all. He is talented but has struggled to break out and score against good teams. I gotta be honest, I never saw him play a great game in the Champions League at any point. He also never nailed himself into the starting eleven, and the season he started the most they struggled very much.

You can also look at the international goals he scored and it's the exact same thing. Goals against Bolivia, St. Vincent, Honduras, Venezuela, Trinidad and Tobago, Panama, Chile, and Jamaica. Only one of those is against a particularly good team.

People shouldn't complain about him not playing the way some American fans are. If he's good in training he'll play. If he's not he's not good enough.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
With the way prices are going, I wouldn't say he will never be worth 60mil. That's pretty much the price for a quality starting player who's under contract these days.
60m is more than any transfer fee paid for a forward on Spurs or Liverpool.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
60m is more than any transfer fee paid for a forward on Spurs or Liverpool.
Prices have inflated over the last few years with all the new money in the sport. Neither team has bought a starting quality forward in at least 3 seasons. Let alone a 20 year old one who was already playing at least fairly regularly for a good team.

Arsenal just paid £72m for Nicolas Pepe, who isn't exactly lighting the world on fire either. You also have mid table clubs like West Ham and others dropping £30-40m for forwards, so that's where the market is going.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->