CIS Recruiting 2013-14

SnipeShow91

Aug 9, 2010
I know the recruiting season isn't over, but would love all the OUAers' thoughts on who the winners/losers of the 2013 offseason are - aside from McGill, who have made a *slight* upgrade </sarcasm>.

Brock- Didn't have to upgrade much, but brought in great players so far. (Upgrade)

Carleton- Added some NCAA and CHL experience to an already stacked lineup (Upgrade)

Concordia- Falling behind (Downgrade)

Guelph- Added top notch Tier 2 and a former WHL goalie. (Upgrade)

Lakehead- Only one guy who played 3rd line minutes for the Frontenacs (Downgrade)

Laurentian- Had to recruit a whole team (Upgrade)

Laurier- Great mix of CHL and CJHL players (Upgrade)

McGill- Bringing in 3 ex-pros and a defenseman with better Q stats than MA Doirion (Upgrade)

Nipissing- If they announce Junior Harris from the Kingston Voyageurs, then upgrade. Right now, they
are still the same as they were (Same)

Ottawa- Brought in similar players to the ones they already have (Same)

Queen's- Coach Gibson over recruits, but brings in guys with AUS, CHL and high CJHL scorers (upgrade)

RMC- Graduates 5 walk ons with ZERO junior hockey experience, to bring in 3 ex-captains of CJHL teams, and adds to their CHL grad count with 7 now. (Upgrade)

Ryerson- Finally figure out their goaltending situation, and bring in guys with size and skill. Hopefully they have discipline as well since Ryerson was a gongshow in the 2nd half of the season. (Upgrade)

Toronto- Replaces the forwards they already lost (Same)

UOIT- Changing conferences to compete with RMC and Concordia for playoff spots, brings in a dynamte backup goalie for O'Hagen and adds lots of CHL grads (Upgrade)

UQTR- Replaces their great players with more great players (Upgrade)

Waterloo- Winning championships is the best way to recruit and Waterloo got more talented (Upgrade)

Windsor- After a great season, their recruiting class dosen't capitalize on that momentum (Downgrade)

Western- Only 2 guys announced so far, but adding CHL players is always nice (Same)

York- Wasn't losing much, adding pieces they needed to replace (Same)

MRED

Jun 21, 2012
Brock- Didn't have to upgrade much, but brought in great players so far. (Upgrade)

Carleton- Added some NCAA and CHL experience to an already stacked lineup (Upgrade)

Concordia- Falling behind (Downgrade)

Guelph- Added top notch Tier 2 and a former WHL goalie. (Upgrade)

Lakehead- Only one guy who played 3rd line minutes for the Frontenacs (Downgrade)

Laurentian- Had to recruit a whole team (Upgrade)

Laurier- Great mix of CHL and CJHL players (Upgrade)

McGill- Bringing in 3 ex-pros and a defenseman with better Q stats than MA Doirion (Upgrade)

Nipissing- If they announce Junior Harris from the Kingston Voyageurs, then upgrade. Right now, they
are still the same as they were (Same)

Ottawa- Brought in similar players to the ones they already have (Same)

Queen's- Coach Gibson over recruits, but brings in guys with AUS, CHL and high CJHL scorers (upgrade)

RMC- Graduates 5 walk ons with ZERO junior hockey experience, to bring in 3 ex-captains of CJHL teams, and adds to their CHL grad count with 7 now. (Upgrade)

Ryerson- Finally figure out their goaltending situation, and bring in guys with size and skill. Hopefully they have discipline as well since Ryerson was a gongshow in the 2nd half of the season. (Upgrade)

Toronto- Replaces the forwards they already lost (Same)

UOIT- Changing conferences to compete with RMC and Concordia for playoff spots, brings in a dynamte backup goalie for O'Hagen and adds lots of CHL grads (Upgrade)

UQTR- Replaces their great players with more great players (Upgrade)

Waterloo- Winning championships is the best way to recruit and Waterloo got more talented (Upgrade)

Windsor- After a great season, their recruiting class dosen't capitalize on that momentum (Downgrade)

Western- Only 2 guys announced so far, but adding CHL players is always nice (Same)

York- Wasn't losing much, adding pieces they needed to replace (Same)
Who is the d man McGill is bringing in who has better stats than MA Dorion?
Thanks for your review of the respective teams.

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
Who is the d man McGill is bringing in who has better stats than MA Dorion?
Thanks for your review of the respective teams.
Samuel Carrier

Talking about McGill, I've been told that Dany Massé won't report to the Redmen. Will either go LNAH or retire from hockey.

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto
I know the recruiting season isn't over, but would love all the OUAers' thoughts on who the winners/losers of the 2013 offseason are - aside from McGill, who have made a *slight* upgrade </sarcasm>.

Also add:

G - Greg Dodds (North Bay - NOJHL) to Western
F - Luke Karaim (St. Catharines - GOJHL) to Western

From what I know, Western has these 2 along with (posted earlier on this thread) Noah Schwartz (GOJHL) and Colin MacDonald (OHL). So far an atypical recruiting group for Western who is typically almost exclusively CHL.

I suppose there are two parts in regards to your question - the pure offseason in terms of recruiting, and the prediction of how teams will end up (which factors in players leaving due to academic/personal reasons or via graduation). For the second, a team like Lakehead, even with a strong recruiting class, would likely get a "lower grade" compared to last year's team due to the sheer volume and talent they are losing in the offseason.

However, I would take your question only in regards to the recruiting classes (incoming players) and how they look to complement their new teams compared to other teams within the league.

However, with only Laurier, Ryerson and Windsor announcing their full class in the OUA West, it is tough. Based on what I have seen to this point, Waterloo has the strongest incoming group in the OUA West.

1. Waterloo
2. Laurier/Ryerson (Not sure on this one, Ryerson stronger on D and in G, Laurier stronger up front)
3. Laurier/Ryerson
4. Windsor

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Thanks, all. Love to see the intelligent debate. I think the OUA west, as a whole, keeps getting better every year - from top-to-bottom, I'd argue that it's the most parity-rich division in the CIS. Will be especially interesting this year with another OUA bronze-medal team making nationals.

Fan of the Vreds

Mar 27, 2008
Fredericton
Here is an updated list as of today. Clicking on each players name will bring up their stats courtesy of eliteprospects.com

AUS

UPEI
Forwards - Cody McNaughton, Robin Soudek
Defense – Brock Beukeboom, Derek Ryckman, Casey Babineau
Goalie

Acadia
Forwards – Scott Trask, Taylor Makin
Defense - Geoffrey Schemitsch, Chris Buonomo, Tyler Ferry
Goalie

UNB
Forwards – Dylan Willick, Mike Thomas, Cam Maclise, Philippe Halley
Defense – Jordan Murray, Keevin Cutting, Matt Petgrave
Goalie – Charles Lavigne, Joel Vienneau

SMU
Forwards – Mitchell Maynard
Defense – Cameron Wind, Steve Gillard, Alex Cord
Goalie

ST.FX
Forwards - Robert Slaney, Blake Gal
Defense – Nathan Chiarlitti
Goalie

Moncton
Forwards – Allain Saulnier, Alex Saulnier, Danny Chiasson , Steve Lebel
Defense – Pierre Durepos
Goalie

Dalhousie
Forwards - Fabian Walsh, Andrew Rieder
Defense - Luke Madill, Wes Herrett, Tyler Hart
Goalie

STU
Forwards - Brendan Childerley, Kody Orr, Derek Froats, Jason Trott
Defense - Jordan Moore, Sawyer Hannay
Goalie - Alex St. Arnaud

CW
Saskatchewan
Forwards - Sean Aschim, John Lawrence
Defense – Kendall McFaull, Josh Roach
Goalie

Alberta
Forwards
Defense
Goalie – Luke Siemens

Manitoba
Forwards - Jordan DePape, Aaron Lewadniuk, Taylor Dickin
Defense - Luke Paulsen
Goalie

Mount Royal
Forwards - Tyler Fiddler, Justin Kirsch
Defense - Zach Evans Renaud, Emerson Hrynyk, Brett Zarazun
Goalie

UBC
Forwards – Anthony Bardaro, Greg Fraser, Geordie Wudrick, Luke Lockart, Nick Buonassisi
Defense – Wes Vannieuwenhuizen, Brandon Underwood
Goalie - Matthew Hewitt

Calgary
Forwards – Chance Lund, Danny Gayle, Chris Collins, Tyler Moir, Brett Printz, Adam Kambeitz
Defense – Drydn Dow, Daniel Gibb, Davis Vandane
Goalie

Regina
Forwards – Cody Fowlie, Christian Magnus, Miguel Pereira
Defense - Brody Luhning
Goalie

Lethbridge
Forwards - Michael Forsyth, Daniel Fainman, Guillaume Naud
Defense - Ryan Aasman
Goalie

OUA
Ryerson
Forwards - Domenic Alberga, Josh Domingues, Lucas Froese, Matthew Andreacchi, Robbie DeFulviis,
Defense – Peter Hermenegildo, Tyler McCarthy, Kevin Woodyatt
Goalie - Adam Courchaine

York
Forwards – Jordan Merante, Gregg Sutch
Defense - Shayne Rover, Branden Morris
Goalie

Toronto
Forwards - Dean Klomp, Connor Cleverley, Casey Knight
Defense
Goalie

Carleton
Forwards - Mike McNamee, Mitch Zion, Damian Cross
Defense - Jason Seed, Jake Cardwell
Goalie

Laurier
Forwards – Tanner Olstad, Derek Shoenmakers, Greg Trichilo, Spencer MacCormick, Greg Lamoureux, Martin Kudla, Kyle Morrison, Luke Hietkamp, Brendan Woods
Defense - Mackenzie Braid
Goal - Shayne Campbell, Vinny Merante

UOIT
Forwards - Emerson Clark, Mitch Bennett, Brett Varrin
Defense – Jason Shaw, Dylan King, Jeff Braithwaite
Goalie - Colin Dzijacky

McGill
Forwards – Cedric McNicoll, Jan Kaminsky, Alexandre Comtois, Carl Gelinas
Defense - Samuel Carrier
Goalie - Karl St.Laurent

Waterloo
Forwards – Chris Chappell, Anthony Tapper, Luke Lynes
Defense – Ryan Hanes, Stephen Silas
Goalie – Mike Morrison

Nipissing
Forwards - Jacob Conrad
Defense – Zack Shannon, Brendan Mitchell
Goalie

UQTR
Forwards – Tommy Giroux, Cedric Henley, Jeremie Malouin, Olivier D'Aoust
Defense - Danick Malouin
Goalie

Queens
Forwards – Jordan Coccimiglio, Mike Schug, Blair Wentworth, Harry Hendrix, Ben Walsh
Defense – Patrick Downe, Chris Van Laren, Kris Grant
Goalie – Kevin Bailie, Chris Clarke

Guelph
Forwards – Carlos Amestoy
Defense
Goalie - Keith Hamilton

Concordia
Forwards - Francis Beauregard, Kieran O'Neil, Erlend Berg Johnsen
Defense - Jeremy Barriault, Josh Herrington
Goalie – Paul Bourbeau

Ottawa
Forwards – Mathieu Guertin
Defense – Gabriel Vermette, Paul Landry
Goalie - Warren Shymko

Western
Forwards - Noah Schwartz, Luke Karaim
Defense – Colin MacDonald
Goalie - Gregory Dodds

Brock
Forwards – Daniel Zweep, Jeff MacPherson
Defense - Dana Tenenbaum
Goalie

Windsor
Forwards – Mac McDonnell, Sammy Banga, Richard Cameron, Mike Christou
Defense – Saverio Posa, Julian Luciani
Goalie

RMC
Forwards - Mathieu Lavallee, Luc Ramey, Jake Bullen, Eric Liknes
Defense - Mitchell Hewson
Goalie

Laurentian
Forwards - Nick Esposto, Jordan Carroll, Sebastien Leroux, Brandon Howes, Dylan Fitze, Cory McEwen, Brian Nanne, Marc-Alain Begin
Defense - Nicolas Thommen, Andreas Norrby, Matt Eddy
Goalie - Alain Valiquette, Charlie Millen

Lakehead
Forwards - Cody Alcock, Kelin Ainsworth
Defense - Andrew Tessier
Goalie

Last edited:

Freddy Beach

Jun 14, 2013
Any word on recruits for STU? Other message boards are indicating that they have a forward and goalie coming in from Junior A (MHL) but nothing official.

SnipeShow91

Aug 9, 2010
D- Jordan Moore (Weeks) heading to St. Thomas
F- Guillaume Naud (Dauphin, used to play for Belleville and Wellington) to Lethbridge

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Waterloo has announced the recruitment of F Luke Lynes (UNB - CIS/Brampton - OHL). Lynes won 3 Uni Cups with UNB and was a former 4th rd pick of the Washington Capitals (2006). He'lll be enrolled in the Masters of Management Sciences program at UWaterloo and join the Warriors this fall. FULL STORY: http://www.varsity.uwaterloo.ca/news/2013/7/30/MHOCKEY_0730131830.aspx

Interesting.

The AUS has him playing one game in December last season (on the road vs Acadia) which consumes his 5th year of eligibility. I asked the AUS office if this was correct (as he hadn't played up until that point and it look like he was going to be out for the season). They (AUS office) said he was on the sheet.

SnipeShow91

Aug 9, 2010
Interesting.

The AUS has him playing one game in December last season (on the road vs Acadia) which consumes his 5th year of eligibility. I asked the AUS office if this was correct (as he hadn't played up until that point and it look like he was going to be out for the season). They (AUS office) said he was on the sheet.

If Brandon Biggers was allowed to go from UPEI to Nipissing without sitting a year, then somehow Lynes can go from UNB to Waterloo

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
But if Lynes played last year (which he did according to the AUS, personally I never remember him playing), that would have been his 5th year. Unless he fought to gain an extra year because of all of his injuries (ie/ concussions).

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
From what I remember, Lynes only played part of one exhibition game last season, in the pre-season. His concussion-related symptoms returned and that was that. He might have been on a roster sheet during the year, but if it is like other post-concussion players he might have gone through the warm-up and not been good enough to go. Or maybe just a mistake on the sheet (sometimes the off-ice officials accidentally put players on the computerized "game sheet" and it not always caught, or a coach can simply write down a player's name and forget to scratch it off).

Be that as is may, it would have been pretty easy for Lynes to appeal to the CIS to get the year of eligibility back since he didn't play. I've seen guys in the AUS play 3, 4 or 5 games before a season-ending injury and still get the season back in eligibility terms.

My concern would be whether Lynes will healthy enough to play for Waterloo. I hope he is. But the Warriors are taking a risk, since post-concussion symptoms often return. Of course, they're not tying a capped roster spot by giving him a shot! :)

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I agree. If he only played one Exhibition game it would not be difficult to regain his year of eligibility. Hopefully, he can play (health-wise).

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
From what I understand, it was a scoresheet mistake (either by the coaching staff, or on the Web version of the scoresheet). Waterloo was in contact with UNB specifically regarding eligibility before Lynes committed, so I don't foresee any issues. If healthy, he should definitely be able to contribute offensively for the Warriors.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Provided he is fully healthy and gets top-6 minutes I think he can definitely put up some points for the Warriors, especially on the PP. The problem at UNB was that there were too many guys ahead of him on the depth chart to get top-6 minutes, and he isn't the strongest defensively so they had better options for the 3rd and 4th lines as well. They just didn't have a spot for him. Obviously the injuries didn't help things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad