CIS Recruiting 2013-14

Ched

Fueled by Passion
Jun 21, 2010
It is very early but with the recent retirement of Jordan DePape from the WHL and an article by Gregg Drinnan speculation is that DePape will recover from his second shoulder surgery in two years and end up playing for his home town University of Manitoba in 2013-14.

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto
Not intended to take away attention from the CIS playoffs (semi finals pretty much just started for OUA, AUS and CW) and the teams at the University Cup are far from settled, but some players are already committed.

Ryerson:
D - Tyler McCarthy - Georgetown (OJHL), also played 1 full season with Erie (OHL)

D - Brandon Scott - Trenton (OJHL), also played 15 games over 2 seasons with Sudbury (OHL)

McGill:
F - Jan Kaminsky - Wellington (OJHL), also played part of 2 season with Belleville (OHL)

Laurier:
F - Greg Trichilo - Trenton (OJHL), also played 1 full season with Sudbury (OHL), He has good size at 6-1 200, can play center or wing, and is reportedly a good skater which could help on Laurier's Olympic surface

F - Spencer MacCormack - Whitby (OJHL), Waterloo native who will likely play a depth role on next year's edition of the Golden Hawks

Queen's:
G - Kevin Bailie - Summerside (MHL), spent the past 4 and a half seasons with Oshawa and London (OHL). Likely one of the better goaltenders available from the OHL this year, he had a .921 save percentage with London prior to the Knights signing Anthony Stolarz.

Last edited:

Cishockeyguy

Feb 23, 2013
Ryerson:

Robbie Defulviis F - Woodstock Slammers
Peter Hermenglido D - Saginaw Spirit

York :
Shayne Rover D - Niagara Ice Dogs
Greg Sutch F - Saginaw Spirit

clear the track

Jun 1, 2008
Eligibility

I have a question concerning eligibility. A player born in 1989 (23) looking to play CIS in the 2013 14 season. Last year of Maj Jr was 09/10. Played in the ECHL and a few games in the AHL for the 2010 11 season and 2011 12 season. This year was on the roster for 3 games in the ECHL. Is listed as no longer on active roster. So, two years of pro under his belt. Not sure what third season represents. Would he be eligible for play next year in the CIS 2013 14?

Goalies name is Adam Courchaine. Was on game sheet for 5 games, started three for the 2012 13 season

He was released by Greenville Oct 25, 2012 with a 2-1 record

Last edited:

toxic rd

Nov 17, 2006
canucks.com
While not committed it is highly unlikely that Derek Schoenmakers plays anywhere else but Laurier next season. His sweater still hangs in the locker room and he only left the team because Kitchener finally decided they wanted him and he gets to play for the Rangers in his final season. He will be a big addition to the Hawks 1a/1b line with Mitch Lebar and Tyler Stothers likely since Hawke/Lopes/Cerilli is pretty set as their other top line.

In addition, word is Ben Fanelli is taking courses at Laurier. If he wants to continue it would make logical sense he joins the Hawks next year. He would be a great addition and would blunt the loss of team captain Kyle vanDeBospoort. The Hawks #2 pairing of Holden/Provost is set but they definitely need a new top pair

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
I have a question concerning eligibility. A player born in 1989 (23) looking to play CIS in the 2013 14 season. Last year of Maj Jr was 09/10. Played in the ECHL and a few games in the AHL for the 2010 11 season and 2011 12 season. This year was on the roster for 3 games in the ECHL. Is listed as no longer on active roster. So, two years of pro under his belt. Not sure what third season represents. Would he be eligible for play next year in the CIS 2013 14?

Goalies name is Adam Courchaine. Was on game sheet for 5 games, started three for the 2012 13 season

Born Feb. 20, 1989

09/10 Major Junior - ends season at age 21

10/11 Pro (ends season at age 22)
10/11 Playing after Jan. 14 consumes 1 year of eligibility

11/12 Pro (ends season at age 23)
11/12 Playing after Jan. 14 consumes 1 year of eligibility

12/13 Pro for 5 games ending Oct. 12st
12/13 Did not play after Jan. 15 so does not lose a year of eligibility

My initial feeling is 3 years of eligibility are left and his first game must by 365 days from that last ECHL game (he can play after Oct. 21 2013).

The school's CIS Eligibility officer should be able to tell him for sure if it's 2 or 3. At least 2.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I think Drummer is correct in his math. If this person wants to play CIS hockey then he needs to contact the coach at whatever school(s) he wants to try. This would be the first step, I think.

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto
While not committed it is highly unlikely that Derek Schoenmakers plays anywhere else but Laurier next season. His sweater still hangs in the locker room and he only left the team because Kitchener finally decided they wanted him and he gets to play for the Rangers in his final season. He will be a big addition to the Hawks 1a/1b line with Mitch Lebar and Tyler Stothers likely since Hawke/Lopes/Cerilli is pretty set as their other top line.

In addition, word is Ben Fanelli is taking courses at Laurier. If he wants to continue it would make logical sense he joins the Hawks next year. He would be a great addition and would blunt the loss of team captain Kyle vanDeBospoort. The Hawks #2 pairing of Holden/Provost is set but they definitely need a new top pair

I don't think I have seen you post in about 2 years. I did not know Schoenmakers jersey was still up in the locker room. That is a good sign that he will likely be back again next year. He should likely more than offset the loss of Mitch Good, and I also see him playing opposite Lebar and Stothers on the top line.

On defence, Laurier will definitely need to try and replace VanDeBospoort. Their blue line is already somewhat undersized, and they could use a large, reliable defenceman. It will be interesting to see their pairings, last year Holden played on the top pairing, with Provost playing on the second with Lowry. If they get a steady, top pairing defenceman, I could see them doing the same.

Their largest need in my opinion is in goal. There area number of OHL tenders who would fit nicely and would get a chance to instantly step in to a number 1 role now that Ryan Daniels has graduated (and signed with Missouri, CHL).

Mike Mascioli did not play since preseason and missed all games this season. I do not know if he will be back next year, but if so, I imagine he would be a welcome addition. Was he injured all year?

Last edited:

toxic rd

Nov 17, 2006
canucks.com
Yeah i don't post anymore really. I'm around Laurier's team so that's how i got that info. A friend works for the Rangers and Hawks and he gave me the Fanelli information and obviously just walking by the laundry i know Derek's jersey is still there. This is the CIS though, we also thought Brandon Foote was going to be the next big thing and sadly he had to step away from hockey for family reasons. Crazy things happen so neither Ben nor Derek nor Brandon are close to "locks" for Laurier...just hopefuls...althought Foote is almost certainly done playing hockey unfortunately.

I hope Holden doesn't get separated from Provost, they need to gel together and need time so they can be the two-way pairing each team needs to be in sync for 2-3 years of good hockey. They showed promise on the PP, Holden needs to be willing to put pucks through traffic more often and Provost needs to just get a little deadlier with his slap shot and one-timers (whihc are already decent) and that will take a lot of heat off the pp units next year which had realy difficult scoring this season.

Yeah mascioli was hurt the whole year, we kept hearing he'd be back in a few days, a few weeks, a few games etc... but it just didn't materialize for him. I don't expect him to go anywhere, 2nd year University isn't when you drop out if you are going to. And i don't believe his injury is career threatening. He should be able to red-shirt that year retroactively i believe (think they're allowed to do this atleast) so he should be able to get a year of eligibility back if he wants it. He can definitely add a dimension to the bottom 6 that the team just doesn't have right now. I'm supremely confident in the top-6 moving forward and the Holden/Provost pairing...i just don't have confidence anywhere else except for Ben Skinner on the pk.

Seriously, the guy is the best penalty killer ive seen in my years at Laurier, nicest kid ever too.

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto
Btw i've spent the last year trying to figure out who you are but i'm no closer to solving the mystery :P

Well I hope you continue to post, it is nice when anyone from the OUA posts to be honest to discuss league on goings, and it is especially nice when you have some somewhat inside information that is not publicly available on the team I directly follow.

As for your other comments, if Schoenmakers does come again, I too would be confident in the top 6. Skinner has been good on the PK, I think Lopes - Hawke and Vanni have been really good too. Getting Mascioli back would be good as well, despite mostly playing in the bottom 6, he has 8 points in 11 Laurier games.

As for who I am, I have no connection to the team, simply a former Laurier student who enjoyed watching them during my years, and still take in most home games as I have been doing on and off since 06-07 and regularly from 08-09 until now.

My apologies to anyone reading the thread if our Laurier talk has derailed it. So far no other updates, but it is still super early. Hopefully "recruiter" makes an appearance sometime in May/June.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
This was announced in Waterloo's 2012-13 recruiting class, but warrants mentioning again - the OUA West champs will add former Saginaw Captain and former minor pro (NYR) forward Chris Chappell next year.

He's been with the team all season, practicing, in classes, and sitting out the mandatory year for players coming off a pro contract. He should be a very strong addition to Waterloo's top-6 forward corps, as the Warriors are only losing two forwards, no d-men, and a goaltender from their Queen's Cup finalist team this year.

STUTOMMIES

Jul 23, 2008
Fredericton
It is very early but with the recent retirement of Jordan DePape from the WHL and an article by Gregg Drinnan speculation is that DePape will recover from his second shoulder surgery in two years and end up playing for his home town University of Manitoba in 2013-14.

Looks like you were correct.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...-henry-earn-cis-hockey-honours-197933761.html

DePape heading to U of M
A Western Hockey League forward with a nose for the net is coming home to play for the Bisons next season. U of M has recruited right-winger Jordan DePape, who turns 21 next week, for the 2013-14 season. DePape played 17 games for the Kamloops Blazers this season, scoring four goals and two assists before being sidelined with an injury. He was picked up by the Red Deer Rebels and could return to the ice later this month to wrap up his WHL career.
DePape, who was the 2008-09 MJHL rookie of the year as a Winnipeg Saint, launched his WHL career in 2009 with the Brandon Wheat Kings and was traded to Kamloops later that season. In 2010-11, he notched 21 goals and added 27 assists in 54 WHL games.

WilcoxHound

Aug 26, 2011
It's a stretch to put this in the recruiting thread but it does show openings for recruits at the Univ of Ottawa. The GG's are looking to fill at least 5 spots with the departure of players: Dominic Jalbert who signed with the ECHL Reading Royals, Captain and offensive force Luc-Olivier Blain, Darren Millar the hard hitting consistent defenseman, and Paul Forster, their big rugged multi purpose forward, all three of whom are graduating. In addition Ottawa also loses goalkeeper Russell Abbott who according to his facebook page is leaving school to work on a north american custom harvesting crew based in Saskatchewan. Good Luck Lads, may the force be with you!!

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto
Not entirely recruiting, but a bit of a look behind the scenes of university hockey life which was posted by Laurier athletics. I found it to be a great interview.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
ECHL transactions

A scroll down the ECHL transactions, since the end of the 2013 University Cup:
Travis Fullerton UNB ( g) San Fransisco 5 years eligibility
Tyler Dittmer Manitoba (d)
Andrew Clarke Acadia (f) Stockton 4 years
Sean O'Donnell SMU (f) Florida
Greg Gardiner Alberta (f) Colorado 5 years
Dylan Quaile PEI (f)
Brock Nixon Calgary (f) Colorado

Ched

Fueled by Passion
Jun 21, 2010
Bisons announce top recruit

the Bisons announced (or maybe re-announced) the commitment of very skilled forward Aaron Lewadniuk who played two seasons in the WHL with the Wheaties (including an 86 point season) and then two seasons in the ECHL. He apparently red-shirted with the Bisons this past year.

http://gobisons.ca/index.php?page=news&id=2858

this gives the Bisons two great recruits up front in Jordan DePape and Aaron Lewadniuk. Mike Sirant seems to be doing another stellar job of recruiting top talent to a perennial top CW team. The Bisons are losing some good players in

Tyler Dittmer F
Del Cowan F
Matt Lowry F
Tyler Feakes F
Brandon Lockerby D
Jesse Deckert G

but are restocking the already loaded shelves with some great offensive talent.

HockeySchools

May 17, 2012
Only 12 teams left playing across Canada in CHL. Lots of contact being made with players that have been beat out.

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto
F Dean Klomp - Lindsay (OJHL - Toronto

D Luke Madill - Drayton Valley (AJHL) - Dalhousie

D Branden Morris - Chatham (GOJHL)/Woodstock (MHL) - York (Also spent time with Kitchener and Belleville in the OHL prior to overage year)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->