CIS Recruiting 2013-14

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
UNB fans I wouldn't expect Hynes in the lineup, just had a conversation and it looks like he's in talks with an NHL camp as well as some in Europe, looks like hes going for the cash now > education

After reading that article about him I got the impression that he would take any pro deal (even ECHL) over going to school....seemed like UNB was more of a Plan C or D.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
After reading that article about him I got the impression that he would take any pro deal (even ECHL) over going to school....seemed like UNB was more of a Plan C or D.

Knowing the guy he doesn't really fit the "university" mold :laugh: now if it was trade school of newbrunswick itd be an option. But yes im at about 95 percent sure he wont be in a reds jersey

wolf13

Mar 4, 2013
As per Twitter: Cory Tanaka has been accepted in the MBA program at SMU so will play this season.

Kind of hard to criticize UNB now isn't it?

On a serious note that's good for him and good for SMU.

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto
Laurier has added another forward (their 8th):

F - Luke Hietkamp (Kingston Frontenacs)

A former OHL Priority 2nd round selection, he attended to Caroline Hurricanes NHL Training Camp in 2011.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Kind of hard to criticize UNB now isn't it?

On a serious note that's good for him and good for SMU.

I'm not certain, but I believe Tanaka is in the Masters of Business Administration, not the Masters of Hockey. Which means he will complete the program in two years, not leave after 1 year to play minor pro hockey. If it turns out that he is there for hockey only, I will man up to that. If Prids and Swan return to UNB this year to finish their program, I will also acknowledge that. If they don't finish the program, it will not be hard to criticize UNB, to answer your question.

Fan of the Vreds

Mar 27, 2008
Fredericton
NHL Development Camp Invites

Here is a list of 92 born players that are heading to or have participated in NHL development camps..

D – Alex Cord (Boston)
D – Etienne Boutet (Dallas)
F – Brock Montgomery (Dallas)
F – Brenden Ranford (Dallas)
G – Ty Rimmer (Dallas)
D – Joey Leach (Edmonton)
G – Matthais Niederberger (LA Kings)
F – Scott Sabourin (LA Kings)
F – Gabriel Desjardins (Montreal)
F – Ben Duffy (Montreal)
F – Samuel Henley (Montreal)
D – Brock Beukeboom (New York Rangers)
D – Charlie Dodero (New York Rangers)
F – Alex Gogolev (New York Rangers)
D – Mathieu Gagnon (Ottawa)
F – J.T Barnett (Phoenix)
F – Justin Feser (Phoenix)
F – Josh Currie (Phoenix)
F – Philippe Halley (Phoenix)
F – Brenden Walker (Phoenix)
G – Chris Gibson (Toronto)
D – Daniel Johnston (Vancouver)
F – Jesse Mychan (Vancouver)
F – Cody Sylvester (Vancouver)
D – Michael Cajkovsky (Washington)
F – T.J Foster (Washington)
D – Matt Petgrave (Washington)

CIS Players Attending Camps
F- Zach Harden (Washington)
F – Justin Larson (Washington)
F – Cam Braes (Phoenix)
F – Nick MacNeil (Edmonton)
F – Jason Bast (Chicago)
D - Ben Lindemulder (Edmonton)
D - Daine Todd (Montreal)

wolf13

Mar 4, 2013
I'm not certain, but I believe Tanaka is in the Masters of Business Administration, not the Masters of Hockey. Which means he will complete the program in two years, not leave after 1 year to play minor pro hockey. If it turns out that he is there for hockey only, I will man up to that. If Prids and Swan return to UNB this year to finish their program, I will also acknowledge that. If they don't finish the program, it will not be hard to criticize UNB, to answer your question.

So to review you just assume Pridam and Swan aren't finishing their program? Unless you have first hand knowledge that they are not? Because other players that stayed for a 5th year to do their MBA did finish the program.

What about a player who only plays say a year or two and then goes and plays pro? Is that wrong in your world to.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
To Wolf13:
Please re-read my post. I am not assuming anything. I stated twice that I would own up to my error(s) if I'm wrong. I do know that Kyle Bailey has not finished the program, but does intend to do so. My apologies to Kyle for bringing up his name. I do know that Pridham went off to play minor pro after CIS and got injured. I do know that Swan did not graduate from SFX and may not be up for the rigors of this program. I also know that I was content to let this whole thing subside until your subtle comment about Tanaka.

CoconutHockey*

Patrick Caisse ‏@PatrickCaisse 20m
Ben Duffy signe un contrat d'un an à deux volets (AHL/ECHL) avec les #Bulldogs

I think UNB fans will have to forget about Ben Duffy for this upcoming year, he just signed a 2-way deal (AHL/ECHL) with the Hamilton Bulldogs.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
That's a big, albeit not necessarily surprising, hit to their recruiting class. I am confident they will replace him with another solid player though. Perhaps he shows up at Xmas?

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Patrick Caisse ‏@PatrickCaisse 20m
Ben Duffy signe un contrat d'un an à deux volets (AHL/ECHL) avec les #Bulldogs

I think UNB fans will have to forget about Ben Duffy for this upcoming year, he just signed a 2-way deal (AHL/ECHL) with the Hamilton Bulldogs.

He's still a possibility at Christmas if the prospect of being called up isn't likely or he's low on the depth chart. He has to decide by early January - otherwise, he has to sit 365 and lose a year of eligibility (so if he plays the entire year - he has to sit all of the 2014/15 season and can play in the 2015/16 with 4 years instead of 5).

I agree though - the prospect of seeing him this season is low.

This also assumes that UNB keeps a card aside for him at Christmas (or play for someone else who has a card or in the OUA/CW conf where there are no cards :shakehead )

Worth noting that Ben Wright & Marc-Antoine Desnoyers both went pro for half a season and arrived at Christmas. Chad Denny and Josh Kidd also were playing AHL/ECHL, but came in September of the nest season.

Last edited:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Big surprise to me. I was talking with Foyle yesterday and we both agreed that there was no way he would get an AHL contract. If he has signed a 2-way there is a good chance that he will end up in the East Coast. Time will tell. The two guys Drummer mentioned did come at Christmas time, but that was before the cap. Unless Gardiner has no recruit to fill that spot, I can't see him leaving a spot open for a player who may not show. But, I suppose he could save a card for any ECHL guy. Again, time will tell.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
If I'm Ben Duffy and I've been in the Coast most of the entire 1st half, I'm on the next bus out of Wheeling and off to a CIS team somewhere.

A CIS player is good enough to play ECHL, but smart enough not to.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
If I'm Ben Duffy and I've been in the Coast most of the entire 1st half, I'm on the next bus out of Wheeling and off to a CIS team somewhere.

A CIS player is good enough to play ECHL, but smart enough not to.

That's what I'm thinking/hoping for. At $400 a week (including lodging and some food) isn't a lot to hang your hat on in the end ($1,600 a month or approx. $10K for the season - he'd get that going to school - $5K from the Q and $5K from UNB as AFA). I think we'll get a better idea as the season starts if he'll see any call-up time based on what line he plays and his production.

Teams are required in 2013-14 to pay rookie players a minimum salary of $400 [link]

Interesting story on Colby Armstrong on his stint in the ECHL during the lockout. [link]

SnipeShow91

Aug 9, 2010
Recruiting has been slow lately. Anyways, Laurier has announce 2 more players on their twitter account. Defenseman Mackenzie Braid from Summerside and Forward Brendan Woods from Georgetown.

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto
Recruiting has been slow lately. Anyways, Laurier has announce 2 more players on their twitter account. Defenseman Mackenzie Braid from Summerside and Forward Brendan Woods from Georgetown.

Indeed. It has been slow across the board this week, but as per the past few years, in July, Laurier has announced its full recruiting class.

http://www.laurierathletics.com/createarticle.php?ID=6661

Players announced today that were not previously posted as alluded to above include Mackenzie Braid (Sudbury OHL/Summerside MHL), Brendan Woods (Georgetown OJHL) and Peter MacIntosh (last played 2011-2012 with the Westside Warriors BCHL). Braid attended the Buffalo Sabres development camp in 2012.

Final Recruits:

F - Derek Schoenmakers (Kitchener Rangers)
F - Luke Hietkamp (Kingston Frontenacs)
F - Kyle Morrison (Truro Bearcats)
F - Greg Lamoureux (Okotoks Oilers)
F - Tanner Olstad (Okotoks Oilers)
F - Greg Trichilo (Trenton Golden Hawks)
F - Spencer MacCormack (Whitby Fury)
F - Brendan Woods (Georgetown Raiders)

D - MacKenzie Braid (Sudbury Wolves/Summerside Western Capitals)
D - Peter MacIntosh (Westside Warriors)

G - Shayne Campbell (Truro Bearcats)
G - Vinny Merante (Thorold Blackhawks)

8 of the 12 announced recruits have major junior experience. Martin Kudla, who had earlier committed to Laurier from the Guelph Hurricanes (GOJHL) is no longer listed.

Last edited:

SnipeShow91

Aug 9, 2010
F - Greg Trichilo (Trenton Golden Hawks)

Laurier fans are going to love this guy. I coached him for 2 years with the Vees and see him every time I work. Funny kid, great work ethic and is putting in the work in the gym cause he's getting bigger every time I see him. Also can score the odd big goal when needed. He scored the winner over Wellington in Game 5 (of a best of 5 series) on the road with 5 minutes left for us to beat Wellington in a series for the first time since 1990.

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto
Laurier fans are going to love this guy. I coached him for 2 years with the Vees and see him every time I work. Funny kid, great work ethic and is putting in the work in the gym cause he's getting bigger every time I see him. Also can score the odd big goal when needed. He scored the winner over Wellington in Game 5 (of a best of 5 series) on the road with 5 minutes left for us to beat Wellington in a series for the first time since 1990.

I am very much looking forward to watching him and the rest of the new players begin their CIS careers. From what I have read, Trichilo has good size at 6'1 200, can line up at either center or wing and is a good skater, which should help on Laurier's Olympic pad. After his trade to Trenton, he had the highest PPG of anyone on the team, and led the team, scoring 3 goals and adding an assist in 3 playoff games playing hurt. In his past 2 seasons, he had exactly 80 points in 80 OJHL games. Depending on who returns, and how lines are juggled, it is difficult to predict where he lands, but I project him as playing likely on the 4th line, but going up against any line. Just going off stats though, it is tough to compare different leagues, and players with different skillsets without actually seeing them play, so I could be way off. (Last year's team rookie I had pegged before the season as a 13th/14th forward).

Thanks for the input. You obviously have far more hockey background than myself, as I know you coach high level hockey with both Kingston and RMC.

Overall, a few days later, and I am still quite excited for the new group. I am not sure how Laurier will do in the win/loss column (they may regress from last year), as they have some key losses, but the best way to offset is with a strong recruiting class, and this is likely the strongest class I have seen since I began to follow the team. That being said, the average recruiting class in the OUA today is quite a bit higher than it was 5 years ago.

Last edited:

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Overall, a few days later, and I am still quite excited for the new group. I am not sure how Laurier will do in the win/loss column (they may regress from last year), as they have some key losses, but the best way to offset is with a strong recruiting class, and this is likely the strongest class I have seen since I began to follow the team. That being said, the average recruiting class in the OUA today is quite a bit higher than it was 5 years ago.

I know the recruiting season isn't over, but would love all the OUAers' thoughts on who the winners/losers of the 2013 offseason are - aside from McGill, who have made a *slight* upgrade </sarcasm>.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad