Proposal: Chytil for Panarin

Who wins?

• Total voters

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Panarin mentioned NY allegedly as a place he would want to play long term.

Chytil is not as good of a player, but for an unsigned player who may be moved, a top #20 prospect and potential ELC #2C is a good haul. Long term, Rangers lock up a great winger, and run with Andersson/Hayes/Zibanejad as their C combos until they find something better.

Wheeler's summary on Chytil in this article:

It’s crazy that Chytil, who doesn’t turn 19 until September, has already played a full season in the AHL and another in the top pro league in the Czech Republic. He was days away from being eligible for the 2018 draft but never looked out of place last season, picking up 31 points in 46 games as one of the younger players to ever play in the AHL — and did so on a Hartford team that didn’t offer much up front in terms of help. Chytil is a big, athletic centre who loves to have the puck on his stick and doesn’t have to rely on a chip-and-chase, cycle game to generate offence. While he projects more as a second-line centre than a first-line talent, Chytil still has time on his side. For a player who’s as heavy as he is (he’s already over 200 pounds), Chytil has a fluid, light stride which allows him to change direction and pace with more agility than you’d expect.

and Panarin's stats from Hockey Ref:

Traditional
07.27.2018-15.39.png

Advanced 5v5 (Rate)
07.27.2018-15.40.png

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Panarin signed or as a rental? Thats a big difference in the answer

Unsigned, that's stated in the post.

This is interesting, I'd have to see what Columbus fans think but I'd imagine they'd want an addition to Chytil even if it's a pick with conditions on resigning or something

I just imagine there would be teams who would beat an offer of Chytil straight up as good as a prospect as he may be

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Unsigned, that's stated in the post.

This is interesting, I'd have to see what Columbus fans think but I'd imagine they'd want an addition to Chytil even if it's a pick with conditions on resigning or something

I just imagine there would be teams who would beat an offer of Chytil straight up as good as a prospect as he may be
Can those teams re-sign Panarin?

Maybe it takes some massaging but when you're offering the #1 prospect from a team that has a definite top-10, potentially top-5 prospect pool, for a player that won't re-sign and wants out, its a legitimate offer.

Reactions: Critical91

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
ny is better off just offering him a competitive contract next summer, why gamble?

They can offer him 8 years, and they can have a much better chance if they are talking about it with him all season.

Not too many Panarin's become available, and if he hit FA, he'd be sought after by every team in the NHL. To me, that's a gamble as well. Deal for him, then lock him up on 8 instead of the 7 in FA.

FatGiraffe

Oct 5, 2016
Value favors NYR, but I don't do it as a Rangers fan:

Definately having Chytil long term + the chance of signing Panarin as a FA next year > Probably signing Panarin long term + definately not having Chytil.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
ny is better off just offering him a competitive contract next summer, why gamble?

Because:
1. If you have him for the season you can offer him a longer contract (8 yrs vs 7 yrs) - trying to increase the odds he signs in NY instead of going UFA to listen to all the offers
2. To try to prevent another team from doing #1
3. Trying to prevent open bidding on him as a UFA
4. Trying to prevent Columbus from swaying him to stay

Most Columbus fans like #4, so it would likely take more than Chytil alone to complete this.

If you want to run the gauntlet without it and just try to sign him UFA, then you run the risk of someone else signing him or trading for him. NY was the only speculated locations (emphasize this)

Reactions: Walter t

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
If teams know Panarin is only interested in a handful of teams then it makes sense for them to simply wait and take a chance as they will have solid odds with fewer teams bidding against them.

Also there is NO WAY NYR moves Chytil imo. He is far too important for their long term plans. NYR isn't winning the Cup next year either so getting Panarin 1 year early isn't too big of a deal.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
If he wants to play in NY, want trade anything for him? We can sign him as a UFA next summer. Easy no from the Rangers. Makes no sense given where we are in the rebuild.

He listed NY as a market he'd like to play in, amongst others. Dealing for him gives you a big upper hand. He is a better player now, and will likely be for a while. NYR has a glut of players that are described as "should be an ideal #2C", so moving 1 for an elite wing is a good move IMO.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Ideal scenario would be yes, the Rangers make this trade, and then he signs with the Isles.

Oh, and the Rangers throw in Shestyorkin too.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Because:
1. If you have him for the season you can offer him a longer contract (8 yrs vs 7 yrs) - trying to increase the odds he signs in NY instead of going UFA to listen to all the offers
2. To try to prevent another team from doing #1
3. Trying to prevent open bidding on him as a UFA
4. Trying to prevent Columbus from swaying him to stay

Most Columbus fans like #4, so it would likely take more than Chytil alone to complete this.

I'm sure CBJ hoping they can keep him just like NYI did with JT but with an even more obvious ending will end up well for them.

Panarins value for a team is only what he is worth for that single year, no team is going to give up a player of Chytil's caliber to obtain that. CBJ simply doesn't have that kind of leverage nor is the market in their favor

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
He listed NY as a market he'd like to play in, amongst others. If I had to guess, he goes back to Chicago if he hits UFA, but that's just baseless speculation. He had some great years there, and it was a good situation for him. They would be really top heavy, and probably still not very good, but it would be a good situation for him.

Not only are there a few teams he said he will play for but you also have to account which of those teams will be able to afford him. He will get close to 9 or 10 AAV in UFA pretty easily and I'm not sure Chi has that ability but it is possible.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
I'm sure CBJ hoping they can keep him just like NYI did with JT but with an even more obvious ending will end up well for them.

Panarins value for a team is only what he is worth for that single year, no team is going to give up a player of Chytil's caliber to obtain that. CBJ simply doesn't have that kind of leverage nor is the market in their favor

Why is the ending more obvious than for JT?

Why is the market not in the favor?

It's okay that you feel that way, I'm curious where we disagree.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Can those teams re-sign Panarin?

Maybe it takes some massaging but when you're offering the #1 prospect from a team that has a definite top-10, potentially top-5 prospect pool, for a player that won't re-sign and wants out, its a legitimate offer.

I never said otherwise, but a player of this caliber doesn't become available very often, and teams with some cap space to play with and could be contenders I imagine would offer some valuable pieces to bring him in.

Not a knock on Chytil, I just think it would be outbid

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
We'll take bread man in the off season, thanks. Of the destinations he's considering, NYR will offer the most money.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Nope...
I’d rather just try him in FA or trade something else. CBJ don’t have much leverage. Not risking giving away Chytil for Panarin and then Panarin still decides to test FA

Reactions: BlueLooksGood

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
He listed NY as a market he'd like to play in, amongst others. Dealing for him gives you a big upper hand. He is a better player now, and will likely be for a while. NYR has a glut of players that are described as "should be an ideal #2C", so moving 1 for an elite wing is a good move IMO.
Yeah but Chytil has realistic 1C potential. His potential isn’t the “ideal 2C” potential id be surprised if he weren’t a first liner in the league

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
Chytil is a great prospect, but at the very least they’re going to need to add a second to that.

Reactions: Aspirine

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Why is the ending more obvious than for JT?

Why is the market not in the favor?

It's okay that you feel that way, I'm curious where we disagree.

With JT there weren't reports that he wanted to play in a different market. The reason that Panarin is being discussed at all is because there are reports that indicate he wont be resigning. So there are only 2 outcomes: 1 he is resigned before the season starts (as reports say he wont discuss contract stuff past that) or 2 CBJ will have to trade him or lose him for nothing. At least in JTs case there was a small chance he would stay, where as here the reports are more definitive.

The market isn't in CBJ's favor for a couple of reasons. First, like we see with EK it seems the player is only considering a small handful of teams in UFA which severely limits the amount of team who would be interested. Next the market is FILLED with high end wingers right now with names like Skinner, Patches, Simmonds, etc available for trade atm so that also limits CBJs ability to create any kind of bidding war. While I think he is the best option out of the group, its close enough to where it would limit the return.

Essentially the burden to make a deal is squarely on CBJ here and that rarely ends well for a team unless there is a foolish GM out there to help out which there doesn't seem to be for the possible destinations.

Now I don't think a 1st and a prospect is an absurd ask, in fact I'd say that is very likely as a return, but the quality of each of those pieces has a wide range of variance.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Here is why the Rangers easily pass:

1-they can pursue him in free agency if they feel the need rather than trade one of their top prospects(if not top prospect) for an unsigned soon to be UFA.

2-Getting a UFA via trade in the midst of a rebuild makes absolutely no sense unless he is McDavid caliber.

They are not necessarily interested in contending this season, so no rush to bulk up................... so this is a no brainer of a "no". I'd love Panarin, but I'll wait for free agency as I have no intention of giving up a high end prospect for him during a re build.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad