Proposal: Chytil for Panarin

Who wins?

• Total voters

paragon

May 5, 2010
If that was the only offer CBJ would be better off just playing the season with Panarin and letting him walk.

Reactions: Ruddy64

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Interesting offer, I think if you add a conditional pick the value is relatively fair and the trade could benefit both teams. However, Chytil projects as the NYR #1C as of now and with Lias sitting as a #2C that's a pretty deadly combo down the middle. We've seen how important centre depth is so I don't know if NYR make this deal.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
He listed NY as a market he'd like to play in, amongst others. Dealing for him gives you a big upper hand. He is a better player now, and will likely be for a while. NYR has a glut of players that are described as "should be an ideal #2C", so moving 1 for an elite wing is a good move IMO.

No, it's not. Rebuilding teams shouldn't be trading key prospects for expensive vets with 1 year left on their contract. I'm not worried about him signing somewhere else. If he does, he does. I'm not even sure the Rangers will offer him a contract if he gets to UFA and wants to come here. Either way, we aren't paying a high price to ensure he signs with us. If Columbus wants to trade him, they need to look at contending teams, not rebuilding teams.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Chytil is a great prospect, but at the very least they’re going to need to add a second to that.
They're not adding **** to that. Chytil is untouchable. Especially for a pending UFA.

If Panarin wants to play in NY, he'll wait a year. Rangers aren't moving their most talented forward prospect who's just 18 years old for someone that can walk in less than a year.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Here is why the Rangers easily pass:

1-they can pursue him in free agency if they feel the need rather than trade one of their top prospects(if not top prospect) for an unsigned soon to be UFA.

2-Getting a UFA via trade in the midst of a rebuild makes absolutely no sense unless he is McDavid caliber.

They are not necessarily interested in contending this season, so no rush to bulk up................... so this is a no brainer of a "no". I'd love Panarin, but I'll wait for free agency as I have no intention of giving up a high end prospect for him during a re build.
No he's not on McDs level, but he is absolutely a cornerstone player a franchise could build around. It's extremely unlikely unless he's dead set on testing FA, that he actually makes it there.

That being said the rangers aren't in a position to start building around anyone for a few more seasons imo

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Panarin mentioned NY allegedly as a place he would want to play long term.

Chytil is not as good of a player, but for an unsigned player who may be moved, a top #20 prospect and potential ELC #2C is a good haul. Long term, Rangers lock up a great winger, and run with Andersson/Hayes/Zibanejad as their C combos until they find something better.

IF ONLY they had a prospect in their system who projects as being that "something better".

Rangers are nowhere near competing. They are rebuilding. Keeping Chytil makes infinitely more sense to them than going old-school Rangers and trading him away for a flashier name who is only signed for another year... no matter if Panarin is the better player (by far).

This is a pretty dumb proposal that doesn't do anything for the Rangesr in their current situation.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
They're not adding **** to that. Chytil is untouchable. Especially for a pending UFA.

If Panarin wants to play in NY, he'll wait a year. Rangers aren't moving their most talented forward prospect who's just 18 years old for someone that can walk in less than a year.

If I could like this post ten times over, I would.

Reactions: Lays

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011

HOMER ALERT LOL. Chytil and untouchable don’t belong in the same paragraph. Great prospect, would be ignorant to call him untouchable.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
This would be the Carmelo trade all over again. Which the Knicks still haven't recovered from

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
This would be a great deal for Columbus. Not terrible from the Rangers perspective, but dealing talented prospects can bite you in the ass.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
HOMER ALERT LOL. Chytil and untouchable don’t belong in the same paragraph. Great prospect, would be ignorant to call him untouchable.
His value is greater to this team than what another team would offer. Given the Rangers situation, he most definitely is untouchable.

Last edited:

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Gorton and Co. see Chytil and Andersson along with a couple of others as the next generation of Ranger hockey. Trading for Panarin would put a dent into this rebuild/retool....

If they go after Panarin, it will be in free agency.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
They can offer him 8 years, and they can have a much better chance if they are talking about it with him all season.

Not too many Panarin's become available, and if he hit FA, he'd be sought after by every team in the NHL. To me, that's a gamble as well. Deal for him, then lock him up on 8 instead of the 7 in FA.
I don't even want to offer 8 years to players anymore. It seems like everyone signed to 8 winds up with the team trying to ditch them by year 3 or 4. Keep Panarin. If he really wants to play in NY, he will take our call when he hits UFA. There's not an agent in the business representing a UFA who doesn't at least try to get NYR in the conversation to drive up the price. Giving up Chytil to get into a conversation we know will involve anyway makes zero sense.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
To be fair to both teams their should be a shitty for bith teams option. The rangers are coming off years off being competitive and retool/rebuilding and giving up one of their best kids makes 0 sense. For the jackets trading for an 18 year old who might not make the team for a few years or hit his potential for our best offensive piece that helps us be in our best position to win this year... it doesnt work for either

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
horrible for the rangers

why would anyone trade for panarin if its known he wont re-sign

chicago already traded him because they felt he wouldnt re-sign

so apparently they found a sucker and now columbus will have to

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
As mentioned numerous times, I'd rather keep the kid and attempt to sign Artemi next summer.

If he signs somewhere else, I'm fine with that as well.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
That's a pretty Chyti deal for Columbus

if columbus cant re-sign him thats a pretty good return

teams have to evaluate what they can get in the situation its doubtful they can get Chytil for Panarin considering ranger fans responses, as with the Jets and Trouba, the burden falls on columbus to find a better deal

seven years of control vastly out weigh one year and most teams will not trade that level of prospect in this type of situation. I am not a ranger fan, but I wouldnt trade equivalent Islander prospects Noah Dobson or Oliver Wahlstrom for Panarin, so I wouldnt believe any other team would or should do that either.

as I say the burden falls upon columbus, they knew full well when the aquired him what they were walking into, since Chicago only traded him because they couldnt sign him

Last edited:

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Panarin mentioned NY allegedly as a place he would want to play long term.

Chytil is not as good of a player, but for an unsigned player who may be moved, a top #20 prospect and potential ELC #2C is a good haul. Long term, Rangers lock up a great winger, and run with Andersson/Hayes/Zibanejad as their C combos until they find something better.

Wheeler's summary on Chytil in this article:

and Panarin's stats from Hockey Ref:

Traditional
07.27.2018-15.39.png

Advanced 5v5 (Rate)
07.27.2018-15.40.png
Probably a fair deal but the Rangers don’t really need to make this kind of move. Panarin may well make it to free agency at which point the Rangers would be a good bet to sign him. And this coming season the Rangers aren’t making a run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad