Proposal: Chytil for Panarin

Who wins?

• Total voters
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
the quote is from "the athletic"and its behind a paywall but it is word for word what I quoted. part of it was also referenced here

Panarin not looking to spend eight years in Columbus

“It’s about, does he want to spend the next eight years in Columbus?” Panarin’s Daniel Milstein said in an interview with The Athletic on Sunday. “That’s the only thing at stake right now. If it was a two-year deal we probably would have done it. But it isn’t a two-year deal. It’s [going to] have to be an extended, seven- or eight-year deal put in place.”

he goes on to say that Panarin doesnt want to remain in Columbus, that he's looking for the "Bright lights, Big City.

so to me he appears to be saying NY Or LA it seems that he has a very limited wish list. I guess it depends on what he sees as "Bright lights, Big City." but most would say that means NY Or LA,and no I dont think he's refering to anaheim the Islanders or the Sabres either

He never says the part I bolded in your post. He says he doesn't know if he wants to sign long term in Columbus.

Why make things up?

Not only that there is no list. Aaron Portzline guessed he wants to be in NY/LA/FL. It was click bait in another article. Dan Milstein has a direct quote that there is no list.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
or you must have missed the point that 7 years are better than one

Oh **** we.must have missed that Panarin changed his mind and is willing to sign in columbus

im not even a ranger fan and I know Chytil is every bit as Promising As Dubois

you seem to be forgetting that Panarin isnt willing to sign in columbus PERIOD

so hes not worth what youre asking
Totally understand this is how you feel. There have been other historical situations similar to this and there were 5, 10, 20 teams still interested. I think our point, as fans, is that what may not work or be considered value for some fan bases (or teams since we clearly aren't GMs) doesn't hold true for the rest of the league. Hell, I could certainly be wrong but this situation isn't unique and teams have gotten excellent value. Hell, what Rick Nash returned for this franchise was outstanding and he literally came out and said trade me, oh yeah, and only trade me to the Rangers (or a very limited number of teams).

I get your point and respect your (and other's) opinion but it isn't just the NYR or FLA we're talking about, in general. I'd love Chytil but happen to feel Panarin will still get more - from someone. Just my opinion.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
He never says the part I bolded in your post. He says he doesn't know if he wants to sign long term in Columbus.

Why make things up?

Not only that there is no list. Aaron Portzline guessed he wants to be in NY/LA/FL. It was click bait in another article. Dan Milstein has a direct quote that there is no list.
He does too, read the athletic. Why make things up cause you're to cheap to pay for The Athletic?
No he doesn't say NY And LA but What else does bright lights mean? I'm not even sure Florida counts in that regard and I'm retired and living in Florida.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
He does too, read the athletic. Why make things up cause you're to cheap to pay for The Athletic?
No he doesn't say NY And LA but What else does bright lights mean? I'm not even sure Florida counts in that regard and I'm retired and living in Florida.
And no I'm point in any article or interview has Milstein or Panarin flat out said " I don't want to be in Columbus" All that's been said is he isn't sure if he wants to be here.

Instead of giving a bold paraphrase why don't you give the actual quote instead of bashing people for being cheap. Not everyone wants to/is able to pay for the athletic.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
And no I'm point in any article or interview has Milstein or Panarin flat out said " I don't want to be in Columbus" All that's been said is he isn't sure if he wants to be here.

Instead of giving a bold paraphrase why don't you give the actual quote instead of bashing people for being cheap. Not everyone wants to/is able to pay for the athletic.
i did give the actual quote and he did say if it was 2 years it would likely be signed already but this is not a 2 year deal (referring to his being a pending free agent) he doesn't say " no I don't want to be in columbus" but he does say "bright lights." What do you consider bright lights to be? Certainly not columbus.

it's understandable if you can afford the Athletic but that's why I posted the paraphrased version I found online as well , the direct html only goes to a sign up for the athletic page if you're not a subscriber

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
i did give the actual quote and he did say if it was 2 years it would likely be signed already but this is not a 2 year deal (referring to his being a pending free agent) he doesn't say " no I don't want to be in columbus" but he does say "bright lights." What do you consider bright lights to be? Certainly not columbus.

it's understandable if you can afford the Athletic but that's why I posted the paraphrased version I found online as well , the direct html only goes to a sign up for the athletic page if you're not a subscriber
And the paraphrased version says absolutely nothing about where he wants to play.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
No you made it up and expect everyone to accept your "logic." Milstein makes it clear there is no list.

As far as the cheap comment, I've dealt with that appropriately.

Reactions: cslebn and Fro

major major

Feb 18, 2013
The market isn't in CBJ's favor for a couple of reasons. First, like we see with EK it seems the player is only considering a small handful of teams in UFA which severely limits the amount of team who would be interested.

We don't actually know any of that. There could be three teams or ten. We'll find out more in September.

Next the market is FILLED with high end wingers right now with names like Skinner, Patches, Simmonds, etc available for trade atm so that also limits CBJs ability to create any kind of bidding war.

I don't think any of those guys are in the same category. Put Panarin with any two players and it's a top line, you can't say that about the three guys you mentioned.

ny is better off just offering him a competitive contract next summer, why gamble?

I think the Rangers are better off gambling they can get him next year, because they're mid-rebuild, but he probably won't make it to July 1st.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
As mentioned numerous times, I'd rather keep the kid and attempt to sign Artemi next summer.

If he signs somewhere else, I'm fine with that as well.

This is a good sign that you don't know the value of the player you're talking about.

The Rangers haven't had a player at his level since Jagr, and Panarin is 26 years old.

Reactions: Fro

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
If Panarin was extended or NYR could at least negotiate an extension that they like first, Chytil + wouldn't be off the table. But unsigned, it just doesn't make sense for NY in their current state to move their #1 forward prospect. As many have mentioned, CBJ can pull a haul for a rental Panarin from a competing team that will get value out of him this season and then can gamble on the possibility of long term.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
This is a good sign that you don't know the value of the player you're talking about.

The Rangers haven't had a player at his level since Jagr, and Panarin is 26 years old.

I know all about how good Panarin is.

I also now that we just started the rebuild which means that in 4 years when we are ready to really get after it, todays Panarin is not going to be the same as a 32 year old Panarin (read: MUCH less effective)

But go ahead with your bad self.

Reactions: haveandare

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
let's not get carried away here, Chytil is a damn good prospect but he's not on the same planet right now as Panarin ! Rangers win by a mile !! it would have to be Chytil + to make it even close to being a fair deal.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
let's not get carried away here, Chytil is a damn good prospect but he's not on the same planet right now as Panarin ! Rangers win by a mile !! it would have to be Chytil + to make it even close to being a fair deal.

It's not really about value though - in a vacuum, yes, you're right - the Rangers would have to add. The point is, that right now Panarin is useless on the Rangers - he's not going to magically turn them into a cup contender - they're rebuilding. Having 7 controlled years of Chytil is much better for the Rangers than having Panarin for a year when they're most likely not even going to come close to sniffing the playoffs. The Rangers just aren't good trade partners - CBJ needs to get a haul for him at the deadline from a contending team, and considering what the Rangers got for Nash this last deadline, I have no doubt that they WILL get a haul.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
It's not really about value though - in a vacuum, yes, you're right - the Rangers would have to add. The point is, that right now Panarin is useless on the Rangers - he's not going to magically turn them into a cup contender - they're rebuilding. Having 7 controlled years of Chytil is much better for the Rangers than having Panarin for a year when they're most likely not even going to come close to sniffing the playoffs. The Rangers just aren't good trade partners - CBJ needs to get a haul for him at the deadline from a contending team, and considering what the Rangers got for Nash this last deadline, I have no doubt that they WILL get a haul.
The OP is a Ranger fan. Tell him.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014

I don’t think Chytil is going anywhere. He’s the future superstar of the Rangers prospect pool and his value is equal to Panarin in my opinion.

I think Hayes and Andersson is a more likely package than Chytil.

Claxton

Sep 30, 2007
So the Rangers, who are just starting a rebuild, should trade their top prospect for a guy who turns them into a mediocre bubble team for years, eats up 9-10 million dollars of cap space or goes UFA at the end of the year. Brilliant.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
chytil is a nice prospect, but he isnt worth a guy that can put up 30g/80+ pts
not even close.

add buch and the bj's at least think about it

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
Our offer starts with Purple Hayes and any plus goes down to lower prospects plus we need to talk to agent about resigning breadman.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

6 months into a rebuild this move makes no sense.

As good as Panarin is, hes not going to make the Rangers any better than he made an already good Columbus team better.

So the Rangers, who are just starting a rebuild, should trade their top prospect for a guy who turns them into a mediocre bubble team for years, eats up 9-10 million dollars of cap space or goes UFA at the end of the year. Brilliant.

Please read these before posting about how lopsided this is. Yes, the value in a vacuum is robbery for the Rangers, but given where they are and what they're doing, this deal would make no sense for them.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Please read these before posting about how lopsided this is. Yes, the value in a vacuum is robbery for the Rangers, but given where they are and what they're doing, this deal would make no sense for them.
Then tell Rangers fans not to make threads asking for him.

Columbus doesn’t offer a discount because the Rangers are rebuilding.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
That's not happening. Rangers aren't trading Chytil for Panarin, when Panarin, even signed doesn't turn our team around. If Rangers were still in win now mode, maybe it's a discussion, but this is awful for a rebuilding team.

CJB, if they trade away Panarin it might be waiving goodbye to playoffs. So, I think they'd prefer a definite impact player this year, one that's probably younger and more cost controlled, so they don't just toss away the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad