Series Talk: ECQF: Boston Bruins vs Toronto Maple Leafs (Series Tied 3-3)

What will be the outcome of this series?

• Boston in 4

Votes: 95 6.1%
  • Boston in 5

Votes: 307 19.8%
  • Boston in 6

Votes: 445 28.7%
  • Boston in 7

Votes: 277 17.8%
  • Toronto in 4

Votes: 20 1.3%
  • Toronto in 5

Votes: 38 2.4%
  • Toronto in 6

Votes: 188 12.1%
  • Toronto in 7

Votes: 183 11.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
The problem here is that a guy who had 15G is a “major blow” to you team.
That’s some serious depth issues if Bobby McMann being out hurts you that badly
Here's today's practice lines (Matthews had a day off, so Dewar took his place):

Bertuzzi-Matthews-Domi
Knies-Tavares-Marner
Nylander-Holmberg-Jarnkrok
Robertson-Kampf-Reaves
Dewar

Do you even know who Bobby McMann is without Googling him? He's not some plug. McMann scored 15 goals in 56 GP. And he's generally a bottom six guy. You think the Leafs lack depth? Really?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Here's today's practice lines (Matthews had a day off, so Dewar took his place):

Bertuzzi-Matthews-Domi
Knies-Tavares-Marner
Nylander-Holmberg-Jarnkrok
Robertson-Kampf-Reaves
Dewar

Do you even know who Bobby McMann is without Googling him? He's not some plug. McMann scored 15 goals in 56 GP. And he's generally a bottom six guy. You think the Leafs lack depth? Really?
You tell me, it’s Leaf’s fans pointing out a 27yo rookie who scored 15G is a “major blow” to their lineup…

• Love
Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
You tell me, it’s Leaf’s fans pointing out a 27yo rookie who scored 15G is a “major blow” to their lineup…

What does his age have to do with anything?

Missing their 2nd and 5th best goalscorer obviously hurts every teams depth. That's like saying missing DeBrusk has no impact on the series because he scores less than McMann.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
I dunno. I think losing Peeke was a pretty big blow to the Bruins & he’s a third pairing D.

If McCann is playing on the third line, you more than likely gotta bump someone up to fill his roll and play someone where they shouldn’t be.

Same with Lauko on the third line to start the playoffs. Dude should be 4th line or pressbox imo. Third line player he’s not.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Wtf did i just read.

What that meant was 1 for 11 on the PP is 1 for 11. Leafs probably want to improve the PP, rather than complain about not getting calls. But what do I know? Other than the fact they’ll have to get a shit load more calls with a sub 10% PP. No?????

Just having some fun.

If the Leafs can put Marchand aside,and treat him like regular,they would be more focused,and less distracted.Marchand knows he is in their heads from the Liljegren hit.

Think that as absolutely on the mark.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
If you think 15G in 56 games is a “massive loss” then I don’t know what to tell you either

It depends on how you define massive. It's a bigger loss when they're missing their second and 5th best scorer together.

Would missing Brad Marchand and Jake DeBrusk affect the series? He scored less goals per game than McMann this year. McMann is probably the Leafs best third liner this season.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
It depends on how you define massive. It's a bigger loss when they're missing their second and 5th best scorer together.

Would missing Brad Marchand and Jake DeBrusk affect the series? He scored less goals per game than McMann this year. McMann is probably the Leafs best third liner this season.
Injuries happen.... Toronto isnt down because of injuries, they are down because they have too many overpaid forwards that dont show up in playoffs

its been the same thing for what 6 years now?

Not like toronto didnt benefit from injuries last year.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Injuries happen.... Toronto isnt down because of injuries, they are down because they have too many overpaid forwards that dont show up in playoffs

The Nylander injury is pretty big actually.

98 point player, 40 goal scorer and the Leafs highest scoring PP player and zone entry player on a team that's currently struggling in both.

The Leafs probably still lose Game 1 with Nylander. Game 3 when they lost by a goal (before the ENG) and went 0/5 on the PP it's harder to say. They might still be down 2-1, they might be up 2-1. Boston definitely benefitted from Nylander being out just as the Leafs would have benefitted if Pastrnak or Marchand were out.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The Nylander injury is pretty big actually.

98 point player, 40 goal scorer and the Leafs highest scoring PP player and zone entry player on a team that's currently struggling in both.

The Leafs probably still lose Game 1 with Nylander. Game 3 when they lost by a goal and went 0/5 on the PP it's harder to say. They might still be down 2-1, they might be up 2-1.
Its irrelevant tbh.... and honestly the leafs thought it was more important for nylander to chase 100 and matthews to chase 70 than worrying about the playoffs.

Again its a mentality issue in toronto, they find ways to lose big games.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Its irrelevant tbh.... and honestly the leafs thought it was more important for nylander to chase 100 and matthews to chase 70 than worrying about the playoffs.

Again its a mentality issue in toronto, they find ways to lose big games.

That makes no sense. Most teams have their players play every game.

Last year the Leafs rested Matthews, Marner and Nylander and it didn't work. The Leafs scratched Marner at 99 points last season on the last game of the season - that didn't result in a cup win. Definitely not a mentality thing.

The Leafs were already underdogs and the road team, add in the fact that they're the team with the more significant injuries and they were predicted to lose. The Leafs were underdogs with Nylander in the lineup - now with him out, or coming back when they're already down just makes it easier for Boston.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
That makes no sense. Most teams have their players play every game.

Last year the Leafs rested Matthews, Marner and Nylander and it didn't work. The Leafs scratched Marner at 99 points last season on the last game of the season - that didn't result in a cup win.

Definitely not a mentality thing.
You mean last year, the only time theyve made it through round 1?

seemed like a step forward to me

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
You mean last year, the only time theyve made it through round 1?

seemed like a step forward to me

The Leafs actually scratched their players every year but this year. According to you, they should have won every year because the team they're playing wasn't scratching players.

So you're telling me Vegas isn't serious about a Cup because they played all their players last year and this year?

Or Tampa wasn't serious because they didn't scratch their stars on the last game during the Cup wins? Or Colorado isn't serious because MacKinnon played 82 games including a meaningless game vs Edmonton to end the season? Is Boston serious for playing Pastrnak and Marchand all 82 games?

The reality and what you think the reality is are two different things.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Saw it yesterday. f***ing embarrassing. And then Maroon making sure Reaves wasn't on the ice before going all gangster.

giphy.gif
Maroon has fought Chara three times, Reeves, Lucic, Deslauriers, and all the tough guys, he may not win, but I highly doubt he’s afraid to fight anyone.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The Leafs actually scratched their players every year but this year. According to you, they should have won every year because the team they're playing wasn't scratching players.

So you're telling me Vegas isn't serious about a Cup because they played all their players last year and this year?

Or Tampa wasn't serious because they didn't scratch their stars on the last game during the Cup wins? Or Colorado isn't serious because MacKinnon played 82 games including a meaningless game vs Edmonton to end the season? Is Boston serious for playing Pastrnak and Marchand all 82 games?

The reality and what you think the reality is are two different things.
No... the leafs are not serious contenders because they are mentally weak... consistently finding ways to lose

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
0-5 on the pp with the generational talent goal scorer is far more embarrassing
And the coach complaining more penalties weren't called on Marchand when they couldn't even score on the 5 PP they had. Sure, one or two more PP would have made all the difference in the world:biglaugh:

Reactions: Ladyfan and Score8

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Everyteam that made the playoffs minus the leafs

So the 2 teams in the East down 3-0? Cool.

It's clear when you aren't willing to name who you think the strong teams are until after they win the Cup that you don't have any rationale behind your opinions.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
So the 2 teams in the East down 3-0? Cool.

It's clear when you aren't willing to name who you think the strong teams are until after they win the Cup that you don't have any rationale behind your opinions.
Vegas, Carolina, Florida

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

I think Boston is built differently. Boston has Forbort and Peeke out on the D side and they can handle it. Toronto would have a real tough time if 1/3 of the top 6 was out.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
I have no problem with calling an embellishment penalty on either team when it's warranted.
Put a stop to that stuff thats creeping into the game more each year.
The league should warn both teams through back channels...next dive is going to be a penalty.

once you call it they will stop but the refs haven't controlled the game very well at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad