Proposal: Chytil for Panarin

Who wins?

• Total voters

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
He listed NY as a market he'd like to play in, amongst others. Dealing for him gives you a big upper hand. He is a better player now, and will likely be for a while. NYR has a glut of players that are described as "should be an ideal #2C", so moving 1 for an elite wing is a good move IMO.
Just FYI - there is no "List" of destinations he may prefer. That's been formally stated by his agent. He might want to go to NY but there is no list. As to the offer, I don't see Columbus jumping on that. CBJ is a very good, young team and have stated any moves are to support the NHL club. Losing a top 3 wing for a nice prospect isn't going to cut it. Prospects and picks are what end up being deadline deals, not August deals.

Reactions: Ruddy64

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
We'll take bread man in the off season, thanks. Of the destinations he's considering, NYR will offer the most money.
There will be a team willing to trade for him now with the chance to sign him for 8 years rather than 7. There is risk assuming he'll sign with the NYR in the off season just because of money. There are other teams that will throw similar money and in better short/long term situations. NYR may not be the ideal destination if he wants to win the cup sooner than later.

Reactions: cslebn

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
A top 15-20 prospect on a rebuilding team is absolutely untouchable
I don't know...if NYR think they can sign Bread for 8 years, that would be 9 years of a KNOWN commodity that is a top line player and some might say elite wing. Most GMs do that deal every day, 8 days a week. Panarin is only 26 years old and that contract shouldn't scare anyone based on his style of play.

Reactions: Critical91

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
As so often happens on HF people are ignoring the age difference. Panarin is 8 years older. That is 8 years closer to the end of his career. The value of that is huge.

What Chytil has done in the AHL at his age is also huge. It is unusual for players of his age to play there at all, much less that successfully. Chytil will score as much as Panarin but he will do it at C. He has twice as much career ahead of him. Not to mention that 7 years of that time will be on ELC/RFA.

CBJ win this one and by a very wide margin.

Reactions: Lays

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
There will be a team willing to trade for him now with the chance to sign him for 8 years rather than 7. There is risk assuming he'll sign with the NYR in the off season just because of money. There are other teams that will throw similar money and in better short/long term situations. NYR may not be the ideal destination if he wants to win the cup sooner than later.
the point is that he doesnt want to play in COLUMBUS, so like winnipeg YOU have to find a team to give you that value. and teams arent going to be eager to trade controlled young assets like that if they dont know if they can retain him

its a Shattenkirk situation all over again and the blues got forward Zach Sanford, Brad Malone a very late 2017 first-round draft pick, and a conditional future second-round pick (which the conditions of which were not met)

and the blues retained 39% of Shattenkirks salary, and sent a good young goalie in Copley, so Zach Sanford, Brad Malone, a 27th overall for a retained Shattenkirk and Copley

7 years of a top prospect beats one year of an all star easily

the burden is on columbus to find the team who will give you that value, but everyone knows he doesnt want to be in columbus. there is no risk for the rangers at all. They cant risk what they never had. The risk is on the team that trades for him. if they find out that they too cant sign him

if hes there in free agency, the rangers can sign him. if he isnt there, they invested nothing, its not like they are challenging for a Cup this season

if it were me Id never offer A player like Chytil in a deal like this, since there is no upside.. Chytil is much like Pierre luc Dubois, at the same stage of development, Panarin as good as he is isnt going to make the Rangers a contender THIS SEASON.

As an isles fan i wouldnt mind if they did...but it doesnt make it any less stupid to do, and I wouldnt allow fandom to make me lie

Last edited:

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Its like people dont understand him walking isnt this thing many of us are worried about. Anyone wanting him though TRULY wanting him and not wanting to risk him goingnanywhere else will be willing to pay. We gave up Saad who by all accounts completely regressed for him and thats it. For 2 years of Panarin thats worth it as fans. If he returns something we will all be happy but a tiny % will be upset if he walks no return. Its not a teams fault if a player choses location over noney/team/coach which he has numerous times stated he is very much happy with. So no GM will be punished for a player who doesnt want anything you can offer. If he does get something great but if not I dont see it as a loss Ill take what we got.

emodwarf

Oct 12, 2009
Boston. Sucks.
Trading Chytil for Panarin (even if he signed another contract) is the polar opposite of what the Rangers have said they're doing. They publicly announced a rebuild, and the GM has said multiple times in interviews they're committed to the process. They're not going to throw the kids to the wolves, but they're also not going to sacrifice the future just to be a middling team delusional about another kick at the can.

And everything the Rangers have done backs that up. Avoiding big FA contracts to older vets. Hiring a developmental couch. Focusing on drafting and trading for young talent that can grow up together as the future core of the team.

Trading their most offensively dynamic center prospect with 1C potential...even in a hypothetical that's just bad.

I could see the Rangers making an offer to Panarin as a UFA next year. He could play the Gaborik-like role for the Rangers, a guy who won't always drive the play but will be a strong supporting guy in the top 6. That isn't worth sacrificing the Rangers' best prospect, especially at the more important center position.

Reactions: Lays

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Trading Chytil for Panarin (even if he signed another contract) is the polar opposite of what the Rangers have said they're doing. They publicly announced a rebuild, and the GM has said multiple times in interviews they're committed to the process. They're not going to throw the kids to the wolves, but they're also not going to sacrifice the future just to be a middling team delusional about another kick at the can.

And everything the Rangers have done backs that up. Avoiding big FA contracts to older vets. Hiring a developmental couch. Focusing on drafting and trading for young talent that can grow up together as the future core of the team.

Trading their most offensively dynamic center prospect with 1C potential...even in a hypothetical that's just bad.

I could see the Rangers making an offer to Panarin as a UFA next year. He could play the Gaborik-like role for the Rangers, a guy who won't always drive the play but will be a strong supporting guy in the top 6. That isn't worth sacrificing the Rangers' best prospect, especially at the more important center position.
agreed, its like the Jackets trading Dubois for Duchene or Werenski for Karlsson, teams dont give up multiple years of long term value for one year of better value.. its ridiculous. you dont see Columbus giving up Jones or Werenski for Karlsson so why would anybody else?

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
agreed, its like the Jackets trading Dubois for Duchene or Werenski for Karlsson, teams dont give up multiple years of long term value for one year of better value.. its ridiculous. you dont see Columbus giving up Jones or Werenski for Karlsson so why would anybody else?
Oh shit we.must have missed dudes rookie season where the comparison you made would make sense.

Reactions: cslebn

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Oh **** we.must have missed dudes rookie season where the comparison you made would make sense.
or you must have missed the point that 7 years are better than one

Oh **** we.must have missed that Panarin changed his mind and is willing to sign in columbus

im not even a ranger fan and I know Chytil is every bit as Promising As Dubois

you seem to be forgetting that Panarin isnt willing to sign in columbus PERIOD

so hes not worth what youre asking

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
or you must have missed the point that 7 years are better than one

Oh **** we.must have missed that Panarin changed his mind and is willing to sign in columbus

im not even a ranger fan and I know Chytil is every bit as Promising As Dubois

you seem to be forgetting that Panarin isnt willing to sign in columbus PERIOD

so hes not worth what youre asking
When did Panarin say that? He has said he is hesitant to sign here long term and if it was short term he would have signed already and that he loves the team coach and players... thats been said. And if traded it wont be 1 year it will be sign and trade. So 8 years is better then 7.

You should probably know the situation before talking about it...

Reactions: Starat327

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
When did Panarin say that? He has said he is hesitant to sign here long term and if it was short term he would have signed already and that he loves the team coach and players... thats been said. And if traded it wont be 1 year it will be sign and trade. So 8 years is better then 7.

You should probably know the situation before talking about it...

no he has said he will not sign long term deal in columbus. you should know something before talking about it, he had said while in chicago he was looking to get to free agency. and as a result chicago traded him

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
no he has said he will not sign long term deal in columbus. you should know something before talking about it, he had said while in chicago he was looking to get to free agency. and as a result chicago traded him
Unless that was breaking news in the last 2 days hit me with that quote.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017

according to his agent Dan Millstein, there has been no progress in talks and Panarin has no interest in signing long term in Columbus

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
chytil > panarin ainec

rangers hang up at Fili-

images

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Top 10 C >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Matthews>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Laine>>>> Top 10 W

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
according to his agent Dan Millstein, there has been no progress in talks and Panarin has no interest in signing long term in Columbus
Can you give me an article or clip of him saying that? Im more then willing to say you are right if I just missed info... you just gotta give me an actual quote saying wont sign here and Ill be on your side.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Can you give me an article or clip of him saying that? Im more then willing to say you are right if I just missed info... you just gotta give me an actual quote saying wont sign here and Ill be on your side.
the quote is from "the athletic"and its behind a paywall but it is word for word what I quoted. part of it was also referenced here

Panarin not looking to spend eight years in Columbus

“It’s about, does he want to spend the next eight years in Columbus?” Panarin’s Daniel Milstein said in an interview with The Athletic on Sunday. “That’s the only thing at stake right now. If it was a two-year deal we probably would have done it. But it isn’t a two-year deal. It’s [going to] have to be an extended, seven- or eight-year deal put in place.”

he goes on to say that Panarin doesnt want to remain in Columbus, that he's looking for the "Bright lights, Big City.

so to me he appears to be saying NY Or LA it seems that he has a very limited wish list. I guess it depends on what he sees as "Bright lights, Big City." but most would say that means NY Or LA,and no I dont think he's refering to anaheim the Islanders or the Sabres either

Last edited:

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Ok so he didnt say that. Ive read that entire article and it says he is hesitant to sign.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad