Injury Report: Chychrun out Indefinitely After Knee Surgery

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
Oh I gotcha...I misunderstood what you were saying about Chych being ready last year. Thought you meant ready at all, not ready for top 4...and no, I don't think he was ready for top 4 minutes last year. But there were plenty of flashes where I thought he was more noticeable and effective than Golly was. I do think this year when he gets back up to game speed he will be ready and flourish in a top 4 position, but of course it's by no means a guarantee, just my opinion. My feeling on Strome is that if he does start looking like a 1-2C it won't be until past the halfway point of the season. I hope that I'm pleasantly surprised and he clicks with some linemates early and builds some confidence. I really think a Crouse-Strome-Duclair line would be fun to watch and have some good chemistry, but we'll see what happens...
I think by then end of the season there will be no doubts about Strome.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Well, we can feel some relief that Chychrun shouldn't miss the entire season according to Tocchet:

"He's just a beast," Tocchet told SiriusXM NHL Network Radio on Friday. "If this happened to somebody else, you might have a guy who's out for the year. I don't know the timeframe (for his recovery), but it's not for the year. It's something that he's going to bounce back [from]. He's an animal. It's almost like we've got to crank this kid down a little bit."

Of course it could be spin... :skeptic:

Linky-link--Chychrun will play for the Coyotes this season

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
The contrast from the very reserved and measured Tippett is incredible. Nice to hear from people in the org who sound excited about being here.

Carl33

Aug 25, 2007
nice but not so nice...

Ok its nice , kid is a beast and expected to play again this season

but with Tocchet comments, he confirm that the injury is so serious that few other players would'nt play this season with that and confirm the injury is not a 6-8 week recovery

sound like a torn ligament, 6 month recovery

Heal "beast"

cobra427

May 6, 2012
nice but not so nice...

Ok its nice , kid is a beast and expected to play again this season

but with Tocchet comments, he confirm that the injury is so serious that few other players would'nt play this season with that and confirm the injury is not a 6-8 week recovery

sound like a torn ligament, 6 month recovery

Heal "beast"

Agreed, I think it is ACL or MCL. After surgery they could see how damaged it is and make a prognosis. in 6 months, he should be good to go like Stone. It might be until the 18-19 season that he plays and doesn't worry about it.

On another note, part of the problem with putting on too much muscle or weight too fast is that your ligaments don't get stronger at the same rate.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Neither are we. There might be better candidates on waivers later. Or there might not be.

Could be worth it. He does have size and handedness, but I'm guessing this is more of a move to allow him to go to the K (there may be some provisions allowing this if waived from an NHL roster)

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Neither are we. There might be better candidates on waivers later. Or there might not be.

Underrated player I think. Played some big solid minutes for Detroit. I don't know what went wrong. He was injured I think and never got a chance afterwards. Not in Detroit and not in Toronto. Not gonna do much offensively but he's young and solid. Certainly better than Polak or Franson. I'd take him.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Big solid minutes for Detroit??? In last 3 seasons he played as Detroit's 6th,
7th, and 9th D man in TOI. He can't play in the
NHL or he would have been traded by the Leafs or played by the Leafs.
Will he get there, maybe??
Underrated player I think. Played some big solid minutes for Detroit. I don't know what went wrong. He was injured I think and never got a chance afterwards. Not in Detroit and not in Toronto. Not gonna do much offensively but he's young and solid. Certainly better than Polak or Franson. I'd take him.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Big solid minutes for Detroit??? In last 3 seasons he played as Detroit's 6th,
7th, and 9th D man in TOI. He can't play in the
NHL or he would have been traded by the Leafs or played by the Leafs.
Will he get there, maybe??

Skating is the concern. It doesn't matter. He's likely to have his NHL contract mutually terminated today so he can go back to the KHL.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I know I just don't understand how you can see someone as great when they can't play for two teams who's D are rather terrible??
Skating is the concern. It doesn't matter. He's likely to have his NHL contract mutually terminated today so he can go back to the KHL.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ

Let me preface this by saying, I don't generally read anything other than the Coyotes board (or Coyotes related or relevant posts on other boards), so I don't know what Carolina wants or needs. I'm a huge fan of Faulk and will almost always turn on a Carolina game, if the Coyotes aren't playing.

The Canes look to be short on D, but look balanced R and L.

Option #1: give up Schenn and Chychrun for Faulk. Schenn to fill the RH hole and Chychrun as the carrot.

Many will protest and that's fine. I chose him, because I'm not enamored with him and he is still young. He could plateau or as I once mentioned, pull a Tinordi while trying to rush rehab. Worse yet, he may struggle as Stone did and/or not return to full potential.

Option #1: offer Goligoski and Schenn. This gives them a RHD an LHD, veteran presence on their young/er D core and a similar pay situation for Faulk.

In either case we get a RH PP QB and a #1 to play on the second line. Making the second line nearly a second first line. FAulk also gives options for OEL of Hjalm and insurance for injury. Whether one argues for Goligoski, a proven D or Chychrun, a promising D; each have pros and cons. Goligoski and Schenn represent 44 p. Chychrun and Schenn 28 p. Faulk has put up 37p in each of the last two years; neither were all 82g.

Similar to Arizona, Carolina still needs a few contracts and a lot of payroll. McGinn could be thrown in for a pick, to go play with his brother. This would free up dollars for a RW.

OEL/Hjalm
Goli/Faulk
KConn/Clendenning
Wood

or

Oel/Hjalm
Chyk/Faulk
Kconn/Clendening
Wood

If Wood doesn't work, I'd like to Smerek get a few games.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Let me preface this by saying, I don't generally read anything other than the Coyotes board (or Coyotes related or relevant posts on other boards), so I don't know what Carolina wants or needs. I'm a huge fan of Faulk and will almost always turn on a Carolina game, if the Coyotes aren't playing.

The Canes look to be short on D, but look balanced R and L.

Option #1: give up Schenn and Chychrun for Faulk. Schenn to fill the RH hole and Chychrun as the carrot.

Many will protest and that's fine. I chose him, because I'm not enamored with him and he is still young. He could plateau or as I once mentioned, pull a Tinordi while trying to rush rehab. Worse yet, he may struggle as Stone did and/or not return to full potential.

Option #1: offer Goligoski and Schenn. This gives them a RHD an LHD, veteran presence on their young/er D core and a similar pay situation for Faulk.

In either case we get a RH PP QB and a #1 to play on the second line. Making the second line nearly a second first line. FAulk also gives options for OEL of Hjalm and insurance for injury. Whether one argues for Goligoski, a proven D or Chychrun, a promising D; each have pros and cons. Goligoski and Schenn represent 44 p. Chychrun and Schenn 28 p. Faulk has put up 37p in each of the last two years; neither were all 82g.

Similar to Arizona, Carolina still needs a few contracts and a lot of payroll. McGinn could be thrown in for a pick, to go play with his brother. This would free up dollars for a RW.

OEL/Hjalm
Goli/Faulk
KConn/Clendenning
Wood

or

Oel/Hjalm
Chyk/Faulk
Kconn/Clendening
Wood

If Wood doesn't work, I'd like to Smerek get a few games.

The first trade won't get you Faulk, and I wouldn't do the second.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad