Injury Report: Chychrun out Indefinitely After Knee Surgery

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Carolina wouldn't consider either of those deals. That's less than we have up for Stepan and Faulk has much more trade value than Stepan. Faulk's trade value is like OEL's.

Let's be real here. I like Faulk but in no way does he have the same trade value as OEL.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Let's be real here. I like Faulk but in no way does he have the same trade value as OEL.

His trade value is closer to OEL's than to Stepan's. Stepan was worth a top 10 pick and an NHL ready prospect with pro experience and an unreal ceiling offensively. That's a TON have trade value. Faulk has more trade value than that. So the offer needs to be at least better than than what Stepan got. Goligoski and Schenn isn't even close.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
His trade value is closer to OEL's than to Stepan's. Stepan was worth a top 10 pick and an NHL ready prospect with pro experience and an unreal ceiling offensively. That's a TON have trade value. Faulk has more trade value than that. So the offer needs to be at least better than than what Stepan got. Goligoski and Schenn isn't even close.

I agree with your main point that Faulk would be more costly to acquire, but that top 10 pick and blue chip prospect brought back Stepan and Raanta. A good comp for Raanta would be Cam Talbot, another goalie who looked ready for a starting role after putting up good numbers behind Lundqvist. Talbot and a 7th brought back a 2nd, a 3rd and later 7th. Let's call it a 2nd and a 3rd. DeAngelo was worth a 2nd when the Coyotes acquired him and probably improved his stock a bit in the interim, so let's call his value a 2nd and a 3rd.

That basically means it was DeAngelo for Raanta and Stepan for the 7th overall in a relatively weak draft. It's close to what the Coyotes gave up for Daymond Langkow (a 2nd and a 1st), and he should provide comparable value.

Faulk is a dangerous offensive defensemen, but he's not in OEL's tier. His shot is better, but everything else is a little to a lot behind OEL. Given his contract and Carolina's depth on D, I think they'd be willing to part with him for a fair price, one that's not too far beyond what the Coyotes gave up for Stepan. Schenn and Goligoski doesn't come close to getting it done, though. You're probably looking at Duclair and next year's 1st, at least.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
The first trade won't get you Faulk, and I wouldn't do the second.

Thanks for your help. Your question was flip; doubtful you were even looking for an answer. Mine was was prefaced with my overall ignorance; perhaps naivety. That said, it serves as a starting point.

Since many of you don't like the Chychrun trade, it's obviously near the value. Based on the responses; it, the other, or a different combo (Duclair and a 1st) are obviously a starting point and could get the Coyotes there.

Duclair can go IMO. Hope and faith are for church, not winning in sport. So add him to either scenario. What's it worth? This year's D corp as a whole does't excite, as much as the individual pieces do.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Huh? If I'm reading this right, it has OEL bouncing between 13 and 18 for each of the last seven seasons, whereas Faulk had a high of 12.3 but has been below 10 every season otherwise. Faulk has been worse than OEL, worse than Goligoski, and right around Connor Murphy for the last few years.

Your're right. I think I read the wring chart.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I agree with your main point that Faulk would be more costly to acquire, but that top 10 pick and blue chip prospect brought back Stepan and Raanta. A good comp for Raanta would be Cam Talbot, another goalie who looked ready for a starting role after putting up good numbers behind Lundqvist. Talbot and a 7th brought back a 2nd, a 3rd and later 7th. Let's call it a 2nd and a 3rd. DeAngelo was worth a 2nd when the Coyotes acquired him and probably improved his stock a bit in the interim, so let's call his value a 2nd and a 3rd.

That basically means it was DeAngelo for Raanta and Stepan for the 7th overall in a relatively weak draft. It's close to what the Coyotes gave up for Daymond Langkow (a 2nd and a 1st), and he should provide comparable value.

Faulk is a dangerous offensive defensemen, but he's not in OEL's tier. His shot is better, but everything else is a little to a lot behind OEL. Given his contract and Carolina's depth on D, I think they'd be willing to part with him for a fair price, one that's not too far beyond what the Coyotes gave up for Stepan. Schenn and Goligoski doesn't come close to getting it done, though. You're probably looking at Duclair and next year's 1st, at least.

If Fletcher had given the 2002 1st instead of the option to defer the first for Langkow to the generational talent 2003 draft we all would have supported the trade. The Stepan deal with the 2017 draftwould be more in line with the 2002 draft.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
So people think they need a defenseman (true), but don't want Demers because he's not an upgrade on Schenn (hahaha), and they obviously aren't willing to give anything up to get a defenseman better than that. If Chayka is thinking the same way, we're in for an even longer season than I thought.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
So people think they need a defenseman (true), but don't want Demers because he's not an upgrade on Schenn (hahaha), and they obviously aren't willing to give anything up to get a defenseman better than that. If Chayka is thinking the same way, we're in for an even longer season than I thought.

Demers isn't bad but you can't trade a righty now...and be it to acquire another righty...it wouldn't make sense. Also, the current team isn't a Demers away from being competitive and surely not the difference between Schenn and Demers. Coyotes need at least one top right shooting defender and forward each without losing one of last seasons important roster players or Fischer. Otherwise I'm pretty confident that the Coyotes are in for last place. The roster and basically the whole system as it is now is a complete mess. Created by Chayka. He better have a plan how to fix this.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Chychrun's twitter avi is him in a throwback sweater which is just classy. Too bad we won't have them this year :(

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Hanging out with DeAngelo.

I'm no doctor, but wouldn't / shouldn't Chick's leg have a brace on, or him on crutches or something? :dunno: He is sitting all crunched up. Those seats are painful even for good knees. I mean, two weeks from surgery and he is flying around the country sitting is those cramped airline seats and now attending baseball games and probably climbing stairs.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'm no doctor, but wouldn't / shouldn't Chick's leg have a brace on, or him on crutches or something? :dunno: He is sitting all crunched up. Those seats are painful even for good knees. I mean, two weeks from surgery and he is flying around the country sitting is those cramped airline seats and now attending baseball games and probably climbing stairs.

Looks like they're at the very top of the lower level which mean probably an elevator to the main concourse. Only one knee is visible so it's possible it's the left knee that had the surgery. A guy at my office just had his knee operated on for the second time. He was back at work within two weeks and using stairs and sitting in an office chair all day.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Looks like they're at the very top of the lower level which mean probably an elevator to the main concourse. Only one knee is visible so it's possible it's the left knee that had the surgery. A guy at my office just had his knee operated on for the second time. He was back at work within two weeks and using stairs and sitting in an office chair all day.

Like I said, I'm no doctor, but I think these pictures might mean his surgery was not as bad as most of us speculated.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Dear, for a second I thought Chychrun was hanging out with Zach Parise :laugh:
Is it just me or does Anthony really look like Zach's younger brother?:D

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
That photo was carefully taken. I would have wanted to see what kind of brace he was wearing. I notice that he is in the top row so he didn't have to climb the steps. Absolutely no way to tell anything about the knee from this photo. Well done.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
That photo was carefully taken. I would have wanted to see what kind of brace he was wearing. I notice that he is in the top row so he didn't have to climb the steps. Absolutely no way to tell anything about the knee from this photo. Well done.

Absolutely. I had the same thought. No coincidence this appears now and in that particular way.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I understand, but I would think there are different levels of injury to the knee. In any event, I think seeing him travel so quickly after surgery is a good sign.

Absolutely. I had the same thought. No coincidence this appears now and in that particular way.

You guys really think the Coyotes told him to make sure any photos you cover your leg? Look, all I'm saying is that after major surgery his knee still has to be sore so why travel on a airline with cramped seats, or maybe it was not as bad as we first thought. Didn't we see Stone walk around on crutches after his surgery?

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
You guys really think the Coyotes told him to make sure any photos you cover your leg? Look, all I'm saying is that after major surgery his knee still has to be sore so why travel on a airline with cramped seats, or maybe it was not as bad as we first thought. Didn't we see Stone walk around on crutches after his surgery?

They may have mentioned it, or he figured it out himself. In any event, it probably isn't a coincidence.

I highly doubt he flew in coach, so the seats were probably wonderfully spacious with plenty of leg room (if he flew on an airline). More than likely, he chartered a flight with built-in recliners

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad