Injury Report: Chychrun out Indefinitely After Knee Surgery

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I trained like an animal all of my life in my sport and can't think for the life of me what jumping up and down on boxes will do for you in any sport.

box jumps have been used by athletes for years. Very prevalent in NHL, NFL, and Olympic athletes. Trains explosiveness, balance, strength and overall athletic ability. I am sure every NHLer has done a variation of box jumps as part of their workout regimen

https://www.t-nation.com/training/stop-doing-box-jumps-like-a-jackass

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Of course box jumps are beneficial. Exploding power through the legs is obviously important for a hockey player. I still think it's ridiculous that we're all talking about box jumps because that happens to be the one 10 second clip of training we've seen and he was injured training, so obviously that's how he became injured. It's silly. Like he wakes up at 6am every morning and starts box jumping and doesn't stop until dinner time.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Not to be another Hinterland, but I have to be negative about this. Had Chick needed minor surgery for a meniscus the Coyotes would have gone out of their way to reassure everybody that Chychrun would be back on the ice soon. This looks bad to me.

Exactly. I'm no doc but as far as I know, meniscus is about the only knee surgery that isn't serious. You can walk right after the surgery. But it wasn't meniscus anyway. Chychrun is too young for that. Could be meniscus in combinations with ligaments of course. Ligaments are tricky. I needed surgery at his age. I'm done skating. Glad I can walk and even run. Ok. It was my foot and not the knee but I know how it feels like. A friend of mine had ACL and MCL and I don't think he looks much better than me. Chychrun is a pro hockey player...whatever he has, he'll be fine. But it's definitely way to early for a knee surgery. He has to be careful now.

Last edited:

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Of course box jumps are beneficial. Exploding power through the legs is obviously important for a hockey player. I still think it's ridiculous that we're all talking about box jumps because that happens to be the one 10 second clip of training we've seen and he was injured training, so obviously that's how he became injured. It's silly. Like he wakes up at 6am every morning and starts box jumping and doesn't stop until dinner time.

It's just that there's an obvious risk with that particular exercise. We know he does it and we know he pushes himself on it and now he's hurt. It's definitely a stretch to assume he fell doing that exercise, but that won't stop me from blurting out my assumptions on the internet.

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
It's just that there's an obvious risk with that particular exercise. We know he does it and we know he pushes himself on it and now he's hurt. It's definitely a stretch to assume he fell doing that exercise, but that won't stop me from blurting out my assumptions on the internet.

There's risk with every single exercise, squats, dead lift, cleans, etc. Every single exercise a person does can hurt them because their pushing their strength to a limit so that they can be stronger. Working out is inherently dangerous

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Correct me if I am wrong, but hasn't our team generally been very secretive regarding injuries and timelines anyhow? Indefinitely has a degree of scare to it, but I see this as being a situation where he had a procedure done and we are about 6 weeks from training camp opening. By that point in time, we will have a better idea of when he can start rehabbing or if it is a larger issue. It may have even been an exploratory type of surgery to repair a partial tear of one area, and other areas may also have damage, but simply need rest to heal.

I am a little less pessimistic that this is a big thing that will keep him out for a long time, but I could be very wrong.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I am a little less pessimistic that this is a big thing that will keep him out for a long time, but I could be very wrong.

I guess we'll see by other moves made before the season begins. If we end up signing another LD, then we can assume it will be longer term. If we don't sign anyone, it's probably a shorter term recovery time. Currently, our depth at LD (NHL defensemen) is pretty sparse, but Connauton would be fine for a couple of months, if necessary.

Of course this is in addition to the RD and RW we need, but I could see them go with Clandening/Wood at least to start out the season. Admittedly, I'd like a decent #2 RHD, but there just may not be any options out there at the moment.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
The Coyotes are supposed to release more info on Chychrun at the start of camp on September 14th. What sort of info isn't known but they probably will give some sort of timeline as to his rehab.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
The Coyotes are supposed to release more info on Chychrun at the start of camp on September 14th. What sort of info isn't known but they probably will give some sort of timeline as to his rehab.

Which is fine, but I doubt they will hold off in acquiring a replacement if it's too serious. The point is, if they make a move for a LD, it probably indicates that it is a longer term injury. If they don't make a move, we can expect a speedier recovery (Connauton isn't horrible). Either way, I doubt we see Chychrun on opening night.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Which is fine, but I doubt they will hold off in acquiring a replacement if it's too serious. The point is, if they make a move for a LD, it probably indicates that it is a longer term injury. If they don't make a move, we can expect a speedier recovery (Connauton isn't horrible). Either way, I doubt we see Chychrun on opening night.

I'm not expecting Chychrun back before December regardless. Unless it was a very small tear then he might recover a bit quicker but the question is.... is it worth making a trade for short term relief now or just ride it out??

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
I'm not expecting Chychrun back before December regardless. Unless it was a very small tear then he might recover a bit quicker but the question is.... is it worth making a trade for short term relief now or just ride it out??

Make a trade, or pick up from the waiver wire at the end of camp.

Aside from the injury, I always believe that we should always be careful with our expectations with a young player in a sophomore year, particularly when he had a great rookie season.

We need one or two more seasoned D in my mind

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ

KConn is a 6 year NHL'r who has never played a full year. He averages 32 games a year. His stats are all over the place; varying ice time, shooting percentage, blocked shots ect. I'd like to see him get a real shot and consistent play. He doesn't give the puck away much and takes a penalty every second game or so.

I suspect, had Chychrun been returned to the O or was eligible for the A, KConn would have had that shot last year. Maybe this is his chance? He starts the season. Chychrun gets better, does a conditioning stint in Tucson. KConn performs and Chyk is developed there.

Or, same as above, except young Jake gets frustrated, slams some Winstrol to aid his recovery, and winds up like Tinordi...in Tucson...with a pissed-off father.

Last edited:

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
KConn is a 6 year NHL'r who has never played a full year. He averages 32 games a year. His stats all all over the place; varying ice time, shooting percentage, blocked shots ect. I'd like to see him get a real shot and consistent play. He doesn't give the puck away much and takes a penalty every second game or so.

I suspect, had Chychrun been returned to the O or was eligible for the A, KConn would have had that shot last year. Maybe this is his chance? He starts the season. Chychrun gets better, does a conditioning stint in Tucson. KConn performs and Chyk is developed there.

Or, same as above, except young Jake gets frustrated slams some Winstrol to aid his recovery and winds up like Tinordi...in Tucson and with a pissed of father.

This, KConn isn't a bad player from my perspective. He filled in for forward when we were down, and didn't he pick up a large amount of ice time when OEL was down? That was a long while ago, so I could be wrong(normally am). I'd rather just stick with what we have now, because what are we going to have to give up in order to find another person at this point?

Rather hold the assets we do have, and put KConn out there, than give up something of value down the road for a now mentality. We weren't pegged as contenders this year, so there is no point in going out and trying to satisfy the position with a reasonable replacement already there.

I hope he gets healthy though, because he's a treat to watch.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Exactly. I'm no doc but as far as I know, meniscus is about the only knee surgery that isn't serious. You can walk right after the surgery. But it wasn't meniscus anyway. Chychrun is too young for that. Could be meniscus in combinations with ligaments of course. Ligaments are tricky. I needed surgery at his age. I'm done skating. Glad I can walk and even run. Ok. It was my foot and not the knee but I know how it feels like. A friend of mine had ACL and MCL and I don't think he looks much better than me. Chychrun is a pro hockey player...whatever he has, he'll be fine. But it's definitely way to early for a knee surgery. He has to be careful now.

I'm no doc either, but had a friend who tore his meniscus running. Yes, he had surgery in the morning and was back in class in the afternoon (a little loopy, but he was there), but his doc told him his running days were over. He didn't listen, and last time I checked he was on surgery #5 on the same knee to clean up the deteriorating meniscus.

I hope Chychrun's injury, whatever it is, allows FULL recovery.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This, KConn isn't a bad player from my perspective. He filled in for forward when we were down, and didn't he pick up a large amount of ice time when OEL was down? That was a long while ago, so I could be wrong(normally am). I'd rather just stick with what we have now, because what are we going to have to give up in order to find another person at this point?

Rather hold the assets we do have, and put KConn out there, than give up something of value down the road for a now mentality. We weren't pegged as contenders this year, so there is no point in going out and trying to satisfy the position with a reasonable replacement already there.

I hope he gets healthy though, because he's a treat to watch.

That may be how it works out.

I'm no doc either, but had a friend who tore his meniscus running. Yes, he had surgery in the morning and was back in class in the afternoon (a little loopy, but he was there), but his doc told him his running days were over. He didn't listen, and last time I checked he was on surgery #5 on the same knee to clean up the deteriorating meniscus.

I hope Chychrun's injury, whatever it is, allows FULL recovery.

I think I read somewhere that he is expected to have a full recovery. I guess, in reality, what else are they suppose to say.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
We weren't pegged as contenders this year...

Have we ever been? Even the year after the WCF run I don't recall any of the so called analysts picking the Coyotes to do much (to their credit, they were right :cry:).

The day the Coyotes are talked about as a contender I'm stocking the fallout shelter, cuz Armageddon is near!

P.S. I pick the Coyotes to make the playoffs every year. (One day I'll be right, well, maybe...nothing is certain :shakehead)

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Hopefully his age will improve his odds of a full recovery. All I know is that my ankle and knee still pester me from high school injuries (from when I was 14--ankle & 18--knee) and I'm in my 40s. Of course the knee had more than athletics-related injuries (3 total--only 1 from the sport).

My situation is much different from his, since I never had the size, all-around fitness, or money for surgery (which probably wasn't necessary) or physical therapy (which probably would have helped) to come close to playing beyond high school in the sport (football).

Since there are relatively low expectations for the Coyotes this season, I'd be fine if we waited a month or so more than necessary to insure his recovery and avoid re-injury.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I find the way the Coyotes are handling Chychrun's injury to be unhelpful to the team at best, self destructive at worst. The fan base has been holding it's collective breath ever since word of the injury came out. Information, such as type and extent of injury and expected recovery time should have been released to put the fans at ease.

There is no competitive advantage to keeping injuries secret in this day and age. It's not as if no team has put a camera on Chychrun during his normal daily activities, slipped a guy a $100 bill for info on where he works out, or a hospital orderly for the information that they want. In this day and age, the opposing teams know just what is going on. The Coyotes are only making the fans suffer.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I find the way the Coyotes are handling Chychrun's injury to be unhelpful to the team at best, self destructive at worst
The Coyotes are only making the fans suffer.

Well, in their defense, maybe they are waiting to see how much he recovers in the first month to better predict the amount of time he'll lose in the regular season. The fact that they haven't made an additional move (signing or trade) at the position seems to indicate that the injury isn't too serious (meaning season/career ending).

It also makes sense to step away from the media at this point (if they aren't planning any major moves) until camp (I'm not sure how many interviews they are doing), and then give a better idea of the team and what they are planning once everyone is in place and they see how everyone's doing upon their return to camp.

While the injury is somewhat disconcerting, I'm fine with waiting until camp for further information; after all, we should all have a life separate from hockey every once in a while :)

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
You don't think GM's leverage injuries and need in trade talks? Is that somehow not a competitive advantage?

What do you want them to say?
"Our defenseman just went down with a nasty injury. It'll be at least half the season, and we were already dangerously thin at D. I desperately need to make a move for a defenseman."

It'd be like going to buy a car and announcing you have to buy a car today because your car is toast and you need to get to work tomorrow or you lose your job.

Talk about making the fans suffer...

The fact you think not announcing the injury to you the fan is somehow "self-destructive" is sort of funny, too. It's the off season. Teams don't talk much about injuries anyway, nevermind the off season. Is it self-destructive that they don't announce exactly what their offers to free agents have been this week, too?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I think they either don't know the extent of the injury or the recovery time yet. I doubt it has anything to do with posturing for a trade. We have a solid 1LHD in OEL and a solid 2LHD in Goose. Chych is a 3LHD we can replace with Kconn or whoever. Missing a third pairing D won't kill us.

What we are desperate for is a 2RHD. The problem is that top 4 RHD's are priced at a premium because they are in short supply. There are a number of 3RHD's like Schenn that are playing as 2RHD's. There are very few 2RHD's playing as 3RHD's.

The question to me isn't how do we replace Chychrun or how long is he out. The question is are we ok with Schenn as a 2RHD or do we pay the price for a real upgrade (somebody much better than schenn/not Demers)?

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
I think they either don't know the extent of the injury or the recovery time yet. I doubt it has anything to do with posturing for a trade. We have a solid 1LHD in OEL and a solid 2LHD in Goose. Chych is a 3LHD we can replace with Kconn or whoever. Missing a third pairing D won't kill us.

What we are desperate for is a 2RHD. The problem is that top 4 RHD's are priced at a premium because they are in short supply. There are a number of 3RHD's like Schenn that are playing as 2RHD's. There are very few 2RHD's playing as 3RHD's.

The question to me isn't how do we replace Chychrun or how long is he out. The question is are we ok with Schenn as a 2RHD or do we pay the price for a real upgrade (somebody much better than schenn/not Demers)?

It's a tough question really. When Chychrun is back I think they'll use him as a 2LHD and put Goligoski with him on the right side...I think they've made it clear that that's their intent so we'll see how that works out. Golly has experience playing on that side and having those guys in the top 4 sounds really good actually, even if there isn't a RH shot there. The only move I would be willing to make on the defensive end at this point is a clear upgrade to the right side, like Trouba. If we could have OEL/Hammer and Chychrun/Trouba I would be beside myself. Other than that, I'd stand pat and go with OEL/Hammer and Chychrun/Goligoski...going out and getting a Demers type player I don't think is going to accomplish anything meaningful for us.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
It's a tough question really. When Chychrun is back I think they'll use him as a 2LHD and put Goligoski with him on the right side...I think they've made it clear that that's their intent so we'll see how that works out. Golly has experience playing on that side and having those guys in the top 4 sounds really good actually, even if there isn't a RH shot there. The only move I would be willing to make on the defensive end at this point is a clear upgrade to the right side, like Trouba. If we could have OEL/Hammer and Chychrun/Trouba I would be beside myself. Other than that, I'd stand pat and go with OEL/Hammer and Chychrun/Goligoski...going out and getting a Demers type player I don't think is going to accomplish anything meaningful for us.

Has the organization said this? I recall only reading it here. I hope this isn't their intention, as I didn't like seeing him on that side last year.

Talk about making the fans suffer...

The fact you think not announcing the injury to you the fan is somehow "self-destructive" is sort of funny, too. It's the off season. Teams don't talk much about injuries anyway, nevermind the off season. Is it self-destructive that they don't announce exactly what their offers to free agents have been this week, too?

Comical. I'm guessing those of us here are fringe, extreme fans; representing a minority of Coyotes fan's and STH's. It's doubtful many "fan's" know of care.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad