Injury Report: Chychrun out Indefinitely After Knee Surgery

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
He doesn't have a contract. I think that was part of the reason he was included IIRC. Probably doesn't sign with us after his senior year either.

OriginalJetsCoyotes

Mar 7, 2016
Hanmer, Ontario
So this may come as a stupid question but if this is from over-working, whatever muscle he worked to get he would have to reaquire right? Basically a summer wasted or what? I've never been through something like this so I have no idea.

Either way, hope this doesn't plague the rest of his career and he learned a lesson from this.

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
I don't know that any news has come out about what he was doing that caused the injury.
Id be willing to bet it was doing some intense cuts on the ice..fast skating with a lot of moves and it gave way.
Ive always thought the excersize twitter episodes we see these guys do are for show.
I trained like an animal all of my life in my sport and can't think for the life of me what jumping up and down on boxes will do for you in any sport.
Or those joke episodes where Shane Doan and his son were doing those mickey mouse pull downs together.
When these guys really train its not for public consumption and I'll bet what he was doing was on the ice and intense.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I don't know that any news has come out about what he was doing that caused the injury.

...and can't think for the life of me what jumping up and down on boxes will do for you in any sport.

I'd agree there, but from the limited details we have, a missed landing could certainly mess up a knee pretty bad (I'm thinking one foot missing or buckling on the box edge). Of course a skating injury could tear things up a bit as well.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Oh **** me.
"out indefinitely" means to me that hes done for the season. Maybe needed an ACL and MCL repair.

The Coyotes had a very narrow window to make the playoffs before this injury. Chayka should do a gut check and see if the team wouldn't be better tanking one more year by bringing up another 5 rookies, drafting high once again and aiming for the playoffs next season.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Indefinitely sounds a lot scarier than it actually is. Let's relax.

Well, he had a knee injury and those are almost always serious...it's also quite early to have knee surgery with 19. I wouldn't underestimate this.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
If he's torn his ACL, that's easily 6 months out, could be upwards of 8. Say it ain't so, Chicken.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I am hoping because the surgery was so quick after the injury that it is a torn meniscus repaired with arthroscopic surgery. 6 weeks is the standard recovery time (with a high degree of variables).

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
All I can think about is the golf cart accident that derailed Erik Johnson's career.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I am hoping because the surgery was so quick after the injury that it is a torn meniscus repaired with arthroscopic surgery. 6 weeks is the standard recovery time (with a high degree of variables).

Not to be another Hinterland, but I have to be negative about this. Had Chick needed minor surgery for a meniscus the Coyotes would have gone out of their way to reassure everybody that Chychrun would be back on the ice soon. This looks bad to me.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
So this may come as a stupid question but if this is from over-working, whatever muscle he worked to get he would have to reaquire right? Basically a summer wasted or what? I've never been through something like this so I have no idea.

Either way, hope this doesn't plague the rest of his career and he learned a lesson from this.

Yes he would have to reacquire it due to atrophy from not being able to use his knee/legs. However, he's still in his teens and young so he should regain his strength/mass at a better rate than an older guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad