Injury Report: Chychrun out Indefinitely After Knee Surgery

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Has the organization said this? I recall only reading it here. I hope this isn't their intention, as I didn't like seeing him on that side last year.

I can't remember if specifically the organization stated that, but I know a few close to the team have. Craig Morgan and I'm pretty sure someone else, can't recall who, have stated that that's been their intention going into the season. I know I've heard it from multiple sources close to the team...

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
I know Sakic is hard to deal with but what would it take to get Barrie? Would a blockbuster trade for him and Duchene be easier to pull off? Problem is we are decently set up at center now. I know they want a dman and if they give up Barrie, they will need two so there is probably nothing here we could do but brighter minds then mine post on this board so I was just wondering if there are any good suggestions.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Has the organization said this? I recall only reading it here. I hope this isn't their intention, as I didn't like seeing him on that side last year.

He did play on the right a few games last season, so it's not too much of a leap. Also, when the NHL did their piece on the Coyotes, they had Goligoski-Chychrun as the second pairing (so perhaps they'll try Chychrun on the right once he returns). Admittedly, I believe they also had Rieder on the first line with Domi and Stepan.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
You don't think GM's leverage injuries and need in trade talks? Is that somehow not a competitive advantage?

What do you want them to say?
"Our defenseman just went down with a nasty injury. It'll be at least half the season, and we were already dangerously thin at D. I desperately need to make a move for a defenseman."

It'd be like going to buy a car and announcing you have to buy a car today because your car is toast and you need to get to work tomorrow or you lose your job.

Talk about making the fans suffer...

The fact you think not announcing the injury to you the fan is somehow "self-destructive" is sort of funny, too. It's the off season. Teams don't talk much about injuries anyway, nevermind the off season. Is it self-destructive that they don't announce exactly what their offers to free agents have been this week, too?

You think that the Coyotes are actually able to keep other GMs in the dark about the extent of the injury? I don't.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
It's a tough question really. When Chychrun is back I think they'll use him as a 2LHD and put Goligoski with him on the right side...I think they've made it clear that that's their intent so we'll see how that works out. Golly has experience playing on that side and having those guys in the top 4 sounds really good actually, even if there isn't a RH shot there. The only move I would be willing to make on the defensive end at this point is a clear upgrade to the right side, like Trouba. If we could have OEL/Hammer and Chychrun/Trouba I would be beside myself. Other than that, I'd stand pat and go with OEL/Hammer and Chychrun/Goligoski...going out and getting a Demers type player I don't think is going to accomplish anything meaningful for us.

Last year, the Coyotes played Schenn as a 1RHD rather than Goose playing the right side with OEL. I don't think Goose moving to the right side is a great long term solution. With in juries, sure he can fill in. I also think we would be asking a lot of Chych to play in the top 4. He was ok last year but scratched for a number of games. Chych might not be ready yet.

Goose/Chych would be a stretch as part of our top 4D. If we land a legitimate 2RHD, we then have all kinds of options and can bring Chych along when he is ready.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Let's move Schenn+Asset for Demers or Green and pick up McIlrath for something very minor. Or Polak? How's his leg? Trade Schenn+ for Green/Demers and sign Polak. He and Clendening can split time as Polak gets back into the swing of things and Clendening adjusts to being an NHL regular. Just alternate games.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Let's move Schenn+Asset for Demers or Green and pick up McIlrath for something very minor. Or Polak? How's his leg? Trade Schenn+ for Green/Demers and sign Polak. He and Clendening can split time as Polak gets back into the swing of things and Clendening adjusts to being an NHL regular. Just alternate games.

I really don't think it's enough of an upgrade to even bother with, or to justify the salary increase. Give me Trouba or Faulk and I'll gladly take it but other than I wouldn't do anything else with the D right now...

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014

This is just rearranging deck chairs.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
I really don't think it's enough of an upgrade to even bother with, or to justify the salary increase. Give me Trouba or Faulk and I'll gladly take it but other than I wouldn't do anything else with the D right now...

This would be my thinking as well. But the only thing the Jets need is a goalie which we don't have to give and so Faulk is a better possibility.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You don't think GM's leverage injuries and need in trade talks? Is that somehow not a competitive advantage?

What do you want them to say?
"Our defenseman just went down with a nasty injury. It'll be at least half the season, and we were already dangerously thin at D. I desperately need to make a move for a defenseman."

It'd be like going to buy a car and announcing you have to buy a car today because your car is toast and you need to get to work tomorrow or you lose your job.

Talk about making the fans suffer...

The fact you think not announcing the injury to you the fan is somehow "self-destructive" is sort of funny, too. It's the off season. Teams don't talk much about injuries anyway, nevermind the off season. Is it self-destructive that they don't announce exactly what their offers to free agents have been this week, too?

Correct. The Coyotes gain nothing by anyone about Chychrun's injury.

I think they either don't know the extent of the injury or the recovery time yet. I doubt it has anything to do with posturing for a trade. We have a solid 1LHD in OEL and a solid 2LHD in Goose. Chych is a 3LHD we can replace with Kconn or whoever. Missing a third pairing D won't kill us.

What we are desperate for is a 2RHD. The problem is that top 4 RHD's are priced at a premium because they are in short supply. There are a number of 3RHD's like Schenn that are playing as 2RHD's. There are very few 2RHD's playing as 3RHD's.

The question to me isn't how do we replace Chychrun or how long is he out. The question is are we ok with Schenn as a 2RHD or do we pay the price for a real upgrade (somebody much better than schenn/not Demers)?

The Coyotes know exactly the extent of Chychrun's injury and broadcasting his injury the Coyotes lose all kinds of leverage in a trade. It doesn't matter that we need a RD, as other teams know this and if they know Chick is out for the year the prices just went up. With Chick out we lose some flexibility.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
The worst thing we can do is panic.

I agree.

If I were Chayka, I would panic. The whole system is a mess and he's the one who created it. I can't wait to see how he fixes that. The hole was pretty deep already and with Chychrun's injury it just got a whole lot deeper.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Last year, the Coyotes played Schenn as a 1RHD rather than Goose playing the right side with OEL. I don't think Goose moving to the right side is a great long term solution. With in juries, sure he can fill in. I also think we would be asking a lot of Chych to play in the top 4. He was ok last year but scratched for a number of games. Chych might not be ready yet.

Goose/Chych would be a stretch as part of our top 4D. If we land a legitimate 2RHD, we then have all kinds of options and can bring Chych along when he is ready.

Come on Cobra, think that one out.:) IF Gogo would have been paired with OEL that would have moved Chick to the second pairing where you have stated he is not ready. Schenn played first pairing out of necessity not because of talent. We all know we need a RD, but getting one is easier said than done and I hope we don't panic and give up young assets for a player like Demers. I believe the Coyotes were really depending on Chick taking that next step this year. This injury hurts more than most want to admit.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If I were Chayka, I would panic. The whole system is a mess and he's the one who created it. I can't wait to see how he fixes that. The hole was pretty deep already and with Chychrun's injury it just got a whole lot deeper.

The hole was deep on the RD but now it's weaker overall. We lost Murphy but gained Hammer which is a big big upgrade, but by trading DeAngelo I thought it hurt us more, unless they think Wood can play third pairing.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Correct. The Coyotes gain nothing by anyone about Chychrun's injury.

The Coyotes know exactly the extent of Chychrun's injury and broadcasting his injury the Coyotes lose all kinds of leverage in a trade. It doesn't matter that we need a RD, as other teams know this and if they know Chick is out for the year the prices just went up. With Chick out we lose some flexibility.

Disagree. Because our 19 year old third pairing D that was healthy scratched and got limited minutes is out, has nothing to do with the price for a 2RHD. They are expensive regardless and there aren't many available. Plenty of teams are looking for a 2RHD better and hopefully cheaper then Demers.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Come on Cobra, think that one out.:) IF Gogo would have been paired with OEL that would have moved Chick to the second pairing where you have stated he is not ready. Schenn played first pairing out of necessity not because of talent. We all know we need a RD, but getting one is easier said than done and I hope we don't panic and give up young assets for a player like Demers. I believe the Coyotes were really depending on Chick taking that next step this year. This injury hurts more than most want to admit.

Jakey, let the ether wear off:) Expecting Chych to step in a be a top 4D is like counting on Strome to secure a 1C/2C role with the club this year. Both might happen or might not happen but neither is a lock. Chych wasn't ready last year and might not be ready this year, nothing has changed that we can point at to think he will be a top 4D for sure this year.

We can depend on Chych to be a top 4D, Domi to get 70 points, Strome to be a 1C/2C, keller to get 40 points as a wing, and Duclair to get 40 points all this year. This is all wishful thinking and I guarantee some of these young guys will disappoint this year or get injured like Chych. We can count on 50 points+ from Stepan and Chalmers to be a solid 1RHD, but all the young guys, new coach, different system, new goalie is all guesswork and speculation.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
The hole was deep on the RD but now it's weaker overall. We lost Murphy but gained Hammer which is a big big upgrade, but by trading DeAngelo I thought it hurt us more, unless they think Wood can play third pairing.

Trading for Hjalmarsson is something you can do if you're a contender and have enough right shooting defenders in the system who can move that puck, run a PP etc.
Chayka did everything wrong. He weakened the team but traded for an aging defender. He traded another righty for a lefty instead of acquiring/signing the much needed righty on defense. Same thing upfront. He let go every single righty. The only ones left now are a rookie and a two way Center for which Chayka gave up the only puck moving RD he had :shakehead

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Jakey, let the ether wear off:) Expecting Chych to step in a be a top 4D is like counting on Strome to secure a 1C/2C role with the club this year. Both might happen or might not happen but neither is a lock. Chych wasn't ready last year and might not be ready this year, nothing has changed that we can point at to think he will be a top 4D for sure this year.

We can depend on Chych to be a top 4D, Domi to get 70 points, Strome to be a 1C/2C, keller to get 40 points as a wing, and Duclair to get 40 points all this year. This is all wishful thinking and I guarantee some of these young guys will disappoint this year or get injured like Chych. We can count on 50 points+ from Stepan and Chalmers to be a solid 1RHD, but all the young guys, new coach, different system, new goalie is all guesswork and speculation.

Dude, you're pretty off base. Of course most of these things are largely speculation, but there is a certain element of it that's "educated speculation." Saying that hoping for Chych to be a top 4 D is the same thing as counting on Strome to be a 1 or 2C this year is ridiculous. Strome played 7 games last year and obviously wasn't ready...I think this year he will be. Chych is a different case, and saying he wasn't ready last year is just false. You think Dave Tippett of all people would play an 18 year old defenseman if he wasn't really ready? I think not. Not to mention the fact that his play showed that he was more than ready...and I think this year when he gets back and gets up to speed he'll prove to be more than capable in a top 4 role. He's a future #1 caliber defenseman who is ahead of his age group by a long way...

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Trading for Hjalmarsson is something you can do if you're a contender and have enough right shooting defenders in the system who can move that puck, run a PP etc.
Chayka did everything wrong. He weakened the team but traded for an aging defender. He traded another righty for a lefty instead of acquiring/signing the much needed righty on defense. Same thing upfront. He let go every single righty. The only ones left now are a rookie and a two way Center for which Chayka gave up the only puck moving RD he had :shakehead

Trading for Hammer is also something you can do if you're hoping to compliment your young core and give them some support...as well as give you superstar player a suitable partner that allows him to maximize his game. Trading for players aged 30 and older isn't exclusively reserved for contenders...get a grip man. Also, I'd rather have better players on the roster than the perfect mix of left and right shots. Do we need more right shots? Yes. Would I rather have Murphy and DeAngelo than Hammer, Stepan and Raanta...absolutely not. Give me the better players and we'll figure out the left/right thing as we go.

SpaceCoyote

Jul 10, 2013
Wasting away
He's a future #1 caliber defenseman who is ahead of his age group by a long way...

I agreed with you up until this point. Just because your genetics mature you physical to the NHL level by 18 doesn't ensure you to be a future #1 D. Take Schenn for example, high draft pick, played in the NHL in the draft year, physically dominate but never progressed the other aspects of his game. I personally need to see more from Chychrun before I see him as a future top pairing.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
I agreed with you up until this point. Just because your genetics mature you physical to the NHL level by 18 doesn't ensure you to be a future #1 D. Take Schenn for example, high draft pick, played in the NHL in the draft year, physically dominate but never progressed the other aspects of his game. I personally need to see more from Chychrun before I see him as a future top pairing.

Yeah fair enough...that's just my personal feeling on the kid. More because of his mental game than his physical though. He seems to be extremely mentally mature and is willing to do whatever it takes. My gut feeling is that he was probably borderline training TOO hard and that's what caused this injury. He wants to be great, not just good, and I think his determination will get him there.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Dude, you're pretty off base. Of course most of these things are largely speculation, but there is a certain element of it that's "educated speculation." Saying that hoping for Chych to be a top 4 D is the same thing as counting on Strome to be a 1 or 2C this year is ridiculous. Strome played 7 games last year and obviously wasn't ready...I think this year he will be. Chych is a different case, and saying he wasn't ready last year is just false. You think Dave Tippett of all people would play an 18 year old defenseman if he wasn't really ready? I think not. Not to mention the fact that his play showed that he was more than ready...and I think this year when he gets back and gets up to speed he'll prove to be more than capable in a top 4 role. He's a future #1 caliber defenseman who is ahead of his age group by a long way...

I didn't say chych wasn't ready to be in the NHL last year. I am saying he wasn't ready for top 4D minutes. You aren't arguing that are you? Chych beat our Kcoon for a bottom pairing semi full time role. That isn't a high bar. Great accomplishment for an 18 year old but it might take him a few years to be a top 4D, but he has the potential for sure.

Strome was the #3 pick and would have been the number #1 pick by consensus if McJesus/Eichel weren't in that draft. 3 years after his draft, Strome breaking in and being a 1C/2C is just as good a bet as a 19 year old being a top 4D. Both could happen, but both might not, counting on either or both would be foolish.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
I didn't say chych wasn't ready to be in the NHL last year. I am saying he wasn't ready for top 4D minutes. You aren't arguing that are you? Chych beat our Kcoon for a bottom pairing semi full time role. That isn't a high bar. Great accomplishment for an 18 year old but it might take him a few years to be a top 4D, but he has the potential for sure.

Strome was the #3 pick and would have been the number #1 pick by consensus if McJesus/Eichel weren't in that draft. 3 years after his draft, Strome breaking in and being a 1C/2C is just as good a bet as a 19 year old being a top 4D. Both could happen, but both might not, counting on either or both would be foolish.

Oh I gotcha...I misunderstood what you were saying about Chych being ready last year. Thought you meant ready at all, not ready for top 4...and no, I don't think he was ready for top 4 minutes last year. But there were plenty of flashes where I thought he was more noticeable and effective than Golly was. I do think this year when he gets back up to game speed he will be ready and flourish in a top 4 position, but of course it's by no means a guarantee, just my opinion. My feeling on Strome is that if he does start looking like a 1-2C it won't be until past the halfway point of the season. I hope that I'm pleasantly surprised and he clicks with some linemates early and builds some confidence. I really think a Crouse-Strome-Duclair line would be fun to watch and have some good chemistry, but we'll see what happens...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad