Chychrun’s Megathread V (poll added)

Will Chychrun Be Traded Before The Season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Good finally Klingberg is signed. Lets see the market get going again.
I mentioned Formenton in a previous post.

Is it just me or did the Chychrun to Ottawa smoke get a bit of cold water tossed on it around the time the WJC assault scandal broke?

Is it possible Yotes are waiting on his name to clear?

Ottawa just gave a bunch of wingers very long term contracts. Tkachuk, Batherson, and Joseph. DeBrincat is RFA in a year and will need a long term deal. Stuetzle is RFA now and has been primarily a winger so far. Formenton is also RFA. That’s a lot of wingers with and requiring term.

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
Great move all around on the Klingberg deal. Anaheim will deal him at the deadline with retention, get picks in return, and he can sign a long term deal for big bucks in the off-season after putting up points feeding Zegras and the rest and putting up good power play numbers.

Reactions: PainForShane

rt

May 13, 2004
Great move all around on the Klingberg deal. Anaheim will deal him at the deadline with retention, get picks in return, and he can sign a long term deal for big bucks in the off-season after putting up points feeding Zegras and the rest and putting up good power play numbers.
Ducks fans have to be pretty excited with the way things are shaping up for them.

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
Ducks fans have to be pretty excited with the way things are shaping up for them.
The Hockey News has them ranked #1 on their Future Watch, so they have to be stoke about the coming years. And even though I'm anti-Duck, I've gotta say, their fans are pretty solid out there. I've been to a good chunk of games in Anaheim and they're all pretty friendly and really knowledgeable. Their barn is full of locals and is the least tourist-y place within 100 miles!

Reactions: Mangosteen

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I mentioned Formenton in a previous post.

Is it just me or did the Chychrun to Ottawa smoke get a bit of cold water tossed on it around the time the WJC assault scandal broke?

Is it possible Yotes are waiting on his name to clear?

Ottawa just gave a bunch of wingers very long term contracts. Tkachuk, Batherson, and Joseph. DeBrincat is RFA in a year and will need a long term deal. Stuetzle is RFA now and has been primarily a winger so far. Formenton is also RFA. That’s a lot of wingers with and requiring term.

There have been rumours about the Sens being willing to trade Formenton. Not sure if that's because of the WJC thing or rather because he's probably asking for decent money after a good sophomore season and the Sens think they can replace him on the 3rd line internally with Greig who'll be on his ELC for the next 3 years.

Formenton projects similarly to Greig once fully-developed (40-50P two-way gritty forward) but because it would save the Sens probably around a couple million a year for the next 3 years by replacing him with Greig, I think he'd be the guy the Sens would prefer to trade.

rt

May 13, 2004
There have been rumours about the Sens being willing to trade Formenton. Not sure if that's because of the WJC thing or rather because he's probably asking for decent money after a good sophomore season and the Sens think they can replace him on the 3rd line internally with Greig who'll be on his ELC for the next 3 years.

Formenton projects similarly to Greig once fully-developed (40-50P two-way gritty forward) but because it would save the Sens probably around a couple million a year for the next 3 years by replacing him with Greig, I think he'd be the guy the Sens would prefer to trade.
You’re saying the Sens would rather trade Formenton than Greig? I think that’s pretty clear. I think I’d rather have Greig alone than a package of Formenton, Brannstrom and a 2nd.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
You’re saying the Sens would rather trade Formenton than Greig? I think that’s pretty clear. I think I’d rather have Greig alone than a package of Formenton, Brannstrom and a 2nd.

I expect their production to be similar when fully developed. Wouldn't expect more than 40-50P from either.

Greig is smarter and more skilled but Formenton is one of the fastest players in the league and can create offense out of nothing. Had 18G last year and missed on a ton of breakaways. If he can improve his finishing and continue to bulk up (he's 6'3 but skinny) I think he'll be a 20-30G guy for most of his career, while being a good two-way player and above-average PKer.

rt

May 13, 2004
I expect their production to be similar when fully developed. Wouldn't expect more than 40-50P from either.

Greig is smarter and more skilled but Formenton is one of the fastest players in the league and can create offense out of nothing. Had 18G last year and missed on a ton of breakaways. If he can improve his finishing and continue to bulk up (he's 6'3 but skinny) I think he'll be a 20-30G guy for most of his career, while being a good two-way player and above-average PKer.
I well remember watching Formenton when he was a London Knight. He’s a player I like as a middle 6er. I would still prefer Greig alone over Formenton, Brannstrom and a 2nd. And I suspect you do too! ;)

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Chychrun isn’t getting 3x 1sts. The rumor was the asking price was 3x 1st in “value” comprised of a roster player, a prospect, and an actual 1st.

Example: Formenton+Greig+1st

I’m assuming that left out of the reporting was that there’d be a negative value asset added, without an equally offsetting piece. Thus reducing the return to more like 2.5x 1sts.

Example: Zaitsev+Formenton+Greig+1st

Also, any adds to Chychrun have never been mentioned. I think we can assume there’d be a little something.

Example: Chychrun+WSH ‘23 3rd (c1) for Zaitsev+Formenton+Greig+ OTT ‘23 1st (c2)

(c1) conveys only in the instance that (c2) is NOT triggered.

(C2) = OTT ‘23 1st becomes ‘24 OTT 1st in the event the pick is Top 10

^ all of that craziness essentially amounts to Chychrun for roughly 2.25x 1sts which is more than fair but to the causal observer would align with the reported asking price.

Formenton is a young roster player worth approximately a late 1st. Greig is certainly worth a 1st. And AZ is getting a 1st of some kind from OTT. The Mareks and Friedmans of the world would say this was the exact thing they had reported on. Meanwhile we would know that the 3rd had value, the Zaitsev dump has negative I’ve value, and the conditions on the 1st does diminish that value slightly.
Formenton is one of the few WJHC team embroiled in the gang sex assault that has NOT issued any statement. For what it is worth (we have been talking "character" in this thread).

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I well remember watching Formenton when he was a London Knight. He’s a player I like as a middle 6er. I would still prefer Greig alone over Formenton, Brannstrom and a 2nd. And I suspect you do too! ;)

I'd actually prefer Formenton if the money were the same. Has a skillset the Sens need more.

I'm a skeptic as far as Greig's upside goes. Think he's a guaranteed NHLer and probably a good one, but I don't think he's a star in the making. I'm expecting a 40-50P 2nd line forward out of him.

rt

May 13, 2004
Formenton is one of the few WJHC team embroiled in the gang sex assault that has NOT issued any statement. For what it is worth (we have been talking "character" in this thread).
I was speculating that they’re waiting on a public exoneration. Could be they’re well aware he’s clean but need it public first.

That said, his being local is a bit scary. It would make sense for a London Knight to be one of the accused. Seeing as how the thing happened there and the alleged participants were not all TC players. Means it’s probably they’re both local and somehow connected to one or more TC players.

Even if it comes out that the the victim was sober and did give consent (Virtanen was just found not guilty) and this whole thing was trumped up by the mother (anyone remember the Patrick Kane scandal?) - I could still see teams turned off by kids engaging in gang bangs. That’s not really high character behavior, consensual or not. Then again, he was a teenager and it was a while ago. So who knows.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
I suppose Methot could be connected to Chychrun or his camp directly, but all that matters is what BA is doing and it just seems like a weird time now to trade him. It doesn't feel like there's any smoke.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Getting Spicy

What would the middle piece mean? He has no trade protection and spends his summers in Ontario, wonder why anyone would think he wouldn't go?

I suppose Methot could be connected to Chychrun or his camp directly, but all that matters is what BA is doing and it just seems like a weird time now to trade him. It doesn't feel like there's any smoke.
No smoke in regards to Chychrun but there is lots of chatter in Ottawa that Dorian is not relaxing for the summer and maning the phones lines in search of D upgrades to match what he has done with the rest of the roster.

rt

May 13, 2004
What would the middle piece mean? He has no trade protection and spends his summers in Ontario, wonder why anyone would think he wouldn't go?

No smoke in regards to Chychrun but there is lots of chatter in Ottawa that Dorian is not relaxing for the summer and maning the phones lines in search of D upgrades to match what he has done with the rest of the roster.
It’s not about going. It’s about being excited to go and about wanting to stay. Ottawa has had issues with that. They’re sensitive.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
It’s not about going. It’s about being excited to go and about wanting to stay. Ottawa has had issues with that. They’re sensitive.
I get that but he has 3 years left on his deal, plenty of time to worry about that. Not that much history of guys wanting out of Ottawa.

Reactions: Jakey53

rt

May 13, 2004
They just went through it with Derek Stepan. He was poopy pants.
They’ve had issues before. And you can see their insecurities with DeBrincat. I think that’s the only reason why Methot was emphasizing how much Chychrun would be excited about it. And why wouldn’t he? He’s got local ties and the team is already climbing out of their rebuild, about 2-3 before us and the core is about his age, not a bunch of teenagers not even in the league yet. It makes sense. It makes Sens.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
They just went through it with Derek Stepan. He was poopy pants.
Thats a rather poor comparison. AZ also had that deadbeat. Chychrun would be leaving a tanking team with bodies for an exciting young team on the upswing. Chychrun is also rather attached to Canada while Stepan isn't.

They’ve had issues before. And you can see their insecurities with DeBrincat. I think that’s the only reason why Methot was emphasizing how much Chychrun would be excited about it. And why wouldn’t he? He’s got local ties and the team is already climbing out of their rebuild, about 2-3 before us and the core is about his age, not a bunch of teenagers not even in the league yet. It makes sense. It makes Sens.
My question was more about the would come here part? Every team has had such issues at some point, I don't think Ottawa has had many when they have some promise

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Didn’t Hossa ask out? Heatley. Alfredsson got pissed off and left. None really recent but there is no denying that Ottawa is a less than desirable market so when you can acquire a player excited to join like potentially Chychrun that adds to the appeal.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Didn’t Hossa ask out? Heatley. Alfredsson got pissed off and left. None really recent but there is no denying that Ottawa is a less than desirable market so when you can acquire a player excited to join like potentially Chychrun that adds to the appeal.
I think you have some revisionist history in this post. I don't recall ever reading about Hossa wanting out. Heatley wanted out after a public contract dispute. Alfredsson left as an old guy to chase the Cup, he returned to live on Ottawa after his career ended. The only issues I ever read about Ottawa are arena location and cheap Owner. I recall almost no one that matters asking to get traded out of the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad