Church of Rasmus Dahlin

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't know if I have enough popcorn for this thread. Time to make about thirty lbs worth...

IPW

Apr 30, 2012
SH7jNtX.gif

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
They Call Him The Swedish Jesus

We know he was 2nd for all time points scored by an 18 year old defenseman (and snubbed for the Calder), but how does he compare to those a little older?

19 and under
https://www.hockey-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&season_start=1&season_end=2&rookie=N&age_min=18&age_max=19&pos=D&is_playoffs=N&threshhold=5&order_by=goals

Even here, Dahlin ranks 10th, with Housley ahead of him twice on the list.

20 and under
https://www.hockey-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&season_start=1&season_end=3&rookie=N&age_min=18&age_max=20&pos=D&is_playoffs=N&threshhold=5&order_by=goals

A respectable four way tie for 39th (keep in mind some repeats). 10 pts away from 17th.

21 and under
https://www.hockey-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&season_start=1&season_end=-1&rookie=N&age_min=18&age_max=21&pos=D&is_playoffs=N&threshhold=5&order_by=goals

Drops to a seven way tie for 70th, by now some are on the list three times. 10 pts away from 35th.

22 and under
Player Season Finder | Hockey-Reference.com

Doesn't appear for some reason but would be nine way tie for 104. I'll stop here, I think his 18 year old season speaks for itself.

Two games in and Dahlin paces the team with 4 pts (1 + 3).

Scored this beauty:

Mans even got Okposo a goal:

Interesting interpretation of the numbers.. not that it’s “wrong”, but it’s kinda like saying the Blues are the 9th all-time in Stanley Cup wins.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Also church of Dahlin is such a huge knockoff of church of Pettersson which has been a thing on hockey twitter for almost a year now.

I am quite sure the "church of" predates both players and has been used for several players in the past. You need to lighten up. Don't want to read about Dahlin then don't open the thread.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I am quite sure the "church of" predates both players and has been used for several players in the past. You need to lighten up. Don't want to read about Dahlin then don't open the thread.
Lighten up? I'm just saying you guys are clearly knocking of an idea that Canucks fans started.

Dahlin is great, I love the player.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Did you get confused and think this was a petterson thread?
It stated Dahlin was snubbed of the Calder, it's not hard to understand why I made a post about the guy that won the Calder.

It was pretty unanimous around the hockey community that Elias Pettersson had the better rookie season.

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
Interesting interpretation of the numbers.. not that it’s “wrong”, but it’s kinda like saying the Blues are the 9th all-time in Stanley Cup wins.

In what way may I ask?

As an 18yr old he is close in production to most a year or two older. This year and next should be widening the gap.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Lighten up? I'm just saying you guys are clearly knocking of an idea that Canucks fans started.

Dahlin is great, I love the player.

But you didn't start it? "Church of (insert name here)" has literally been used for likely hundreds of public figures beyond even athletes.

EDIT: edited out the sentences after because I realized after I entered them they were in poor taste. Point stands.

Last edited:

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I'm a member.

I really like what they're doing down in Buffalo. I think the fans there will have a lot to cheer for this year.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
It stated Dahlin was snubbed of the Calder, it's not hard to understand why I made a post about the guy that won the Calder.

It was pretty unanimous around the hockey community that Elias Pettersson had the better rookie season.
Well actually that isnt true.Pettersson is an amazing player but you can't compare a forward with a defencemen cm on now.Defencemen have double the responsibility that a forward has.Pettersson had more points than a defencemen that's great.Both great young players but your taking Dahlin all day if you had to pick between the two

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I don't know why this always gets into a pissing contest on HF between Dahlin and Heiskanen. They are both awesome and every team in the league would love to have either of them.

Residual salt from some posters saying Heiskanen was as good or better than Dahlin, but it's time to let it go. We're not Leafs fans, after all.

Reactions: Go Wings

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Well actually that isnt true.Pettersson is an amazing player but you can't compare a forward with a defencemen cm on now.Defencemen have double the responsibility that a forward has.Pettersson had more points than a defencemen that's great.Both great young players but your taking Dahlin all day if you had to pick between the two
Yeah, going forward as would I.

That doesn't mean Pettersson didn't deserve the Calder, because the majority of the hockey community had him as the winner. Dahlin was not snubbed.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
As the head of the Church of the Magic Giraffe I am pleased to announce that we have reached an agreement with the Church of Rasmus Dahlin that allows their members to receive our blessed toedrag sacrament.

Reactions: Snippit

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
In what way may I ask?

As an 18yr old he is close in production to most a year or two older. This year and next should be widening the gap.
Sure- if you look on the links it would give you a better idea. For example the first claim is 10th in goals over some period, but it seems in reality the list in the link shows Dahlin ranked as something like 24th-so it appears to me the claim of 10th is done by grouping all those ahead that have the same number of goals as 1 ‘spot’ ahead. In much the same way as there are only 8 distinct group #’s of Stanley Cup winning teams ahead of the Blues, but they are far from the 9th winningest team. If that makes sense.. might be easier for you to look and see...

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Sure- if you look on the links it would give you a better idea. For example the first claim is 10th in goals over some period, but it seems in reality the list in the link shows Dahlin ranked as something like 24th-so it appears to me the claim of 10th is done by grouping all those ahead that have the same number of goals as 1 ‘spot’ ahead. In much the same way as there are only 8 distinct group #’s of Stanley Cup winning teams ahead of the Blues, but they are far from the 9th winningest team. If that makes sense.. might be easier for you to look and see...
Hes talking about points not goals....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad