Confirmed with Link: Chris Tierney Extension: 2 Years, $3.5 AAV

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Are there examples of this in the last decade or 2?

I have no interest in informing or changing your mind. If you think Stutzle will zip around with Balcers, Wolanin, CT, White etc. than have at it. Enjoy your day. Our recent D acquisitions including Gud, Brown, and Hainsey should be telling enough.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
NOt sure .. but DEL is a different league and plays on a much larger ice. You do it so he doesn't get crushed and become terrified to handle the puck.

Do you think that an NHL player is going to have an opponent dead to rights for a devastating open ice hit, then pause, see Josh Brown on the ice and decide to not hit the player and get himself benched? Yeah...no.

Tim Stuetzle will have to just avoid getting hit. His incredible agility should help more than the presence of Watson, J.Brown or EG ever could.

Reactions: DrEasy

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Do you think that an NHL player is going to have an opponent dead to rights for a devastating open ice hit, then pause, see Josh Brown on the ice and decide to not hit the player and get himself benched? Yeah...no.

Tim Stuetzle will have to just avoid getting hit. His incredible agility should help more than the presence of Watson, J.Brown or EG ever could.

Ehh.. Ok.

Reactions: Cosmix and aragorn

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I assume the 4th worst team to clearly be a lottery team ... what ever that is worth. For example, the Sens don't offer sheet Sergachev because they may finish 5th last this year and give away a "lottery pick".
I always think of it as the bottom 5 likely because of the old rule where you could only move up 4 spots a d only the bottom 5 had a shot at 1st OA. In the end though, i just feel lottery team loses its intended meaning when you take a literal interpretation and include all playoff teams. Bottom 3, or bottom 5 makes no difference to me,

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
So you DO think that an NHL player will decide not to hit Tim Stuetzle because one or two of Josh Brown, Erik Gudbranson or Austin Watson is on the ice? Just for clarification.

I think the shift to shift physicality against a player like TS if he is playing with BT/Watson or Balcers/White is different. Everything from Body checks, cheap shots to scrums.

Do you think it has no impact? You don’t believe “deterrents” exist in the NHL?

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I think the shift to shift physicality against a player like TS if he is playing with BT/Watson or Balcers/White is different. Everything from Body checks, cheap shots to scrums.

Do you think it has no impact? You don’t believe “deterrents” exist in the NHL?

No I don't believe in deterrents in today's NHL. Maybe a couple of players like Wilson or Reeves MIGHT make a slight difference to a pest like Matthew Tkachuk but on the whole even those two aren't real deterrents. The types of players that are going to try to intimidate through rough stuff certainly aren't going to give a rat's ass whether Josh frickin' Brown is on the ice.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
No I don't believe in deterrents in today's NHL. Maybe a couple of players like Wilson or Reeves MIGHT make a slight difference to a pest like Matthew Tkachuk but on the whole even those two aren't real deterrents. The types of players that are going to try to intimidate through rough stuff certainly aren't going to give a rat's ass whether Josh frickin' Brown is on the ice.

cool ... we disagree.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I always think of it as the bottom 5 likely because of the old rule where you could only move up 4 spots a d only the bottom 5 had a shot at 1st OA. In the end though, i just feel lottery team loses its intended meaning when you take a literal interpretation and include all playoff teams. Bottom 3, or bottom 5 makes no difference to me,
But thats an old rule ... 6OA isn’t really any different. We’re still scrraming that PD traded away a 4oa pick.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Tierney gets moved if and when the center pieces we have make that possible

The risk on the term is us having a playoff contending team in the 21-22 season and the debate about moving Tierney at the TDL that year.
That’s a no brainer, in that scenario you keep him and let him walk. Making a playoff push is more important than getting a pick.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Well I mean Dan Boyle learned pretty quickly to stop with the extras wit EK. His goal was to get into a young EK’s head, and Carks and Neiler disabused him of the notion. Happens all the time.

And yes, The guys who do will still open ice hit, but will understand that a scrap or two will follow if they hit the kids, price you pay instead of no price to pay.

I think it will do is limit the cheap stuff, from the cheap guys who don’t particularly want to take a beating for scrum activities and slashes and cross checks.

It wail also let the kids play with more confidence because while they can’t avoid the physicality of the game, nor do I think they’re looking to, they won’t be intimidated or bullied around the ice.

It’s about setting a tone to the game, not stopping the other team from being physical.

As for CT, i like him. He’s not the flashiest guy, but he’s consistent, and on the PK he gives more than his fair share cheering moments with pick offs, breakaways, etc. Good player (Not great player), and great contract.

My opinion anyways.

Reactions: Cosmix and Sweatred

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Well I mean Dan Boyle learned pretty quickly to stop with the extras wit EK. His goal was to get into a young EK’s head, and Carks and Neiler disabused him of the notion. Happens all the time.

And yes, The guys who do will still open ice hit, but will understand that a scrap or two will follow if they hit the kids, price you pay instead of no price to pay.

I think it will do is limit the cheap stuff, from the cheap guys who don’t particularly want to take a beating for scrum activities and slashes and cross checks.

It wail also let the kids play with more confidence because while they can’t avoid the physicality of the game, nor do I think they’re looking to, they won’t be intimidated or bullied around the ice.

It’s about setting a tone to the game, not stopping the other team from being physical.

As for CT, i like him. He’s not the flashiest guy, but he’s consistent, and on the PK he gives more than his fair share cheering moments with pick offs, breakaways, etc. Good player (Not great player), and great contract.

My opinion anyways.

I think you meant Brian Boyle, but yeah, that is exactly what good enforcers can do. Carkner didnt deter him, he delivered justice afterwards. I remember the Sabres getting emasculated as players would run them knowing there would be no payback. The habs have cretainly adjusted too.

But its often brought up that there's no deterrence when deterrence is seen as if it was the Fonz and no one dares to cross the line. Its that you can provide a response which can do a lot for a teams mental game.

Tierney is fine as a functional player. Your classic poor mans version of a really good player. If you like the idea of signing a poor mans version of a player, you should love Tierney.

Reactions: Sweatred

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Those GMs are most likely always employed by NHL teams that are not scared of spending to the max, buy out some players or even bury them in the AHL (look how much the Habs have spent on that in the last decade)

Look at Vegas, do you think they are "scared" to have signed Mark Stone and Alex Pietrangelo into their late 30's? lol no they want to win now.

Even the Coyotes have been spending despite being the weak market of the Western conference... it's pretty much just Ottawa (Devils too)

Sure, call it what you want, but there are less and less teams willing to do that - or rather, there should be less and less teams because inevitably we hear about the whining and crying about cap space and if we could only move PLAYER X, then we could sign yet another guy to another massive contract that in 5 years they'll be trying anything to get rid of.

Some cycles are smart, some are meant to be broken.

If you want to look at how it's done correctly, then look no further than TB, that has but 1 guy signed past 35. And even they're in cap hell, but they paid their players correctly (perhaps not Johnson etc., but the idea is there) and won a Cup without dipping out into the realms of the dead contract, the over 35 and done contract.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If there isn't any more "deterrents" in the NHL why did so many teams stock up on them for this coming season? Ottawa signed three of them. People have been telling me for the last decade that fighting is being phased out of hockey & yet every yr their are all kinds of fights in hockey, maybe not as many as a decade ago, but still quite a few. And as long as the Tkachuk brothers are around there are going to be a lot more of them.

Carkner had to repay Brian Boyle for the shots to EK & Neil had to set Tanner Glass straight since nobody else on the team could & there are dozen more examples. It still happens & if a player can take out a good player with a good hit from the other team & put him out of a game, he's going to get all kinds of high fives & praise from the players & the coaches. He will also probably have to defend himself next time he steps on the ice, but if the team can get an edge & win the game because of it, he becomes the hero. Neutralizing the other team's best players or putting them out of a game with a big clean hit is still a common defence in the NHL & coaches still want to see that.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
If there isn't any more "deterrents" in the NHL why did so many teams stock up on them for this coming season? Ottawa signed three of them. People have been telling me for the last decade that fighting is being phased out of hockey & yet every yr their are all kinds of fights in hockey, maybe not as many as a decade ago, but still quite a few. And as long as the Tkachuk brothers are around there are going to be a lot more of them.

Carkner had to repay Brian Boyle for the shots to EK & Neil had to set Tanner Glass straight since nobody else on the team could & there are dozen more examples. It still happens & if a player can take out a good player with a good hit from the other team & put him out of a game, he's going to get all kinds of high fives & praise from the players & the coaches. He will also probably have to defend himself next time he steps on the ice, but if the team can get an edge & win the game because of it, he becomes the hero. Neutralizing the other team's best players or putting them out of a game with a big clean hit is still a common defence in the NHL & coaches still want to see that.

Absolutely that's all true....intimidation will allows be an NHL thing unless they remove hitting from the game. It's not just fighting, it's also being bigger, stronger and more all around physical. If you can do that and keep pace you're good

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

Absolutely that's all true....intimidation will allows be an NHL thing unless they remove hitting from the game. It's not just fighting, it's also being bigger, stronger and more all around physical. If you can do that and keep pace you're good

Players will never stop trying to intimidate the other team. Period. It doesn't matter if you have goons on your team or not players will always lean on their opponents, if possible.

Teams sign physical players so they can be the intimidators. To change the way the other team plays with the puck and where they're willing to go, not so that the other team will miraculously stop being physical.

The idea that the toughest hockey players in the world are going to turn into a bunch of p***ycats because Erik Gudbranson is on the ice for a quarter of the game is laughable. You deal with physical intimidation by being mentally tough as an individual and as a team.

If Tim Stuetzle can't handle the odd scrum or players trying to hit him it's because he's not ready for the NHL not because he needs Austin Watson as his RW.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Players will never stop trying to intimidate the other team. Period. It doesn't matter if you have goons on your team or not players will always lean on their opponents, if possible.

Teams sign physical players so they can be the intimidators. To change the way the other team plays with the puck and where they're willing to go, not so that the other team will miraculously stop being physical.

The idea that the toughest hockey players in the world are going to turn into a bunch of p***ycats because Erik Gudbranson is on the ice for a quarter of the game is laughable. You deal with physical intimidation by being mentally tough as an individual and as a team.

If Tim Stuetzle can't handle the odd scrum or players trying to hit him it's because he's not ready for the NHL not because he needs Austin Watson as his RW.
The Sens seem to turn into p***ycats when Boyle & Tanner Glass were having their way with the team until Carkner & Neil stepped in to stop it. Same for the teams that the Leafs knocked out of the playoffs four times.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

It's both actually

I never said a thing about Gudbranson

And no you don't really deal with intimidation by being mentally tough as an individual and as a team.

Reactions: Sweatred

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

If TS’s line gets in a scrum and he has Brady, Watson, and Brown on the ice he pairs up with a completely different player then if he has White, Balcers, and Brannstrom. One of those conditions gets TS (and the rest) folded into the ice on occasion. I’d much rather my rookie pair up with the 4th-5th strongest guy on the ice than the first.

It’s still a contact league.Guys get paid for hits.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Nice signing.

He’ll start the contract as the #1 Center and finish it two season later as the #4 Center behind Norris, Stuz and Logan Brown.
I don’t think the fall to 4th Line will occur over the two year period. Third line perhaps if two of L.Brown, Norris, Stuetzle, and White develop quickly. I suspect he may get traded at the TDL in his second year, but only if three of the youngsters develop quickly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad