Confirmed with Link: Chris Tierney Extension: 2 Years, $3.5 AAV

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
Would have preferred a 1 year deal, but considering we already have 3 2nd's in this upcoming draft (a 2nd is what I suspect Tierney will return at the deadline in '22 if he isn't chosen but Seattle in the expansion draft), I am fine with this deal.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Solid "experienced" player since people are having a hard time with the term veteran (if you're not a rookie or a sophomore, would you be a veteran?).

Hopefully he's our expansion casualty. If not, he's either a roster stop gap during year 2, or traded for a mid round pick. He'll likely net a 3rd unless he turns into a 50 pt two way player with the extra ice time on our current roster and nets us a 2nd or late 1st.

Sounds like a low drama, good hustle guy to keep around for the kids. Honestly would have been ok with 2.8/3.5/4.2 for him.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Another nice signing by Pierre. This appears to be his year of
346B39AC-2E70-447C-840C-29ABDA93DDC6.gif

Agree with most of you who see this as a needed player with experience to bridge the time for your great prospects to be ready. Expansion Draft option but if he plays well enough then perhaps he’ll stay or be traded.

Nice balance of paying the Player in a league wide financial crunch while leaving the Team with several options.
74C238B4-E342-42E1-A6D8-E8B0D187151C.gif

At risk of being repetitive, I’m really happy for you folks to keep getting positive news.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Considering the team he’s on, definitely a veteran. He’s also been through the grind of a Stanley cup final with the sharks in 2016 so I’m pretty sure he can be relied upon based on his experience.

good deal, low risk. Welcome back....Tierns?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Pageau is two years older and him getting injured more than Tierney and playing less games on average in more seasons doesn't matter.

When I think of veteran I think of a guys like Anderson, Hainsey and Ryan. Guys in their 30s that have spent 10YRs+ in the league, not a 26YR old kid.
So guys that are done and should retire. Makes sense.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I like it. Could be really good expansion fodder too, if we feel like protecting a more unproven guy.

So he either keeps us from losing one of our up and comers or he can be moved next year after Norris and, hopefully, Brown have graduated. Meanwhile he's a player that won't hurt us. :thumbu:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Another nice signing by Pierre. This appears to be his year of
View attachment 374397

Agree with most of you who see this as a needed player with experience to bridge the time for your great prospects to be ready. Expansion Draft option but if he plays well enough then perhaps he’ll stay or be traded.

Nice balance of paying the Player in a league wide financial crunch while leaving the Team with several options.
View attachment 374398

At risk of being repetitive, I’m really happy for you folks to keep getting positive news.

I do not consider signing Tierney to be vindication for the crap we have had to endure over his tenure as GM.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Nice signing.

He’ll start the contract as the #1 Center and finish it two season later as the #4 Center behind Norris, Stuz and Logan Brown.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Fair deal, not a long term solution ideal for both the player and the team. I would have walked away if he wanted 4 or more.

Reactions: Matsens15

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Now let’s move on to sign Duclair to a similar AAV for 2 or 3 years.

But Why?

We need to see what we have in Stuetzle, Batherson, Formenton, Norris, Logan Brown, Balcers, Abramov, Chlapik, Davidsson...

before guys like Pinto, Jarventie, Greig, Sokolov, Crookshank... start pushing as well

There isn't that many roster spots left to fill

Tkachuk-White-Dadonov
????????-Tierney-Brown
????????-Anisimov-????????
Paul-????????-Watson

Particularly considering that guys like Stuetzle, Formenton and Norris are pretty much guaranteed to be on the roter sooner than later...

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Funny to hear Garrioch describe a 26YR old who's only played 6 seasons in the league as a veteran.

The NHL has changed.

I went on hockeydb to see the leafs 03-04 roster and they had something like 20 players over 30 years old play for them.

Gone are the days where your Prime is 27-33, and veterans are 35+ and you become Ufa at 30.

Once you hit 30, you're not in your Prime, you're old and about to decline. You're at vet at like 25 lol. It's very common to jump into the league at 19-20. In the day if you made the NHL at 20, they would talk about you as a kid, but now it's almost expected if you're a top player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad