Confirmed with Link: Chris Tierney Extension: 2 Years, $3.5 AAV

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Does he center Stutzle until Stutzle moves to the middle ? CT can flip to wing too.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Dollar value feels a bit high, but I'm glad with the length of the deal.

Good pick for Seattle, at least.

Reactions: bert

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I think we got him on a contract that is below what most expected for him. Whether we trade him this year or not, I think that a good deal makes him more marketable should we trade him the next year. It's a good deal that deserves praise. Vanilla player or not.

It's a meh deal. My preference would be to trade him this year, but it's not the end of the world if he stays one more.

Reactions: bert

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Tierney gets moved if and when the center pieces we have make that possible

The risk on the term is us having a playoff contending team in the 21-22 season and the debate about moving Tierney at the TDL that year.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Tierney gets moved if and when the center pieces we have make that possible

The risk on the term is us having a playoff contending team in the 21-22 season and the debate about moving Tierney at the TDL that year.

Maybe next off season if Norris, Brown, White, Stutzle show any strength down the middle. He may be attractive as a one year rental to a team that would also move him at the TDL. There will be 30 openings from the Seattle draft around the league.

Billy Bridges

Sep 20, 2011
He reminds me of Smolinski. Not so much the style of play, its just that every time he's on the ice I'm tempted to stop watching because he sucks at everything except getting the occasional goal or assist.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Technically it's any team that doesn't make the playoffs
i know technically thats what it is... but i mean in general terms when youre calling a team a lottery team. youre calling it a bad team. a bottom 3 team. not a "good team that just misses out on the playoffs"

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
okay we need to like put a definition somewhere here. for me lottery is bottom 3. a lottery team is a bottom 3 team.

I think that fits the intent of what most mean

Lottery team evokes the idea of a team who finishes in the position where the lottery winners woukd end up picking. It's not tecnically correct (the best kind of correct) but is a more useful interpretationof the term imo.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I think that fits the intent of what most mean

Lottery team evokes the idea of a team who finishes in the position where the lottery winners woukd end up picking. It's not tecnically correct (the best kind of correct) but is a more useful interpretationof the term imo.

Is a lottery team not any team that has a shot at winning the lottery ? That will be 15 teams in 2021? NJ was clearly a lottery team in 2019.... They won the thing. If you want to reference a bottom 3 team, why not say a bottom 3 team?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I think we got him on a contract that is below what most expected for him. Whether we trade him this year or not, I think that a good deal makes him more marketable should we trade him the next year. It's a good deal that deserves praise. Vanilla player or not.

Exactly. As I have been quite vocal on it, I'm not the Tierney biggest fan but this deal is absolutely perfect.

If we gave him 5 years at 4.2 now that would be another story. But this deal allows us to trade him at any point, or leave him exposed for Seattle, which would make him a prime candidate, and maybe we wouldn't lose a younger unproven player instead.

It's amazing how many GMs cant resist giving massive money to plays as free agents that take them into their late 30s.

Those GMs are most likely always employed by NHL teams that are not scared of spending to the max, buy out some players or even bury them in the AHL (look how much the Habs have spent on that in the last decade)

Look at Vegas, do you think they are "scared" to have signed Mark Stone and Alex Pietrangelo into their late 30's? lol no they want to win now.

Even the Coyotes have been spending despite being the weak market of the Western conference... it's pretty much just Ottawa (Devils too)

Fair deal. I was expecting 3.25 , 3.75 so it amounts to the same AAV. Not a Tierney fan but he is a pretty good depth player for just about any team.

I would say "support" player...

Depth is more 4th liners, 13th forwards or bottom pairing D-men

Tierney is more towards the middle of the line-up, a decent/good 3rd liner.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Is a lottery team not any team that has a shot at winning the lottery ? That will be 15 teams in 2021? NJ was clearly a lottery team in 2019.... They won the thing. If you want to reference a bottom 3 team, why not say a bottom 3 team?

Its prose. In common practice, lottery team is used in situation where people's aim is to evoke imagery of a particularly bad team. The penguins were technically a participant in the lottery this year, but i don't think for a min anyone would intend for that to be the team you think of when they say lottery team.

I guess if you are ever unsure what somebody means, you could ask every time if they are refering to non playoff teams or bottom 3 teams or something in between. Typically it will be reasonably clear from the context though.

Reactions: DrEasy

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Its prose. In common practice, lottery team is used in situation where people's aim is to evoke imagery of a particularly bad team. The penguins were technically a participant in the lottery this year, but i don't think for a min anyone would intend for that to be the team you think of when they say lottery team.

I guess if you are ever unsure what somebody means, you could ask every time if they are refering to non playoff teams or bottom 3 teams or something in between. Typically it will be reasonably clear from the context though.

I assume the 4th worst team to clearly be a lottery team ... what ever that is worth. For example, the Sens don't offer sheet Sergachev because they may finish 5th last this year and give away a "lottery pick".

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Dollar value feels a bit high, but I'm glad with the length of the deal.

Good pick for Seattle, at least.

Not the first time I read that the AAV is high, but really?

I mean 3.5 is pretty much the NHL average salary. Tierney would have gotten a bit more if it wasn't for the pandemic affecting the NHL market. He has stats to back it up

It's a meh deal. My preference would be to trade him this year, but it's not the end of the world if he stays one more.

Easier to trade him with this deal... If he signed a 1 year deal, he would have been UFA to be and we don't even know what next season will look like. The market could be widely different, maybe he wouldn't get much at the deadline as an expiring UFA as there would be no market for him. the current economic situation and future uncertainty changed the whole landscape for many teams. They are now dealing with a fat clap for several years.

This contract allows several more options, like Seattle expansion for example.

Now worries, Stuetzle, Norris, Brown and/or White will make him expendable pretty fast IMO.

i know technically thats what it is... but i mean in general terms when youre calling a team a lottery team. youre calling it a bad team. a bottom 3 team. not a "good team that just misses out on the playoffs"

You have to change the term since they changed the lottery rules...

Just say bot-3 team, bot-5 team, bot-10 team or non-playoff team for example. To be more exact... "lottery team" just means a team missing the playoffs now, in that case I would agree.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I pray that we don't have to see our prized prospects play with Tierney, at least not on the regular. I'd hope he plays with the rest of the fodder like Watson.
I think its CT or Arti Party? Cant see White, Norris, or Brown getting the keys to the new German sportscar. If I'm a 18 year old TS, I want 2 of Watson, Gud, Brady, or Brown on the ice at all times when I'm on.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I think its CT or Arti Party? Cant see White, Norris, or Brown getting the keys to the new German sportscar. If I'm a 18 year old TS, I want 2 of Watson, Gud, Brady, or Brown on the ice at all times when I'm on.
Why would Tkachuk get lumped into that group? If Stützle is playing with Tkachuk, Tim will be at C so that would be ideal with Tierney meandering on another line. Hopefully Stützle gets to play with some talent rather than the guys you mentioned besides Tkachuk.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Why would Tkachuk get lumped into that group? If Stützle is playing with Tkachuk, Tim will be at C so that would be ideal with Tierney meandering on another line. Hopefully Stützle gets to play with some talent rather than the guys you mentioned besides Tkachuk.

I just mean he is part of a limited group capable of offering protection. I get that it probably isn't likely.. maybe on the PP. Brady takes faceoffs too etc.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I just mean he is part of a limited group capable of offering protection. I get that it probably isn't likely.. maybe on the PP. Brady takes faceoffs too etc.
What do you mean protection? Are we referring to sheltering him from opposition like the Bergeron line or from non existent goons trying to foul him?

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
What do you mean protection? Are we referring to sheltering him from opposition like the Bergeron line or from non existent goons trying to foul him?
I think he means so Stutzle doesn't get beat up, which IMO isn't necessary. If this is the way the team is thinking, just play him with BT. Keep the Austin Watson's of this world away from Timmy. Will be hard for him to bring the offence if he is saddled with Watson, Brown and/or Gud on the ice all the time. Get Stutzle on the ice with Chabot and watch the magic happen.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

Both …. but I assume he will be protected with matchups or line mates to neutralize anyone taking a run at him. There are still a tonne of guys in the league that do that. He's not going to play with CT and White.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Both …. but I assume he will be protected with matchups or line mates to neutralize anyone taking a run at him. There are still a tonne of guys in the league that do that.
Is that something that his DEL team did with him? Why would you compromise a player's production out of fear for not being able to achieve theoretical retribution? That doesn't make much sense.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Is that something that his DEL team did with him? Why would you compromise a player's production out of fear for not being able to achieve theoretical retribution? That doesn't make much sense.

NOt sure .. but DEL is a different league and plays on a much larger ice. You do it so he doesn't get crushed and become terrified to handle the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad