Player Discussion Chris Tanev, Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I was at the game last night versus the Predators and Chris Tanev is a defensive black hole out there.

Whenever the puck came within 5 ft of him, you can guarantee that Tanev will make the right defensive take-away.

He put on an absolute positioning CLINIC out there and was consistently pwning Nashville on 1-on-1s and even the odd 1-on-2.

His skating is actually getting better I think. Maybe someone else can make an observation on this.

And Tanev owns the PK.

There's no doubt about that. He's the PK QB out there anchoring the box and having everyone revolve around / rotate around him.

If Green likes winning, Green needs to manage Tanev's minutes with a microscope.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks missed the 'top of the market' with Tanev.....in the trade market a couple of years back he might have nabbed them a first rounder and decent prospect. Just what the doctor ordered for a team in a 'rebuild'.

But predictably, Benning and the Canucks were dithering between "winning now and competing for the playoffs' while at the same time building for the future.

Now as a impending UFA, he wouldn't fetch a mid-round draft pick. And I seriously doubt the Canucks re-sign him in the off-season, because he'd be due a raise and would want some term. Not a good combination for a player who's 30 with an injury history.

Another example of 'bad asset management'.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I was at the game last night versus the Predators and Chris Tanev is a defensive black hole out there.

Whenever the puck came within 5 ft of him, you can guarantee that Tanev will make the right defensive take-away.

He put on an absolute positioning CLINIC out there and was consistently pwning Nashville on 1-on-1s and even the odd 1-on-2.

His skating is actually getting better I think. Maybe someone else can make an observation on this.

And Tanev owns the PK.

There's no doubt about that. He's the PK QB out there anchoring the box and having everyone revolve around / rotate around him.

If Green likes winning, Green needs to manage Tanev's minutes with a microscope.

Tanev was an absolute beast last night in a game where the other two defensive pairings were a trainwreck. It's amazing how people still underestimate just how good he is.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Tanev was an absolute beast last night in a game where the other two defensive pairings were a trainwreck. It's amazing how people still underestimate just how good he is.
It isn't that amazing to me, because why he's good is because of simplicity and understated plays.

It's hard to recognize just how subtly good his passing is. His spatial recognition and how quickly he can identify the release valve is incredible.

Last night there was a play where he passed the puck from his own blueline on the right hand side (his side) all the way up to Virtanen who was barelling down the LW. Most defenders probably lead the guy because they're expecting a Left handed player, Tanev quickly recognized it was Virtanen and passed perfectly in stride to Virtanen's forehand (on his off wing). Which doesn't sound like much, and the difference in the pass is may 3-4 feet tops, but it's just little plays like that, that make me marvel at his ability. It's why I'll probably die on the hill, that he'd be an excellent PP player in the Kaberle to McCabe mold. Just facilitate puck movement.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
20 games without an injury so his value should be somewhat up:) . If you have to give an injury prone 30 year old D a raise plus term has the potential for ugly. Myers may have that spot sewn up already.

A rebuilding team should trade him now before he gets hurt again and get what they can. A team in a playoff position keeps him because the trade return is not going to be substantial so why screw with the team's chemistry. Tough call and I would normally say keep him and screw the mediocre return, but its Tanev so how and when does he get hurt?

Trade him or keep him are both potentially smart moves. The only wrong move is probably to resign him for term and pay $5M per year hoping for 50+ games. What will Jimmy do? How interesting is the potential return on a trade might be the decider.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I love Tanev and am glad that we didn’t move him in 2016/2017 like so many people wanted. I wonder what he’ll sign for in the off-season? We can’t really afford to let him go. Can we? I say he gets 6 million AAV. No idea about the term though.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
1. Death
2. Tax
3. Me not getting enough sleep last night

BrilliantAbsoluteEnglishpointer-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: vanuck

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
I love Tanev and am glad that we didn’t move him in 2016/2017 like so many people wanted. I wonder what he’ll sign for in the off-season? We can’t really afford to let him go. Can we? I say he gets 6 million AAV. No idea about the term though.

Tanev is awesome and I would hate to see him go but I don’t think we can afford him. Markstrom contract will take up the bulk of the cap space remaining and pending RFA’s are due for raises. Benning needs to move out Sutter and Baertschi without taking back salary and that’s unlikely to happen, but hey you never know.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Tanev is awesome and I would hate to see him go but I don’t think we can afford him. Markstrom contract will take up the bulk of the cap space remaining and pending RFA’s are due for raises. Benning needs to move out Sutter and Baertschi without taking back salary and that’s unlikely to happen, but hey you never know.

you’re probably right unfortunately.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Tanev is so responsible and positionally sound, he always seems to make the right play. Makes life easier for his defensive partner, no matter who it is. Effective, efficient, solid defenceman.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Get a calculator and do this, 14 P divided by 48 games x 82 games schedule. If that number is higher than any of his points total. That means he got a career year.
Thats what I ment

Last edited:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
:whaaa?:

Holy crap M2B that Portuguese math teacher did a number on ya.

Try again and I'll give you a hint.....what's Tanev’s career point total?
Oops nevermind misred it, thanks Jacky B from T Town

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
It doesn't feel like his career year.

He's definitely not the player he was in 14-15, but this team is only 23 goals away from matching the full season total of Willie D's 3rd year, so he'd almost have to try not to put up more points than usual.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad