Value of: Chris Kreider

DutchNYR

May 6, 2018
You have 2 first round picks, and you offer us the later one, which could be 25+? Come on! There's nothing enticing about that offer for us to move Kreider.

They have three, of which two, plus other pieces, should be included. They can keep Nylander.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
They have three, of which two, plus other pieces, should be included. They can keep Nylander.
I didn't include the Blues pick because it's top 10 protected, although really looking like it'll end up being Buffalo's with the way St. Louis is playing these days. I don't want the biggest piece being Nylander, either.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Wanting McAvoy as part of a package is pretty over the top, but referring to Kreider as a 2nd line winger is pretty inaccurate. He's a guy who is going to score over 30 goals this season and is one of the best drivers of play in the league.

Thats fair. I think he is a 2nd liner on most contenders out there, but he is a top 30 LW.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Thats fair. I think he is a 2nd liner on most contenders out there, but he is a top 30 LW.
I don't have a problem with that opinion. NHL currently has a lot of good top LW. Gaudreau, Ovechkin, Panarin, Tkachuk, DeBrincat, Huberdeau, Skinner, and Hall. Not to mention younger players like Connor and Guentzel. Drouin if you don't put him at center. And even though 16 teams make the playoffs, I don't consider 16 teams to be real contenders, so fair enough.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
You have 2 first round picks, and you offer us the later one, which could be 25+? Come on! There's nothing enticing about that offer for us to move Kreider.
His contract runs until the end of next year. I don't know how much you're expecting us to give up. A late 1st and a wing prospect with upside isn't some garbage offer.

In reality, this isn't a deal the Sabres should be looking to make unless they're positive they can re-sign him.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
His contract runs until the end of next year. I don't know how much you're expecting us to give up. A late 1st and a wing prospect with upside isn't some garbage offer.

In reality, this isn't a deal the Sabres should be looking to make unless they're positive they can re-sign him.
Nobody called it a garbage offer. But if you want Kreider, this offer does nothing for us. This could be a very late first round pick, and we need something a lot better than that. While Nylander has upside, he's not the prospect we need. You can't just throw pieces together and think it makes sense for another team just because a first and a good prospect is involved.

Reactions: bernmeister

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Nobody called it a garbage offer. But if you want Kreider, this offer does nothing for us. This could be a very late first round pick, and we need something a lot better than that. While Nylander has upside, he's not the prospect we need. You can't just throw pieces together and think it makes sense for another team just because a first and a good prospect is involved.

If Nylander does nothing for you, you could have said that. But you said, come on, we need a higher pick!

In general, if a late 1st and a good prospect isn't enough (which it sounds like it isn't) there is no way the Sabres should or would do this.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
If Nylander does nothing for you, you could have said that. But you said, come on, we need a higher pick!

In general, if a late 1st and a good prospect isn't enough (which it sounds like it isn't) there is no way the Sabres should or would do this.
Because we need the higher pick. But, you're right, there is no way Buffalo should try and get Kreider. It doesn't work for either team. Zucc is a better option, and a cheaper option, but his contract status is a concern.

Reactions: Samsonite23

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT

It's also not the type of offer it'll take for us to move Kreider. Nash went for a late 1st plus and he was half the player Kreider was as a pure rental, at double the price.

Kreider is one of those guys where it'll take a stupid overpayment. If a team is interested in that, great. If not, no hard feelings.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
possibly, but cap is a precious resource we should spend as makes sense, but otherwise try to bank for when needed

Kreider is not a given here, but I would consider part of any premium asset - including Kreider/Hayes/Zib/Zuc - to be possible opportunity to take less coming back and move Smith.
There are other options there too.
Just saying as a general policy, we can be open to improving our cap now for dividends that may pay later.

I want ample profit, not just to marginally win the trade.
Exact situation depends on specific assets, but generally I would take futures IF there is enough additional picks/prospects value to offset risk factor - known commodity vs unknown.
I don't know about 'equivalent', but McAvoy or Parayko could be core basis of a package that would work.

Did you just mention Parayko and core of trade in reference to Krieder..... If so absolutely no! If i read it wrong then i apologize. Parayko is not for sale and not as a piece for Krieder.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Although the Bruins need someone for the right side on the first or second line I think you a at least see what it would cost for Kreider............would a Tory Krug be some one to start with ?

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Next deadline I think these late 1st and not top prospects returns is going to be the type or return the Rangers will be looking at for Kreider as at that point he will not have the extra year left.

And I don't like it.

But given that is about what top rentals go for, either teams are seemingly going to have to wait until he is a pure rental or they are going to have to offer more than what the Rangers would get next deadline.

Rangers are in a tough spot, if they can not get more than that, they may as well wait.

If they can get only a moderately better return, I don't think any trade is going to satisfy the fans or the organization.

Yet if they wait until next deadline they are going to be faced with extending him to pretty much whatever realistically he wants, or taking back rental like return.

And I like that even less.

In my mind if the Rangers can get back something like two rental like returns rolled into one now, I think that is about the best case scenario short of a desperate over payment, or Kreider extending with them for the same as he'd get as UFA (which he has no reason to do before he tests the market to see what he'd actually be offered)

Holding out in hopes either case plays out seems like the wrong play to me.

It's not like there are not examples of about what a top end player can return who has a year left, Rangers have bought some of them in MSL, Yandle.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
It would have to be a major over payment IMO to get Krieder this year. Maybe next year he will be available for fair market value if a new contract can't be worked out.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester

to be fair while Kreider would be an amazing add to the sabres this deal doesn't make sense either way. Sabres cant afford to keep Kreider and skinner long term so giving up top end assets to aquire Kreider for one year when we sure as hell aren't cup contendors next year isn't exactly smart on our end either. But that being said yes that offer was light.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
These Kreider threads are all the same.
Straight up for prime Gretzky is not enough for the Rags fans.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Honestly I’d rather just sign Kreider long term than trade him. He’s a unique player and everyone seems to love him on the team (and he’s great friends with Zib). Would be a great vet to keep around if he wants to stay here

Reactions: bernmeister

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Next deadline I think these late 1st and not top prospects returns is going to be the type or return the Rangers will be looking at for Kreider as at that point he will not have the extra year left.

And I don't like it.

But given that is about what top rentals go for, either teams are seemingly going to have to wait until he is a pure rental or they are going to have to offer more than what the Rangers would get next deadline.

Rangers are in a tough spot, if they can not get more than that, they may as well wait.

If they can get only a moderately better return, I don't think any trade is going to satisfy the fans or the organization.

Yet if they wait until next deadline they are going to be faced with extending him to pretty much whatever realistically he wants, or taking back rental like return.

And I like that even less.

In my mind if the Rangers can get back something like two rental like returns rolled into one now, I think that is about the best case scenario short of a desperate over payment, or Kreider extending with them for the same as he'd get as UFA (which he has no reason to do before he tests the market to see what he'd actually be offered)

Holding out in hopes either case plays out seems like the wrong play to me.

It's not like there are not examples of about what a top end player can return who has a year left, Rangers have bought some of them in MSL, Yandle.

I think you hit the nail on the head. The "double rental" guys like Yandle don't net that much more than a straight rental. And, as you know, a "two rental like returns" scenario isn't going to happen. Especially not with a lot of wingers on the market this TDL.

Rangers should wait. See if they can re-sign him and then trade him at the TDL next year if they can't. Nothing wrong with getting a 1st + prospect for Kreider, a 1st + prospect for Hayes, and a lessor package for Zuccarello after the Nash and McD hauls last year.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I think you hit the nail on the head. The "double rental" guys like Yandle don't net that much more than a straight rental. And, as you know, a "two rental like returns" scenario isn't going to happen. Especially not with a lot of wingers on the market this TDL.

Rangers should wait. See if they can re-sign him and then trade him at the TDL next year if they can't. Nothing wrong with getting a 1st + prospect for Kreider, a 1st + prospect for Hayes, and a lessor package for Zuccarello after the Nash and McD hauls last year.

Yandle along with a 4th and non NHLer, returned at the time one of the Rangers top prospects in Duclair, a 1st, a 2nd, a roster defender J Moore.

MSL plus a 2nd returned two 1sts, roster player in Callahan, and a 7th,

I think both those are better than a 1st and B prospect even while most of that turned into nothing.

Mostly I think it's worth more due to where the Rangers are, they need as many swings at the draft as they can get, the more they have in any one draft the better the chances they can combine some of those picks to maybe move up, or just plain hit on them. Not that I think there are any guarantees, that could all be a bust, yet that to me is the type of risk/reward scenario every re-builder who does not win the lottery or move up has to deal with if they have any chance at drafting future playoff advancement level changing players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad