Value of: Chris Kreider

apoptygma

2-5-9-11
Apr 9, 2011
I think Kreider will not be a part of NYR at the start of 20/21 season. His contract and age is not a good match for NYR timetable for the rebuilt. Looks like NYR management set a 3-stage selloff for this rebuilt, to be sure that there was always some decent veteran players to insulate the prospects coming up. Stage 1 was Nash/Grabner/McDonnough, stage 2 will be Zuccarello/Hayes/McQuaid and the final stage at deadline 2020 should be Kreider/Spooner/Namestnikov (and possible Vesey/Fast). IF they are even worth anything we might see a Smith & Shattenkirk trade at the end there aswell.

What NYR would want for Kreider is lottery tickets in some kind of form. Picks or prospects, or young players with a upside they have not reached yet. Nash got a 1. a good defense prospect and some more minor stuff. Think that and add to it for Kreider if you want him this season. NYR can also help out with retaining salary, or take a shorter contract back if needed.

Jayan

NYR fanatic
Jul 6, 2012
Talking about the idea of moving and playing with better linemates, this JT Miller.

Hes played with good linemates in NYR over the years also. Didnt help him.

Its hard to compare Kreider since the type of physical-monster powerforward hes become is so rare.

But on topic, Namestikov is exactly the same issue, got boosted by Stamkos - Kucherov, but cannot drive a line or even contribute unless paired with stars.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I've said it before, and i'll say it again. I've yet to see Charlie Coyle and Chris Kreider in the same room.

-Coyle is more versatile because he plays C as well as RW
- Coyle is RH, making him slightly more desirable.
- Coyle is almost a year younger.
- Coyle makes 1.5M less/yr.

countered with;

- Kreider is faster.
- Kreider scores more goals, and slightly more PPG.

-They score a similar amount of points.
- they are exactly the same size, and both very strong.
- they both have had their injury problems, but are not what I'd call injury prone.
- they both have periods of play where they look elite
- they both are very frustrating, because they aren't consistently good
- their contracts are up at the same time, at the end of 2019-20.

Would I trade Coyle for Kreider, as a Wild fan? NO, but that is only because Coyle is our only RHD forward in our top 9, we need his C skills, and need the extra cap space that Coyle's contract gives us. In a vacuum, I might value Kreider more...but hockey isn't played in a vacuum. Part of that is that Charlie is wearing out the fan base in MN with his disappearing acts.

I would say that Coyle is worth a mid-late 1st, or a prospect with sub elite promise that hasn't broken out yet, or a Scandella'ish type top4 Dman.

Kreider's value can't be all that much different. LH wings are the least valued position in hockey.

Last edited:

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Kreider is definitely valuable player but he absolutely is not a "nothing short of a haul" type player. Yea he's fast, strong, good net front presence, etc but on his good days he's an impact player (not to be confused with a gamebreakers), on his bad days he's invisible. And he is what he at this point so any "potential" discussions should end.

That said, I'd peg him a 1st round pick plus a NHL caliber prospect (not top tier though) and probably a middle round pick

All this under the premise NYR want rebuilding pieces

Reactions: NewYorkNick

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
Kreider is definitely valuable player but he absolutely is not a "nothing short of a haul" type player. Yea he's fast, strong, good net front presence, etc but on his good days he's an impact player (not to be confused with a gamebreakers), on his bad days he's invisible. And he is what he at this point so any "potential" discussions should end.

That said, I'd peg him a 1st round pick plus a NHL caliber prospect (not top tier though) and probably a middle round pick

All this under the premise NYR want rebuilding pieces

I'd prefer keeping Kreider for this offer, assuming the first rounder is mid-late. However, I agree that would realistically be his value, maybe even without the later pick.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
I'd prefer keeping Kreider for this offer, assuming the first rounder is mid-late. However, I agree that would realistically be his value, maybe even without the later pick.
I agree. The 1st and the prospect are really dependent on each other. If it's a late first the prospect needs to be of better quality. If it's a bubble playoff team (mid first round pick potential), it's probably a lesser prospect

Reactions: NewYorkNick

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I've said it before, and i'll say it again. I've yet to see Charlie Coyle and Chris Kreider in the same room.

-Coyle is more versatile because he plays C as well as RW
- Coyle is RH, making him slightly more desirable.
- Coyle is almost a year younger.
- Coyle makes 1.5M less/yr.

countered with;

- Kreider is faster.
- Kreider scores more goals, and slightly more PPG.

-They score a similar amount of points.
- they are exactly the same size, and both very strong.
- they both have had their injury problems, but are not what I'd call injury prone.
- they both have periods of play where they look elite
- they both are very frustrating, because they aren't consistently good
- their contracts are up at the same time, at the end of 2019-20.

Would I trade Coyle for Kreider, as a Wild fan? NO, but that is only because Coyle is our only RHD forward in our top 9, we need his C skills, and need the extra cap space that Coyle's contract gives us. In a vacuum, I might value Kreider more...but hockey isn't played in a vacuum. Part of that is that Charlie is wearing out the fan base in MN with his disappearing acts.

I would say that Coyle is worth a mid-late 1st, or a prospect with sub elite promise that hasn't broken out yet, or a Scandella'ish type top4 Dman.

Kreider's value can't be all that much different. LH wings are the least valued position in hockey.

Good write up, but Kreider also plays a very good physical game, is strong on the boards, and is one of the best net-front players in the league (those stats don't show up outside of deflections and rebounds)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Good write up, but Kreider also plays a very good physical game, is strong on the boards, and is one of the best net-front players in the league (those stats don't show up outside of deflections and rebounds)

I mentioned that Kreider is very strong, but so is Coyle. He is a chiseled 230 lbs. About the only guys that are stronger are guys like Chara, Big Buff, and a maybe a healthy Weber.

I find those two interesting because they are so similar, just like Scandella and Hamonic are, but that's a story for a different thread.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Hes played with good linemates in NYR over the years also. Didnt help him.

Its hard to compare Kreider since the type of physical-monster powerforward hes become is so rare.

But on topic, Namestikov is exactly the same issue, got boosted by Stamkos - Kucherov, but cannot drive a line or even contribute unless paired with stars.

JT never played with anyone like Kuch and Stamkos. Suddenly, he is a noticeably productive player. Coincidence? The point being that Kreider may finally look like he is a proficient offensive player if he played with the likes of Marchand or Pasta or the aforementioned.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
JT never played with anyone like Kuch and Stamkos. Suddenly, he is a noticeably productive player. Coincidence? The point being that Kreider may finally look like he is a proficient offensive player if he played with the likes of Marchand or Pasta or the aforementioned.

Miller's playing on what's either our third or fourth line right now, and playing pretty awesome against lesser pairings. He's been a bright spot to start the year for sure. But I want to see him show something in the playoffs before I'm sold on his long-term future here.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Bjork for kreider. Deal?

Not sure how a mediocre (and very ****ing strange) musician is fair compensation for a legitimate good player like Kreider....

But I’m willing to risk this science experiment.

images

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas
Forr who? Chris Kreider? Are you serious? Lmfao.

If we're moving out 70% of our future then you best believe we're aiming a hell of a lot higher than Krieder, even with Lucic in the deal.

Hey, here's something. How about we keep all our good young prospects and 2 firsts and let Lucic bounce back to the 50 points norm. We get basically the same production as Kreider without sacrificing a hugeee chunk of our future. K thx.
How's them Oilers doing? ;)

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
It was an obvious topic and needed and please don`t close Rangers topics please (mods) - not too many of them here in pre season, hehe. :nod:

Leafs was interested in C. Kreider, but as many Leafs fans mentioned it start to get crowded with forwards, but maybe they lack speed and toughness who Kreider is among the best in NHL and no doubts about that.

Nylander was mentioned who might be the odd piece out for Leafs based on cap reasons and they need to save cap. to improve their overall defense! :)

So who else are interested in Chris Kreider now? Well both Leafs & Oilers were interested earlier at least last season.

Chris is 27 years old and he is more likely outside the age category for Jeff Gorton who is going to rebuild for the future in NY.

So here is Kreider career stats: Chris Kreider Stats and News

Draisaitl + Lucic for Kreider + Shattenkirk

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Prospects naturally are a good replacement.

I'd love Kreider in Boston but not for an absurd price. He never hit his potential. Middle six himself and we have plenty of that, like Heinen.

all rangers fans on here can admit I have been the biggest critic of Kreider and his perceived trade value, but honestly if you think he's a middle six forward you are out of your mind.

There really is no debate hes a top six forward. Its always been a debate if hes an elite or top line forward

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
all rangers fans on here can admit I have been the biggest critic of Kreider and his perceived trade value, but honestly if you think he's a middle six forward you are out of your mind.

There really is no debate hes a top six forward. Its always been a debate if hes an elite or top line forward

There is certainly overlap between middle six and top six... I think he is a good second liner. Look at his stats.

A debate of whether elite or top liner is a short lived debate!! Over 21 goals... one time.

Reactions: Tripod

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Elite: career high 53 points

I pity the person/people trying to defend that stance.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00