Dreger: Chris Kreider could be moved

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I think his point is that there aren't enough 1st rounders to go around for all of these guys from the Rangers, + all of the guys available on other teams, to return 1st rounders+. There's only a limited number of teams buying, and the Blues and Flames already don't have 1st rounders for this upcoming year.

Who are the top players available other than Rangers??

Evander Kane? Dude hasn't scored in a month and if I'm a playoff team with young players I stay as far away as possible. I bet every buyer would prefer our available forwards to Kane.

OEL and his MINUS 65 over the last two seasons?

Mike Green is pretty good but of course you take McDonagh over him as well.

I would be petrified to give up serious assets for Bailey since who knows how he would look without Tavares.

Reactions: haveandare

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Who are the top players available other than Rangers??

Evander Kane? Dude hasn't scored in a month and if I'm a playoff team with young players I stay as far away as possible.

Kane should still fetch a 1st. LeBrun says Jackets think they can get a 1st for JJ (who knows how long that idea will last, but they still think it), Green should get a 1st, if Grabner is in a conversation for a 1st round pick somehow then Maroon absolutely is in that conversation as well (identical number of points, don't think either gets that, though - 2nd each), if Vegas decides to move one of their pending UFAs (Neal / Perron, there were some rumblings about that a while ago I believe) then they should get a 1st back, if the Senators decide to move someone as has been rumored (Hoffman? Pageau?), Pacioretty is clearly available, might see the Coyotes sell someone and maybe a quality veteran D like Hammer is in that 1st round pick conversation. Could also see teams like the Canes entering that group of sellers over the next couple weeks too. Maybe Detroit figures the relationship with AA isn't so good and consider moving him.

Some of the pieces I listed are longshots to be moved, specifically the Vegas players, but I think there's very much a group there (Kane, Green, Patches, some Sens players, Hammer) that are all likely available, and that are all in that conversation with varying Rangers players to be worth 1st rounders. There aren't going to be 5-10 1st round picks moving at the deadline - when's the last time we saw that?

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Stepan and Raanta were moved for the 7th overall and ADA.

I expect Kreider, and his friendly contract would get similar value on draft day. He’s 26.

And yea...

Blood clot...

He’s got one of the best, (if not the best) medical staffs in hockey making sure he recovers to the fullest.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Kane should still fetch a 1st. LeBrun says Jackets think they can get a 1st for JJ (who knows how long that idea will last, but they still think it), Green should get a 1st, if Grabner is in a conversation for a 1st round pick somehow then Maroon absolutely is in that conversation as well (identical number of points, don't think either gets that, though - 2nd each), if Vegas decides to move one of their pending UFAs (Neal / Perron, there were some rumblings about that a while ago I believe) then they should get a 1st back, if the Senators decide to move someone as has been rumored (Hoffman? Pageau?), Pacioretty is clearly available, might see the Coyotes sell someone and maybe a quality veteran D like Hammer is in that 1st round pick conversation. Could also see teams like the Canes entering that group of sellers over the next couple weeks too. Maybe Detroit figures the relationship with AA isn't so good and consider moving him.

Some of the pieces I listed are longshots to be moved, specifically the Vegas players, but I think there's very much a group there (Kane, Green, Patches, some Sens players, Hammer) that are all likely available, and that are all in that conversation with varying Rangers players to be worth 1st rounders. There aren't going to be 5-10 1st round picks moving at the deadline - when's the last time we saw that?

Fair enough. I also hope we get more prospects and NHL ready players anyway.

For instance, no interest in Tampas first round pick. I want some combo of Howden, Foote, Raddysh and Katchouk for McDonagh.

Or a possible trade with the Wild like Spurgeon/Kunin/Greenway. Fox from the Flames, Thompson/Kyrou from the Blues, Armia from the Jets. If Vegas is going for it, Suzuki.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
if Grabner is in a conversation for a 1st round pick somehow then Maroon absolutely is in that conversation as well (identical number of points, don't think either gets that, though - 2nd each)

Grabner is a threat with his speed. He creates his own offense, unlike Maroon who feeds off better players. Maroon's career high in goals was 11 until he started playing with McDavid. Grabner is great on the PK. Maroon has 12 seconds on the PK in 50 games. Grabner is also great defensively and generates a lot of his offense through takeaways. Their values aren't close.

Lustaf

Nov 26, 2008
Victoria, BC
mjl.gif
Perfect reaction.

Sprong + 1st for him would be fair IMO.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think NYR are just plain exploding the team and the only untouchable is Lias Andersson.

Lots of wings available, just don't know who needs wings the most other than Edmonton, but I'll just say Kreider to the Bruins, Blues or Leafs.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
There is definitely more supply than demand this season. I hope this is the reason for such an early declaration of the rebuild. By committing to it early, you eliminate the competition from a lot of teams that are on the fence right now and also open your market to teams that think with 30 games left their shot is still there. It's bold, no question. But do I think all 16 playoff teams surrender their 1st rounders by the deadline? No. This is musical chairs and somebody is going to get stuck with players they wanted to trade and either couldn't find a buyer for or sold for way less than their perceived value is around here.

Reactions: Crease

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
There is definitely more supply than demand this season. I hope this is the reason for such an early declaration of the rebuild. By committing to it early, you eliminate the competition from a lot of teams that are on the fence right now and also open your market to teams that think with 30 games left their shot is still there. It's bold, no question. But do I think all 16 playoff teams surrender their 1st rounders by the deadline? No. This is musical chairs and somebody is going to get stuck with players they wanted to trade and either couldn't find a buyer for or sold for way less than their perceived value is around here.

Personally, if we end up being "stuck" with McDonagh and Zuccarello at a combined 9.2 M, I'm ok with that. I'd much rather that happen than Gorton trade them for .50 on the dollar. There's always the draft and next year's trade deadline to get returns for them if you don't plan on re-signing them. Even if we're rebuilding, having those guys be mentors and steady players for the young players on our team wouldn't be a bad thing.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Fair enough. I also hope we get more prospects and NHL ready players anyway.

For instance, no interest in Tampas first round pick. I want some combo of Howden, Foote, Raddysh and Katchouk for McDonagh.

Or a possible trade with the Wild like Spurgeon/Kunin/Greenway. Fox from the Flames, Thompson/Kyrou from the Blues, Armia from the Jets. If Vegas is going for it, Suzuki.
Edit: HA! Thought this was for McDonagh and assumed the price was Spurgeon + Kunin + Greenway. Have to check my thread titles.

If we're just giving up one of those for Krieder... I dunno. I assume they'd want more than just, say, Greenway, though. His salary's a problem for Minnesota, too.

Last edited:

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I think he's suggesting that it's strange a team just 3 points out of a playoff spot, with ~30 games to go, is publicly announcing "screw it, we're rebuilding." I don't expect the Rangers to make it in regardless of what they do, but the Rangers' management is, for all intents and purposes, announcing that they are sort of tanking for the rest of the year and that they don't even want to be in the playoffs. You don't publicly announce the beginning of a rebuild if you want to win. It's frankly a really weird thing to announce in the midst of a season, when the team is still sort of middle of the pack. It's the sort of announcement you either never expect, or expect at the end of a season when the team has naturally had a really poor finish.
They are nowhere near the misdle of the pack if you’ve been watching them. They are horribly outshot and outpossessed 2:1 almost all the time. Most of each game is in their zone shelling Lundqvist. They would have less than no chance winning a round if they made it.

As a fan I’m ecstatic management can see through the standings being decent and realize where the team is. They need to be changed significantly but I hate the idea of moving Kreider

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Personally, if we end up being "stuck" with McDonagh and Zuccarello at a combined 9.2 M, I'm ok with that. I'd much rather that happen than Gorton trade them for .50 on the dollar. There's always the draft and next year's trade deadline to get returns for them if you don't plan on re-signing them. Even if we're rebuilding, having those guys be mentors and steady players for the young players on our team wouldn't be a bad thing.

Or we could always fire AV, then every player who has been underperforming will start to get going, and I mean literally every player because every on of them has regressed and there is only one common denominator. We get Shatty and Kreider back and make a run for the playoffs.

Not the worst fallback option? No. I wish this was option number one.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Or we could always fire AV, then every player who has been underperforming will start to get going, and I mean literally every player because every on of them has regressed. We get Shatty and Kreider back and make a run for the playoffs.

Not the worst fallback option? No. I wish this was option number one.

That's the rub, isn't it? Until AV goes, it really doesn't matter who we add. His system is idiotic and his "turn the other cheek" nonsense would turn players like Getzlaf and Perry into soft baby poo.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Teams in the hunt don't have cap room to add contracts here. Plus teams are starting to grasp giving away picks for short term solutions that may or may not work may not be the way to go. NY may want to trade many guys, but there are only so many deals to be made.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
A) thats quite the overpayment
B) thats not quite how trades work

A) What your team is looking at is two more Stanley Cups--like 4 in a row---so those 1st rounders of yours would be #31OA's--absolute tail end of the first round. It ain't an overpayment in my eyes. Actually I'm not all that jazzed about Sprong either. Maybe you should add.

B) I don't give a f*** about how trades work or how you think they should work and I really don't want to trade Kreider. So if something better can't be worked out we'll just go our separate ways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad