Dreger: Chris Kreider could be moved

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
They are dropping like a rock in the standings, have major injuries, and have been getting embarrassed on the ice recently. Staying pat with the current team and not getting assets for at least Nash and Grabner would be a horrible mistake; as would not at least considering moving the guys who have big trade value that we would need to resign at the end of next year with no guarantees.

That being said, I would be very surprised if they traded Kreider.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
You obviously were not watching when Buffalo traded any goalie that tried to win a game the year they were going for McDavid. NHL did not care a lick, and Arizona was trying just as hard to lose every game that year, it was the most obvious front office sabotage job I have seen in recent years.
Yet they both lost the lottery to the oilers... #Rigged or #anti-tank or luck

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I think this is the type of professional assessment of this franchise that, frankly, has never occurred in my memory and I have been following since 1985. This is the type of cold, calculating management you normally just dream about. What this is boils down to is assessing this roster, assessing this coaching staff and honestly estimating their chances for success. Is it worth it to miss a chance to maximize asset management for the chance to squeak into a wild card spot? Even if you do, you match up against the top seeds and then what? You may wind up like the Preds and go to the finals. But you probably will not. This team has gone above and beyond in the last ten plus years. Look it up. This is the most successful sustained period in Rangers history. But along the way, to make that happen, there have been so many futures mortgaging tomorrow to pay for today that finally, the bill is due. You cannot wait until your marketable assets are no longer marketable. They cannot rot on the vine chasing small odds. This is the right path. It is the painful path, but the right path for the future of this team.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
Sprong + 1st + a 2nd is more like it. We don't want Hunwick. It is in the Metro, I am not even sure they would make the trade.

I would do Sprong + 1st, but instead of 2nd, we'd have to shed salary, so Sprong + 1st + Hunwick, then the rangers flip Hunwick for a 2nd/3rd round pick to somewhere??

Jauffre

Registered Grandmaster
Oct 10, 2009
Cloud Ruler Temple
Benching Lunq will have the NHL sticking their noses around.
Better keep playing him, even though he's pretty much burned out right now! After all he's on pace for 68 GS anyway! f*** him. Wan't let the NHL in on our tanking scheme. GM Jim Gorton already announced a tank anyway! Kill Henrik!

BringBackLibertys

Oct 10, 2007
Middlesex, NC
I would do Sprong + 1st, but instead of 2nd, we'd have to shed salary, so Sprong + 1st + Hunwick, then the rangers flip Hunwick for a 2nd/3rd round pick to somewhere??
I don't see Hunwick getting a second, more like a fourth, so no. Honestly, in the Ducks offer we were asking for 2 former first rounders and their next 1st. That is the kind of overpayment it would take. I was actually being nice making it a 2nd instead of two 1sts. He is part of the young core that I don't think they want to move, it would cost someone a whole lot to get him, even more for someone in the Metro. Best not to ask I guess....

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I think he's suggesting that it's strange a team just 3 points out of a playoff spot, with ~30 games to go, is publicly announcing "screw it, we're rebuilding." I don't expect the Rangers to make it in regardless of what they do, but the Rangers' management is, for all intents and purposes, announcing that they are sort of tanking for the rest of the year and that they don't even want to be in the playoffs. You don't publicly announce the beginning of a rebuild if you want to win. It's frankly a really weird thing to announce in the midst of a season, when the team is still sort of middle of the pack. It's the sort of announcement you either never expect, or expect at the end of a season when the team has naturally had a really poor finish.

It's really not that weird if you've watched the team play this season. The fact that they're close to a wild card spot is purely do to a couple months of stellar play from Lundqvist. Realizing that they need a change is forward-thinking, and putting it out there to the fans is the kind of transparency that's needed in a media-crazed city like NY.

Reactions: shinchanyo

david999

Jan 21, 2011
Dreger is the best. The Rangers release an open letter to their fans telling them that the team will be on a mission to get younger and rebuild for the future. He then of course comes out and claims the Rangers may trade an injured Kreider as if this is “insider news”.
What a scoop!

Reactions: Brent Burns Beard

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
doubt it. Gortons presser said he wanted speed skill and character thats basically describing Chris Kreider.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
I proposed Klefbom and Slepyshev for Kreider and Deangelo earlier. Makes even more sense now with McDonagh also a good bet to be moved this deadline.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
I admire their rebuild intentions but what they are doing is certainly anti-competitive, destroying the integrity of the game, especially with informal announcements of one.

This is a team that has literally never earned a top 5 pick because they have never given up on even the slimmest chances of a playoff berth. Never. Not one natural top 5 pick. You picked the wrong franchise to accuse of "destroying the integrity of the game." If they look a little clumsy at tanking, it's probably because they are one of the only teams in the league who have never effing tanked before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad